• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's answer to the Wiimote

Innotech

Banned
Linkzg said:
but why would he be defending? I wasnt attacking.

I think the wiimote is cool for a lot of different game types, but I dont know if developers are really making good use of the advantages of it yet. Like, any first person game on the wii that allows you to look around is flawed, that includes Metroid Prime 3 and whatever other FPS on the system. Metroid Prime 3 worked, but it still needed a lock-on button. The perspective is automatically flawed and negates the benefits of superior accuracy that comes with the wiimote. Yet you still see first person shooters on the wii and not third person which would be far superior in every single way.
trust me when I say it doesnt. and you will die extremely quickly if you try to lockon too much in MP3. Locking on is effectively used to strafe circles around a central enemy, while actual aiming is completely free. Also you have to be fairly accurate, because hit targets become increasingly smaller and enemies get progressively faster/more deadly. Its not even in the same league as MP1 or 2.

yoopoo

Banned
Lets be honest, you guys don't really give a crap if this device improves/deproves game controls. You just wanna see the reaction from these MS munchkins when Halo in waggle form is revealed.

It'll be Sony E3 2006 epic.

I know I'm sooo looking forward to that moment.

Vaxadrin said:
I wouldn't worry, your average 360 owner will be in Gamestoop looking for the next Cod or Halo type game, see a Micromote/Banjo pack, and make in internal split-second decision to never play it, ever. We won't have forced waggle in Ninja Gaiden 3. It would be a trainwreck.

No more heroes was a bit too forgiving reading motions for wrestling moves and finishing strikes, but it proves the slasher action genre works with the wiimote, as long as basic attacks are confined to buttons.

Its becoming more apparent waggle detractors simply havent sampled the full spectrum of the console library.

KevinCow

Banned
professor_t said:
I'm not a die-hard fan, by any means, but I love the 360's library and I'll be sick to my stomach, forever and always, if I have no choice but to do waggle gaming in the future.

If this is true, perhaps Sony is our only hope . . .
So do you just hate "waggle" because you've jumped on the "nongames lol, waggle sux" bandwagon, or have you actually tried it with an open mind and formed your own opinion?

What with your "waggle is ruining gaming!!!" mindset, I'm gonna say the chances that you tried it with an open mind are zero to none.

I hope both Sony and MS go with motion controls next gen. Not because I particularly care either way, because honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot to come from them so far. But just because I highly anticipate some hilarious "GAMING IS RUINED OH NO!!!" rants from people like yourself.

Though the pointer, now, that's where the real Wii innovation lies, and regardless of whether they do motion controls or not, MS and Sony would be fucking stupid to not adopt something similar to the pointer into the standard controller.

Banned
yoopoo said:
Lets be honest, you guys don't really give a crap if this device improves/deproves game controls. You just wanna see the reaction from these MS munchkins when Halo in waggle form is revealed.

I know I'm sooo looking forward to that moment.
I know I am.
you guys wanna keep on trucking with that 4 buttoned abomination, contradicting about a thousand wii/360 threads than go right ahead.

Ariexv

There aren't enough lols
What? Banjo 1 was pretty damn close in quality to Super Mario 64(SM64-94 avg, Banjo-92 avg) and Banjo 3 is made by the same team. It might not be as amazing as galaxy is but It'll be alot closer then any other platformer.

Esperado

beef3483 said:
Have you played HOTD 2 & 3? It does this. Except that you don't have to map out all four corners, because of the standards in dimensions, you only need to map out two opposing corners.

Is it wrong to assume that you map out the corners using an on screen pointer? That you point the on screen pointer towards each corner and press a button to map it? That you still primarily rely on an on screen pointer to shoot things? Because that would still be calibrating with respect to the sensor bar and not the TV screen. I mean, sure, the Wii remote is very accurate in the bounds of the sensor bar, but my comment was the Wii remotes position with respect to the TV screen. Man, I hope I don't sound like a jerk in that post.

Innotech

Banned
yoopoo said:

I know I sooo looking forward to that moment.
looking at the proposed design, Im not sure it WILL improve control like the Wiimote can. for one thing, it really does need a nunhchuk sort of side controller, because that assists the wiimote to do more complicated gaming. This controller would seemingly only work in excite truck or a few other simplistic Wii games. It would be unplayable in Prime because the nunchuk is used for grappling and needs a separate motion sensor. I like the wii zapper shell because you can hold the nunchuk close to the Wiimote (attached to the back) and hold it like a analog controlled uzi (and similar to the GunCon3). Its gimmicky but really fun effect, but it wouldnt work in that configuration with Prime3.

Ariexv

Innotech said:
I actually used two candles before when someone was using my sensor bar (Two Wiis at a Smash party one had a broken bar) and if you place the candles near the sides of the TV, approximately near the center of each side, you have effectively a sensor bar laid across your TV screen and it is extremely accurate. I dont recommend using candles though for fire hazard, but any light source will work. Ideally a small LED placed on each end of the TV should also do the same thing. Tape one of each on each side. I havent tried this method yet.
How would that work @ the middle of the screen? The Wii trys to track it by from the button or from the top of the tv.

Esperado said:
Is it wrong to assume that you map out the corners using an on screen pointer? That you point the on screen pointer towards each corner and press a button to map it? That you still primarily rely on an on screen pointer to shoot things? Because that would still be calibrating with respect to the sensor bar and not the TV screen. I mean, sure, the Wii remote is very accurate in the bounds of the sensor bar, but my comment was the Wii remotes position with respect to the TV screen. Man, I hope I don't sound like a jerk in that post.

The pointer gets turned off. Its all about 1:1 movement ratio after calibration. Sensor bar bieng different size than tv doesnt matter. Remember in math class where 3/9 is equal to 1/3?

beef3483

Esperado said:

It maps the TV and it's dimensions in respect to the sensor bar. All it asks is for you to do is point at two opposite corners with the wiimote. There is no reticule in the calibration. In fact, the calibration is so precise that you can choose to play without a reticule during the game.

Also, as long as there is a clear line of sight, there shouldn't be any problems reading the sensor bar.

KevinCow said:
So do you just hate "waggle" because you've jumped on the "nongames lol, waggle sux" bandwagon, or have you actually tried it with an open mind and formed your own opinion?

What with your "waggle is ruining gaming!!!" mindset, I'm gonna say the chances that you tried it with an open mind are zero to none.

I hope both Sony and MS go with motion controls next gen. Not because I particularly care either way, because honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot to come from them so far. But just because I highly anticipate some hilarious "GAMING IS RUINED OH NO!!!" rants from people like yourself.

Though the pointer, now, that's where the real Wii innovation lies, and regardless of whether they do motion controls or not, MS and Sony would be fucking stupid to not adopt something similar to the pointer into the standard controller.

I would say you couldn't be more wrong, but I suppose it IS possible . . .

I own a Wii. I like it quite a bit. But I don't want that style of gaming to be my only choice. Waggle works better for some things, a traditional controller works better for others.

If my ONLY option is waggle, I'll be tremendously disappointed, because I don't think it excels in all things. Does this mean I hate waggle? Absolutely not.

This isn't rocket science, folks.

Innotech

Banned
Esperado said:
no you dont. Its true that if you aim with the wiimote it isnt truly 1:1. As you saw in vids I posted (or didnt perhaps) once you become used to the small offset your reaction time is split second accurate. It really is the fastest most accurate control method for shooting I have seen since the light gun or arcades. I honestly feel that dual analog feels incredibly clunky and old-fashioned next to IR aiming of any kind. and funnily enough, the NES had a lightgun and it really should have evolved from there.

Vaxadrin said:
Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?

The genre isnt suited for waggle but can still be done in grand fashion on a waggle setup. Buttons for basic attacks/blocking/movement, waggle for moves that are used sparingly such as killing strikes, flourish moves etc. NMH also lat you adjust the angle of your strikes by the tilt of the controller. A nice mechanic that wasnt tiresome.

edit: The point IS waggle can be used for practical purposes within any genre. Im not saying we forsake buttons. They definitely deliver certain mechanics better. Waggle comes into its own ironicaly when its used wisely IN TANDEM with ..."classic" inputs.

Jirotrom

professor_t said:
I would say you couldn't be more wrong, but I suppose it IS possible . . .

I own a Wii. I like it quite a bit. But I don't want that style of gaming to be my only choice. Waggle works better for some things, a traditional controller works better for others.

If my ONLY option is waggle, I'll be tremendously disappointed, because I don't think it excels in all things. Does this mean I hate waggle? Absolutely not.

This isn't rocket science, folks.
its not the only option with the Wii... doubt it will be the only option with other consoles.

Ariexv

Probationsmack said:
The pointer gets turned off. Its all about 1:1 movement ratio after calibration. Sensor bar bieng different size than tv doesnt matter. Remember in math class where 3/9 is equal to 1/3?
There's still some problems.... the HoTD 2&3 Calibration doesn't work on my 58" plasma, it picks up the button right corner but when I go to point at the top left it says that I'm pointing off the screen.

beef3483

Innotech said:
no you dont. Its true that if you aim with the wiimote it isnt truly 1:1. As you saw in vids I posted (or didnt perhaps) once you become used to the small offset your reaction time is split second accurate. It really is the fastest most accurate control method for shooting I have seen since the light gun or arcades. I honestly feel that dual analog feels incredibly clunky and old-fashioned next to IR aiming of any kind. and funnily enough, the NES had a lightgun and it really should have evolved from there.

HOTD 2 & 3 after calibration is pretty damn close. Like I said, you can turn the reticule off and still play.

Jirotrom

Probationsmack said:
The genre isnt suited for waggle but can still be done in grand fashion on a waggle setup. Buttons for basic attacks/blocking/movement, waggle for moves that are used sparingly such as killing strikes, flourish moves etc. NMH also lat you adjust the angle of your strikes by the tilt of the controller. A nice mechanic that wasnt tiresome.
No More Heroes pretty much did all the controls just right for the most part... it never felt intrusive.

Banned
Ariexv said:
What? Banjo 1 was pretty damn close in quality to Super Mario 64(SM64-94 avg, Banjo-92 avg) and Banjo 3 is made by the same team. It might not be as amazing as galaxy is but It'll be alot closer then any other platformer.
once again, not enough lols.

Galaxy was made by a new team, full of great, interesting ideas that really propelled the genre forward. Their last game before Galaxy is seen as one of the best games to use a untraditional control input ever. The fact that the same Rare team that has never reached their prior peak is being compared to one of the best young development houses today is just....there aren't enough lols

Innotech

Banned
Vaxadrin said:
Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
it sort of does, but in NMH's case it works out pretty well. the finishinmg move is done with motion sensing and it just feels right.
The bigger issue is that people generally arent skilled swordfighters. If you enacted a true 1:1 attacking scenario in a game it would be as clunky and useless as most peoples swordfighting skills would be IRL. Just a bunch of clumsy slashing all over the place and not really getting anything done. That is the big disconnect that prevents 1:1 sword fighting from working like people imagine it to.

However, Id like to see a developer risk using a 1:1 method just to see how fun it could be. It wouldnt be a very deep game though.

beef3483

Ariexv said:
There's still some problems.... the HoTD 2&3 Calibration doesn't work on my 58" plasma, it picks up the button right corner but when I go to point at the top left it says that I'm pointing off the screen.

Then I would look into getting a good third party sensor bar. You're problem probably is that the wiimote isn't reading the sensor bar(how far away do you play from the TV?) The technology itself allows for near 1:1 aiming.

Esperado

I'll definitely look into renting House of the Dead to try it out.

beef3483 said:
Then I would look into getting a good third party sensor bar. You're problem probably is that the wiimote isn't reading the sensor bar. The technology itself allows for near 1:1 aiming.

Sensor bar isn't the problem here. There is a camera that picks up the sensor bar, when he points to the upper corner of his plasma, the sensor is out of range of the camera in the Wiimote.

FightyF

Banned
Probationsmack said:
ARGH watch a corruption video for buddha's sake ARGGH
You described it exactly!

I just watched this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0iT1MFvr0c

And you are wrong.

I described a control scheme where you didn't rely on the wiimote to look around. You use the right analog stick on the wand (if there was one, as Wollan suggested) to look around. The wand would only be used for aiming and aiming only.

Anyone mentioning CoD or MP:C...you guys are off on what makes an ideal control setup for FPSes. Not saying that either game was unplayable, but I don't see that as the ideal solution for motion controls and FPSes, if one were to design a new motion controller.

Ariexv

beef3483 said:
Then I would look into getting a good third party sensor bar. You're problem probably is that the wiimote isn't reading the sensor bar. The technology itself allows for near 1:1 aiming.
Is there any quality 3rd person sensor bars? Or would the idea of adding 2 IR lights to either side of the TV possibly work better?

I moved from as close as 3 ft from the TV to the other side of the room(where the sensor bar didn't even pick up the wii-mote)

Innotech

Banned
beef3483 said:
He might also need to sit farther back. the closer you are, the less accurate the aiming is and too close, it ends up broken. especially on large TVs.

Well, I haven't exactly embraced waggle yet, but I think it should be optional if Microsoft actually decides to go through with this. I can see "forced" waggle being a nuisance, but if it is optional, I don't think it could really be too detrimental. The only problem is, developers would have to come up with two entire different control schemes for their games in the future. Motion controls can work and even contribute certain elements to a game, but I also think they can ruin a game obviously if they are not implemented correctly. For example, waggle could work in something like Condemned 3, but ruin Virtua Fighter 6 if they were the only control option. Personally, I think waggle and traditional gaming can coexist, but I don't think waggle should ever take the place of standard control pads since hundreds of millions of gamers(PS3. PS2, XBox, X360, Gamecube, etc.) out there are not complaining about them.

Esperado

Ariexv said:
Is there any quality 3rd person sensor bars? Or would the idea of adding 2 IR lights to either side of the TV possibly work better?

I think the 2 IR lights has a potential of working better if the Wiimote can pick them up.

Only fault of motion control so far is the reliance on the sensor bar, but I can't think of any alternatives.

truendo

...Can't Nintendo like file a lawsuit or something? (I'm not sure as I don't really focus my studies in court and lawsuits and stuff)

beef3483

Esperado said:
Sensor bar isn't the problem here. There is a camera that picks up the sensor bar, when he points to the upper corner of his plasma, the sensor is out of range of the camera in the Wiimote.

Then he probably should place the sensor bar someplace besides the top or bottom of the screen. I don't think HOTD 2&3 requires that it be in either of those positions after calibration. I could be wrong though.

Ariexv said:

I moved from as close as 3 ft from the TV to the other side of the room(where the sensor bar didn't even pick up the wii-mote)

I would think 2 IR lights on each side would be the best, though I've never tried it. Just remember to unplug your sensor bar.

Ariexv

Esperado said:
I think the 2 IR lights has a potential of working better if the Wiimote can pick them up.
How would it work though? When the Wii adjusts the Sensor bar depending on if it's on top or on bottom of the TV.

Jirotrom

truendo said:
...Can't Nintendo like file a lawsuit or something? (I'm not sure as I don't really focus my studies in court and lawsuits and stuff)
why would they... its not like it hurts them.

Innotech

Banned
Ariexv said:

hard to say. Depends how large your TV is. I havent tried using the candle method on anything larger than a 30 inch Tv, so I cant say how it will respond on a close to 60 inch. It wouldnt hurt anything to experiment though. get some LEds and place one either side of the Tv see if the wiimote picks it up. It should pick up any concentrated light source (which is why christmas lights confuse it)

Im not sure how it would be calibrated in this instance (above or below) but I used below.

Innotech said:
trust me when I say it doesnt. and you will die extremely quickly if you try to lockon too much in MP3. Locking on is effectively used to strafe circles around a central enemy, while actual aiming is completely free. Also you have to be fairly accurate, because hit targets become increasingly smaller and enemies get progressively faster/more deadly. Its not even in the same league as MP1 or 2.

I agree that it is better, but there are still flaws with the wiimote in first person perspective that third can fix.

Probationsmack said:
The lockon was a nice concession, not an indicator of a handicap. Ill bite the hook. Why is first person perspective flawed in regards to wii?

Basically, because in first person the view infront of you is flat, but third person is round since you as the player see the front and sides of the player. The biggest flaw of first person on the wii is turning. Well, first person will work well on the Wii (that is a lot of w) if all games were based on corridors where the games could be pseudo light gun in a way where the things that matter most are accuracy which the wiimote does really well. It is kind of hard to explain in words and im too lazy to draw a picture, but I do think third person will solve almost all problems I have with shooters on the wii.

FightyF said:
I just watched this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0iT1MFvr0c

And you are wrong.

I described a control scheme where you didn't rely on the wiimote to look around. You use the right analog stick on the wand (if there was one, as Wollan suggested) to look around. The wand would only be used for aiming and aiming only.

Anyone mentioning CoD or MP:C...you guys are off on what makes an ideal control setup for FPSes. Not saying that either game was unplayable, but I don't see that as the ideal solution for motion controls and FPSes, if one were to design a new motion controller.

In corruption hold down z and the viewpoint locks. Aiming now isnt tied to movement. The method you suggest is like trying to chew gum, walk, pat your head, and rub your paunch all at once.

beef3483

Linkzg said:
Basically, because in first person the view infront of you is flat, but third person is round since you as the player see the front and sides of the player. The biggest flaw of first person on the wii is turning. Well, first person will work well on the Wii (that is a lot of w) if all games were based on corridors where the games could be pseudo light gun in a way where the things that matter most are accuracy which the wiimote does really well. It is kind of hard to explain in words and im too lazy to draw a picture, but I do think third person will solve almost all problems I have with shooters on the wii.

Have you played MOH: Heroes 2? You adjust your own turn speed and it works real well, even better than Prime 3.

Innotech

Banned
Linkzg said:
I agree that it is better, but there are still flaws with the wiimote in first person perspective that third can fix.

Try RE4Wii. Best way to see for yourself how that would work.

Since theres no waggle in any original system equipment, they stand about zero chance of making an impact with the peripheral if anybody ever had the bright idea.

I'm still waiting for something that comes anywhere close to being as graceful as the wii at implementing shake and bake on the PS3.

beef3483 said:
Have you played MOH: Heroes 2? You adjust your own turn speed and it works real well.

I did and I think while it did some good things for aiming, one of the big problems with free aim is that if you have a field where the screen moves as you move the pointer left or right and the more you move it left or right it slows down, the problem is that when you try to recenter it, it will keep moving since to get to the middle you pass the movement area.

I think another thing they could do is basically have the entire screen auto surround where your pointer is. So basically if an enemy is to the left, you move the pointer there and shoot, then the screen eventually readjusts itself so where you were pointing is now the center.

Innotech said:
Try RE4Wii. Best way to see for yourself how that would work.

I did and what I think is that RE4 isnt really a shooter where turning is essential, it was always a gameplay mechanic to plant your feet and shoot.

Linkzg said:

Eh, any time spent turning in an fps is a period of disorientation for me, Dual analog certainly isnt immune from it.

Ariexv

Linkzg said:
I did and I think while it did some good things for aiming, one of the big problems with free aim is that if you have a field where the screen moves as you move the pointer left or right and the more you move it left or right it slows down, the problem is that when you try to recenter it, it will keep moving since to get to the middle you pass the movement area.

I think another thing they could do is basically have the entire screen auto surround where your pointer is. So basically if an enemy is to the left, you move the pointer there and shoot, then the screen eventually readjusts itself so where you were pointing is now the center.

I did and what I think is that RE4 isnt really a shooter where turning is essential, it was always a gameplay mechanic to plant your feet and shoot.
Couldn't they just have the turning bound to the Nunchuck analog?

FightyF

Banned
Probationsmack said:
In corruption hold down z and the viewpoint locks. Aiming now isnt tied to movement. The method you suggest is like trying to chew gum, walk, pat your head, and rub your paunch all at once.

No, it's not that hard.

Soon it would become intuitive.

But it's nice to see how you now see where I'm coming from...it would be way better.

FightyF said:
No, it's not that hard.

Soon it would become intuitive.

But it's nice to see how you now see where I'm coming from...it would be way better.

Now Im just thinking of a Predator game where someone controls the shoulder turret with another wiimote.

beef3483

Linkzg said:

If I understand what you're saying, how exactly is that any different than aiming with a mouse?

kiUNiT

I read the first page of this thread and it seemed like a late april fools joke, then I just read the last page and now i'm confused. I don't have time to read the whole thread before I crash, Is this xmote shit for real?

C4Lukins

I am worried that they are going to use Banjo as the way to introduce this. With something like Halo Wars though, if they can improve on the Wiimote design and include it with each copy then it could be interesting and a smart way to get it out there. Despite the fact that the current RTSs are completely functional on a 360 controller, it is still an overly complex pain in the ass for me personally to adapt to that method.

Top Bottom