• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 10 event - October 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Molly this is so out of touch.

Nothing that they have shown is for professionals, some indie comic-book doodles and perspective sketches. You can combine sketches and words! WOW!

How about not skimming on components? Hybrid HDD? Medium-end laptop GPU? No Ethernet ports? Can you even encode a video for two hours without overheating the system, let alone use the peak performance of both GPU and CPU without catching fire?
That's what I've been saying

But I hope Wacom's been getting worried so they can start pricing competitively and updating their Intuos/Cintiq lines

wildfire

Banned
And of course they forgot to mention that the 16 hours of battery life was for video playback, not regular usage. 🙄

I see it but I refuse to believe it. 16 hours of video is insane. Batteries aren't that good.

I can't imagine they tinkered with their software to get this performance because Intel doesn't allow tinkering with their hardware.

kiguel182

They probably intend to make the Studio much less expensive come next iteration. That price seems to be for enterprises only and I don't think Microsoft wants to ignore the consumer market like that.

Let's wait and see what they do I guess.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Had to go out and just caught up. The Surface Studio is gorgeous but I'll be waiting for future iterations.

The price is really high but I paid almost as much for my Cintiq so it's not totally out of line with what artists and designers are used to paying.

Zaph

Ok, so someone in the market for something like this is used to these prices.

oh yeah, it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for an expense report.

People's initial comparison to the iMac is a mistake - totally different markets.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That pricing is utterly insane, and in many ways, worse than Apple's.

$3K and ...

...no SSD, (I'd much rather have a 512GB SSD than hybrid - I'm done with spinning disks outside consoles).

... 8GB RAM

... a 965M (last-gen and already medium-end laptop chip)

... core i5 skylake

I just can't for the life of me imagine dropping three grand in basically 2017 and utilizing a spinning disk to load images into photoshop from c:/

Is this targeting every day users? Absolutely not. This is abbusiness device through and through; and the price isn't quite as hard to swallow.

But I work with multiple ad agencies all the time - a target I'd suspect is right in line with Microsoft'a sights - and I truly can't see them moving away from their large intuos pads to this.

Microsoft announces VR headsets, yet their "best-in-class" laptop only has a 965m GPU making it unable to run VR . . . and then has the gall to price it at $2400. That's 800 dollars more than last year's equivalent model without 800 dollars of real benefit.

I understand Microsoft didn't want to repeat the mistake of using bleeding edge processors this year after what happened with Skylake bugs, but I can't imagine why they couldn't get Nvidia to give the Surface Book something VR capable.

I hope the hinge at least is a little sturdier this year. The thing was so wobbly that you could barely use the pen on the screen upright.

BioFan

I understand Microsoft didn't want to repeat the mistake of using bleeding edge processors this year after what happened with Skylake bugs, but I can't imagine why they couldn't get Nvidia to give the Surface Book something VR capable.

saving it for next year? Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 5?

Sony

Nintendo
When Apple announced their products and people say that it's overprised, the counterargument is always "yeah but you pay for the experience not for the specs". Why are people failing to take into account that the Surface Studio has a touchscreen and pen input? That is an actual tangible addition to the desktop experience. Not the grapics of the UI. It doesn't make sense.

Yes but the current device is old as fuck this year aka right now.

Really wish they had a refresh out for the Holidays.

I think MS is waiting. Skylake was a glitchy release and made the SP4 and SB look kind of bad. Those have been fixed, but Intel left a bad impression and it was considering MS was the lead taker on those chips.

Intel dropped the ball on skylake. MS is just waiting to make sure these chips are stable for their devices.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This thing is actually a game changer for art centric studios

Just for comparison, a Wacom 27HD is like 3000 dollars and that's just a tablet, with a worse screen.

But this thing will live and die by how good the pen input is

Ugh Surface 3 (non pro) is old as fuck, and we still don't have an update.

Indeed.

I'm on mine right now, but how would they update it right now?

Its display is still good. The power is enough for what you'd expect an Atom CPU to do.

If they upgraded it, what improvement would warrant me spending another 500 on a non pro?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'd be allllll over this hardware if it didn't run fucking Windows.

Once they truly reinvent the OS part of the deal, i'm jumping in. Windows 10 is just as terrible and top-heavy as every windows version before it.
It's time to finally ditch all that legacy garbage and create a fast, lean and modern OS.

Wiseblood

I wonder what they mean by "Rapid Hybrid Drive", because this is clearly an M.2 drive. M.2 SSD + separate mechanical drive I guess?

MxtuLb5.png

Reflecting on what I just saw:

• I didn't think there was anymore more insufferable than Jony Ives, but then Panos came along.
  • Surface Studio is the only notable part of the show. Good stuff, except for the old GPU. :/

Wanted a Courier, got something almost as appealing, but not for home use.

Looking forward to a new iMac announcement at this point (since Microsoft's philosophies with their Windows development path doesn't mesh with me).

Microsoft is making the products I wish Apple were. If only I weren't so comfortable with Apple then this might have grabbed me

jstripes

Banned
I wonder what they mean by "Rapid Hybrid Drive", because this is clearly an M.2 drive. M.2 SSD + separate mechanical drive I guess?

Could be like Apple's "Fusion Drive" tech. Combining an SSD and HDD as one logical drive, and intelligently figuring out what belongs on what.

its called studio for a reason, this isnt supposed to be your pro gaming pc.

im in marketing and myself and the people i worked with lost their minds seeing this.

MarkusRJR

Man, I wish I had the money to buy something like that. Looks so nice.

I think MS is waiting. Skylake was a glitchy release and made the SP4 and SB look kind of bad. Those have been fixed, but Intel left a bad impression and it was considering MS was the lead taker on those chips.

Intel dropped the ball on skylake. MS is just waiting to make sure these chips are stable for their devices.
I'm still surprised what a mess Skylake is. MS at least releases updated drivers, but literally every other manufacturer has old glitch drivers. My i7 Skylake laptop will constantly have display driver issues and force close everything. I tried 3 different models (two i5's and an i7, all from different manufacturers) and the crappy integrated graphics card would glitch out on all of them. Working in photoshop or even Web browsing on Firefox is a mess (both force close randomly during use).

What's worse is that while you can download the latest display drivers that fix the issues mostly, MS's update system automatically downgrades it back to the manufacturers ancient glitchy drivers.

This thing is actually a game changer for art centric studios

Just for comparison, a Wacom 27HD is like 3000 dollars and that's just a tablet, with a worse screen.

But this thing will live and die by how good the pen input is
it's gonna be good.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Today in shit The Verge says:

I don’t even have a Windows PC, and it’s been a few years since I’ve played around aimlessly in MS Paint. But its status as a classic, timeless program (I refuse to call it an app!) should divorce from the burden of modernization and software updates, especially ones that encourage you to customize emoji and share them on Facebook.

Edit:

This shithead introducing the Surface Studio is unbearable.

RrmGNia.png

Just got Surface Pro 4 about a month or so ago and it's been an awesome machine for me so far.
Seems like they're waiting until next year for a Pro 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom