• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts Rep System is broken!

_SAKY_

I don't think there is a positive feedback option on Xbox One. Your rep goes up playing with others as long as you're not reported.

Well isnt that just a ray of sunshine. Lets implement a system that only records your wrong doings. Seems unforgiving.

EDIT: Didn't the 360 have nagative AND positive player feedback options? I seem to recall friends boosting their feedback in the early days.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Me too, but I haven't played a multiplayer game frequently since Halo Reach. Wonder if they drop off over time, because I'm sure I got some mud on me back in the Gears 2 days...
I think it resets every 6 months.

Akai__

Welche anderen Nutzern über Sie sagen Zum letzten sechs Monaten

LMAO what the fuck is wrong with that translation? Did they straight up use Google Translator?

But yeah... Apareantly I have 5 for unsporting behaviour and 1 for cheating. Not sure how cheating works in the MCC (or on the Xbox One for that matter), but seems like people get mad when I teabag them in an online game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well isnt that just a ray of sunshine. Lets implement a system that only records your wrong doings. Seems unforgiving.

You supposedely get automatic good REP for every game that has no incident.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I was worried that this could be why I can't find games in Killer Instinct but nope, my rep is clean.

So just no one on earth is playing Killer Instinct? PC version can't some soon enough.

JeffG

Holy shit!!! Some people smh...

Sorry OP. thankfully the X360's system isn't that bad. That reminds me I need to make use of the remaining time with gold.

Yes...He is a victim. He had no responsibility in what happened to him.

lol

smh indeed

etta

my hard graphic balls
Jumper probably told everyone he was playing Gears with that Halo 5 looked like a 360 game, so they reported him out of spite.
/s

Fat4all

Banned
Yes...He is a victim. He had no responsibility in what happened to him.

lol

smh indeed

I'm sure your out of school by now, use your words.

Jumper probably told everyone he was playing Gears that Halo 5 looked like a 360 game, so they reported him out of spite.
/s

430a94c2_Denzel-Boom.gif

I used to get a lot of negative votes and downgraded reputation ranking after destroying others in Burnout Revenge back in the early 360 days. Sad to hear the same kind of thing can still happen with their system after all these years.

They should just junk it and let the community moderators do their jobs.

adj_noun

EDIT: Didn't the 360 have nagative AND positive player feedback options? I seem to recall friends boosting their feedback in the early days.

It did/does. Barely anyone seems to use the latter though.

The only time I ever really remember getting rep of any stripe was when I was playing Street Fighter 2 on 360. Got a lot of "Unsportsmanlike" bad rep for that one.

E92 M3

Yep, I am surprised MS even has it. Rep systems have been abused since the beginning of time.

Yes, T-rex always reported pterodactyls for cheating.

geordiemp

I used to get junked for COD on 360, had a terrible rating from all the buthurt kids.

Crap system, needs abolishing.

You should only be allowed to avoid people if they were abusive. Full stop.

To me it was one of the big negatives for the xb1, along with Kinect, and why I moved to the blue side.

Akai__

Yep, I am surprised MS even has it. Rep systems have been abused since the beginning of time.

I remember people abusing it for a free GT change. Have friends report you for inappropriate GT = Free GT change. Wonder if that still works or if it has been fixed by now.

smurfx

get some go again
i remember my rep getting nuked when i started playing marvel vs capcom 3 just based on my style of play(zoner). people online really don't like zoners. good thing ultimate stopped salty people being able to give you bad rep.

I've always had a bad rep but it never stopped me from playing games back on the 360

Did they change it on Xbox one or is it just tripping out for you op?

Fat4all

Banned
I've always had a bad rep but it never stopped me from playing games back on the 360

It changed, they started a system on the Xbox One called Smart Match.

With Smart Match, rep can heavily effect who you connect with in multiplayer games.

Smart Match on Xbox One is completely reengineered for a new generation of gaming – using advanced algorithms to pair players based on skill, language, and now reputation.

Akai__

Here are the tiers:

Good Player
A normal user that plays online with some regularity and receives very little negative feedback from other players.

Needs Work
A user whose reputation score has fallen due to many accurate reports of bad behavior. Ability to communicate with non-followers is at risk of being taken away and the player’s matchmaking begins to suffer.

Needs Work
A user whose reputation score has continued to fall due to many accurate reports of bad behavior. Ability to communicate with non-followers has been revoked.

Avoid Me
A user that routinely receives a very large quantity of negative feedback and is causing trouble in the community. Certain privileges will be revoked and the user will only be matched with other low reputation players.

ryan299

So the website tells me I got reported once for communication which dropped my rep two levels. I don't play with a mic and when I talk its in party chat, and one report shouldn't drop my rep that much. Broken system

I remember being shocked after hitting max level online in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood that I came away with something like three bad reputation hits. I think two unsportsmanlike conduct and one bad sport or some nonsense. Don't recall what the categories were. It was pretty silly since I did play well but I played very fairly and by the rules of how that game played without cheesing anything. I also didn't speak often on mic but usually it was to talk to teammates and even help people with how to get better scoring kills and occasionally I'd compliment an opponent on a good kill. Most matches were super friendly.

I don't mind reputation systems but I feel they should be a little more in-depth if they're going to affect things. With smarter systems maybe only allow it by recording gameplay and submitting a short clip with the complaint? With it only taking a few seconds for someone to negatively impact a good player there's no real risk or time investment for the person causing the harm.

Hopefully that new reputation system is smart enough to instead have it reflect back on someone that erroneously reports bad behavior often so they instead end up going down in reputation.

They did, but I never fully understood how it worked on the 360. I thought only people who were not your friends could bring up your rep. I used to rarely play online games and my rep didn't hit full 5 stars until a year later. I had plenty of friends too. I could be wrong.

Akai__

Yeah... that system won't be easily exploited by clans or anything like that...

Good grief, MS. That kind of thing is just asking for abuse.

I mean, you could literally block people in Halo MCC in Ranked playlists so you never encountered them again. They just recently changed it, so the block list gets ignored for the Ranked playlists, but it still works for the Social playlists.

Good grief indeed. Just imagine a community trolling and nuking Major Nelsons or Phil Spencers account.

So the website tells me I got reported once for communication which dropped my rep two levels. I don't play with a mic and when I talk its in party chat, and one report shouldn't drop my rep that much. Broken system

the way it's supposed to work, one report shouldn't drop you that much. It didn't for me:

wq4b.png

xq4b.png

shoreu

I mean, you could literally block people in Halo MCC in Ranked playlists so you never encountered them again. They just recently changed it, so the block list gets ignored for the Ranked playlists, but it still works for the Social playlists.

Good grief indeed. Just imagine a community trolling and nuking Major Nelsons or Phil Spencers account.

Would that be a good way to get it fixed?

GVA1987

Even worse there's no way to properly report people for scam/spam links, I've been getting 1 every couple weeks.

You can via the console itself. Select the message and you can report via the message.

That sucks OP. Honestly I forgot rep even exists since the XB1 came out. Used to use it occasionally back in the Halo 3 days.

Geneijin

Yeah the system's broken.
The way it works is if you have "Avoid me" status, you will only be match made against other users who are "Avoid me" too.

Halo Master Chief Collection has made a change to the system that the game will ignore this if you're playing ranked matches. So you can't avoid good players in ranked matches by trolling their rep. You can still mute anyone.

At least Microsoft is aware of the problem, I guess.

Maybe Gears' ranked mode has a similar exception and you'll be able to find matches there?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-8-21-15
It's been that long already eh? I remember hearing this 2 months ago (good video btw)

Just checked mine and I have 1 report for unsporting. What is that really even supposed to mean in an online game?

Can't be because I'm really good. I'm terrible at gears and only decent/good with Halo. Not near good enough to be thought of as cheating.

why dont you show us your full rep page and the monthly progression of the past 6 months?

jumper is btw banned on multiple german forums, just saying...

Top Bottom