• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 review thread

MrBadger

Didn't they stop making Mega Man games because people stopped buying them, though? Seems like you should take a good look in the mirror, bucko.

Which is unsurprising because every Mega Man sub-series got like a million billion sequels

We seemed to go from loads of Mega Mans to none overnight when Inafune left

Bedlam

Luckily I only pledged the minimum amount (what was it, like $15?). Still too much and it feels a bit bad but how must those people feel that put up several hundreds of dollars for this game? Never let your nostalgia cloud your judgement, people!

TheOGB

Banned
The scores aren't like super terrible

but man

I sure am glad I put all my eggs into Shantae's basket instead of this

4 million stretched across 8 platforms over 3 years is almost nothing. Why are people quoting this number as if it was supposed to look like the second coming?

Danji

Luckily, Bloodstained will have a demo out in the next few days (for $60 backers.) The game looks way better in every way than MN9 just from the videos I've seen from the E3 showfloor. Shows what a good producer who isn't siphoning money to fund animated bullshit can do with proper funding and support.

duckroll

Didn't they stop making Mega Man games because people stopped buying them, though? Seems like you should take a good look in the mirror, bucko.

No they didn't. They stopped making new Mega Man games because there wasn't a producer in Capcom interested in making more of them. That's all.

Megaman ZX - 2006
Megaman Star Force - 2006
Megaman ZX Advent - 2007
Megaman Star Force 2 - 2007
Megaman 9 - 2008
Megaman Star Force 3 - 2008
Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star - 2009
Megaman 10 - 2010

Guess when Inafune quit Capcom? 2010. :p

The narrative that poor Inafune couldn't make Megaman games anymore because Capcom didn't want to let him make them is not an accurate narrative at all.

MicH

I just don't understand how they can make that great looking demo in 7 days... But this was all they could muster after three years of development?

Crocodile

Luckily, Bloodstained will have a demo out in the next few days (for $60 backers.) The game looks way better in every way than MN9 just from the videos I've seen from the E3 showfloor. Shows what a good producer who isn't siphoning money to fund animated bullshit can do with proper funding and support.

Except there is no evidence that any of the Kickstarter money went into production of an animated series (if that is even still happening). See this is the thing that annoys me - there are many legit reasons to be disappointed or annoyed about how things turned out. No need to add hyperbole or conspiracy theories (this is more a blast to the general public as opposed to just you). It's as duckroll said, Inafune didn't scam anybody, he just made a product that looks to underdeliver. There is a difference there.

Dremark

Banned
I wonder what was the highest $$$ that anyone thrown for this shit.

You gave keiji your money...and in the end he spat in your face...smh

I think the highest tier was dinner with Inafune. If anyone went that high I can only imagine how that would go after seeing how bad the game seems to have turned out.

beril

4 million stretched across 8 platforms over 3 years is almost nothing. Why are people quoting this number as if it was supposed to look like the second coming?

Well I made a 2.5D megaman clone with higher review scores for 4 platforms with less than 1% of that money :p

styl3s

So glad I didn't back this. And thess score's don't really seem surprising (to anyone I would think).

Thankfully, all the games I've backed seem to be doing fine.
A lot of people thought it was going to be a good game until it was delayed 73 times and somehow continued to look worse every time it was shown.

I said it another thread this game sucking isn't what even bums me out the most it's the fact it's made me highly cynical and bitter towards kickstarters and pushed me to a point where i will never, ever back another game no matter how good it looks.

ArjanN

It's sad because it really undermines the perspective of actual talent and effort. Money is not everything. People who throw numbers around not knowing how much it takes to make a game seem to think that budget equates quality. It's so stupid. The simplest answer is not that Inafune "scammed" anyone by stealing the money, it's just that he took the money, put it into developing a game, and well, they just did a bad job of it. It happens. Good games aren't easy to make!

The problem with this perspective is that it's far too reasonable and sensible for the internet. :p

Even on GAF where people should know better.you still see a lof of kneejerk posts like that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Who is "they" though? Inafune is not some indie developer with passionate ideas and a small team of people willing to work for less over a longer period of time just to deliver some vision. He's a seasoned veteran game producer in the industry whose job is to connect businesses together give business opportunities to his connections by pitching projects to those willing to fund it. Sometimes those are publishers. Sometimes they're Kickstarter contributors. When things turn out well, everyone is happy and there's a good game. When things don't turn out well, that's too bad.

For anyone disappointed, your mistake was believing that Inafune had your best interests at heart. Lol.
I mean...this was about the Ori comparison. Moon Studios is not some garage operation like you're implying.
And "they" is mostly Inafune if he actually pulls all the strings like the campagne and you are suggesting.

Also, and maybe I'm missing something here, what makes MN9 not indie? Comcept and Inti Creates are independent and they got their funding through crowdsourcing. Can't get much more indie than that.

One of the biggest disasters Kickstarter has ever seen short of flat out theft.
Really? A game that barely raised $4 million and is getting average reviews is the one of the biggest disasters in Kickstarter history? In a world where the Ouya exists? Or the Coolest Cooler? Or the Laser Razor?

Lol.

Paz

It's not an enormous budget but it's not 'almost nothing' by any stretch of the imagination, even across 8 platforms.

Honestly though making video games is fucking hard and I don't think there's any conspiracy or ill intentions here, they just failed to make a compelling game and it doubly hurts because their eyes were so much bigger than their stomachs when it came to projecting their intentions during the Kickstarter.

It's sad more than it is aggravating, but then I'm not out several hundred dollars so I don't speak for big time backers.

Arnie7

Banned
I kept all of my Kickstarter emails. The update where they announced the Unreal demonstration (seven days work), shown in the below .gif:

D48ZJXE.gif

Link to the video on Youtube

they said...well...I'll show you rather than tell you.

Kickstarter Update (Scroll down a bit until you reach the "Graphics Engine!" section)

And I quote:

"Whattaya think? Someday we will look back on this and laugh at how primitive it looks, but for now, for only one week of test work, it's pretty darn cool, don't ya think? :D"

I'm looking back on this, but I'm definitely not laughing. Well, I am, but not for the reason they intended...

This looked so much better.

beril

Name please.
Savage.

What is it though?

Gunman Clive. Obviously our situations are very different and the games are probably judged a bit differently for a number of reasons, but at least my metascores is in the 80s.

Were you working full time on gamedev during the development of the original game, or was it a evenings & weekends jobbie?

I was doing it full time, but living extremely cheap, so obviously it doesn't compare to proper salaries.

I just don't understand how they can make that great looking demo in 7 days... But this was all they could muster after three years of development?
Vita, 3DS, WiiU, PS3, 360, PS4, XB1, PC, Mac, Linux.

Developing on 8+ platforms on only $4mil will do that to you.

Gunman Clive. Obviously our situations are very different and the games are probably judged a bit differently for a number of reasons, but at least my metascores is in the 80s.

I've played plenty of MM clones, and I loved the first Gun Man Clive. I really should get round to playing the sequel!

Well I made a 2.5D megaman clone with higher review scores for 4 platforms with less than 1% of that money :p
I mean, that's awesome that you managed that. And great that your game was well recieved. But you say less than a percent of $4million, which would peg you below $40k? You realize this is barely a living wage for most people depending where they live? A passion project for indie devs living far below their means is going to have wildly different budget than a dev team with veterans renting studio space and equipment for a few years. And this is no way talking down to your game, but does the scale even compare?

I know you didn't intend your post to be taken seriously, but it's things like these that cloud the general public's ideas of how a game budget does or doesn't directly correlate to quality.

MaLDo

I mean, that's awesome that you managed that. And great that your game was well recieved. But you say less than a percent of $4million, which would peg you below $40k? You realize this is barely a living wage for most people depending where they live? A passion project for indie devs living far below their means is going to have wildly different budget than a dev team with veterans renting studio space and equipment for a few years. And this is no way talking down to your game, but does the scale even compare?

I know you didn't intend your post to be taken seriously, but it's things like these that cloud the general public's ideas of how a game budget does or doesn't directly correlate to quality.

but 4 million really is a tiny budget for the scope of this project wether it came out good or not.

Bullshit.

$4 million is more than what they asked for.

Paz

but 4 million really is a tiny budget for the scope of this project wether it came out good or not.

I disagree, it seems an adequate budget for the scope of the game even including its various platforms, I think the 'where did the money go' posts are also stupid because 4 million doesn't stretch as far as anyone thinks in game dev.

They took longer than they anticipated, they made a worse game than they anticipated, thus they spent 4 million dollars and ended up with a mediocre game. It's not a complicated, or even unusual story in the game dev world.

The two ideas, that it's some tiny sum for what they were trying to accomplish, or that they didn't spend it all on the game because 4 million is a huge sum, are both silly.

Bullshit.

$4 million is more than what they asked for.

This is where things get really silly though, people making comments like this are just frustrating. They obviously didn't build the game that they were going to build if they had only gotten 800k, they built their game according to how much money was actually backed, and then they went over time and presumably over budget just as almost all kickstarter games that are overfunded tend to do because they were adjusting a lot of things to an extremely variable amount of funding.

Zero envy for people who end up scaling their games because they got like 4.5x as much funding as they thought they needed, a real damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Top Bottom