• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 review thread

WmbvuUo.jpg

Found this on Twitter:

ClY8B1SWkAAsAbT.jpg:large

This.

I thought of it yesterday. I don't want my name or username there anymore...

No. Thank you for bringing this glorious trainwreck to life. (Sorry about the money, though.)

Fred-87

I wonder how the game will be reviewed if this game wasnt a kickstarter and wasnt made by Inafune. I wonder because i didnt followed the whole drama around the game so much. Reviewers are just humans and no matter how hard they try such drama will influence their review score. And i have no nostalgia for megaman games because i only played them recently, so no childhood memories. To me this looks like a fun fast gameplay game. But thats just from looking at the gameplay so mb im wrong.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Context is immensely important in this conversation.

If I saw $4 million deposited into my bank account tomorrow as a middle-class worker, you can sure as hell bet I will think that's a fuck-ton of money. But again, context.

Anyone with a vague understanding of how laborious and involved game development is on this level would have been worried with this sub-4 million budget attached for the project of this scale.

Did they bite off more than they can chew? Absolutely. Did they horribly budget and plan for all of these platforms and features? Without a doubt.

But with a team and producer of this pedigree, a full team development cycle of 2-3 years, about 8+ platforms to develop/port/program/test for, online features and gameplay across all of them to test and support, the fulfillment of the of all the various Kickstarter tier rewards, as well as the 10% of kickstarter profit it paid as a fee, $4 million suddenly begins evaporating like a puddle on the sidewalk during hot and sunny day.

What is a "fuck-ton" of money to us, is barely going to squeeze a title of such ambition out the door without notable compromise.

Hey wouldn't it be nice if he had a place to relay that stuff to us his backers?
Instead we're met with radio silence and sketchy timings around stuff happening(Red Ash). So srsly since he can't even bother to have the minimum decency of valuing honest communication with his backers why should we care about his problems.

All we're left to see is things like Shovel Knight succeeding above and beyond for less money and probably with less manpower(And I wouldn't wish it on anyone to live through what they had to endure, those guys went above and beyond, 5 months without pay if I remember correctly). And making 4 million dollar jokes.

Again I'm less mad about the way this turned out, game development is hard, shit happens. I'm more mad about how he chose to conduct himself towards us the backers.

So much stuff he could have done to earn goodwill back, financial breakdown of the costs, being clear about when he moved on from the project, improving communication and never letting anything like Red Ash happen again, no instead it happens again delay announcement through other sources and on kickstarter last.
He deserves all the flak he gets.

Cool, but Inafune's initial ask was below $1m so he clearly thought he could have done this way less than $4m - if he needed more he should have asked for more.
That makes no sense. The proposed game at the initial target is only a fraction of what it became after the stretch goals. The game ballooned in scope with every stretch goal it hit. The initial KS target game is not the same game as the one promised at $4mil.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

If I saw $4 million deposited into my bank account tomorrow as a middle-class worker, you can sure as hell bet I will think that's a fuck-ton of money. But again, context.

Anyone with a vague understanding of how laborious and involved game development is on this level would have been worried with this sub-4 million budget attached for the project of this scale.

Did they bite off more than they can chew? Absolutely. Did they horribly budget and plan for all of these platforms and features? Without a doubt.

But with a team and producer of this pedigree, a full team development cycle of 2-3 years, about 8+ platforms to develop/port/program/test for, online features and gameplay across all of them to test and support, the fulfillment of the of all the various Kickstarter tier rewards, as well as the 10% of kickstarter profit it paid as a fee, $4 million suddenly begins evaporating like a puddle on the sidewalk during hot and sunny day.

What is a "fuck-ton" of money to us, is barely going to squeeze a title of such ambition out the door without notable compromise.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is how a seasoned veteran and business man could have made all these terrible management decisions, almost from day zero. Compared to other Kickstarters this one has been plagued by certain troubles which, even as a backer with no experience developing a game, always seemed to have been a result of poor planning and a general lack of focus.

Perhaps the real story is very different, but it's just strange how this was the impression I got throughout the last 3 years, with the dozens of unnecessary updates spamming my inbox trying to build hype and a community instead just working on the damn game.

Why do "a team and producer of this pedigree" end up making what appear to be so many rookie mistakes?

DNAbro

I disagree, it seems an adequate budget for the scope of the game even including its various platforms, I think the 'where did the money go' posts are also stupid because 4 million doesn't stretch as far as anyone thinks in game dev.

They took longer than they anticipated, they made a worse game than they anticipated, thus they spent 4 million dollars and ended up with a mediocre game. It's not a complicated, or even unusual story in the game dev world.

The two ideas, that it's some tiny sum for what they were trying to accomplish, or that they didn't spend it all on the game because 4 million is a huge sum, are both silly.

This is where things get really silly though, people making comments like this are just frustrating. They obviously didn't build the game that they were going to build if they had only gotten 800k, they built their game according to how much money was actually backed, and then they went over time and presumably over budget just as almost all kickstarter games that are overfunded tend to do because they were adjusting a lot of things to an extremely variable amount of funding.

Zero envy for people who end up scaling their games because they got like 4.5x as much funding as they thought they needed, a real damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Stretch goal bloat is one of the worst things about Kickstarter. "Oh I got more money so I need to add features/platforms flippantly"

Such a shame this turned out to be so average. I'll still give it a go but the bad trailers and these reviews have lowered my hype to a very unmighty no. 0.

MrBadger

That makes no sense. The proposed game at the initial target is only a fraction of what it became after the stretch goals. The game ballooned in scope with every stretch goal it hit. The initial KS target game is not the same game as the one promised at $4mil.

These are not excuses and only make this project come off as worse.

And that brings the question which bothers me to this day, even with Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee... When do developers have to say: "Look, we as a team can only do so much. We won't be able to add a gazillion versions, DLCs and mine cart levels just because you keep giving us money"?

nynt9

That's still on him. He proposed the stretch goals.

I also helped make this game a reality, may the gaming gods have mercy on my soul. I was really hoping it would turn out good despite my misgivings.

MrBadger

And that brings the question which bothers me to this day, even with Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee... When do developers have to say: "Look, we as a team can only do so much. We won't be able to add a gazillion versions, DLCs and mine cart levels just because you keep giving us money"?

This is actually why I chose to back Yooka Laylee. Once they passed the money they needed for their plan, their new stretch goals were more trivial things like orchestral music, and when they kept getting more money, they eventually said they'd make DLC levels after their initial plan was complete and shipped. Seems like as a team, they knew when to say enough was enough.

This is actually why I chose to back Yooka Laylee. Once they passed the money they needed for their plan, their new stretch goals were more trivial things like orchestral music, and when they kept getting more money, they eventually said they'd make DLC levels after their initial plan was complete and shipped. Seems like as a team, they knew when to say enough was enough.

Yeah, Yooka-Laylee's additional goals were minor in comparison. I do remember being worried initially, though.

Then he should have kept it simple to what he originally intended. He promised a simple Mega Man like game. That's all anyone wanted at the time. If he had put all of his focus into doing that instead of worrying about turning it into a franchise and adding voice acting and online play we would have probably had a better game.

DNAbro

As an example, Undertale's Kickstarter received 10x what Toby Fox was asking for. He refused to increase the scope of the game and instead put the money for more backer stuff. (Which he still hasn't actually delivered on in full but that isn't my point)

I respect that way more than trying to do everything and adding BS features cause you got more money. Just deliver on your original idea.

If I ever do a KS for our game my Stretch Goals will be stuff like me live streaming speedruns of me making my famous Bruschetta while on rollerskates using one hand or stuff like that. I'll do some small game stuff but most any extra change would go towards the base game.

Realistic expectations properly conveyed to backers is important.

I'm giving my copy to my 12 year old brother.

Don't do that to your brother

As an example, Undertale's Kickstarter received 10x what Toby Fox was asking for. He refused to increase the scope of the game and instead put the money for more backer stuff. (Which he still hasn't actually delivered on in full but that isn't my point)

I respect that way more than trying to do everything and adding BS features cause you got more money. Just deliver on your original idea.

I didn't follow that one, but it's really nice! Glad there are Kickstarter devs which can realise what they can and cannot do and how one should avoid bloating their original vision.

Alienous

Mighty No. 9 |OT| Kamiya was right

Mighty No. 9 |OT| Megaman's second death

Mighty No. 9 |OT| This one is for the fans

Mighty No. 9 |OT| From the creator of Mighty No. 9

Mighty No. 9 |OT| Blue Ash

Jobbs

Banned
I wonder how the game will be reviewed if this game wasnt a kickstarter and wasnt made by Inafune. I wonder because i didnt followed the whole drama around the game so much. Reviewers are just humans and no matter how hard they try such drama will influence their review score. And i have no nostalgia for megaman games because i only played them recently, so no childhood memories. To me this looks like a fun fast gameplay game. But thats just from looking at the gameplay so mb im wrong.

I can objectively tell you the game looks horrible. I wanted to like it but I've been complaining about badly it's been turning out for a very long time. I *wanted* to like it.

I have some perspective on the matter and I can tell you there's no rational reason for the game to look as bland and terrible as it does. My only explanation is the person directing the game does not care and the people making it do not care.

The game lacks artistry, something that games with a tiny fraction of the budget can have.

It just hit me. Reviewers have received codes for the game before backers.

Now, I have lost all faith in humanity *cries in the corner* .... fuck prom nights!

Jobbs

Banned
Inafune cashed in his name/legacy for this. I have to wonder why.

It's self evident that no one making the game cared very deeply for it. It shows. I've never seen a more passionless presentation.

Disappointing reviews. I hope the anime and feature films are still good! I wonder if this game will sell well or if Mighty No. 10 will have to be Kickstarted?

JPS Kai

It just hit me. Reviewers have received codes for the game before backers.

Now, I have lost all faith in humanity *cries in the corner* .... fuck prom nights!

You haven't truly lived until you've had to watch YouTube unboxers get review code before journalists.
Lego Dimensions

beril

Yes a big team will eat up a lot of money over 2-3 years. The question is why such a big team and so much time was needed for this game, with seemingly (I haven't played it yet) such underwhelming results. Clearly their priorities were off.

Does every backer tier get their names in the credits? If so this would be the first time my name was used to endorse a mediocre product. lol

Top Bottom