• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 beta has launched

rjc571

Banned
I dug out my ancient SideWinder pad circa 1999 from storage and the game plays much, much better with it. It's pretty shocking how the Xbox 360 controller has become the de facto industry standard for PC gaming over the years, considering how terrible it is compared to pretty much every other controller that's ever been on the market.

To clarify my above response, the game only starts feeling sorry for you and giving you 1ups after every death once you've game over'd a few times. I still don't like this feature -- it's basically Nintendo's super guide feature that they used in a few games, except it's pretty much forced upon you.

Busaiku

You can avoid them.
When those helper robots drop the items, just jump over them.

It's not like they automatically give you those upgrades.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing for a couple hours now. Game runs great and looks amazing. Beck looks a bit off, but the enemies and bosses are right on point.

I only got one game over because I kept hitting the wall spikes in the conveyor belt room
and I was using mouse/keyboard just to see how it played before switching over to superior Wii U Pro Controller
, but otherwise I found it to be rather easy to control.

You can cheap out
Mighty No. 5 by dashing over him as soon as he lands. He'll end up shooting in the other direction.
Also, don't be on the same side of the screen as the wall bomb. Think that's either an OHKO or takes at least >50% of your health.
Makes me wonder if all the boss fights will be that easy.

Haven't had any crashes or bugs yet, but I'll be doing plenty more replays. Just too darn fun!

:avatarquote:

Kssio_Aug

Waiting for impressions, mainly about the gameplay and the game art direction (that was looking terrible by the leaked screens).

bumpkin

You can cheap out
Mighty No. 5 by dashing over him as soon as he lands. He'll end up shooting in the other direction.
Also, don't be on the same side of the screen as the wall bomb. Think that's either an OHKO or takes at least >50% of your health.
Makes me wonder if all the boss fights will be that easy.
I was on the other side every single time and always took huge damage and/or died... I eventually gave up on trying to beat him. Between that and the frame rate hiccups screwing up my reactions to his attacks, it became an exercise in futility. :(

As for general feedback, it mostly revolves around said boss fight. I don't like how the damage you deal to the boss is only superficial until you do the absorb dash. it also sucks that whatever percentage you get (based on how quickly you hit 'em with it) dictates how much of the potential damage they're actually dealt. It felt like I was fighting a boss with regenerating health ala COD or Gears. When I was already frustrated with the frame rate screwing up the precision of my moves, it was insult to injury.

But all told, I'm happy with the beta. It looks pretty slick, save for some minor blemishes here and there. The flaw that jumped out the most to me was Beck himself and some of the characters looking pasted in against the backdrops. By that I mean against the right backgrounds, you see the edges like a bad sprite transparency job.

Mzo

Made a quick video about the game this morning, showing the entire level and talking a little bit about what's going on in the game.

http://youtu.be/745Urbz_6Bc

I think it's turning out very, very well. Just needs a bit of polish, really, but that's to be expected of a beta.

me0wish

The game seems very promising and a lot of fun, BUT the graphics.. argh! so disgusting! Why can't it look like the alpha??

bumpkin

Made a quick video about the game this morning, showing the entire level and talking a little bit about what's going on in the game.

I think it's turning out very, very well. Just needs a bit of polish, really, but that's to be expected of a beta.
The game runs silky smooth on your rig. It's kinda choppy on the PC I'm using, the best performance I can get is with the quality set to Low; and it still hiccups a lot, especially in the first room with the energy spike pits. :(

I was planning to get a copy of the game on Mac, so I'm really hoping it's smooth on that. My MacBook Pro is a new-ish Intel i7 with 16gb of RAM. The PC I'm using only has 4gb of RAM.

I finally beat the level. I beat it again too and I only had to restart once. It turns out I didn't have that much to go to get to the boss. I think getting infinite lives from the robot mascot after dying to the boss makes for a nice balance with the difficulty of the boss and the length of the fight. Since the stage is also difficult and long, I think it would be really hard to beat the level and the boss without the infinite lives, unless you could farm lives. I farm lives in Mega Man games now that I think of it.

klaushm

There is just one mission now. When i looked the gameplay on videos, i thought "Well, it should be easy jump, shot, and dash.".

Hell no. I still need to figure how to get used to it. And, theres some parts you need to think fast. I didn't expected to die several times(not on purpose) on a beta test.

It's really addicting.

And great boss fight :D
I've finished and need more.

Nose Master

Just downloaded and beat it. Really enjoyed it, and it makes me optimistic about the game. The dash feels great, even better than X. The score/stagger system changed it up enough to feel unique, and the scores are a cool idea.

I only died once, but it didn't feel too easy. The dash being spammable in the air makes a lot of the platforming pretty trivial.

The boss not tracking after you jump over him is hilariously bad, though. Without that, he's pretty good.

Compsiox

Banned
I backed this game to support the push against Capcom/Corporations. Now I am actually excited and can't wait to play!

Man, this looks so glorious. Dat airdashing!!! Wished I couldve backed enough for the beta.

Really liking the scoring system too. This and Gunvolt will make me want skill based scoring systems in all my action platformers now.

Nose Master

Another complaint: The health restore system is awkward as shit. Why can't you just get a random % of health/weapon energy pickup on absorption, rather than having to go to a menu and using an e-tank? I didn't even know you could do that until I'd beaten it a few times.

Another complaint: The health restore system is awkward as shit. Why can't you just get a random % of health/weapon energy pickup on absorption, rather than having to go to a menu and using an e-tank? I didn't even know you could do that until I'd beaten it a few times.

So that's what that is. I could have used a health tank.

This is pretty much my one complaint about the game. It does just feel awkward to refill your health on the fly, the pause in the action just feels wrong (even though I use energy tanks in the original and X games). I'm also not completely feeling the soundtrack yet, I#m hoping to change my opinion on that though as I do like the people who are composing the soundtrack so I still have high hopes for that.

The rest of the game though is exactly what I wanted and then some. The game feels like Megaman, but at the same time it has enough to keep it fresh.
My one worry as I saw the early vids was the absorb system, I didn't think I'd really take to it, or it'd distill the enemies and make them too easy to beat but judging by the beta level that's certainly not the case. Enemies are dangerous enough (bar the default lumbering robot who are pretty much harmless) and I found myself getting into a great rhythm when I got the hang of 100% absorbing each enemy.

I love the pace of the game too, it feels really fast no doubt thanks to the excellent dash move which makes manuvering in mid air great, but the level seemed to force you to use that to your advantage (especially near the end). I was worried it would make things all to easy.

The boss is fun as well. I've got his pattern down and he's fairly simple when you know how but I really enjoy fighting him. My only complaint is that if he's standing in his explosion (that he can trigger in the second half of the boss battle) and then decides to start blasting you it gets really hard to see the attacks coming. That's my only complaint on that part though, otherwise its ace.

Graphically its ok, not amazing but I don't really care as its how it plays that is important to me and the beta level has left an excellent first impression. I can't wait to play more of it, and the score/combo mechanic is going to make the game insanely addictive for me.

This game crashed and gave me a black screen and locked Windows 7 up. I had to pull the plug on the PC to restart and then my startup was fucked up and I had to run repair mode on it. I was afraid I would have to reformat. Not playing this again unless it gets updated.

This game is amazing, but I really wish the combo/scoring system could be turned off. It's just distracting, and I have never given a shit about high scores and stuff in games. Especially Mega Man games.

chrono01

If you mean Mighty Gunvolt, the code is in your receipt. Go to the eShop, go left to settings, then Account activity, hit view receipt on Gunvolt, and scroll down.
Receipt? You mean the Mighty No. 9 Beta test email?

I've checked it over, but I can't see the code for the free Mighty Gunvolt. I'm not sure it matters, since I'll probably be buying Gunvolt shortly where I'll receive Mighty Gunvolt for free anyway, but an extra copy would be nice so I could gift it to a friend or whatever. :)

Edit - I should clarify. I'm talking about the free Mighty Gunvolt Mighty Beckers are supposed to receive.

Receipt? You mean the Mighty No. 9 Beta test email?

I've checked it over, but I can't see the code for the free Mighty Gunvolt. I'm not sure it matters, since I'll probably be buying Gunvolt shortly where I'll receive Mighty Gunvolt for free anyway, but an extra copy would be nice so I could gift it to a friend or whatever. :)

Edit - I should clarify. I'm talking about the free Mighty Gunvolt Mighty Beckers are supposed to receive.

No, I don't mean the email, I mean on the eShop on the 3DS. I didn't even know backers got it too.

chrono01

No, I don't mean the email, I mean on the eShop on the 3DS. I didn't even know backers got it too.
Slight miscommunication it seems, haha.

Yeah, I was referring to the free one Kickstarters get and not the one that comes with the purchase of Gunvolt [I've yet to purchase the actual title yet].

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
The spikes are Sonic 1-tier crappy. They can kill you even if your briefly invulnerable.

So it looks like it's impossible to play this unless you backed the Kickstarter at a high-end reward tier. Does anyone know if this game is going to become more widely available soon? I read that the developers are considering a wider planned release on Steam early access. Anyone know if that's correct or the timeframe when wider access to the beta will become available?

I've followed this game from the very beginning. I would've backed it if I wasn't so damn poor at the moment. I'd love to try it out even if it's just the one level or so.

bobawesome

Thanks for this. The game looks pretty good so far and I'm liking the dash and absorb mechanic.

I dug out my ancient SideWinder pad circa 1999 from storage and the game plays much, much better with it. It's pretty shocking how the Xbox 360 controller has become the de facto industry standard for PC gaming over the years, considering how terrible it is compared to pretty much every other controller that's ever been on the market.

To clarify my above response, the game only starts feeling sorry for you and giving you 1ups after every death once you've game over'd a few times. I still don't like this feature -- it's basically Nintendo's super guide feature that they used in a few games, except it's pretty much forced upon you.

Not that hard to understand how the 360 controller became standard. It works with no additional hassle when used with DirectX.

Zomba13

Looks good. I can definitely see some complaints of lack of VO and VO being an added thing and not part of the original backing if characters drop in mid level to say stuff while you're playing. Having to read while also dodge bullets/platform etc can be annoying.

Greenzxy

Meh, the graphics are okay by me. They're practical, which I like, they just need to bump up the color. I'm not the kind of person that cries foul on desaturated hue scheme, but for this style of game I think they should bump it up.
It would be cool if it was a new entry to the Megaman franchise. Kind of like how we have the X series, they could call it: "Mighty Megaman" or something.

Vire

Good god the visuals in this game are hideous. I really hope that aspect improves because just about everything else looks ace.

I really haven't seen graphics this offensive in quite some time, here's wishing it's due to it being an early build.

Remark

Banned
Good god the visuals in this game are hideous. I really hope that aspect improves because just about everything else looks ace.

I really haven't seen graphics this offensive in quite some time, here's wishing it's due to it being an early build.
what the hell no there not

fucking horrible opinion holy shit :O

Vire

I want sprites as much as the next guy, but the game looks fine. Hideous is a bit much.
Nah, I think it's the appropriate word. I really... Really do not like the visual style in the least.

I'm not entirely opposed to it being in 3D, see (Bionic Commando Rearmed), but this game is just ugly. Feel free to disagree though.

Ziffles

High frame rate users:

Since this is a UE3 game, it can be set to 120fps (and probably above). To do this, go to your \steamapps\common\Mighty No. 9\MN9Game\Config\ folder and open Mn9Engine.ini. Change all three "MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62" options to 120 or 144, depending on your refresh rate. I think only the [Engine.GameEngine] option matters, but whatever.

Remember it's not optimized yet, and I get bottlenecked on my 2600k 660ti at times, but I haven't seen any glitches from the high frame rates yet.

Top Bottom