• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

ryseing

So does this game have character Skins like Shadow of Mordor. I really liked using them in Shadow of Mordor.

Nah, they went the loot route instead. Fortunately some of the loot looks really good but I agree- I enjoyed the visuals of playing as Celebrimbor instead of boring old Talion.

The healing in this game is kind of broken

Admittedly I’m not playing on Nemesis

But every time I’m in trouble I just kite a grunt around a corner and drain his ass

I’m almost level 10 and only died once in first 5 minutes when I ran into three captains in Minas Ithil and fucked myself for Last Chance by spamming dodge

I’m sticking with normal because this ain’t Dark Souls and I like feeling powerful, but perhaps they could have made healing a bit more challenging. I mean this is one step away from auto-heal in Destiny ...

Coolluck

But every time I’m in trouble I just kite a grunt around a corner and drain his ass

I’m almost level 10 and only died once in first 5 minutes when I ran into three captains in Minas Ithil and fucked myself for Last Chance by spamming dodge

I’m sticking with normal because this ain’t Dark Souls and I like feeling powerful, but perhaps they could have made healing a bit more challenging. I mean this is one step away from auto-heal in Destiny ...

You should have done Nemesis. It's not Dark Souls hard by any means and it gives the game a sense of challenge that the first lacked on normal. The thing is, you'll probably still do that move on Nemesis. It's a good way to stay alive in a battle.

DrBo42

Nemesis is absolutely not Dark Souls. Just gives you 1 last chance and perhaps makes orcs a bit more aggressive. Death is something that should happen in this game to see what the nemesis system offers. You can also switch at any time in the options menu.

jrush64

Banned
Nah, they went the loot route instead. Fortunately some of the loot looks really good but I agree- I enjoyed the visuals of playing as Celebrimbor instead of boring old Talion.

That sucks ass. I absolutely detest the guy's design. He just looks like the default oblivion character setting.

I hope you can mod his appearance on PC by the time I get the game.

Is there a way to level up a whole region a bunch? I skipped the 2nd region from act 1 and went straight to where everyone was like 4 lvls higher than me but now that I'm done with that region I went back and everyone is lvl 9 or so to my lvl 27 Talion.
Nemesis is absolutely not Dark Souls. Just gives you 1 last chance and perhaps makes orcs a bit more aggressive. Death is something that should happen in this game to see what the nemesis system offers. You can also switch at any time in the options menu.
nemesis vastly lengthens the time it takes to drain people and makes everything hit like a truck. It's still no dark souls because the masses of orcs presented every fight are way too chaotic and losing and winning both feels cheap.

Weebos

Banned
dunno, just unlocked the army and branding. maybe its because i only did main missions. iam lvl 15 and orcs are 12-20+ in the area

I got into Act 2 at level 14, so you're not alone.

You can shame Captains to bring them down to your level.

mazillion

Is there a way to level up a whole region a bunch? I skipped the 2nd region from act 1 and went straight to where everyone was like 4 lvls higher than me but now that I'm done with that region I went back and everyone is lvl 9 or so to my lvl 27 Talion.

I don't know the answer but I am curious to know what happens when you kill the weak captains, maybe they get replaced with ones relative to your level?

Ugh

My 360 controller isnt being recognized in game anymore? It was working fine previously but now after I press A to pass the title menu, in the main menu it stops working. Its just this game too

Edit: Restarting the computer seemed to fix it :l Laaame. Nothing else worked(Unplugging it, switching ports, etc.)

renzolama

That sucks ass. I absolutely detest the guy's design. He just looks like the default oblivion character setting.

I hope you can mod his appearance on PC by the time I get the game.

It's kind of strange how ugly and 'sparse' his character model / face is, or at least how much I'm perceiving it that way vs barely noticing it in the first game. I remember thinking "this game looks surprisingly great" even when I played the original earlier this year (on max settings PC), but something about the environment detail and character model for Talion has me feeling the opposite this time. It might just be expectations, dunno.

Oh man I love this Nemesis System. I had to shame a captain twice which made him deranged and not able to speak so he has another orc that goes with him and is his voice. I want to recruit him but his Iron Will trait hasn't broken yet so I keep shaming him and he gets more deranged and his orc speaker just told me to kill him already.

Had another one begging for me to kill him since he cannot stand the torment of life any longer.

Oh man I love this Nemesis System. I had to shame a captain twice which made him deranged and not able to speak so he has another orc that goes with him and is his voice. I want to recruit him but his Iron Will trait hasn't broken yet so I keep shaming him and he gets more deranged and his orc speaker just told me to kill him already.

Had another one begging for me to kill him since he cannot stand the torment of life any longer.

Yup. It has some lol moments too.

I shot a barrel and hit an Orc Bard with it, and he died because he's weak to fire. I'm running across Mina Ithil and then he catches me again, this timed burned. And I shot a barrel next to him and he burned to death instantly again. I feel bad for him but you know, I can't dominate him yet unfortunately lol.

I hope he cheats death so I can burn him instantly again.

I can't seem to stay alive very long in Nemesis lol. Shit is brutal.

But I love it.

Aklamarth

Anyone else thinks the game looks kind of ugly / bland ? PC with everything on ultra
(and ultra textures ) and to me it looks kind of ugly on a technical level. And the art direction doesn't really helps...

carlsojo

Spent a good while whittling this giant captain's health down. Tried to dominate him but I forgot that his level is too high. So I chose fight to the death..... and he killed me ... and broke my sword.

Feels bad man.

rav

Anyone else thinks the game looks kind of ugly / bland ? PC with everything on ultra
(and ultra textures ) and to me it looks kind of ugly on a technical level. And the art direction doesn't really helps...

I think it looks awesome, personally. Especially the armor and weapons, the environments I've seen so far are also awesome. (1080ti)

Edited to add: it adds to the feeling of Middle-Earth for me. I think that's why I like it so much.

I felt that way about the first game and is probably the main reason I won't get this one, the art direction is probably one of my least liked this gen, I find everything from characters to environment bland and ugly to look at. It has nothing to do with graphics, is merely from an artistic point of view.

TikeMyson

Today I encountered an orc captain that I've beaten. But instead of killing him he went crazy and escaped. On the next encounter instead of talking he was just laughing. I fucking love the Nemesis system.

unrealist

I am not sure on how to do the last stand .. I always seem to miss it or get killed .. do I press it immediately once the button I am supposed to press appears? Once I press it, the captain kills me regardless even if I hit it correctly.

J_Viper

Am I the only one having trouble killing the big orcs?

They're so adorable, I don't want to hurt them : (

Is there a way to dominate broken orcs without having to grapple or "hold B" on them? It's sometimes impossible to do either when you're being mobbed by twenty regular orcs at the same time.

I felt that way about the first game and is probably the main reason I won't get this one, the art direction is probably one of my least liked this gen, I find everything from characters to environment bland and ugly to look at. It has nothing to do with graphics, is merely from an artistic point of view.
The orc designs are all great, but I agree on the rest.

Along with Doom '16 and Wolf TNO, it has the most bland art direction this gen.

DrBo42

I am not sure on how to do the last stand .. I always seem to miss it or get killed .. do I press it immediately once the button I am supposed to press appears? Once I press it, the captain kills me regardless even if I hit it correctly.
Wait until the outer closing ring enters the circle that has the button prompt and press the required button.

smurfx

get some go again
haha i was about to get killed by a captain and this gondorian showed up out of nowhere and delivered the finishing blow.

ryseing

It sucks that while the capture parts of the siege battles are these huge affairs with 10+ captains the Overlord bits are only you/your Bodyguard and mount summon against the Overlord and unlimited adds. The Overlord battles have taken me longer than the capture stuff since I put in the work to install my spies and the Overlords tend to have some really annoying traits. IMO they should have made your assault leaders squishier but then allowed them to enter the throne room with you, so there's more of an emphasis on staying with the assault force by rewarding you with an easier Overlord battle.

Hell, give the Overlord a couple of secret bodyguards. This mostly 1v1 stuff just doesn't feel like a good capper for the work you've put in by playing with the Nemesis system, installing your spies and then capturing the points.

bugulu

I just unlocked the domination ability and have a question.
How do I deploy the orcs I got from the war chests? It says that I can deploy them to any region but how exactly do you do it?

GravePleasantDiplodocus-size_restricted.gif

BigDug13

I just unlocked the domination ability and have a question.
How do I deploy the orcs I got from the war chests? It says that I can deploy them to any region but how exactly do you do it?

I had that question earlier too. Once you take down the first fortress all that became unlocked for me.

It's kind of strange how ugly and 'sparse' his character model / face is, or at least how much I'm perceiving it that way vs barely noticing it in the first game. I remember thinking "this game looks surprisingly great" even when I played the original earlier this year (on max settings PC), but something about the environment detail and character model for Talion has me feeling the opposite this time. It might just be expectations, dunno.

it's not just you. it's jarring how simplistic just about all the human faces are. now the orcs? - weirdly, enough, not nearly so much! :) ...

Just got to the
arena.

Man this game is plain fun.

Can’t believe people are missing it due to loot box bitterness. Oh well

Nemesis mode a good difficulty to play if I felt the first game was absurdly easy?
From what I can tell, it just makes the orcs more aggressive so they'll attack far more often, meaning fights just get drawn out longer because you're dodging/countering after every attack. That, and captains ambush you a lot more, to the point where they'll pop up out of thin air when there's not even a single orc on the minimap. Oh, and you only get one last chance instead of two.

I'm glad Nemesis difficult doesn't just increasing damage dealt, but it still feels really easy to break the game.

So is there anyway to deal with a blood brother that doesn't lead to one of them betraying you? I had one captain who had a blood brother, I sent my captain on a mission while i went to deal with the brother. Killed the brother my captain appeared, betrayed me, then I shamed him but couldn't get the iron will to drop so I ended up killing him.

guys ran into a bug i think.

I was capturing a fort... and after capturing 'A' I don't seem to be able to place a flag..

Am I pressing the wrong button??

It sucks that while the capture parts of the siege battles are these huge affairs with 10+ captains the Overlord bits are only you/your Bodyguard and mount summon against the Overlord and unlimited adds. The Overlord battles have taken me longer than the capture stuff since I put in the work to install my spies and the Overlords tend to have some really annoying traits. IMO they should have made your assault leaders squishier but then allowed them to enter the throne room with you, so there's more of an emphasis on staying with the assault force by rewarding you with an easier Overlord battle.

Hell, give the Overlord a couple of secret bodyguards. This mostly 1v1 stuff just doesn't feel like a good capper for the work you've put in by playing with the Nemesis system, installing your spies and then capturing the points.
I was just gonna make this post. Captured a fort and had to squat to get it since I had all my people installed, just let me waltz in and capture every single point.

Then I get to the overlord and he's this berserker that spawns unlimted adds and is immune to frost and arrows and adapted to both my vaulting and stunning him to get hits in. I was at my wits end on how to beat him but my bodyguard was sleeper OP and took care of him.

He didn't have any great stats or was epic but the dude saved my ass an unbelievable amount of times and tore people apart way beyond his level.

I want to keep him around in every location now.

liezryou

Holy shit i was sieging a fort where i had all warchiefs mine and the overlord literally executed one of them as a part of his defending intro speech. RIP legendary orc. I love this game.

EDIT: And in the same siege... at the last point one of my warchiefs was backstabbed right as i got to it. RIP 2 legendary orcs.

You should have done Nemesis. It's not Dark Souls hard by any means and it gives the game a sense of challenge that the first lacked on normal. The thing is, you'll probably still do that move on Nemesis. It's a good way to stay alive in a battle.

I can't seem to stay alive very long in Nemesis lol. Shit is brutal.

But I love it.

All right. I’ll try it. :)

egruntz

shelaughz
I didn't play the first game, so I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, but I'm just trying to understand because this AI system is so fascinating to me and I love it.

Is everyone guaranteed a nemesis?

As in, okay...

I started in Gondor Act 1, and I've never played this franchise, so I ran in and died to an orc named Turok or something. I wanted to beat him badly but he killed me probably four times in a row. In the process he kept leveling up and got promoted to Epic.

Figured I'd do some quests, get some skill points, come back and finally beat him.

Which I did! Felt amazing.

But later, I'm hunting down another captain, and he COMES BACK as "THE MACHINE." Says his orc brethren put him back together, and now he's covered in metal limbs and metal parts. It's AWESOME.

Now I've killed him probably 10 times. He just keeps coming back again and again.

Is this "my" nemesis? Like he'll be here for the rest of the game, periodically jumping me?

And is everyone guaranteed this kind of nemesis?

Do I get more nemeses? Or if I get more I replace this guy?

Thanks guys for the explanation. Really, really neat game. Don't really like LOTR but wow, what a great concept.

PepperedHam

So I've seen a consensus to wait to do Nemesis stuff until Act 2? Is that true? Just seems like Act 1 is long as fuck so far (not sure how far into it I am, but it's been a good while) and I feel like I'll be missing out on exp and stuff that would naturally come to me by not just powering through the story to get Act 2 unlocked.

Anyway, loving this so far. Loved the first game, only complaint with that was them waiting to give you dominate and stuff, which seems to be the pattern as it's happening again in the second game. But the armor/weapon system in this is hooking me (not hard to do, I'm just really weak to loot) and the combat and orc personalities are as fun as ever.

I didn't play the first game, so I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, but I'm just trying to understand because this AI system is so fascinating to me and I love it.

Is everyone guaranteed a nemesis?

As in, okay...

You are pretty much describing why the first game won many GotY awards.

Yes that is your Nemesis.

Yes we all have one. :)

iFirez

I may have gone overboard... I’ve killed every captain in the first city/area... got a hard crash going to my first Shelob memory though.

This AC/Batman combat system that was in the first game is also far too easy and after all these years has become a cake walk. I’m hoping AC:O’s New combat system really does change things up a lot because this combat system is far too easy.

I do like the huge amounts of enemies on screen and waves of enemies that seem to just hunt you down. One of my favourite moments was fighting 2 captains at once and then a third came in with a group too - it became such a mess. Counter, attack, execution and over and over.

Top Bottom