• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No 9 releasing February 9th, 2016

Every time I read about Might No. 9's mismanagement and deserved backlash it's getting (I'm a $60 backer myself) all I think about now is "Please, Igarashi, don't fuck Bloodstained up!"

Keep in mind MN9 and Bloodstained both share the same agent behind the creator (Ben Judd) and developer working in the game (Inti Creates). So I'm a little worried but cautiously optimistic. I backed Iga's game even harder ($100)!

Oh Inafune, your dashing conceits lie bare!
Oh Inafune, these parades they do die upon the stage
Inafune!
A pale imitation for millions in cash
Send in the clowns, they'll pay for the gas
And you sit there, secure in your victory
Obfuscating these trollops on down the line
Inafune!
Mighty?
Nay, unreal be
And the shallow divots to parse thy pockets to thee.

I did not. Back to my shame box :(
off with your head!
Every time I read about Might No. 9's mismanagement and deserved backlash it's getting (I'm a $60 backer myself) all I think about now is "Please, Igarashi, don't fuck Bloodstained up!"

Keep in mind MN9 and Bloodstained both share the same agent behind the creator (Ben Judd) and developer working in the game (Inti Creates). So I'm a little worried but cautiously optimistic. I backed Iga's game even harder ($100)!
wait...what

no :(

Cmagus

Just finished playing through the demo and although the game looks really rough I actually like the gameplay. The dash mechanic is pretty good, I hope the other levels are a bit more complex and they make use of it more.

Played the demo. The level design is bland with cheap instant death hazards. Bosses are too easy. Music is ok (I guess, don't care about it that much). English voice is horrible. Visual is ok if you think this is a port of a PS1 game.

The only saving grace is Roll Call's Japanese voice. That's it.

Keep in mind MN9 and Bloodstained both share the same agent behind the creator (Ben Judd) and developer working in the game (Inti Creates). So I'm a little worried but cautiously optimistic.
The whole reason I even care about Mighty No. 9 is because Inti Creates, the developers of MMZero and ZX, where behind this game and not because of Inafune. It saddens me that they are having so much problems with this game and hope that it doesn't happen to Bloodstained which I also care about even though I'm not a fan of Castlevenia.

Just played thru the demo and I am pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy it. The graphics are fine, it controls well and the dash mechanic is interesting. I just finished blazing thru MM1-6 in the Legacy Collection and the difficulty with MN9 seems to be league with those games.

epmode

So does this demo not work for Windows 10 users? I tried the exe. and it says im missing files....

Works for me. Which exe?

So long as you're running the right file, my guess is that you're missing some prerequisite files. Look in the Redist folder and run UE3Redist.exe before retrying the game.

bumpkin

For now. Just announced at Twitchcon.

Also, demo is up on Humble.
And just like the beta, only on Windows. A nice middle finger to Mac and console owning backers.

To add insult to injury, I just tried running it in my Windows 7 VM and when I dialed the quality settings down to what my Mac could handle, the demo crashed and I can't relaunch it.

Still waiting for Capcom to pull the biggest fucking troll ever and announce a brand new honest-to-God Mega Man game.

Launching globally Feb 1.

Walpurgis

Banned
n5NHr7r.png

Watch it be delayed 2 weeks after release
FTFY
Still waiting for Capcom to pull the biggest fucking troll ever and announce a brand new honest-to-God Mega Man game.

Launching globally Feb 1.

LMAO!!!!

thefro

Played through the intro stage and part of level 1.

Good:
- Core gameplay is fun, dashing and shooting stuff, weakening enemies and getting a boost from dashing into them. Beck feels good to control and the game feels like it's own thing and not a Megaman ripoff.
-Music is good. Not amazing but it does the job.

Mixed:
- Voice acting quality is all over the place, some of the characters' voices are totally awful, others are okay and some others I sorta like.
- Level design has a couple neat set-piece moments but seems like a lot of corridors. There's some platforming but being able to dash multiple times in the air kind of trivializes some of them. I probably ought to finish a full stage or two to judge that, but I didn't get the impression that the level design was anything special or even clearly good. Seems kinda there.

Bad:
- Story elements interrupting the gameplay. There's one point in the intro stage where you stop in front of a TV and it goes into a cutscene where nothing happens except for a guy talking in front of a podium.. You could have easily had a series of TVs in the background with the video playing while you go through the stage.
- I think the cutscenes are supposedly going to be polished up by the time this thing releases but it's literally just characters standing posed in place while the audio acting plays right now.
- Graphic style feels really cheap. Some places in a level where I'm not sure if it's a bottomless pit or a platform I can stand on.

Shogun1337

Just played thru the demo and I am pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy it. The graphics are fine, it controls well and the dash mechanic is interesting. I just finished blazing thru MM1-6 in the Legacy Collection and the difficulty with MN9 seems to be league with those games.

Shhh, no logic or positivity here, only gamer bandwagoning.

This is probably just my disdain for Inafune, but I really don't want to think Inti Creates is the problem since I've actually enjoyed stuff they've made.

Hopefully Bloodstained turns out way better.

So much hate and vitriol... And here I am just enjoying the demo and, while disappointed it got delayed, still looking forward to the full game.

In an industry where delays are the norm, it seems odd that this project is getting so much hate.

celebi23

Unbelievable that there isn't a Mac/Linux demo as well. How much do you all wanna bet that those 2 versions of the game have been silently canceled? One would think that you'd want feedback on as many platforms as possible, right?

Tsunamo

Okay what am I missing here, this is all I see on the Mighty No 9 Humble Bundle link associated to my account.
Same thing here. Google translate (you'd think they'd at least put the message in English) basically just tells me it's my backers tier and what I get with it, so I have no idea how to get the trial.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Played the demo. The level design is bland with cheap instant death hazards. Bosses are too easy. Music is ok (I guess, don't care about it that much). English voice is horrible. Visual is ok if you think this is a port of a PS1 game.

The only saving grace is Roll Call's Japanese voice. That's it.

Mao <3

Dr. Buni

I am actually more inclined to believe this post rather than all the bitching and snarky hate this game have been getting (mostly by people who haven't even played it yet

I dunno, I still think this game will be fairly good.

Teknoman

You know, now that I've finally been able to play some form of the game:

I really like all the mobility options Beck has. The back dashshot, his normal acXelerate dashes, and the fact that even absorbing normal enemies gives buffs (speed up, piercing shot, etc). His voice isn't annoying as English non- Powered Up / Japanese Megaman either :p

The graphics actually look decent aside from some of the fire effects, the models don't really have animated mouths or facial expressions. The VA for every seems pretty good though (English). Soundtrack is decent, and I can see myself actually enjoying this. It does feel like if a new Mega Man series was created and they tried to design it around a more mobile Mega Man. If he had a charge shot, well...things would move crazy fast. Then again, maybe he does. Also you can avoid most hazards mid-air if you use your evasive actions (back jump, back dash shot, direction dashes) correctly. Its not perfect, but with some more focus here and there, I think it'll be great. Really didn't need all the extra "Lets make a TV show" to go along with it though. Still glad I backed after having touched the game.

EDIT: Really does not look like a PS1 game. Decent PS3/Wii U indie title level graphics at 60fps if anything.

KarmaCow

Same thing here. Google translate (you'd think they'd at least put the message in English) basically just tells me it's my backers tier and what I get with it, so I have no idea how to get the trial.

Well at least I'm not the only one.

Really giving a great impression of the game.

Damo1234

Neo Member
I still don't understand how a bug in the online bonus mode is the main cause of a FIVE month delay. Especially when they've said the single player campaign has been complete for a while now. This shit don't add up, man.

A fix like this has to be approved for each of the platforms the game has to be on, it has to be on a ton of platforms, and at this time of year there's likely to be one hell of a waiting list to get the game tested and approved since everyone wants their game out for Christmas. It's not just the fix itself that's pushing the release date back. If this was just a steam game like they'd originally aimed for this would be much easier.

Teknoman

I just hope they also use that time to look at other graphical effects that could be improved, because they've got a really good base here.

Beaulieu

A fix like this has to be approved for each of the platforms the game has to be on, it has to be on a ton of platforms, and at this time of year there's likely to be one hell of a waiting list to get the game tested and approved since everyone wants their game out for Christmas. It's not just the fix itself that's pushing the release date back. If this was just a steam game like they'd originally aimed for this would be much easier.

.... lol
no cert process takes 5 months my man, sorry to blow your bubble.

Damo1234

Neo Member
.... lol
no cert process takes 5 months my man, sorry to blow your bubble.

Some time for figuring out the fix, some time for the cert process (keeping in mind a holiday rush), some time for manufacturing, and a bit of time for a "they'll kill us if we delay again, so we'd better give ourselves a little extra time in case someone spots any other problems" buffer. Factor in that oversight is spread out across three companies (Inti, Comcept, and Deep Silver). Four-and-a-half months is pushing it, but not egregious enough to warrant "this can't possibly be the full story!" theories. The delay is galling, but not implausible.

BiggNife

My understanding is that Inti mainly just did programming and Comcept did all of the design work, much like how Dimps worked with Capcom for SF4. So I honestly wouldn't be worried.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Considering the trouble they've had releasing the PC-only demo on time, I can't really buy this excuse. It's more likely they're simply in over their heads in a major way.

Game development will forever be a bitch for any company, that's a given. But it's safe to admit the obvious mishandling of this particular project now.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm glad they took the time to make it perfect. Unlike most people it would seem, I think the footage we've seen so far looks promising. I'm looking forward to playing this.

Cmagus

I just hope they also use that time to look at other graphical effects that could be improved, because they've got a really good base here.

I've played the demo a few times and the visuals are just so rough it really hurts the game. Everything looks like placeholders and the cutscenes are lifeless. I really like the game play I think it's actually pretty good and the music is phenomenal but man those visuals.

It literally feels like the game isn't done and their just gonna push it out that what the visuals come across to me and coming from this team they are certainly capable of more.The game has a really nice design and like you said a solid foundation they need to really build off of.

This could be the biggest steaming pile of shit ever and still be better than y'all deserve. Gamers today are the worst most obnoxious group on the internet.

They might not actually be that but they're pretty fucking terrible.

In most cases I would completely agree with you and echo this sentiment, but this project really has been handled with a severe lack of professionalism. Modern gamers are a horribly obnoxious, ungrateful bunch to be sure, but the sarcasm and dismissive attitudes in this thread are justified in MN9's case.

Teknoman

I've played the demo a few times and the visuals are just so rough it really hurts the game. Everything looks like placeholders and the cutscenes are lifeless. I really like the game play I think it's actually pretty good and the music is phenomenal but man those visuals.

It literally feels like the game isn't done and their just gonna push it out that what the visuals come across to me and coming from this team they are certainly capable of more.The game has a really nice design and like you said a solid foundation they need to really build off of.

Yeah that's what will be the worst part if they just release without at least taking a second look at the graphics. What really stood out to me was the fire in the freeway level.

EDIT: I think they'd be more justified towards how the Dreamcast version of Pier Solar has been handled. There really hasn't been anything that bad from Mighty Number 9 that I can think off of the bat. Aside from trying to go bananas with media related things (toy figures, movie, cartoon, etc).

Damo1234

Neo Member
Considering the trouble they've had releasing the PC-only demo on time, I can't really buy this excuse. It's more likely they're simply in over their heads in a major way.

The demo was delayed about a week as they switched from delivering via Steam to delivering via Humble Bundle. I'm not sure why they did that (if I had to guess, it might be due to the way some people were apparently getting access that they weren't meant to over Steam), but a week's delay as they switch the delivery route doesn't strike me as proof they're "in over their heads in a major way".

I'll certainly agree that the company promised more than they could hope to provide smoothly and without stumbles, particularly given that they gave a concrete release date (as opposed to WayForward's more sensible "Shantae will happen when it happens, don't rush us" promise). Where I disagree is the implication that there has to be more to the delay than what they've told us. They found a major bug in the online mode, requiring a fix and certification from multiple platforms at a time of year where there's bound to be a waiting list, and while they want to provide a new release date as soon as possible they also want to push it as far back as they dare in case someone uncovers another nasty surprise. Four and a half months is on the upper limit of what's reasonable for all that, but still within the realm of plausibility, particularly given that this project is spread out between three different companies.

Going by the demo, the game seems to be fairly decent for a crowdfunded title, if graphically unimpressive for 2015, and it's planned to be on damn near every platform except the ouya. Unless the rest of the game is a big drop in quality, it looks more or less like they delivered what they promised, albeit with obnoxious delays and some serious PR gaffes. People seem to want to declare that this is already a massive failure and declare Comcept incompetent, when it looks more like a simple reminder that crowdfunded games from small companies run into hiccups and delays.

Top Bottom