• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

God Almighty the Windows Store is trasssshhhh.

D6Cr7k8.jpg

jSgfgNA.jpg

Unable to download Shadow of War, CupHead and Netflix stuck on a loop of updating. Please assist lol.

Zurick

Banned
Oh I forgot that was a thing.

Jackass.

Yea it's why I picked up Middle Earth and Cuphead as well. Some of us will travel great lengths in order to not spend $200 per game. Even if that great length is using the Windows Store.

Edit: Fun story about Shadow of War and the Windows Store. It pre-loaded for me a week ago, 64gb. Once it unlocked, it had to RE-DOWNLOAD the 64GB fro the small few MB decryption thing. Outstanding work.

Wedzi

Banned
Yea it's why I picked up Middle Earth and Cuphead as well. Some of us will travel great lengths in order to not spend $200 per game. Even if that great length is using the Windows Store.

You could finish Cuphead on your Xbox before the Windows Store finishes downloading.

Will start it up tomorrow. Should I go ahead and just go for the higher difficulty? Hated how I had to intentionally die in the first one to trigger the nemesis system.

Will start it up tomorrow. Should I go ahead and just go for the higher difficulty? Hated how I had to intentionally die in the first one to trigger the nemesis system.

There are more ways to trigger it than dying. And in this game so far I've had 3 orcs come back from death to jump me while I was battling another captain. I'm still pretty early

J_Viper

By God these main missions are so dull. I'm praying the game opens up and lets me dominate soon.

It's insane how Monolith have improved zero percent in terms of mission design. There's seriously another mission where you have to slowly follow Gollum around a gray environment.

Ernest

Banned
Okay, cool. I'm glad the consensus here is that it's an improvement over the last game. I brought up reviews because it was too early to get impressions from y'all here.

Rellik

God Almighty the Windows Store is trasssshhhh.

D6Cr7k8.jpg

jSgfgNA.jpg

Unable to download Shadow of War, CupHead and Netflix stuck on a loop of updating. Please assist lol.

Okay: Stop supporting that trash store with your wallet. It will never change with people like you who keep doing so.

So this elven rage mechanic. How on earth do I control it? Spamming X seems to just make Celebrimbor start to shoot a ton of arrows. Infinite executions I get - what’s the breakdown here? The first challenge mission with it seems arbitrary how many orcs I kill. Better to use executions? Am I using the arrows correctly?

What does everyone think of it so far?

It's good. I could barely put it down after I started playing it yesterday. I don't think it'll be one of my favourite things I played this year, or stay with me in a meaningful way, but I'm enjoying it.

EDIT: And in spite of the story being still pretty vapid so far, I feel like the characters in it have offered very slightly more to latch onto than Mordor did.

Ishmoz the Machine, a royal pain in my ass. Chop off his head? Comes back with metal wiring as a helmet. Lob off an arm and a leg? Steel replacements. Light him on fire? Burn mark on the chest.

This guy is a...er... machine.

DrBo42

Ishmoz the Machine, a royal pain in my ass. Chop off his head? Comes back with metal wiring as a helmet. Lob off an arm and a leg? Steel replacements. Light him on fire? Burn mark on the chest.

This guy is a...er... machine.
The machine is cool. Has anyone had an orc follow them from 1 region to another? I feel like that's the only thing I haven't seen.

Ugh, UPS shipment got delayed for some reason. Sucks!

So does the game import a save from the first one? What happens when you have the Game of the Year version and the original one (I think the saves were different)?

Jobbs

Banned
The combat looks even worse to me than the last game, though I may be misremembering. Your feet are made of hoverboards. You just slide around the battlefield getting sucked towards whatever you're attacking. It's so bad that, for me, it's immersion shattering.

I recognize a lot of people probably don't care about this though

Ugh, UPS shipment got delayed for some reason. Sucks!

So does the game import a save from the first one? What happens when you have the Game of the Year version and the original one (I think the saves were different)?

No save importing. Everyone gets a fresh start. disregard that idk what I'm talking about

The combat looks even worse to me than the last game, though I may be misremembering. Your feet are made of hoverboards. You just slide around the battlefield getting sucked towards whatever you're attacking. It's so bad that, for me, it's immersion shattering.

Some of us like hoverboards.
Who would've thought that double jump and fast climbing will make such a HUGE difference

Oh my god I could never go back. Not that I wanted to, but it's so much less hassle to traverse.

benzopil

It was the same in Shadow of Mordor. Source: I played it 10 days ago.

It was the same in Shadow of Mordor. Source: I played it 10 days ago.

It's actually quite a bit smoother. I was playing Shadows of Mordor right up to the war launch (literally up to the minute) trying to get the perfect orc to bring over with me. I was in a xbox liveparty when I started the game and within moments I was talking about how much smoother things felt. It's not something that noticeable in videos. but when you get your hands on it..and you can feel how responsible and fluid everything is, it's noticeable.

benzopil

It's actually quite a bit smoother. I was playing Shadows of Mordor right up to the war launch (literally up to the minute) trying to get the perfect orc to bring over with me. I was in a xbox liveparty when I started the game and within moments I was talking about how much smoother things felt. It's not something that noticeable in videos. but when you get your hands on it..and you can feel how responsible and fluid everything is, it's noticeable.

Yeah it's more smooth, but you still skate without interrupting your combo. Which is fine by me (especially considering bonus damage and other stuff you can get with high combos) but still it's not great for some people.

Yeah it's more smooth, but you still skate without interrupting your combo. Which is fine by me (especially considering bonus damage and other stuff you can get with high combos) but still it's not great for some people.

agreed. If you enjoyed combat in the first one you are going to enjoy this one as much if not more. But if you aren't a fan of the batman/AC combat this isn't going to change your mind (probably)

Man, could buying this game be more confusing? 3 different versions, a $100 gamble if you want all the expansions.

Is the gold $40 more worth?

Has the combat been improved since the first?

mazillion

Oh they give you the option to hide those giant button prompts for counter attacks. That ought to keep the combat interesting for me.

Just getting into Act 1 right now and I'm already loving it. Definitely seems to stick close to the SoM formula, and it does feel the same to play (right now), but I can't really say that's a bad thing. Slaughtering orcs is as fun, and funny, as ever.

Pheace

Do I lose opportunity to do sidequests in the area I'm in if I push the story to act 2 (where I read it opens up)

Holy shit Nemesis difficulty is haaaaaaard. Single combat versus a single Captain is... usually... straightforward (FUCK adaptations tho), but toss any group of Grunts in larger than 6 and I start flailing around.

Eggiem

Holy shit Nemesis difficulty is haaaaaaard. Single combat versus a single Captain is... usually... straightforward (FUCK adaptations tho), but toss any group of Grunts in larger than 6 and I start flailing around.

I agree. Had to lower the difficulty, because it as way too hard for me. (And I enjoyed Soulsborne and Cuphead)

Oh yeah, and you have to use the captains weaknesses, if the fight goes on for too long you get ganged up by other captains. Shit one chased me for a solid 5 minutes.

J_Viper

This game has a rough start, but once you get to the Arena, it really picks up. Even the story has improved a bit.

Hell, I was even impressed by that fight with
the Wraiths
. There were some neat animations there.

I'm hoping I can start building my army soon though.

leng jai

All the loot box stuff really killed this forum's enthusiasm for the game. First real day of release and it has already dropped off the first page. Reading the impressions so far it doesn't sound like they put in much effort to fix the flaws of the original.

Top Bottom