• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Officially delayed - No new date, "aiming for Q1 2016"

RexNovis

Banned
The development of this game is such a colossal clusterfuck. Between all of this and their scummy Red Ash bullshit I wouldn't touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

Inafune can't catch a break.

With all the shit that has happened he doesn't deserve one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isn't it kinda funny that games like Gunvolt can come and go with a micro-hype cycle, but we have to wait years and years for what is basically a similar Mega Man-alike?

I'm confused. I backed this game way back then (Mostly because I did it out of hype. I don't even want the game anymore), and I haven't followed it since then

Can anyone summarize what's triggered all this hostility? I'm legit surprised. I thought everything was going well, and GAF was pretty happy with it

Reality continually happened, and at every turn the developers did not want to tell backers.

Crocodile

3+ months delay JUST for Q&A? I mean its hard for me to straight up call bullshit since I don't know everything that goes into Q&A (and what little I've heard makes it sound like it can be a bit hellhole-ish) but that seems like a REALLY long time just to do Q&A.

I'm also a pretty big non-fan of them denying a delay a few weeks ago because I feel like a delay of 3+ months doesn't catch you off guard internally. If it was a delay to like October or even November I can see maybe people internally were seeing just how bad the bugs were and if they would really, absolutely need to delay it. A delay into next year seems like something everyone in a high position involved with the game would know about for a good while.

Please give me my money back.

The game got delayed, it didn't cease to exist :p

Hahahah

How can their second delay be longer than the first one?

April to September is 5 months

September to January is 3.5 months (though that's ASSUMING its out in January)

Toki767

Now all that's left to really add salt to the wound is for Capcom to announce that the Mega Man Legacy Collection comes out on September 15.

kulapik

I'm confused. I backed this game way back then (Mostly because I did it out of hype. I don't even want the game anymore), and I haven't followed it since then

Can anyone summarize what's triggered all this hostility? I'm legit surprised. I thought everything was going well, and GAF was pretty happy with it

-Game doesn't look as people expected
-Also it looks rather bland
-Inafune is been milking it not even being out, hiaving announced a cartoon and a live action movie
-Launching Red Ash's kickstarter before the game is out
-How terribly Red Ash's Kickstarter was handled
-The previous delay

KHlover

Banned
Did 50% of all backers actually not care enough anymore to fill out the survey for their platform or miss the mail? That's...pretty bad.

Hatchtag

Banned

A lot. Here's just some, roughly in order of appearance:
-Kamiya's comment
-Irrational hatred for some Dina hire that was blown way out of proportion or some shit
-Making the game in 3D and not 2D felt like a trick to some. A lot hate the artstyle
-Level design looks horrendous to some
-Had a second kickstarter for voice acting no one wanted. They wanted a lot of money for voice acting that, frankly, will probably be shitty anyways.
-Random deal for a cartoon
-Delayed the first time
-Level design still looking meh as the release date approaches
-Rumors(?) of not being able to afford promised features despite getting way more than the initial goal
-Starting a second Kickstarter for Red Ash while MN9 looked meh and wasn't even finished yet
-Allowing rumors of a second delay to circulate for a while
-The second delay itself

Of course they officially announce it after their kickstarter ended.

I don't need Mighty No. 9 anyway, I'm weirdly looking forward to the Mega Man Legacy Collection for 3DS.

Damo1234

Neo Member

Well the graphics look different from the concept art.

And they did additional crowdfunding, but not like Shantae did. Shantae kept taking money nonstop with a bunch of stretch goals, and that was fine. With Mighty no. 9 they asked what backers wanted in the game and made new stretch goals for those things, opening one crowdfunding period and a second one, and doing it that way (unlike the Shantae way) makes people very upset. Then they did a delay when they found a publisher willing to put in new content, which will be free to all backers but which will take time to put in. This has all made people very angry and unhappy about MN9.

vareon

Isn't it kinda funny that games like Gunvolt can come and go with a micro-hype cycle, but we have to wait years and years for what is basically a similar Mega Man-alike?

At this rate there will be two Gunvolt games (three with mighty) announced and released before MN9 even came out.

outside the concept controvery....

-They asked for money to hire voice actors (most people assumed VA was included in the KS), campaign failed, only one language was possible due money rised, backers picked English.

-They asked for money to make DLC, campaign failed.

-Very close to the original release date, they delayed to announce a partnership with Deep Silver (they will provide the money for the DLC, Japanese/French VA, subtitles in many languages and physical release).

-And now this.

Crocodile

Really though I just want to play the game, it looks fun :(

Honestly, it seems that its not so much as wires crossed as them wanting the red ash ks to be successful. I have a feeling if their new KS was successful they would've never announced the delay.

What connections are you making in your head that you aren't typing out? If the Red Ash KS succeeded, why would MN9 not get delayed? If the game is actually bug-free and ready to go which is what I think you're suggesting?), what the strategic value in delaying it?

duckroll

Considering they can't even commit to a new release date at this point, I guess we all know why they didn't just "wait for MN9 to come out" before launching that Red Ash kickstarter. Lol. :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
At this rate there will be two Gunvolt games (three with mighty) announced and released before MN9 even came out.

Oh cool. I didn't get the memo they were working on a sequel.

Damo1234

Neo Member
-Rumors(?) of not being able to afford promised features despite getting way more than the initial goal

Those rumors are bogus. Some people just misread the kickstarter page and thought "transformations" had been promised for minor foes, when a more thorough reading of the page makes it clear that minor foes would be giving fairly standard unimpressive power ups. Didn't help matters that a volunteer mod got confused when asked about it and said that if anything had been cut it must've been for budget reasons. But nothing had been cut, people just misread the kickstarter page.

MrBadger

I wonder if they've known about this delay for a while, and that's why they didn't waste any time before starting the Red Ash kickstarter

This whole thing is a joke

hamchan

Considering they can't even commit to a new release date at this point, I guess we all know why they didn't just "wait for MN9 to come out" before launching that Red Ash kickstarter. Lol. :p

I wonder if the Red Ash Kickstarter was so lackluster because they tried to rush it out and get people's money before this delay was announced.

AdanVC

A lot. Here's just some, roughly in order of appearance:
-Kamiya's comment
-Irrational hatred for some Dina hire that was blown way out of proportion or some shit
-Making the game in 3D and not 2D felt like a trick to some. A lot hate the artstyle
-Level design looks horrendous to some
-Had a second kickstarter for voice acting no one wanted. They wanted a lot of money for voice acting that, frankly, will probably be shitty anyways.
-Random deal for a cartoon
-Delayed the first time
-Level design still looking meh as the release date approaches
-Starting a second Kickstarter for Red Ash while MN9 looked meh and wasn't even finished yet
-Allowing rumors of a second delay to circulate for a while
-The second delay itself

Thanks for the summary. WELP. This is just pretty damn unfortunate. The Megaman curse is infecting Mighty No. 9 As well... Hope other VERY promising kickstarters such as Yokaa Laylee or Shenmue 3 doesn't get the same fate...

Quentyn

Unbelievable that they had the gall to lie in everyone faces and deny the delay only a week ago.

What a shitty company.

Started when they launched a second Kickstarter for additional funds for additional features. Lots of people got upset about it for some reason. Got worse when the visuals failed to live up to many people's expectations. Then it got a publisher and a TV deal and people started wondering why/if it needed so much from Kickstarter. It all hit fever pitch when they launched the Kickstarters for Red Ash, the spiritual Mega Man Legends 3, before MN9 was completed, and which had a lot of questionable aspects (like another major TV deal) and overly vague details. Eventually it turned out that the game was always being made with full publisher funding and the Kickstarter was for actually for a shorter prequel. When the Kickstarter failed to take off it was announced that the prequel was also going to be fully funded by a publisher anyway and the KS funds would just be going to stretch goals. It ended up failing pretty spectacularly.

Not all of that is necessarily as bad as people made it out to be and there has been a lot of over-reaction and unfair judgments, but there definitely has still been some objectively questionable stuff, far too much opacity, and generally very poor communication with fans.

AniHawk

3+ months delay JUST for Q&A? I mean its hard for me to straight up call bullshit since I don't know everything that goes into Q&A (and what little I've heard makes it sound like it can be a bit hellhole-ish) but that seems like a REALLY long time just to do Q&A.

i believe it.

first, there are several platforms to do qa for. i don't know what microsoft is like, but sony and nintendo can be fairly strict, especially in europe. so consider that they're submitting 14 roms to about 6 companies and that's a fucking nightmare.

and the problem is, if one fails, everything gets delayed. so you have to make sure that all products are working right with all their quirks. the 3d on the 3ds has to respond in the right settings. the color of the ps4 controller can't be fucking up in weird ways. stuff like that. it's also a busy period when everyone is submitting their stuff for testing, so it makes the time necessary for feedback even harder.

it's possible that a date was desired for october or even early november, just before the holiday season because a cheap game for christmas is potentially a goldmine. but at the same time, they probably couldn't guarantee it out in time. it's possible the game could be ready for december, but that's almost suicide. so instead it gets pushed to q1 where it won't be drowned out so much by noise.

Conan-san

Being Megaman Fan is suffering.

Can't even retreat into the Comics as they're getting ganked thanks to Archie's managerial incompetence which, oddly enough was related to a KS.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The important online features must be the ability to force DLC down our throats after the release of the game

Thanks for the summary. WELP. This is just pretty damn unfortunate. The Megaman curse is infecting Mighty No. 9 As well... Hope other VERY promising kickstarters such as Yokaa Laylee or Shenmue 3 doesn't get the same fate...

Yooka Laylee will be fine. They had significant content ready to show before the kickstarter even began, and they didn't promise absurd extra goals solely for more money.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm surprised I haven't seen someone pull up that Miyamoto quote yet.

It would apply here, except:

As we have communicated in the updates to our backers, all of the core content for the game is developed and in a complete state.

Doesn't look like this will be improving the level design and artwork, which still look really, really boring.

Skrams

I have to say this is beautiful timing to release this news.

Not only does this happen when the majority of America is asleep, but also during the EA conference. If this was during a more important conference it would of been even sweeter.

Toki767

Not only does this happen when the majority of America is asleep, but also during the EA conference. If this was during a more important conference it would of been even sweeter.

They put it out on their forums in the middle of the night. I wonder if they hoped that would downplay any potential outrage. I don't imagine they didn't know the news would get out ASAP.

Crocodile

i believe it.

first, there are several platforms to do qa for. i don't know what microsoft is like, but sony and nintendo can be fairly strict, especially in europe. so consider that they're submitting 14 roms to about 6 companies and that's a fucking nightmare.

and the problem is, if one fails, everything gets delayed. so you have to make sure that all products are working right with all their quirks. the 3d on the 3ds has to respond in the right settings. the color of the ps4 controller can't be fucking up in weird ways. stuff like that. it's also a busy period when everyone is submitting their stuff for testing, so it makes the time necessary for feedback even harder.

it's possible that a date was desired for october or even early november, just before the holiday season because a cheap game for christmas is potentially a goldmine. but at the same time, they probably couldn't guarantee it out in time. it's possible the game could be ready for december, but that's almost suicide. so instead it gets pushed to q1 where it won't be drowned out so much by noise.

True, this game is coming out on like every platform so that probably makes things even tougher than normal. There's no way they just started Q&A though so this represents 3+ additional months not 3+ total months. I wonder if there was no option to perhaps delay the handheld versions of the game to focus attention on the other versions to maybe still make the holiday season?

Gamescom is a German event so if the intention was to announce it there, of course its going to be announced at a time inconvenient for America. I'm not sure why ti matters anyway since A) this news will be all over the internet over the course of the day and anybody who goes online for game news WILL learn about this and B) it is only important that people learn about this before September 15th as opposed to even the end of this week not to say the end of today. There's plenty of buffer time - nobody who needs to hear about this will somehow never hear about it before it would be important for them to hear about it. It's literally impossible for them to hide from criticism.

I was going to donate to the kickstarter originally then I saw the truckloads of money it was bringing in and figured "meh, they don't need my pledge." I assumed I would pick up a copy when it actually released. Now it looks like me being a tightwad was a blessing in disguise. I'm able to not care about the game turning into a clusterfuck instead of being in an uproar.

LeonSPBR

So they denied that the game would be delayed, just so they can announce the delay at Gamescon??? What kind of decision is that??

Skrams

Gamescom is a German event so if the intention was to announce it there, of course its going to be announced at a time inconvenient for America. I'm not sure why ti matters anyway since A) this news will be all over the internet over the course of the day and anybody who goes online for game news WILL learn about this and B) it is only important that people learn about this before September 15th as opposed to even the end of this week not to say the end of today. There's plenty of buffer time - nobody who needs to hear about this will somehow never hear about it before it would be important for them to hear about it. It's literally impossible for them to hide from criticism.

I don't think anyone who is a backer or is moderately paying attention to game news would not hear of this news within the coming day or week. I just think the combination of releasing the information to the backers forum only plus during a conference which also makes it in the middle of the night for America just means the impact of the news is going to be diminished a bit. There's no hiding from the criticism, but they're doing an okay job at trying if they are even trying.

Toki767

So they denied that the game would be delayed, just so they can announce the delay at Gamescon??? What kind of decision is that??

It's more like they denied the game would be delayed because they didn't want it to soil the Red Ash kickstarter even more.

It being Gamescom is just a coincidence because you never usually see a company's announcement for an event being "we're delaying this".

I still dont get it, isnt the game available as a beta on steam and running really good? Why delay it for half a year...something is off here...

I really wanted to buy this on Vita but not finishong this and starting red ash when they are a crowd funded studio. Made me feel not so good.

I'll wait until it has a few price drops

Top Bottom