• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Wow, for a game that was so highly regarded in 2014, it's weird that its sequel is on a whopping 10 pages for the OT that day after it's come out.

Raptor

I thought I was the only one who completed the game with the dark ranger skin just because the base talion looks completely retarded.

I completed the first using the black hand and Lithariel.

Can you do that in this game? Play with a different skin?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I fucking love this game

Accidentally went into a mission that turned out to be against a war chief and he had three body guards captains. Managed to kill the warchief and chased down one captain, died to him twice, then was about to die on the third attempt to a random grunt in that survival mode, and some orc captain out of nowhere came and beat the orc to death and said ' I've seen you fight many times, keep getting back up' and ran off after he saved me and now is my ally even though I didn't dominate him.

Does this game stop re-using video assets from the first game? I'm a few hours in but they've done it 3 times already.

-The "previously, on" intro
-The re-telling of "press X to kiss your wife"
-Re-showing the CGI fight between Sauron and Celebrimbor from the first game

ChanMan

Is this more challenging then the first one? I enjoyed the first game a lot but I kind of handicapped myself for it to not be too easy like not upgrading health.

TheBowen

Is this more challenging then the first one? I enjoyed the first game a lot but I kind of handicapped myself for it to not be too easy like not upgrading health.

It's more difficult, epsically certain captains. Requires changing your attack style a lot more and there's more types of enemy's.

Plus you get the instant kill counter a lot more. You can always up the difficult. Also the only overpowered skill is the perfect counter execution which you could not use, but I use it because it's still a challenging game.

But I'm only onto the second chapter so it could get more easier or challenging

mazillion

I fucking love this game

Accidentally went into a mission that turned out to be against a war chief and he had three body guards captains. Managed to kill the warchief and chased down one captain, died to him twice, then was about to die on the third attempt to a random grunt in that survival mode, and some orc captain out of nowhere came and beat the orc to death and said ' I've seen you fight many times, keep getting back up' and ran off after he saved me and now is my ally even though I didn't dominate him.

Okay now that's amazing

Feeroper

So how does this game run on the PS4 Pro? I'm tempted to get it for PS4 Pro, but at the same time I have an X1X coming and currently have a base X1, so I was thinking of getting for X1 for the eventual X upgrade given that they have been touting that the X version will look best - however I know it is also part of a marketing deal.

Windam

Scaley member
Man, this game can be brutal on Nemesis difficulty. Trying to take out one Orc Captain can turn into fighting two or three Cars and their cronies. Random Gondorian Sergeants have saved my ass more than once.

J_Viper

Voice acting is good but it’s Troy Baker so you would expect that.

I actually think Troy is fucking terrible here haha

I mean, it's not a hundred percent his fault. The writers give him nothing to work with since Talion is completely devoid of personality, but he isn't even trying to sell it

TheBowen

Okay now that's amazing

The nemesis system is creating so many great like mini stories

Literally just Went to one of those intel boards in a camp to get info on a olong-hai captain. Bout 3 minutes later he tackles/ambushes me in the middle of a fight out of knowhere and says ' so you want to know more about me hey? I'd love to know more about you'.

God 2017 is so good.

Edit : Another captain was about to execute a captain. Went in and saved and recruited the captain, and summoned another captain to help me. The captain I summoned betrayed me, killed him. Then the captain I saved betrayed me in the same fight. GG

Ravelle

Man, this game can be brutal on Nemesis difficulty. Trying to take out one Orc Captain can turn into fighting two or three Cars and their cronies. Random Gondorian Sergeants have saved my ass more than once.

Wanted a challenge but bumped it back to Normal because I was getting butchered by captains and Garagor riders. You don't have enough abilities or health or parry and quickly execute an entire army at the start.

Loving it so far, I ran into an orc with two faces and he was pretty scolard.

Pheace

Is it possible to redeploy followers to another region? I can't seem to find an option for it.

Edit: apparently you can get reassignment orders from the ingame currency chests that allow you to put a follower in the garrison

Artdayne

So I've put in 15 hours so far, which is a lot for how long the game has been out, and for the most part I really loved it but for the last few hours I'm feeling burned out. I don't know, the interesting items that I was discovering have slowed down for the last several hours, the combat was really cool and I suppose it still is but I'm running out of interesting things to unlock as I level and it's starting to feel very monotonous. The main story feels very forgettable so far and quite frankly the open world feels in many ways like Dragon Age Inquisition. Sure, the gameplay is more fun and traversal is a lot better but the quests you're doing are very tedious. I'm probably going to take a break for awhile and then come back a bit later when it's feeling a bit more fresh, we'll see. For reference I just started what I believe is act 3.

DrBo42

So I've put in 15 hours so far, which is a lot for how long the game has been out, and for the most part I really loved it but for the last few hours I'm feeling burned out. I don't know, the interesting items that I was discovering have slowed down for the last several hours, the combat was really cool and I suppose it still is but I'm running out of interesting things to unlock as I level and it's starting to feel very monotonous. The main story feels very forgettable so far and quite frankly the open world feels in many ways like Dragon Age Inquisition. Sure, the gameplay is more fun and traversal is a lot better but the quests you're doing are very tedious. I'm probably going to take a break for awhile and then come back a bit later when it's feeling a bit more fresh, we'll see. For reference I just started what I believe is act 3.

Interesting things do slow by the end of act 2, for sure. At that point it became a session type of game where as before I was binging large amounts of it. Game did need someone to focus it and manage the length and pacing.

mazillion

When does the game save? Not seeing an auto save indicator but maybe being blind.

I've been wondering this too. When I quit out it warns me that unsaved progress will be lost but I can't figure out how to save anywhere, seems like a pointless warning?

It also warns me that I will lose unsaved progress when I quit from the main menu to the desktop.... go figure.

Getting your ass beat and then having a follower appear out of nowhere to save you really is a great feeling. It almost never happens on Nemesis but when it does, man, I just want to give them a hug.

Tovarisc

When does the game save? Not seeing an auto save indicator but maybe being blind.

I've been wondering this too. When I quit out it warns me that unsaved progress will be lost but I can't figure out how to save anywhere, seems like a pointless warning?

It also warns me that I will lose unsaved progress when I quit from the main menu to the desktop.... go figure.

afaik game saves when you fast travel to one of those towers.

Tizoc

So far I finished getting collectibles in the first area and then went onto the next main mission that has
Gollum
Gonna go through the game like last time: Get all collectables then go and complete main objectives.

Coolluck

Does this game stop re-using video assets from the first game? I'm a few hours in but they've done it 3 times already.

-The "previously, on" intro
-The re-telling of "press X to kiss your wife"
-Re-showing the CGI fight between Sauron and Celebrimbor from the first game

Isn't that just intro stuff to catch new players up? Is it the same video as before or just the same material?

I'm only about 4 hours in and I haven't noticed it again.

Everyone seems like it so far?

It's very good but it also feels very much the same.

I'm not very far in however so maybe as things open up the mechanics do as well.

Also, having to go back and re-earn many of Talion's combat abilities is a slog. I understand why they did that but it still annoys...

carlsojo

Can these orcs urunhai whatever theyre called please just stfu so i can maul them to death?

MANSWINE!
LISTEN AS I REGALE YOU WITH MY BACKGROUND STORY!

There should be a skill upgrade where you can interrupt them with a punch to the face.

The nemesis system is creating so many great like mini stories

Literally just Went to one of those intel boards in a camp to get info on a olong-hai captain. Bout 3 minutes later he tackles/ambushes me in the middle of a fight out of knowhere and says ' so you want to know more about me hey? I'd love to know more about you'.

God 2017 is so good.

Edit : Another captain was about to execute a captain. Went in and saved and recruited the captain, and summoned another captain to help me. The captain I summoned betrayed me, killed him. Then the captain I saved betrayed me in the same fight. GG

I had something similar happen to me. I had used a worm to find out info on a captain. Well on my way to him I spotted a legendary captain and detoured. I'm stalking around, picking off enemies. I get up on this roof and get ready to make my strike. I'm holding down RT ready to press x and strike when out of freaking nowhere that captain I got info on ambushes me from behind and we have this amazing duel up onto of a building. It was better than 90% of boss fights I've had in videogame and I've been gaming for almost 30 years!

How do we access gold edition content? I got my sword in my inventory but can't find the chest or war party.

Once the Market part of the menu opens up you'll have two unopened chests with that content. I think you have to be online too.

I'm wondering if I should open them now or later. Only like an hour in and I don't think I have the dominate ability yet.

unrealist

Is it possible to make ur recruited orcs follow you around the map or on missions?

Do they die (permanently) in combat / sieges?

LilZippa

Is it possible to make ur recruited orcs follow you around the map or on missions?

Do they die (permanently) in combat / sieges?

They can fall like companion AI in most game and you can revive them during a seige, but I haven't had one die in the regular world. The pitts are a quick way to lose some guys, but you are near enough that you can take the guy who won.

mazillion

I had something similar happen to me. I had used a worm to find out info on a captain. Well on my way to him I spotted a legendary captain and detoured. I'm stalking around, picking off enemies. I get up on this roof and get ready to make my strike. I'm holding down RT ready to press x and strike when out of freaking nowhere that captain I got info on ambushes me from behind and we have this amazing duel up onto of a building. It was better than 90% of boss fights I've had in videogame and I've been gaming for almost 30 years!

I had a similar expirience. I was creeping along the top of a really high wall that was about 4-5ft wide when I got ambushed. We fought it out for a good while and the captain was a slippery fellow too. He would evade my attacks by dodging and spinning around to my back side and I would get behind him by vaulting over him. It became this intense duel of us jumping all around on a narrow platform.

It's just too bad there's no risk of accidentally falling off and captains can't be thrown off edges either :/

Top Bottom