• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 beta has launched

Do people who've played this beta not find the bullets being the exact same for Beck and that boss a problem? Just placeholder? Makes it less readable and hard to follow for me as a viewer.

bumpkin

So that's a bummer... Tried the beta last night on my MacBook Pro using VMWare Fusion 6. My rig is a mid-2012 system with an Intel i7 with 16GB of RAM. I created a Windows 7 (64 bit) virtual machine, gave it four CPU cores and 8GB of RAM. I had to crank the graphic quality down to Low to get it to be relatively smooth. :(

I've thought about using Boot Camp to run Windows with full hardware capabilities, but it just seems like an impractical amount of work for a beta. Especially when I plan to get a copy of the game on Mac and a console (I did the PayPal backer extra) in the end.

Tusk

couldn't play the beta at first 'cuz my comp wouldn't let me open it, guess my main computer is just really terrible. Every time I tried, windows would say it stopped working.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun playing it, but I thought the boss was kind of annoying. Needs a little less health, and that explosion that takes up half the screen should do a little less damage if it's gonna be that huge.

Something that's really bothering me watching this... Beck's gun arm changes whether he's facing left or right... Sad face.

Megatron

I had no issues running this on my laptop last night. I used an xb1 controller (side note, really annoying how doing that de-synchs the controller with my xb1).

The game didnt really hold my interest to be honest. I didn't even bother to finish the level. Maybe I will try again. Also the graphics... I mean I realize the art shown for the kickstarter was just concept art, but man, the game isn't even close to that. It just looks so bland and primitive.

Newboi

I sat down and played the beta for a little while yesterday. I'm looking the concept that the Comcept team is going for. The chaining system is really fun. I actually feel that the chain absorption system commands the necessity for more enemies. There's a part of me that wishes the team went for a more cellshaded/anime inspired look for the game. I know this game is still a year out, but the graphics are super rough.I wish the dev team could license Arc System's customized UE3 engine, so that MN9 could have cell-shaded 3D graphics like Guilty Gear Xrd (a man can dream).

Edit: I have to admit to. The Beta didn't really hold my attention that well either. Maybe it'll do better on my Vita.

I had no issues running this on my laptop last night. I used an xb1 controller (side note, really annoying how doing that de-synchs the controller with my xb1).

The game didnt really hold my interest to be honest. I didn't even bother to finish the level. Maybe I will try again. Also the graphics... I mean I realize the art shown for the kickstarter was just concept art, but man, the game isn't even close to that. It just looks so bland and primitive.

Yeah, that concept art looked really exciting, and quite honestly, it looked achievable on the new consoles.

Alienous

Judging from the footage the dash needs to be more fluid. The constant stop-start doesn't seem like a great mechanic. A game like Strider makes this look like amateur weekend.

mclem

Something that's really bothering me watching this... Beck's gun arm changes whether he's facing left or right... Sad face.

That's kind of weird, since I'd just expect them to draw the existing model from the other side. Flipping the model seems a bit odd, given that that actually strikes me as the more difficult option. Unless, maybe, they're deliberately doing that to go for the old aesthetic,

TnK

So, where do I find the key?

Mind you, I never registered the username and password on their site.

epmode

Yeah, that concept art looked really exciting, and quite honestly, it looked achievable on the new consoles.

I blame the handheld ports for forcing them to keep a min spec in mind. And yes, I know that those ports are being handled by another developer.

But really, if you can't do a properly cel shaded 3D game, gone with 2D. I'd have been completely happy with pixel art. Cheaper AND better looking.

Nose Master

Streamin' high score attempts again.

My highest atm is 85,100. Which is decent, but isn't even close to the current champ on the official forums who has 90ksomething. :(.

Anyone get the no-damage bonus yet?

EDIT: 88,300. I fucked up the last top-right corner and missed one or two other enemies along the way. :(. Archive should be up now-ish.

Flarin

Anyone else having trouble playing this in full screen mode?
I tried putting it in full screen and now the game refuses to keep its window open. It just continually minimizes to the task bar. Can't even open the game to adjust it. Deleted and re-installed as well.
Thoughts?
Fuck PC gaming. I always have annoying problems like this :p

Does anyone else kind of wish they had just gone with MMX style wallclinging and walljumping? I understand that might not be the kind of platforming they're going for in terms of freedom of movement, but it's not like it's impossible to create surfaces that can't be clung to or walljumped from. I say this because I really feel like ledge grabbing is just clunky and doesn't feel good or satisfying from a gameplay perspective.

Streamin' high score attempts again.

My highest atm is 85,100. Which is decent, but isn't even close to the current champ on the official forums who has 90ksomething. :(.

Anyone get the no-damage bonus yet?

EDIT: 88,300. I fucked up the last top-right corner and missed one or two other enemies along the way. :(. Archive should be up now-ish.

Damn, that's still really good going. I've only just managed to get up to 76,000. My main issue is that about a 3rd of the way through the level I drop my combo - its the section where you have the enemies and several explosive barrels - detonating the barrels early kills my chance at 100%ing some of the enemies. I've almost managed the no damage bonus one time, but I invariably mess us (or No.5 jumps on me!)

I'm really loving it though, I just wish there was a quick restart button for when I screw up to start the level again, rather than having to quit back to the main menu.

*edit* Managed to break through the part I was stuck on and rack up a better combo. Up to 82,000 now, I made plenty of mistakes and I know I can do better but I'll take a break for now else I'll never get anything else done.

Newboi

Does anyone else kind of wish they had just gone with MMX style wallclinging and walljumping? I understand that might not be the kind of platforming they're going for in terms of freedom of movement, but it's not like it's impossible to create surfaces that can't be clung to or walljumped from. I say this because I really feel like ledge grabbing is just clunky and doesn't feel good or satisfying from a gameplay perspective.

I completely agree.

KingSlime

Have any backers received the free Mighty Gunvolt download code that is supposedly coming? They said it would come this week, but I haven't gotten an email yet.

LiK

I'm confused how their Gamepad button remapping works. None of my buttons work with 360 controller from default settings.

Going on total black out for this. I want my first impressions to be with the full game.

Although it is really tempting...*sweats*

Nose Master

Welp, so much for giving a shit about high scores. Enemies respawn indefinitely if you back track, so you can just keep going back and forth through the level, sloppy as shit (with constantly refilling energy tanks), until you get a 99,999 level score.

jznKY5obhuplc.jpg

Damn, that's still really good going. I've only just managed to get up to 76,000. My main issue is that about a 3rd of the way through the level I drop my combo - its the section where you have the enemies and several explosive barrels - detonating the barrels early kills my chance at 100%ing some of the enemies. I've almost managed the no damage bonus one time, but I invariably mess us (or No.5 jumps on me!)

I'm really loving it though, I just wish there was a quick restart button for when I screw up to start the level again, rather than having to quit back to the main menu.

*edit* Managed to break through the part I was stuck on and rack up a better combo. Up to 82,000 now, I made plenty of mistakes and I know I can do better but I'll take a break for now else I'll never get anything else done.

You can see how I handle it in my archives, but for the barrel room (which, indeed sucks):

Wait for the penetrating shot buff to wear off before killing the first shield enemy. Kill the knight, jump over the barrels. Shoot the enemy on the left, absorb and purposely keep dashing into the (now) exploding barrels. Use the invul frame time to shoot the next stack of barrels and try your damnest to absorb all three in one dash. Alternatively, you can just kill the shield guy last, but, I never do.

Also, if you skip an enemy or two after staggering them it doesn't affect your absorption percentage. I usually skip one of the three flying dudes when I botch that barrel shit.

I honestly wish I could turn off penetrating shot. All it does is fuck up combo potential and make you play the levels awkwardly. The mild damage boost isn't worth it.

Mzo

Played a little more and figured out the touchy parts where I kept losing my combo.

Got full chain, every enemy 100% Absorption Rate but got hit in some really dumb ways. You have to get 100% on all the boss absorptions as well, which meant I was nervous as hell when I got to him and he tagged me a couple of times.

A perfect run is definitely doable, but I don't really want to run the level over and over until I get it.

I'll put up the video tomorrow.

Mzo

Here's my S-rank run with 100% absorption.

I ran into a couple of enemies like an idiot and took some shots from the boss, but a no-hit run seems pretty doable. Something kept fucking up every time I tried it, though, so I just went with the best one so far.

CTLance

Just got my mighty gunvolt code and...na only

From the kickstarter it looks like that's the only region that gets it for free

unless the wordings bad, and other regions get it later, which I wouldn't put it past them. They've had pretty awful follow-up all told since their kickstarter finished
email said:
MIGHTY GUNVOLT MINI-FAQ
If I don’t have a 3DS, is it possible to get Mighty Gunvolt for some other system?
Sorry, but no. Mighty Gunvolt is only available for the 3DS.

If I live outside North America, is it possible to get a code for my region?
Sorry but we can only offer everyone North American 3DS eShop codes. We realize backers come from all over the world, and we very much value our fans from other countries, but unfortunately region-free codes were not an option, so we picked the region where the majority of our backers hailed from.
No code for tier two countries.

Yet another reason why I don't have a 3DS. Region codes on a handheld are simply laughable.

^^^
Is Canada excluded as well? I haven't gotten any email for it.
Did I need to be in a certain tier or was I supposed to request a Mighty Gunvolt code during the survey?

RiggyRob

Where do you get the free code for Mighty Gunvolt on the 3DS from?

Unfortunately I don't live in NA, but I'll be able to send someone the code once I get it.

Where do you get the free code for Mighty Gunvolt on the 3DS from?

Unfortunately I don't live in NA, but I'll be able to send someone the code once I get it.

It should be e-mailed to you. They just started sending them out today, so it might take another day or two for everyone to get them.

Toxi

Banned
Welp, so much for giving a shit about high scores. Enemies respawn indefinitely if you back track, so you can just keep going back and forth through the level, sloppy as shit (with constantly refilling energy tanks), until you get a 99,999 level score.

jznKY5obhuplc.jpg
The best way to solve this would be to just make enemies you've killed already not give additional points, like how in Shovel Knight a respawned enemy doesn't drop additional gems.

Wait for the penetrating shot buff to wear off before killing the first shield enemy. Kill the knight, jump over the barrels. Shoot the enemy on the left, absorb and purposely keep dashing into the (now) exploding barrels. Use the invul frame time to shoot the next stack of barrels and try your damnest to absorb all three in one dash. Alternatively, you can just kill the shield guy last, but, I never do.

Also, if you skip an enemy or two after staggering them it doesn't affect your absorption percentage. I usually skip one of the three flying dudes when I botch that barrel shit.

I honestly wish I could turn off penetrating shot. All it does is fuck up combo potential and make you play the levels awkwardly. The mild damage boost isn't worth it.

Thanks for the tips. I did manage to figure out an alternative way to get through the bit with the penatrating shot but its tricky to pull off. On the lone enemy I take him out from afar to not trigger any barrels. The I take out the bottom barrel where the red shield dude is to stun the two enemies then dash through as soon as its safe. The time is strict but I get both in one dash and it shouldn't take out the next wave of barrels if done right.
Lastly I take out the barrel parralel with the middle of the last three enemies, wait a second for the explosion to clear and then do a dash through the middle enemy to get all three in one go. Its tricky and I only got it to work once, but it does work...

Its a pity about the scoring being broken at the moment due to respawning enemies. I expect that to be fixed in the final version otherwise it kind of cheapens the whole point to getting a high score. Reminds me of Megaman 1 where you could max out the score just by abusing the respawning enemies in Bomb Mans stage...

No damage, full combo, all 4 known point bonuses earned.

I don't think I can do better than this aside from shaving off a little time here and there. Wouldn't affect the score, though.

http://youtu.be/I87T41HQcJ4

Awesome work, I think it'd take me ages to manage this. I can almost full combo the level eventually but I always end up taking damage due to my impatience.

bumpkin

For any of my backer brethren who are Mac users, I decided to set up Boot Camp on my Mac and try the beta with Windows 7 Professional using my hardware's full capabilities (not gimped by virtualization). The MN9 beta runs at Ultra detail, smooth as butter! :D

MacBook Pro's specs...

2.3GHz, Intel i7
16MB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 & NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

There was a small update on steam, I believe some menu enhancements and a new stage is available.

Judging from the email I got the other day it should have almost if not all the stages now included in the game, plus the extra modes like challenge mode available to play. I don't have a working graphics card on my PC at the moment so I can't play the damn thing yet though which sucks, as this is totally my most anticipated game for the next year...

Top Bottom