• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

I'm wondering if I regret starting on the highest difficulty. Guess I'll have to git good.

Unrelated to that, the minigame where you have to get the poems into focus is just terrible.

Andodalf

Banned
I'm wondering if I regret starting on the highest difficulty. Guess I'll have to git good.

Unrelated to that, the minigame where you have to get the poems into focus is just terrible.

I literally just screw around with the sticks till it works. Very frustrating and pointless mini game. Hope it doesn’t get harder. It’s like the decrypter in Batman with almost no visual feedback. The footsteps are even worse.

DrBo42

You can change your difficulty at any time but I recommend you stick with Nemesis.

SomTervo

I used to be unbeatable on Shadow of Mordor. I'm dying alot on this. Last fucking Uruk adapted to 2 of my moves which made him almost impossible to kill, and to add salt into the wound the son of a bitch decided to humiliate me by walking away and laughing at me rather than finish me off.

Omg this is gold haha

Can't wait to get stuck in - 20 mins left download time >_>

Monis

Neo Member
I've got a legendary orc in my game called The Machine. He's a cyborg orc. I've killed him so many times but his buddies keep rebuilding him and he keeps coming after me. Whenever he finds me out in the world he'll usually start the encounter by screaming "you made me like this!" for a bit. Pretty great.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Bruh the nemesis system is so much better and funnier with its dialogue

I've had the same orc come back 4 times now. Now he has a burned and scarred face, burnt body and weird arm ganuntlets and now has no leg or arm and has a metal one instead

It's fucking great and every time he gets even more pissed at me.

Monis

Neo Member

I've had the same orc come back 4 times now. Now he has a burned and scarred face, burnt body and weird arm ganuntlets and now has no leg or arm and has a metal one instead

I'm still really early in the game, haven't gotten domination yet. But at this point, I feel like I should just recruit The Machine and make him my personal kill bot.

Maximus P

Omg this is gold haha

Can't wait to get stuck in - 20 mins left download time >_>

Yeah, the encounters are all gold now.I was waiting to press the counter button but when he started laughing and saying something about me not being worth his energy I was like 'wtf?, get back here you bastard! '

The dialog is superb. Can't wait till I start getting an army together.

I've got a legendary orc in my game called The Machine. He's a cyborg orc. I've killed him so many times but his buddies keep rebuilding him and he keeps coming after me. Whenever he finds me out in the world he'll usually start the encounter by screaming "you made me like this!" for a bit. Pretty great.

Lmao. This is so good

HDR performance feels a bit....underwhelming? There is no HDR brightness scale like in Hitman or Battlefield 1, so the highlights are pretty dramatically unbalanced and blown out even if reducing regular brightness, and the colors don't really pop like they do in other HDR games I've played.

Things feel a bit washed out and rather boring looking. Maybe in later areas this will improve?

JPS Kai

My Nemesis is also the machine. A couple of nights ago, I was screwing around and he showed up. I was unprepared and nearly died. Just before the saving check, another orc came out of nowhere and finished him off for me then told me 'the debt has been paid'

I don't even recognize the orc that showed up.

Kard8p3

Just got confirmed that PS4 button prompts are coming for PC

uFJw45t.png

newsguy

PS4 pro players, how is the 4k implementation on this one? Is it razor sharp or can you tell it’s not native 4k? I’ve been playing some of the native 4k games on my projector and I miss the sharpness of the native image.

FiraB

Banned
Oh man one assassin orc keeps ambushing me when I try to kill other captains, screws me over each god damn time. When I finally get to kill him he smoke bombs away and laughs at me! Fucker is going down. He even kicked me off a building into a pile of orcs…
Yeah this is one of the things I like is they gave them more ways to run away to create those nemesis conflicts.

I kicked a guy off a cliff earlier and he came back talking about how something like that wouldnt kill him.

Brizzo24

Download size: 63GB (console or standard PC download), 97GB (PC download size with high-resolution assets)

Are you downloading this size (63GB) from the games servers? Or are you installing from the disc? I ask because I live rural, and only get 50 gigs each month--this would totally cripple me. Lol.

I wanted to ignore this game due to the first one being merely ok. But boredom won out and I purchased it, really fun. Honestly don't care about loot boxes, the only issue is that the game isn't really a looker on Xbox right now. Hopefully X brings the heat.

Been a while since I played the first one. I've spent 3 hours now in the first area killing captain after captain and doing some side missions. Do captains just keep being generated again and again? I don't want to spend 12 hours killing them in the first area if they keep coming back lol

Skux

Are you downloading this size (63GB) from the games servers? Or are you installing from the disc? I ask because I live rural, and only get 50 gigs each month--this would totally cripple me. Lol.

That's 63gb total installation size. So if you have the disc you'll only need to download patches while the rest is copied from disc.

Brizzo24

That's 63gb total installation size. So if you have the disc you'll only need to download patches while the rest is copied from disc.

Thank you! I can't afford to buy it, though I am eager to rent from Redbox or something. I liked the first one.

Ernest

Banned
I was looking forward to this as being an improvement on the last game, but now I'm disappointed by the middling reviews. What gives?

I was looking forward to this as being an improvement on the last game, but now I'm disappointed by the middling reviews. What gives?

Its more of the last game with alot more improvements made to the Nemesis system as well as an aspect of progress.

And the reviews have been fine for the most part.

Damn this game look A LOT like the first game, I know it's a sequel but still everything looks so similar, even the combat animation feels like it's the same as the first game.

I have to check the stream title twice to make sure I'm not watching a Shadow of Mordor stream.

Jaraghan

LOL this is fantastic. Work is dragging today

BashNasty

I wouldn't call an 85 meta middling, I'll admit that it's not astoundingly outstanding, but it's a solid score.

Damn this game look A LOT like the first game, I know it's a sequel but still everything looks so similar, even the combat animation feels like it's the same as the first game.

I have to check the stream title twice to make sure I'm not watching a Shadow of Mordor stream.

Combat is basically identical to the first game, just with more moves and powers. Everything else though has been greatly expanded upon and there are a mountain of new systems.

Only had one orc comeback so far and he had burns all over him. Dush had just killed me and taken the name The Tark Slayer before I decided To burn him to a crisp. Next time I saw him he had taken the name The flames vanquisher or something like that XD.

Wanted him as a nemesis a bit longer so instead of executing him I decided to finish him with a arrow to the head thinking he might end up coming back as the unvainquishable burned up pirate. But alas he never did.😯

Do we know what kind of death has more chance of them making a reapperance?

Well, I meant it's getting roughly the same/lower scores than the last game, when I expected it to be a marked improvement.

Seriously, you trust those tasteless casual game reviewers? It's not like it was all reviewed by the same person that reviewed the last game anyway.

Dark Souls 2 got 91 on metacritic while Dark Souls 1 only got 89, and yet DS2 is considered a huge disappointment and insult to 98% of Souls fans.

Stop using idiot's opinion to determine a game's value. Review score is a joke and you shouldn't take them seriously, an 85 game on metacritic isn't any better than a 82 game, period. The PS3 version of Sleeping Dogs gets an 83 on Metacritic while the Definitive Edition on PS4 only gets 77. Does that mean PS3 version provides a superior experience and everyone who owns a PS4 should just play the PS3 version instead?

''but..but..but....83 is like 6 POINTS higher than 77....''

With all due respect, please use your brain before reading review scores.

Are the controls noticeably less responsive than the first game for everyone else? The PS4 version just feels like there’s a slight delay and lack of fluidity whereas the first game controlled like a dream.

Fluloco

Well, I meant it's getting roughly the same/lower scores than the last game, when I expected it to be a marked improvement.

Also, the first one came in the worst year of videogames in this generation, while this one just launched in one of the best years ever in all history.

Seriously, you trust those tasteless casual game reviewers?

It's not like it was all reviewed by the same person that reviewed the last game anyway.

Dark Souls 2 got 91 on metacritic while Dark Souls 1 only got 89, and yet DS2 is considered a huge disappointment compare to DS1 to 98% of Souls fans.

Stop using idiot's opinion to determine a game's value.

So, whose opinion should people that are unsure about a game listen? Yours? Mine? Maybe a gaffer that was riding the hype and ended up dissapointed? Or another gaffer that didn't care and loved the game?

Orion514

Seriously, you trust those tasteless casual game reviewers?

It's not like it was all reviewed by the same person that reviewed the last game anyway.

Dark Souls 2 got 91 on metacritic while Dark Souls 1 only got 89, and yet DS2 is considered a huge disappointment compare to DS1 to 98% of Souls fans.

Stop using idiot's opinion to determine a game's value.

1000% this. I hardly ever take reviewers' opinions to heart completely. Most of the time I must see for myself if the game sounds enough up my alley.

Hell, go watch a stream for a while before deciding. See gameplay for yourself.

Setmeni

So I’m helping that girl rescue her father, how much longer do I have in chapter 1? I’m really not liking this first chapter but I’m assuming because nothing is opened up yet.

So, whose opinion should people that are unsure about a game listen? Yours? Mine? Maybe a gaffer that was riding the hype and ended up dissapointed? Or another gaffer that didn't care and loved the game?

This is why we have Twitch streams my friend. Review score only tells you whether the game is a flop or not, nothing more.

a 90 from IGN is the same as a 84 to me, it really makes no difference, I only watch review scores to see whether the game is a flop (below 70) or not a flop (above 70).

To me, there're only two different scores, and even then it's not always accurate.
Lost Planet 2 was one of my favorite co-op TPS of all time and yet it only got 68 on metacritic. The game is straight up a 90 in my eyes, I wouldn't have gave it a try If I take review scores seriously.

mazillion

Any reviewer you trust. You find someone whose opinions align with yours and see what they have to say.

That why mainstream review outlets are so pointless. You never know who you're going to get reviewing the next game and how their personal taste will affect the score compared to the previous reviewers. The game could be way better and you'd never know it if the person who reviewed it this time, say, hates open world games.

Top Bottom