• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

The story so far (still in act 1) seems fucking confusing and eh? My wife is a lotr fan and she was like. This makes no fucking sense. Is it set before the hobbit?

Althane

Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War aren't part of main continuity and canon, afaik.

While true, I do remember reading somewhere that Shadow of Mordor is after the Hobbit, but before the Lord of the Rings trilogy kicks off.

No idea if they stuck with it with Shadow of War though.

jayvo

So, is there any reason why the Windows Store version doesn't include the Hi-res textures and 4K cinematics? I want it for PC and I just so happen to have $60 credit with Microsoft, but if this version is gimped, I'm better off just buying it from Steam and saving my Microsoft credit.

Justified

The story so far (still in act 1) seems fucking confusing and eh? My wife is a lotr fan and she was like. This makes no fucking sense. Is it set before the hobbit?

Canon/Lore die-hards will not like the game's story either way. But the games are set in their own continuity

I like high fantasy and dont really care about adaptions that break away from canon/lore, and I find the story serviceable as someone who can enjoy a b-tier Saturday morning SyFy fantasy movie

So, is there any reason why the Windows Store version doesn't include the Hi-res textures and 4K cinematics? I want it for PC and I just so happen to have $60 credit with Microsoft, but if this version is gimped, I'm better off just buying it from Steam and saving my Microsoft credit.

Because the Windows Store is complete shit?

Pheace

All the loot box stuff really killed this forum's enthusiasm for the game. First real day of release and a it has already dropped off the first page. Reading the impressions so far it doesn't sound like they put in much effort to fix the flaws of the original.

They seem to have focused on the game's strengths rather than it's flaws

tuna_love

Banned
it has hi res texture pack
its under add-ons for the game on the store

I don't really understand why you have to play that stupid search mini-game everytime you unlock a new tower. It feels like a huge waste of time. What's wrong with having the icons pop up on the map like the last game?

Level 7 now, and I'm starting to get the hang of the game. However, I couldn't maximize the orcs' weaknesses most of the time. Like, finding a mount only to kill a target sounds like too much busywork, and I haven't unlocked poison and fire skills.

Couple hours in, the game just kind of seems overwhelmingly huge. And not necessarily in a good way. I’m a sucker for games with lists of things to do and percentage meters to fill but this just seems like a LOT.

Playing on Xbox. It looks kind of yuck. I don’t mean performance wise. It runs fine. The game just looks like it’s missing lighting or something. Everything seems kind of flat. A lot of brown and grey.

Voice acting is good but it’s Troy Baker so you would expect that.

Tens of hours of climbing and jumping in this game is gonna make it hard to do the same in assassins creed in a few weeks. Talk about fatigue...

Gyoru

Do I lose opportunity to do sidequests in the area I'm in if I push the story to act 2 (where I read it opens up)

Nothing is missable even if you beat the game. I'd even advise people to not linger on side quests and try to push to Act 2 because that's when the skills Dominate and Dominate Captain unlock.

My nemesis from Shadow of Mordor showed up and was looking haggard and beat to hell, I guess I really did a number on him in the first game, the Orc personalities and little quips are so good, really funny and unique stuff so far. I'm enjoying this game just as much as the first one if not more, there is so much to do and it all plays really well. It doesn't take long to start feeling like a real badass and just tearing through the Orc ranks.

The pre-rendered cutscenes are especially weird in this considering there is loot and your outfit changes constantly. To see it suddenly switch back to the default outfit constantly is so jarring.

The pre-rendered cutscenes are especially weird in this considering there is loot and your outfit changes constantly. To see it suddenly switch back to the default outfit constantly is so jarring.

I'll be honest, I hadn't even noticed it until reading the previous comment that mentioned it. Knowing it now, seems a bit odd, but I've paid so little attention to what Talion has been wearing that I legit couldn't tell you whats different between the gameplay sections and cutscenes without looking at stills of both back to back.

I'll be honest, I hadn't even noticed it until reading the previous comment that mentioned it. Knowing it now, seems a bit odd, but I've paid so little attention to what Talion has been wearing that I legit couldn't tell you whats different between the gameplay sections and cutscenes without looking at stills of both back to back.

This is also pretty accurate lol. I’m not paying much attention to what he’s wearing either.

Also Talion is such an annoying idiot. The consistency with which he doesn’t follow the advice of the very knowledgale and experienced elven spirit talking to him constantly is so aggravating.

KingV

Prerendered cut scenes are super annoying to me now, when even fairly low budget games do it pretty competently in engine for most cutscenes.

Possibly stupid question:

Is the expansion pass content, with the expansions, basically their season pass? Meaning these are DLC packs yet to be released? Or are they already included in the base game?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Nemesis difficulty already kicked my ass in the first two hours. Combat is so shit in the beginning without any good upgrades :/

Feeroper

I had decided to write this game off due to loot boxes but the you tube videos and hands on gameplay I've seen don't seem as bad as it sounded any more. I am getting tempted to pick this up I wont lie. Some of the stories in this thread are really cool sounding with some orcs coming back and adapting to your moves.

I have a PS4 Pro, and am getting an XOX - if I were to get it I am tempted to go for the XOX due to the talk about it being the superior version when its out, but on the other hand I have Shadow of Mordor on PS4....

How does it perform and look on the base XO? If I do decide to get it, and get it on XO I wont wait for the X to launch, so is there a major downside to the base XO compared to the PS4 Pro version? And is the save transfer of the nemesis from SoM a really big thing or barely noticeable?

hbkdx12

Nemesis difficulty already kicked my ass in the first two hours. Combat is so shit in the beginning without any good upgrades :/
Yeah it's super rough. Crowd control is a huge issue in the early going as you're constantly ganged up on and your execution mechanic doesn't work like it used to so thinning the herd can be very troublesome. That being said, I think I'm level 19 now and I've gotten some good upgrades that make dealing with crowds a bit better.

I don't really understand why you have to play that stupid search mini-game everytime you unlock a new tower. It feels like a huge waste of time. What's wrong with having the icons pop up on the map like the last game?

Seeing as this is published by WB, they probably lifted that exact concept from Mad Max.

343976260.jpg

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yeah it's super rough. Crowd control is a huge issue in the early going as you're constantly ganged up on and your execution mechanic doesn't work like it used to so thinning the herd can be very troublesome. That being said, I think I'm level 19 now and I've gotten some good upgrades that make dealing with crowds a bit better.
I stopped my session yesterday after unlocking it. Can I use the down-state-execution (RT + X on Xbox) during combat after a successful blue counter?

xRaizen

Glad I Redboxed this game - not feeling it at all. Not that far in, just gone to the snowy area and did a couple missions there. Story is boring, and it just doesn't feel like they made any big jumps with the sequel.

Guess I'll pick this up when it's heavily discounted by this time next year on Steam.

Coolluck

Got about 4 hours in tonight. I'm glad that the game isn't forcing met to do a bunch of side content in order to progress yet. I was worried at the beginning when they were showing some of it. I'm avoiding outposts until I unlock Dominate again. Nemesis difficulty has resulted in a few mission deaths but luckily only one orc has managed to kill me. I imagine this will happen less once I get some more moves. Facing off foes who learn my 3 moves make encounters feel like I'm cheesing the game in order to progress. Still digging it. Not paying much attention to the story right now. I like the idea of Gondor having set up bases in Mordor though.

carlsojo

Died a few times tonight!

Took out my first "vengeance" target. He got devoured by flies.
Motherfucker shows up an hour later legendary, INFESTED, and covered with in fly hives!
I ran the fuck away!

Some other guy was giving me a lot of trouble, died to him, tried to take revenge and got my ass handed to me. Just as he was about to finish me
this Gondorrian Sargent with balls of steel shows up and EXECUTES HIM. "On your feet soldier!"

The online component seems fun enough. Essentially the same as the fortress invasion missions in game. Playing in "friendly" mode lets you test out your own fort's defenses which I always love in games that have online modes like this (MGSV, Let It Die, etc.). You can really abuse the branding mechanics though to just fly through it without much effort.

Gotta say, as bland as the story is (still not as bad as Shadow of Mordor, but pretty close) the voice acting absolutely fantastic. The characters are even a bit more... charactery in this one, which I wasn't expecting. Plus Bruz is just amazing. God I wish the story was better though...

Jaraghan

Squeezed in a few hours. Still in the starting city, but having a good time with it. Playing on Nemesis, and I have to actually run away from encounters now. I remember I killed one captain, grabbed his loot and the was interrupted when another captain called out to me. When he was finished, ANOTHER captain showed up. I noped the fuck out of there real quick.

The online nemesis vendetta missions seem to be the same from the 1st game right? I don't have any friends playing this game, so if anyone from GAF wants to add me to see vendetta missions when I die (which happens more than I would like to admit), I play on Xbox. GT: Jaraghan

Fliesen

Nothing is missable even if you beat the game. I'd even advise people to not linger on side quests and try to push to Act 2 because that's when the skills Dominate and Dominate Captain unlock.

Most important 3 words for me, when it comes to any (ubisoft-style)-open-world-ish game.

Khoryos

My nemesis from Shadow of Mordor showed up and was looking haggard and beat to hell, I guess I really did a number on him in the first game, the Orc personalities and little quips are so good, really funny and unique stuff so far. I'm enjoying this game just as much as the first one if not more, there is so much to do and it all plays really well. It doesn't take long to start feeling like a real badass and just tearing through the Orc ranks.

My old nemesis showed up only for me to immediately one-shot him since he came back with a mortal weakness to poison and I had poisoned throwing knives. I almost felt bad for him!

Almost.

Top Bottom