• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Open World RPG, XB/PS/PC) Game Informer Details

IvorB

Well, I thin.k it's an excellent combat system (especially with all the improvements introduced in AC).
It's reasonably challenging, fun, quick and responsive; abusing the "overpowered defense" is actually the slowest and least effective way to fight, the "forced variety" in enemies' patterns (and in the way to exploit their weakness) is a great thing for a brawler and I have no idea what should make perceive it as a flaw, it has what's probably one of the most seamless, impressive systems of contextual animations I've experienced in any game and all this while keeping a (vague) resemblance to a real world brawl, instead of relying in bullshit hyper-kinetic super moves and weapons, with flames, explosions and trails.

That said, I really can't see a system like this fitting a game about a lone ranger in a dangerous land.
It may sound an overdone* request at this point, but if they were actually looking for inspiration in other games, then the Souls series was probably going to be a better pick.

*which, on a side note, is completely fine, as no matter how overdone the request may be, there isn't a single game developer yet who seems willing to catch the hint.

I really don't think the Batman combat would be suitable for a LOTR game. They should try some kind of Demon's Souls/Dragon's Dogma hybrid.

Bor

Neo Member
I really don't think the Batman combat would be suitable for a LOTR game. They should try some kind of Demon's Souls/Dragon's Dogma hybrid.
wat? the heroes in lotr go against hordes of enemies and a combat system like batman would work great for that.

You're right, a counter heavy system like the Arkham games would actually work fine with sword-fighting, injecting parry and riposte. I'm totally open to seeing what they do with the game.

"Rhythm game" is another way of saying "sequence of QTEs", while "rhythm" being spoken here itself is not unique to games that have obvious solutions (in other words: increased simplicity in interactivity). The term rhythm is being awkwardly applied to the meeting of tactics and reflexes, except it is so much more obvious in a game like Arkham because the game has, in a sense, "linear" combat at its fundamental level ("tools" are an overlapping system awkwardly placed on top of it). So to explain it plainly you can hear Arkham's "rhythm" because it is a dumb kid tapping on his school desk in predictable manner, while other action games are large-scale symphonies that is constantly changing its tune, keeping you on your feet. I curse whatever game journo that came up with that nonsense.

I think the problem is that maybe 1% of the people who write about games share the developed clarity of opinion you have on game systems. Most of us say, "yeah, that makes sense, that's pretty much how it feels," and I think that's how so much vocabulary that fails on a technical level to describe what it wants to falls into common use in this hobby, from "gameplay" to "ludonarrative dissonance." Wish I could say this isn't something I'm frequently guilty of.

velociraptor

The PS2 LOTR games were the best. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic but I have a feeling it won't be particularly good.

wat? the heroes in lotr go against hordes of enemies and a combat system like batman would work great for that.
Batman's combat system is terrible.

I want God of War's combat in this game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The PS2 LOTR games were the best. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic but I have a feeling it won't be particularly good.

Batman's combat system is terrible.

I want God of War's combat in this game.

Seriously?

Ambient80

42268-You-had-my-curiosity-but-now-y-MK6z.gif

skybald

Beyond stoked for this game. The last LOTR RPG I played was that turn based one on the original Xbox and I really enjoyed what I played of that.

I don't like what I have seen of the settings so far in this game, they remind me a little too much of the Dragon Age 2 demo but I am optimistic of how the game will turn out.

Otheradam

The AI sounds exactly like what Bethesda said about Skyrim's radiant AI where NPCs go about there lives, except taking it to another level. I think in a open world game like this the NPCs pretty much have to have a 24/7 cycle but this seems to be pushing it further with them interacting with each other and getting promoted and stuff.

skybald

The AI sounds exactly like what Bethesda said about Skyrim's radiant AI where NPCs go about there lives, except taking it to another level. I think in a open world game like this the NPCs pretty much have to have a 24/7 cycle but this seems to be pushing it further with them interacting with each other and getting promoted and stuff.

I didn't notice the Radiant AI in Skyrim once

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I didn't notice the Radiant AI in Skyrim once

Just made characters move around and be in various places at different times of the day, hardly revolutionary but I appreciate their efforts.

skybald

Just made characters move around and be in various places at different times of the day, hardly revolutionary but I appreciate their efforts.

As far as I know they had that since Oblivion. They actually had to scale it back because starving NPCs would kill other NPCs with food so that they could eat.

Top Bottom