• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One reversals haven't hurt us; "we're in an enviable position"

Remember, leading up to the console reveals, even MONTHS before, there were already the leaked documents and developers SAYING Microsoft was stopping used games, and nothing was coming out about that from Sony. They managed to keep the PS+ Online requirement secret, but used games? You would've seen devs leaking that info out. But it was only Microsoft because Sony was never that dumb.

Even if Sony were about to do it (They weren't), then you have to concede they were able to just 'flip a switch' to turn it off without causing any issues and MS seems to be fucking stumbling to the launch date like a game of QWOP.

Foffy

Banned
The only thing I can envy is how a den of snakes can feel absolutely "comfortable" having to change almost all of their policies because consumers have told them all of them are atrocious. Seriously.

What they meant to say:
Microsoft: Xbox One reversals and listening to customers has helped us; "we're in a better position. Thanks gamers!!"

I don't think people are expecting MS to go sit in the corner and cry softly for two months. Actually, I do think some people are expecting that. And not only are they expecting that, we are going to hear it over and over until launch.

That's not what I meant. I apologize for being intentionally short and glib. What I mean is: Coming back from all this saying "We're in an enviable position," is not humble. It's defensive. It's out of touch. It inspires 14 pages in 6 hours on Gaf.

rawd

I still can't believe YouTube and IE are behind a paywall. How are they not going to address that and 180 it

Yado

That's not what I meant. I apologize for being intentionally short and glib. What I mean is: Coming back from all this saying "We're in an enviable position," is not humble. It's defensive. It's out of touch. It inspires 14 pages in 6 hours on Gaf.

"We remain true to our vision - digitally and physically - and we are genuinely in an enviable position versus anyone else in being able to deliver that."

He's referring to what they have to offer and it sounds more like confidence in their product than arrogance to me.

I have one and I'm perfectly fine with what they have changed. They took a global smack to the face and switched gears, and now the Xbox One looks very appealing to me. I have a PS3 and thats after they told me to get a second job, overhyped the cell, PSN got hacked after they touted being superior to Xbox Live, and as a company put malware in their own devices
http://news.cnet.com/Sony-settles-rootkit-class-action-lawsuit/2100-1002_3-6012173.html

And thats just a couple of things Sony has done. Does this mean you shouldn't get a PS4? Nope. Companies change when they make mistakes. New people come in, replacing the old - strategies change when sales don't match up, ect - MS has changed the Xbox One polices months prior to its release. So if you buy it or not, it should be IMHO if you like what it offers or not. But continued hate over their mistakes while glossing over Sony's doesn't make a person look very smart. Only hypocritical.

How do you feel about their past and current constant lies and twisting on the XB1 tech specs?... the problem is that they haven´t stopped buddy. That´s my beef with them... quite the dishonest, lying bunch.

Respawn

Banned
I guess I don't understand their PR.

On one hand, you have someone admit that they didnt treat their Xbox fans right and goes on an apology tour.

On the other hand, you have someone come out and say Microsoft was completely committed to their fans from the start and that they're in an enviable position.

So which is it? Are they apologetic or are they completely satisfied with their whole plan from day 1?
Glad someone picked that up.

Vizzeh

Banned
Not just juniors. I've noticed that on other gaming sites GAF is being branded as some sort of "SonyGAF" haven. That GAF is one, big entity picking on poor MS and giving Sony every pass imaginable.

Gaming and tech go hand in hand on GAF, so they analyse the figures more, have an apparent better under standing of paper hardware specs, so therefore with PR, price, understanding of the tech that is probably why alot of Gaf are getting ps4 (and still quite a few x1) - Where as iv been on other forums/facebook groups and alot just dont have a clue on what their talking about spec why, they eat up all the fluffy cloud buzz words and wonder why their console is spoke off in such way. (complete generalization but thought it may have been relevant to compare a Gaf gamer to a casual)

Enviable? I suppose if you're Nintendo, maybe.

Not even. From its inception the xbox division still has yet to make microsoft any money. Nintendo has been profit profit profit for decades until now. Plus the 3DS looks like it is on its way too exploding like the ds lite. No one envies microsoft right now. No one.

In the past? It was less than 30 days ago!!

Sony didn't just get a free pass after their launch fuck ups PS3 gen. It took YEARS for them to win many of the formerly faithful back. And eventually they did, not through empty words but through kickass game after kickass game. Action not hollow words.

In the first months following launch GAF ridiculed the PS3 just as bad as the Xbone, and Sony executives had to get the arrogance beat out of them. Their PR was JUST AS bad right after launch. Remember this:

http://youtu.be/_mdd7H1wQDM

Again it took years for many to trust Sony again.

Just in the past lol. You are way to forgiving. Microsoft is going to have to prove to me they aren't full of words. PR bullshit ain't going to win the day.

That's the thing though. Eventually, people will get over it. Just like it took years for people to give Sony another try you say, just get over it now. Because people will get over it Years later anyways.

Maybe it's because I'm old these days. They've changed stuff for the better. They changed stuff that fans wanted changed. Move on now to the future and prepare for some great games. Both consoles are going to be awesome.

Hell, PSN was hacked to hell and it didn't take me long to trust them at all. I stayed on PSN with my credit cards and couldn't of cared less. Fuck it. Things happen and HOPEFULLY the company changes stuff. If they don't... They deserve it. If they do change... then start living in the present and future and get out of the past.

I feel it's like a lover scorned or something. That love will return to your heart again if you're a true gamer. I feel true gamers game on all the consoles they can afford to have.

I understand that the general consensus is that Microsoft can do no good going into this upcoming generation, but, really, they've done everything you would want a corporation to do when faced with consumer backlash. They've listened, they've made changes, and they're ensuring to communicate that this is how they are going to operate moving forward.

So, what would MicroSoft have to do, beyond what they're doing now, to appease gamers?
Get in a time machine, go back and not attempt to insult their user base by attempting to enact all of this anti-consumer policies.

And also while they're at it, go back and support the Xbox 360 with first party releases for the 2nd half of its life.

Easy junior, lets not get too emotionally invested.

like someone on every microsoft thread? :)

Bingo. This is exactly what Microsoft needs to be doing instead of rambling on & on about DRM policies as well as damage controlling, etc.

It's not making them look better; it's making them look worse.

thats the point..they havent changed at all,they just reacted to the preorders just to survive this generation

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Microsoft really doesn't understand they're not in the position to brag or toot their own horn right now. I would understand if it was a small gaffe but it was about a month and a half of negative press after negative press. Just eat that humble pie for now and keep it moving.

I understand they've got to persuade consumers still that they have the best product this fall and beyond, but you'd imagine they'd be even more careful when it comes to phrasing after everything that's happened. Now is the time to be calculated, when a portion of the public is actually giving you a second chance.

Finalizer

DC R1D3R should've been banned for that ridiculous comment.

Well you'll be pleased to hear the news then...

2013_%2525209_%2525206_%2525203_21.gif

This image is gonna get some mileage methinks

The Flash

Banned
Microsoft really doesn't understand they're not in the position to brag or toot their own horn right now. I would understand if it was a small gaffe but it was about a month and a half of negative press after negative press. Just eat that humble pie for now and keep it moving.

I understand they've got to persuade consumers still that they have the best product this fall and beyond, but you'd imagine they'd be even more careful when it comes to phrasing after everything that's happened. Now is the time to be calculated, when a portion of the public is actually giving you a second chance.

61100-thor-this-post-I-like-it-anoth-wq6Z.gif

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
This is one of the best real life examples of doublethink I've ever seen. The sentences keep coming even though so many directly contradict each other. It'd be different if this was a prepared statement but it's coming from an interview. The thought process to be able to do that kind of thing on the fly is pretty interesting.

Liberty4all

Banned
That's the thing though. Eventually, people will get over it. Just like it took years for people to give Sony another try you say, just get over it now. Because people will get over it Years later anyways.

Maybe it's because I'm old these days. They've changed stuff for the better. They changed stuff that fans wanted changed. Move on now to the future and prepare for some great games. Both consoles are going to be awesome.

Hell, PSN was hacked to hell and it didn't take me long to trust them at all. I stayed on PSN with my credit cards and couldn't of cared less. Fuck it. Things happen and HOPEFULLY the company changes stuff. If they don't... They deserve it. If they do change... then start living in the present and future and get out of the past.

I feel it's like a lover scorned or something. That love will return to your heart again if you're a true gamer. I feel true gamers game on all the consoles they can afford to have.

you are missing the point. Sony learned the hard way this gen that pride goeth before a fall. People got over it because Sony was forced to prove they had a system worth owning ... One that catered to consumers. It took Sony years to win back the trust their initial arrogance had squandered.

Microsoft hasn't done shit yet except try to fuck all of us over with their crazy DRM scheme. They took it back so fucking what. it wasnt out of a sense of humility, it was because they think we are too stupid to "get" what they were trying to do.

So yes it may very well take a year or two or even longer for them to win consumer confidence back. That will come in part when they bring the goods, but also once they win our trust back
.. And based on how they sound pr wise right now they are still at the beginning of PS3 year one. Humility doesn't come easily to these companies it has to be pummeled in by consumers speaking with their wallets.

The Flash

Banned
I seriously doubt that powers that be at Microsoft believe their own PR. PR is PR. What they are thinking and saying behind closed doors is not what they are going to relay to some random game journo. They might come around later on and "admit" that they were wrong but that won't be for a while. Whenever I see any of their PR, I immediately finish whatever it says in my mind with "at least this is what I was told to say".

I honestly think they should have just stuck with it, but at the end of the day if the consumer doesn't want something, they don't want it. Simple as. You (the company in question) telling them how great 'x' is and how we "just don't know any better. This is good for you" isn't going to change that.

And "enviable" lol. I don't think any of their competing companies are envious of what position MS is in. Definitely not the word I'd be using there.

I don't think "people just got over it" is an accurate description of what happened over the years. The tides slowly changed because of a number of things.

One, Sony went out of their way to repair their image and attract people back to the Sony ecosystem. The whole company underwent a huge internal business change, they invested heavily into first/second-party output, and offered services like PS+.

Two, Microsoft went in a direction most gamers didn't want; the focus on Kinect and media. Not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but combined with the fact that it seemingly took away from other, more "hardcore" focused titles was what caused problems. They got lazy and just hinged on Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable for the last four years. It also didn't help that the last games of three of those franchises were mediocre at best. Also, smaller things like raising the price of Live and making even the most basic of functions put behind the paywall as well. Not to mention the better (perceived) value of other services like Steam and PS+.

Really though, the negative sentiment behind Sony didn't change until late 2011/early 2012. I mean saying "people got over it" isn't really telling the whole picture.

And the "true gamer" thing? What does that even mean? Is one who only plays Nintendo games or only on Nintendo systems not a "true gamer?" Even if they spend just as much, or even more time and money as someone who owns multiple systems? Not everyone has the time or interest in every system, even if they can afford it.

The reversals haven't hurt you. It was the original plans you had that hurt you.

DING DING DING!

Plus the PS4 pre-orders are stomping all over bone.

NeoGAF is predominately pro-PS4. I don't think I am going that far out on a limb. So, it's easier to simply say "NeoGAF" as a collective, with the understanding that we are all in the pro-PS4 camp. How would I better communicate this?

Nothing wrong with it being mainly pro-PS4.

NeoGAF is predominately pro-PS4. I don't think I am going that far out on a limb. So, it's easier to simply say "NeoGAF" as a collective, with the understanding that we are all in the pro-PS4 camp. How would I better communicate this?
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason GAF users tend to be so pro-PS4 is because of Microsoft's conduct over the past year, their original policies which were ridiculously anti-consumer and the way they dealt with the criticism initially by telling people without reliable Internet service to get an Xbox 360 instead, "have you seen Titanfall" and the like?

It's not just some blind allegiance with no basis on the merits like some dissenters are portraying it as.

Lots of these anti-MS posters own Xbox 360 consoles and have been buying up all the games for it since 2005. Not lifelong Sony fanboys.

neohwa

good for MS to change. they actually don't have to do that and still could be No.1.

that's why competition is a good thing. now only if Nintendo listen to us and willing to compete..........

eastmen

Banned
you are missing the point. Sony learned the hard way this gen that pride goeth before a fall. People got over it because Sony was forced to prove they had a system worth owning ... One that catered to consumers. It took Sony years to win back the trust their initial arrogance had squandered.

Microsoft hasn't done shit yet except try to fuck all of us over with their crazy DRM scheme. They took it back so fucking what. it wasnt out of a sense of humility, it was because they think we are too stupid to "get" what they were trying to do.

So yes it may very well take a year or two or even longer for them to win consumer confidence back. That will come in part when they bring the goods, but also once they win our trust back
.. And based on how they sound pr wise right now they are still at the beginning of PS3 year one. Humility doesn't come easily to these companies it has to be pummeled in by consumers speaking with their wallets.

Except the DRM scheme is being embraced over in the valve threads .

Remember on this very forum people said MS couldn't let 10 friends borrow your digital library , there is no way , ms is lieing its just demos .

You remember all those posts right ? Cause people were responding to me a night or two ago saying the same thing. That all the positives of the drm were lies.

But when you break down the original DRM you have

1) Physical / DD are treated the same as DD

2) You can download your DD to any console you put your gamer tag on.

3) You could create a special friends list of and share with 10 people .

4) You could sell your media

5) you had to connect once every 24 hours

The only negative I see here is having to connect once every 24 hours.

The rest are all positives but people continue to claim its crazy or worse.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason GAF users tend to be so pro-PS4 is because of Microsoft's conduct over the past year, their original policies which were ridiculously anti-consumer and the way they dealt with the criticism initially by telling people without reliable Internet service to get an Xbox 360 instead, "have you seen Titanfall" and the like?

It's not just some blind allegiance with no basis on the merits like some dissenters are portraying it as.

Lots of these anti-MS posters own Xbox 360 consoles and have been buying up all the games for it since 2005. Not lifelong Sony fanboys.

What wrong with asking Have you seen TitanFall? I guess I'll never understand all the negativity of that comment. I hear nothing but great things from TitanFall...maybe if the game blew... I just don't get it.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
What wrong with asking Have you seen TitanFall? I guess I'll never understand all the negativity of that comment. I hear nothing but great things from TitanFall...maybe if the game blew... I just don't get it.

Just a meme to describe blowing off criticism with some irrelevant BS.

Liberty4all

Banned

I handled pr for MSXBOX-WORLD (now defunct) until 2011. Enthusiast press but still ... Point being id hardly call myself a "Sony Fanboy" ... But the original 360 I loved for its funky titles experimental titles(chromehounds), its minimalistic dashboard (RIP), its emphasis on xbla titles at fair prices (400 and 800 pts, those wre the days) ... Circa Kinect and new dash era it didn't even feel like the same console anymore.

Xbone feels like the pinnacle of everything I had started to dislike about the 360, combined with horrid policies they STILL sound proud of despite the 180.

FeiRR

Banned

Major Nelson bullied Angry Joe in the interview. He treated Joe with disrespect just because Joe is not a professional journalist (which means nothing, by the way) but a Youtube blogger. This tells a lot about Microsoft's attitude towards passionate amateurs and gamers (like me and majority of GAFfers) and really has nothing to do with their DRM, console, etc. I'm not going to buy anything from people who disrespect me so blatantly.

I'm referring more so to that entire interview and the context in which it was said. That's why he got so much ridicule for that comment. I'm guessing you haven't seen that interview.

The Flash

Banned
Major Nelson bullied Angry Joe in the interview. He treated Joe with disrespect just because Joe is not a professional journalist (which means nothing, by the way) but a Youtube blogger. This tells a lot about Microsoft's attitude towards passionate amateurs and gamers (like me and majority of GAFfers) and really has nothing to do with their DRM, console, etc. I'm not going to buy anything from people who disrespect me so blatantly.

I'm sorry but no. A video of a guy being rude to another guy one time is going to put you off from buying a particular product from a company. You know, that's your decision, I respect that, but I cannot agree with this path of logic, at all. One video, one grab of a microphone and one man is condemned to damnation for all of entirety. No, I'm not having that. I've had my bad days just like everyone else does. The difference is that no one has put a video on YouTube for the whole world to see.

Top Bottom