• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 beta has launched

Lucent

Certainly feels like the early build it is.
Lots of framerate problems, particularly during the boss fight.
The boss was really annoying being completely random and all. That combined with the framerate issues made it a nightmare. Thankfully this'll likely get better. Still, the completely random nature is annoying.

No voices was absolutely horrible though.
Made the level feel really bad.
Still can't believe that wasn't part of the initial goal. I expect at least like grunts and stuff in this game.
The standard sound effects are really annoying.

How is no voices annoying though? They weren't in Mega Man games besides Legends and some of the other ones.

Busaiku

It's something I've come to expect playing games like Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, modern Mega Man games, and so on.

Busaiku

Yes, I definitely do.
A lot has changed in 15 years.
Dunno why people still like to bring up Mega Man 8, when games like Powered Up sound fine.

Lucent

It's something I've come to expect playing games like Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, modern Mega Man games, and so on.

Well, it's not like they can just add voices in if they were seeking funds for the voices after the fact. Didn't look like that kickstarter went very well. I'm fine with it if they don't do it. Just as long as there is no sound as the text is running or if you can turn it off.

Mzo

I got an A on my last run!

There were a few bugs here and there, like the way the walls you have to slide through don't stop shots, but overall it feels really good to play. The dash is way faster than X's and eating people is a neat mechanic that makes the game just different enough to feel fresh.

Huge thumbs up from me so far.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I got an A on my last run!

There were a few bugs here and there, like the way the walls you have to slide through don't stop shots, but overall it feels really good to play. The dash is way faster than X's and eating people is a neat mechanic that makes the game just different enough to feel fresh.

Huge thumbs up from me so far.

I thought they only didn't stop shots because you had the piercing bonus?

Mzo

I thought they only didn't stop shots because you had the piercing bonus?

Good call, you're definitely right about that. I should've realized the stronger shots were also piercing since they kept setting off far away robots way too soon.

edit: like someone mentioned, voice acting is sorely missing. You can see text pop up from time to time, but the game is so fast-paced I never gave it a glance.

Krammy

Mighty Gunvolt (3DS crossover between MN9, Gunvolt and GalGun) is free to all MN9 backers too.

Got my beta email and nothing about Mighty Gunvolt. Where did you hear it was free?

EDIT: For now I'll assume you saw the PAX flyer that gave out Mighty Gunvolt along with the Mighty Number 9 key.

Mzo

Got my beta email and nothing about Mighty Gunvolt. Where did you hear it was free?

EDIT: For now I'll assume you saw the PAX flyer that gave out Mighty Gunvolt along with the Mighty Number 9 key.

Uncle Inafune said Mighty Gunvolt was free to all backers during the panel.

Ryuuga

Banned
Got my beta email. Not seeing anything about a strict NDA, so I could stream right?

EDIT: Nevermind no stipulations as long as we acknowledge that its a work in progress.

mosaic

go eat paint
Pretty good for a very early build. Framerate seems dodgy no matter what settings I pick, but perhaps they will iron that out in time. I think my only complaint right now is the knockback. That section with all the boxes and deadly electrical spike pits is no fun to explore because one hit can knock you around like a pinball if you're in the right (wrong?) spot. What can I say, I like taking the less safe routes...

rjc571

Banned
Using my Xbox 360 controller, Beck turned around and faced the wrong direction almost every single time I stopped moving. I had to switch to mouse and keyboard just to defeat the boss. They really need to implement a deadzone to make up for the 360 controller's shitty joystick. Performance badly needs to be optimized as well.

Amani

Ah, should've sprang for the extra 20 bucks so I could play. Sounds like a rough build judging from the comments though.

jediyoshi

Recorded a gameplay clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpyqfzWW5PY

Using my Xbox 360 controller, Beck turned around and faced the wrong direction almost every single time I stopped moving. I had to switch to mouse and keyboard just to defeat the boss. They really need to implement a deadzone to make up for the 360 controller's shitty joystick.

I didn't run into this issue but there's no analog movement anyway, do you just prefer using the stick?

Mzo

My settings were on Ultra and I didn't feel any issues.

I used the dpad on a PS3 controller to play this.

Ryuuga

Banned
Are you playing an edited video? The game keeps skipping.

Could be my connection

I liked it, but wish they let us test drive the absorbed ability. I was having a bit of difficulty at first because I decided to not calibrate my controller. So by default (DS4) jump was Circle and shoot was Square. Fun times.

Maybe it's just me but I'm getting the impression that the game looks a lot better than the last time they showed it.

Yeah, it's shaping up pretty well. I actually thought it looked slow, but it feels fast and responsive when dashing allowing for some advanced platforming, combo racking.

Durante

bwadqxkceaaxl3e.jpglap4kot.jpg
Hey, they have a screen percentage slider. Can anyone with the beta tell if that allows supersampling? Or is it just for subsampling?

Chev

So not only are we financing that game but we also have to find all the bugs for them?

If you're really part of "we" then you knew that back when you pledged for a tier which has "BETA ACCESS" in the description.

KHlover

Banned
So not only are we financing that game but we also have to find all the bugs for them?

Before publishers killed the term with all the one week early access "beta"s in the last few years...yes, that's EXACTLY what a beta is intended for. At least in online games. Server stress test and to find bugs which weren't experienced on the dev units.

Obv. MN9 has no servers to stress-test, but still plenty of bugs to find :3

jediyoshi

Well obviously I'm not going to use the 360 controller's d-pad. Although the joystick is almost as bad.

Yikes, I can't even imagine wanting to use a joystick in the best case scenario for this. Unless it's a fighting game, something with 4 way or analog movement, anything other than a dpad is sacrilege.

You can play this like a Mega Man game and shoot things and it's pretty cool

or you can actually chain the dash/absorb thing after learning how it works and feel like MMMMMMMM

Tak3n

Banned
Can not help feel Early Access is a shit storm waiting to happen

charge less than 80$ you piss off the very people who helped get your product launched..

Charge 80$ and the steam mob will cause havoc on the forums

this is a no win situation

Kiyo

charge less than 80$ you piss off the very people who helped get your product launched..

Why? They're getting it early. The game isn't up on Steam Early Access right now.

I was just playing it for the first time. I played it for maybe 45 minutes before it crashed when I tried to switch it over to my second monitor (TV). I didn't beat the level and I thought it was pretty hard. Maybe I'm just too used to infinite tries from Shovel Knight and Gunvolt, but I wish MN9 had infinite tries too. This level is pretty long and it sucks having to replay all that to get back to where you were.

The first thing I noticed was that Beck's movement feels good. I think the game feels like what if after MMX they wanted to get back to basics with MM instead of going the other direction and get even more complex, like MMZ. I guess this feels like the Street Fighter 4 of Mega Man. You don't get a charge beam, slide, wall jump, or anything like that in what I played. It feels a lot like MM1 in that way. The only thing you get it your air dash, which can be done multiple times while in the air and lets you change directions in mid air. You can also use like a slide. It doesn't feel like there are any many limits on what you can do with the air dash or how many times you can do it. Proper and creative use of the air dash looks like is going to be the thing that sets good players apart.

I think the graphics are kind of lame looking still and I want the game to look more like the concept art. I don't know if I'm going to get that, but I don't really like the shiny CG look it has right now. I want it to look 2D, celshaded, anime, and all that. The character portraits also don't look good right now and don't even match the game's graphics.

Gunvolt is crazy hardcore batshit crazy anime badassness trying to one up the MMZ games, but is really not that much like Mega Man. Gunvolt is really its own thing, unlike MN9.

Lucent

What? You think that the lower tiers didn't help? Pretty sure the people who threw down at least $80 felt it was worth the risk. If it was all to help get the product launched anyway, none of them should feel bad. They just wanted to do more for the project. If Inafune decides to make it more open, I think he should. I still essentially bought the game, so letting me play it early isn't really unfair.

rjc571

Banned
I was just playing it for the first time. I played it for maybe 45 minutes before it crashed when I tried to switch it over to my second monitor (TV). I didn't beat the level and I thought it was pretty hard. Maybe I'm just too used to infinite tries from Shovel Knight and Gunvolt, but I wish MN9 had infinite tries too. This level is pretty long and it sucks having to replay all that to get back to where you were.

You get infinite tries on the boss. There's some assist character (similar to Eddie in Mega Man) who gives you a 1up in front of the boss door every time you respawn. If you lose often enough he gives you a temporary powerup as well. I think it makes the game lame and ruins the sense of accomplishment you get in Mega Man when you defeat a difficult boss. Hopefully there's an option to turn this off.

Top Bottom