• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's answer to the Wiimote

dkeane

MisterHero said:
I can't wait for everyone who bashed waggle to praise MS in this endeavor.

I don't know if people were fooled with Sixaxis.
Just go to the 1Up Show thread with all the people wanting to try Six Axis in wipeout HD. It's as if it's the first racer to ever have motion controls.

Atomspike

bridegur said:
If this is true, does that mean we'll be seeing 360 ports of Wii ports of PS2 ports of stuff that was garbage to begin with? I can't wait.
you got it wrong

PSP games > PS2 port> WII port with waggle> 360 port with waggle

Shinblade said:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

So... Knocking off buzz shamelessly didn't work... now this?

I used to think MS had direction and strategy for the Xbox 360... but it's been a shambles... and it's looking more and more desperate.

Price cutting in europe that doesn't boost sales above the competition, effectively dead in Japan... Stealing ideas...

What next? A 3d community where you build your own home?

It won't surprise me if their copying of the Mii system has a little touch of "Home" to it actually.

jet1911

Hey Microsoft,

2371534817_9b15b4f175_o.gif

Or

2377616342_272aa74847_o.gif

Ariexv

Epiphyte said:
No, it isn't

We still haven't seen a game that matches it for giving the player the feeling that their movements are being directly emulated on screen. Dismissing it as a tech demo because it lacks depth ignores everything which has made the Wii massively successful.
Isn't there a couple other games that beat Wii sports at their respective game? I didn't Dismiss it as a Tech demo either..... just that realistically it shouldn't be to hard to clone and even improve. People need to really stop freaking out over this if it's true and just look at it for what it is.... just an extra accessory like the Scene it buzzers that will get support from more then one game and possibly be bundled.

Tron 2.0

MisterHero said:
The MS Paint thing should make it obvious but clearly the current conversation has blown that possibility. Oh GAF.

Is this real or not?
The MS Paint mockup that MTV should have been embarrassed to post? Fake (Seriously, on a side note, no one could have taken the Paint "mock-up" and created something a little less asstastic? No one?)

But it's no secret that Microsoft has been looking at motion capabilities. They've been hinting at it for a long time.

However, it'd be idiotic for them to introduce it now.

MisterHero

Ariexv said:
Isn't there a couple other games that beat Wii sports at their respective game? I didn't Dismiss it as a Tech demo either..... just that realistically it shouldn't be to hard to clone and even improve. People need to really stop freaking out over this if it's true and just look at it for what it is.... just an extra accessory like the Scene it buzzers that will get support from more then one game and possibly be bundled.
No. Unless you count $3-5000 arcade cabinets and only focus on one experience rather than 5.

I think that ideally, you would want a Mote-60 in each hand.

This way you could have two motion sensors, two analog nubs, eight face buttons and two analog triggers.

If a game doesn't need all of that, then you just use one Mote-60.

besada

Banned
Firewire said:
You walk across two logs & you could use it throw grenades! In no way was motion control a big part of Uncharted, plus you did have the option to turn it off!

I didn't know you could turn it off:) I agree, it wasn't a big part, it was just a couple of shoehorned in bits. I hated the log walks.

besada

Banned
mabuza said:
how is it possible that a company that was making all the right moves last year has now turned into this bumbling incompetent buffoons? wtf, seriously wtf?

Sony dropped the haunted Tiki idol at E3 and Microsoft picked it up?

FightyF

Banned
I think a new motion controller versatile enough for FPS games would be a genius idea.

But I have a feeling that any motion controller worked on by MS would be a "me too" product that would be lacking in all aspects.

Dunlop

If true, this has to be for the next generation of XBOX. It's way too late in the game now to think anyone is going to invest in $60+ controllers that will work on a few games.

Ariexv

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Sony developing a Wiimote like device internally being called the Waggle. Likely to be packed in with a game. Full functionality not known at this time, but it will contain motion sensing. Sony's Waggle will not require a sensor bar or be based on IR.
Inc all the Sony Fanboys who made fun of MS for this idea suddenly changing to it being brilliant.

v1cious

Banned
why does everybody believes this is fake? it's not like this is some blog that posted it, it's a fairly reliable source. also we've been hearing rumors about it for awhile now.

i predict this will debut at e3... then the fun will begin:lol

Ariexv

Atomspike said:
14lra01.gif

love the jiggle

i wonder how the 360 waggle ads gonna be .
They shoulda obviously had the girls playing the Shake the Can minigame from Mario Party 8 instead of w/e they're playing there.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
PepsimanVsJoe said:
If Microsoft is actually working on this it won't hit until the next generation of consoles.
Yeah, this would make more sense than forcing a Wiimote 360 down our throats. It'll be the Vision Cam all over again...

scoobs

this has desperation written all over it. I guess this is the conclusion they came to when deciding how to stop the Wii.... copying it.

Dunlop

Mooreberg said:
It'll be interesting hearing someone try to defend this in interviews if it is real.

There is an article in Game Informer about Sony doing the same thing. They are all corporate whores that will try and latch onto what is successful...what's to explain?

The only stupidity would be to release it this generation, perfect it (I have a Wii, the motion detection is not the second coming as some would have you believe) and have it ready for the XBOX720/PS4

Mooreberg said:
It'll be interesting hearing someone try to defend this in interviews if it is real.
What's there to defend? Unless somehow if this is also intended to completely replace the main controller rather than just be a supplement, then I think that's an issue.

Dunlop said:
There is an article in Game Informer about Sony doing the same thing. They are all corporate whores that will try and latch onto what is successful...what's to explain?

The only stupidity would be to release it this generation, perfect it (I have a Wii, the motion detection is not the second coming as some would have you believe) and have it ready for the XBOX720/PS4

The motion detection is excellent, thats part of the problem. There's finite natural movement involved in a resting stance or transitioning your arm from one intended reference point to another... so its the gesture recognition (software) that could do with being improved if anything. For the most part though, its excellent in a lot of Wii software. Usually the first party stuff.

One way they could improve the controllers is by triangulating / calculating real positional data in ways beyond the capabilities of the current Wii Remote and sensor bar. And I'm not talking about what EyeToy threatens to do. One day there will be a way for a console to 'see' the controller through the player, and any other obstruction.

Mooreberg

GitarooMan said:
What's there to defend? Unless somehow if this is also intended to completely replace the main controller rather than just be a supplement, then I think that's an issue.

Depends on what the plans are suppose. If it's just going to be for certain games and bundled products it would be fine, but they've already got a controller that works for the games on the system and they have gone out of their way to not allow mouse and keyboard for FPS to keep the playing field level for online games.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Can we get Stephen Totilo in here to vouch for this story? Since he's with MTV news and all.

Not to call Patrick Klepek into doubt, but I'm a lot more familiar with Stephen and I know he posts here on GAF

Top Bottom