• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's answer to the Wiimote

Banned
Ariexv said:
Can't you play SMG with the classic controller? how does that work?
What?

You know, i remember last year when 360 fans would go on and on and on about all the stuff the 360 could do to improve gaming that the wii couldn't even with the controller, all due to the extra horsepower it has.

Now when people start thinking about making 360 games with a motion controller, the only damn thing they can think of is how to rip off every idea Super Mario Galaxy had input-wise, even if admittedly the 360 game would be at certain disadvantages. This is fucking hillarious:lol

I can't wait for Banjo-Kajooie

KevinCow

Banned
Wasn't there a rumor a while back that Rare was working on a game called The Fast and the Furriest, which would basically be a Mario & Sonic clone starring Banjo and Conker, and that they were making a motion controller with it?

Also, Wiimote FPS control shits all over dual analog.

Arde5643

EDarkness said:
Sure. My roommate started out that way, but soon he wised up and realized that free aiming was the way to go. After that he never went back. I started off with advanced controls with free aiming and wouldn't play it any other way.

The reason it's there (in my opinion) is to help those who just aren't good at free aiming. There are many people out there, and I figure this is why people say it isn't "precise". I would disagree with that. Just like not everyone can play soccer, or basketball, there are people out there who aren't good with the remote.
I don't think most segments of the hardly-cores will be able to accept if if you just confronted them that they cannot handle the wiimote.

:enemyglider: said:
av-passionofthepope.jpg

Holy shit if thats t xmote then ergonomics definitely werent a priority.

How about we let Microsoft release a platformer 1/10 as amazing as Mario Galaxy before we argue whether it could have been done on the 360 or not?

Esperado

beef3483 said:
The system knows where the TV is in relation to the sensor bar (at least for the good shooters). And for lightgun like precision, they can offer calibration.

It ain't that simple.

Innotech

Banned
voodoojohn said:
How about we let Microsoft release a platformer 1/10 as amazing as Mario Galaxy before we argue whether it could have been done on the 360 or not?
Im not sure if Shiggy could really make a Halo but Im damned sure MS cant make a MArio Galaxy.

Arde5643

voodoojohn said:
Well, gee thanks, looks like you just killed that inane argument about Mario Galaxy in 360.

Looks like now we'll have to go to another inane arguments about porting Wii stuffs into 360 or start trying to not ignore the logical posts in this thread.

Thanks, man.

beef3483

StranGER said:
i've never really been interested in the 3rd prime till now, that was killer...

The best game on Wii IMO, with some of the most amazing art direction I have ever seen in a videogame. Very highly recommended.

Arde5643

StranGER said:
i've never really been interested in the 3rd prime till now, that was killer...
If you haven't played it, then you're missing the most fun Prime in the trilogy.

It's not the best Prime (Prime 1 is still the best), but damn if it's not the most fun to play.

Sinatar said:
No Microsoft, NO!

The 360 is the last bastion of waggle free gaming on the console side of things. I don't want that gimmicky lame ass shit on the 360.

Do. Not. Want.

Absolutely. I need to be free of the tyranny of waggle.

voodoojohn said:

Who the fuck is arguing that? I said that it wasn't the wiimote controls that made galaxy great, implying that copying the wiimote won't equal the quality of that game.... Yea that sounds just like "galaxy could have been done on 360"..

justchris

To be perfectly honest, I think this is a bit premature on Microsoft's part. They really should wait until next-gen. Unless they can release something that is clearly superior to the Wiimote, they're unlikely to be able to pull mindshare away from Nintendo.

On the other hand, if this does turn out to be successful, it may drive Nintendo to finally do a pricedrop, which they won't do as long as they're still selling out constantly.

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Yea you're missing the point, but continue on.
Oh no, i got the point. you guys wanna keep on trucking with that 4 buttoned abomination, contradicting about a thousand wii/360 threads than go right ahead.

Innotech

Banned
Metroid Prime 3 also nailed some aspects of waggle. The grapple beam is so fun to use. Lockon and then jerk the nunchuk towards the screen and then pull away. Even simulates resistance so you have to pull a bit before the object gives. Its pretty fun.

I can't wait for "OMG superior controls, I'll never touch a dual analog again" comments to be shared across another console.

Microsoft would seem rather desperate if this was true, worse still they've missed the mark big time if that design is true (I wish just for the lolz).

But something similar is imminent, as everyone follows Nintendo's lead no matter how much anyone is willing to admit.

Though I'd love to play halo 3 or call of duty 4 with pointer controls (though not with this proposed setup. Backwards Wii setup seems problematic, Even though the sensor bar would actually be sensing.)

Byakuya769 said:
Who the fuck is arguing that? I said that it wasn't the wiimote controls that made galaxy great, implying that copying the wiimote won't equal the quality of that game.... Yea that sounds just like "galaxy could have been done on 360"..
Mario Galaxy would have been cumbersome on a traditional controller. It is quite possible that this controller was made partly in mind of a Rare response to Galaxy. I, personally, think it's unlikely, but I do believe that Mario Galaxy was tailor-made for the Wii and would not have been as enjoyable on any other console.

professor_t said:
Absolutely. I need to be free of the tyranny of waggle.

Quit gaming. We both win! Art and landscaping can be fulfilling activities! And you never have to worry about some fancy new clipper or paint dispensor shaking things up!

Innotech

Banned
krypt0nian said:
I can't wait for "OMG superior controls, I'll never touch a dual analog again" comments to be shared across another console.
dual analog has its place, but I never thought FPS was improved with it and I sure as hell dont now. Its still good for character motion and free aim camera. The wiimote can make a character move (Sonic ATSR) but its flawed and clunky. Driving games designed for the wiimote seem to work well with it, and games in general designed for the controller are extremely fun to play and I wouldnt touch those particular games if they were dual analog. But analog has its place and sorry, but Wii controls also definitely have their place.

Innotech said:
Mario Galaxy boo race.
No way in hell that could be done quickly with analog.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrb5di6vM28

Metroid Prime 3 (I LOVE this area)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9gubzUcbp9E

Both those were designed around the Wiimote, I wonder why they would work better than analog. Same situation with Nights 2 where it is fucking garbage using the wiimote because it was designed with an analog stick in mind. However, if those games werent designed around the wiimote and a standard controller, obviously things would be different.

beef3483 said:
And if this is true, I wonder how many of those die-hard 360 fans end up changing thier tune about IR aiming in shooters.

I'm not a die-hard fan, by any means, but I love the 360's library and I'll be sick to my stomach, forever and always, if I have no choice but to do waggle gaming in the future.

If this is true, perhaps Sony is our only hope . . .

Linkzg said:
Both those were designed around the Wiimote, I wonder why they would work better than analog. Same situation with Nights 2 where it is fucking garbage using the wiimote because it was designed with an analog stick in mind. However, if those games werent designed around the wiimote and a standard controller, obviously things would be different.

Im sensing a fallacy here

Innotech

Banned
Linkzg said:
Have to say I agree there. For some reason the pointer in that game works far worse than any other pointer based controls on a wii game. Its one case that analog definitely should be left alone.

Probationsmack said:
Quit gaming. We both win! Art and landscaping can be fulfilling activities! And you never have to worry about some fancy new clipper or paint dispensor shaking things up!

I can see how small minds might be reassured by the lack of choice, but those of us who have the mental capacity and the sense of self-efficacy to explore multiple possibilites would love to have more than one option.

Just sayin'.

professor_t said:
If this is true, perhaps Sony is our only hope . . .

From the latest Game Informer rumours:

Sony developing a Wiimote like device internally being called the Waggle. Likely to be packed in with a game. Full functionality not known at this time, but it will contain motion sensing. Sony's Waggle will not require a sensor bar or be based on IR.

Innotech

Banned
Probationsmack said:
Im sensing a fallacy here
you mean that if a game has been designed to work with motion controls it might actually be... really good? No way in hell that can be true. waggle is EVIL. EVIL I SAY.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Innotech said:
you mean that if a game has been designed to work with motion controls it might actually be... really good? No way in hell that can be true. waggle is EVIL. EVIL I SAY.

Did you even read what he said? He's been defending the Wiimote >_>

Innotech

Banned
professor_t said:
I can see how small minds might be reassured by the lack of choice, but those of us who have the mental capacity and the sense of self-efficacy to explore multiple possibilites would love to have more than one option.

Just sayin'.
I love choice. the Wii gives you choices in many cases. Some games work with 4 different control methods. Metal Slug anthology gives you a choice of SEVEN. I didnt even know there were that many possible configurations of controls but they did.

Ariexv

voodoojohn said:
As much as I love what I've played so far of Mario Galaxy, Microsoft does have Banjo Kazooie 3 this year, and if it's anything like Banjo 1 or 2 I think it can compete with Galaxy. I know The original banjo easily competed w/ Super Mario 64 for me atleast.

Um, could someone help me out here? How the hell are you going to press buttons and use the analog stick at the same time? Hold it sideways? Grab both hands on the remote? I mean, with the wiimote, there is only one finger available to press buttons on the top of the wiimote, thus necessitating the use of the nunchuck for analog. This looks like it would just be painful to use.

Esperado

beef3483 said:
Then explain it to me. HOTD 2&3s calibration is spot on.

Well, first you would have to have a television screen that fits within the bounds of the Wiimote and the sensor bar area. So for instance, if you are pointing at the top of the television screen, the Wiimote has to have a good view of the sensor bar. This has to work for the top of the television screen, the bottom, the left side, the right side, and each of the four corners. While pointing at any of those places, the Wiimote has to be able to pick up the sensor bar to be able to triangulate its position. If any of those positions don't work, or if any positions within those bounds don't work then the Wii remote will lose sync with the sensor bar and you won't be able to aim at things in those areas.

If this is successful, you will have to map out the TV screens area digitally by recording each of the four corners of the TV screen. This would require you to get all four corners with respect to your position, the tilt of the TV screen left or right, the tilt of the TV screen up and down in relation to the Wiimote, and how far each corner is from the Wii remote on the "Z" axis, etc. Now the Wii would have to triangulate where the Wii remote is with respect to the sensor bar, where that position is with respect to the four corners of the TV screen, how much tilt there is on the TV screen, how far up or down the Wii remote is from the TV screen, the distance the Wii remote is from the TV screen, and the angle that the Wii remote is pointing. I'm pretty sure I left something out, but if that doesn't make the argument, then I don't know what will. I'm not going to even attempt the math.

edit: Just to make sure we're on the same page. I'm talking about lightgun accuracy. As in there won't be a pointer on the screen because you will point the Wii remote to your TV and it will work.

edit #2: You would also have to calculate the bounds of the target that you are pointing at with respect to the calculated TV screen area. This would also have to account for all the things like tilt, distance, etc.

professor_t said:

Just sayin'.

I just want all the cool games on wii
:[ Im selfish like that

Innotech

Banned
Ariexv said:
As much as I love what I've played so far of Mario Galaxy, Microsoft does have Banjo Kazooie 3 this year, and if it's anything like Banjo 1 or 2 I think it can compete with Galaxy. I know The original banjo easily competed w/ Super Mario 64 for me atleast.
well that would require 2 things. Its notb entirely impossible, but consider:

1. Rare isnt old Rare. a lot of talent left and the remaining team isnt as talented

2. Mario Galaxy took platforming and quite literally turned it on its side. It went beyond the typical platformer, so Rare is going to have to come up with something truly special to compete. I think they can, but Im also a lunatic Rare fanboy. Its the main reason I want a 360 to begin with.

HK-47 said:
Did you even read what he said? He's been defending the Wiimote >_>

but why would he be defending? I wasnt attacking.

I think the wiimote is cool for a lot of different game types, but I dont know if developers are really making good use of the advantages of it yet. Like, any first person game on the wii that allows you to look around is flawed, that includes Metroid Prime 3 and whatever other FPS on the system. Metroid Prime 3 worked, but it still needed a lock-on button. The perspective is automatically flawed and negates the benefits of superior accuracy that comes with the wiimote. Yet you still see first person shooters on the wii and not third person which would be far superior in every single way.

Esperado said:
Well, first you would have to have a television screen that fits within the bounds of the Wiimote and the sensor bar area. So for instance, if you are pointing at the top of the television screen, the Wiimote has to have a good view of the sensor bar. This has to work for the top of the television screen, the bottom, the left side, the right side, and each of the four corners. While pointing at any of those places, the Wiimote has to be able to pick up the sensor bar to be able to triangulate its position. If any of those positions don't work, or if any positions within those bounds don't work then the Wii remote will lose sync with the sensor bar and you won't be able to aim at things in those areas.

If this is successful, you will have to map out the TV screens area digitally by recording each of the four corners of the TV screen. This would require you to get all four corners with respect to your position, the tilt of the TV screen left or right, the tilt of the TV screen up and down in relation to the Wiimote, and how far each corner is from the Wii remote on the "Z" axis, etc. Now the Wii would have to triangulate where the Wii remote is with respect to the sensor bar, where that position is with respect to the four corners of the TV screen, how much tilt there is on the TV screen, how far up or down the Wii remote is from the TV screen, the distance the Wii remote is from the TV screen, and the angle that the Wii remote is pointing. I'm pretty sure I left something out, but if that doesn't make the argument, then I don't know what will. I'm not going to even attempt the math.

edit: Just to make sure we're on the same page. I'm talking about lightgun accuracy. As in there won't be a pointer on the screen because you will point the Wii remote to your TV and it will work.

The calibration works assuming you play from the position you calibrated at.
SIIIIIIIIIMPLE

Banned
Ariexv said:
There aren't enough lols

Innotech

Banned
Esperado said:

I actually used two candles before when someone was using my sensor bar (Two Wiis at a Smash party one had a broken bar) and if you place the candles near the sides of the TV, approximately near the center of each side, you have effectively a sensor bar laid across your TV screen and it is extremely accurate. I dont recommend using candles though for fire hazard, but any light source will work. Ideally a small LED placed on each end of the TV should also do the same thing. Tape one of each on each side. I havent tried this method yet.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I wouldn't worry, your average 360 owner will be in Gamestoop looking for the next Cod or Halo type game, see a Micromote/Banjo pack, and make in internal split-second decision to never play it, ever. We won't have forced waggle in Ninja Gaiden 3. It would be a trainwreck.

Linkzg said:
but why would he be defending? I wasnt attacking.

I think the wiimote is cool for a lot of different game types, but I dont know if developers are really making good use of the advantages of it yet. Like, any first person game on the wii that allows you to look around is flawed, that includes Metroid Prime 3 and whatever other FPS on the system. Metroid Prime 3 worked, but it still needed a lock-on button. The perspective is automatically flawed and negates the benefits of superior accuracy that comes with the wiimote. Yet you still see first person shooters on the wii and not third person which would be far superior in every single way.

The lockon was a nice concession, not an indicator of a handicap. Ill bite the hook. Why is first person perspective flawed in regards to wii?

beef3483

Esperado said:

If this is successful, you will have to map out the TV screens area digitally by recording each of the four corners of the TV screen. This would require you to get all four corners with respect to your position, the tilt of the TV screen left or right, and the tilt of the TV screen up and down in relation to the Wiimote. How far each corner is from the Wii remote on the "Z" axis, etc. Now the Wii would have to triangulate where the Wii remote is with respect to the sensor bar, where that position is with respect to the four corners of the TV screen, how much tilt there is on the TV screen, how far up or down the Wii remote is from the TV screen, the distance the Wii remote is from the TV screen, and the angle that the Wii remote is pointing. I'm pretty sure I left something out, but if that doesn't make the argument, then I don't know what will. I'm not going to even attempt the math.

Have you played HOTD 2 & 3? It does this. Except that you don't have to map out all four corners, because of the standards in dimensions, you only need to map out two opposing corners.

Top Bottom