• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Tablet announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you can't disable "Natural Scrolling" on the touch pad of the integrated cover...
Wondering if that's an OS limitation or specific to the cover, because that's the first thing I turned off in my wife's MBP when she upgraded to 10.8.

My guess is they made it like that, because the touch pad on the cover is pretty small and you'd need to scroll a lot more without it.

coldfoot

Banned
My guess is they made it like that, because the touch pad on the cover is pretty small and you'd need to scroll a lot more without it.
Natural scrolling means that you scroll in the opposite direction of your finger movement on the touchpad, as if it was a touchscreen. All they need to do is provide an option to invert that, which even Apple does.

hwalker84

Natural scrolling means that you scroll in the opposite direction of your finger movement on the touchpad, as if it was a touchscreen. All they need to do is provide an option to invert that, which even Apple does.
Inverted on a trackpad??? I've honestly never heard of that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't make sense to allow typical scrolling in such proximity to a touch screen. Moving between the two would be jarring, Apple wouldn't give you this option if you also touched the screen on those devices IMO.

Its bad enough switching between natural and traditional when I go from Mac at home to PC at work. I can't imagine transitioning between the two in less than a second on a single device.

coldfoot

Banned
It doesn't make sense to allow typical scrolling in such proximity to a touch screen. Moving between the two would be jarring, Apple wouldn't give you this option if you also touched the screen on those devices IMO.

Its bad enough switching between natural and traditional when I go from Mac at home to PC at work. I can't imagine transitioning between the two in less than a second on a single device.

Wife has no issues going from that to her iPhone in a second. She actually tried using it like that for 2-3 weeks before asking me to see if there is a way to turn it off. I had assumed initially that Apple wouldn't even bother putting such an option so I had not even looked for it :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wife has no issues going from that to her iPhone in a second. She actually tried using it like that for 2-3 weeks before asking me to see if there is a way to turn it off. I had assumed initially that Apple wouldn't even bother putting such an option so I had not even looked for it :)
Sure, but there are psychological differences in switching between two devices and using two interfaces for one device. I am not saying it isn't possible to adapt, or that people should even prefer one to the other, just that I understand why MS would not make it an option in this specific case.

coldfoot

Banned
Just that I understand why MS would not make it an option in this specific case.
Not having such a basic option is analogous to not having the invert Y axis option on a FPS. Some people will NEVER get used to natural scrolling with a touchpad. Not providing an OPTION is not defensible.

bananas

Banned
My sister just bought a Surface. A little jealous.

Edit: Oh shit, wrong thread bump. Sorry, googled Neogaf Surface and this popped up. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom