• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 review thread

Toxi

Banned
I'm surprised at how so much of the criticism is over how hard the game is. The game looked many things in preview footage, but I never would have guessed aggravatingly difficult.

I think its a little early to call it a fuck up, the game is most likely held back visually from being on every platform out there but the gameplay has yet to be judged. Sure we have these reviews but this feels like the kind of game that only a select community can really appreciate. If by next week there aren't more than a couple of fans on GAF it will be fair to call it a fuck up.

this is the final boss fight plus ending. It is definitely something...
https://youtu.be/xdCIrHWzXoE

Zomba13

I actually kept all of my Kickstarter emails. The update where they announce the Unreal demonstration (seven days work), shown in the below .gif:

D48ZJXE.gif

Link to the video on Youtube

well...I'll show you rather than tell you.

And I quote:

"Whattaya think? Someday we will look back on this and laugh at how primitive it looks, but for now, for only one week of test work, it's pretty darn cool, don't ya think? :D"

I'm looking back on this, but I'm definitely not laughing. Well, I might be, but not for the reason they might have thought...

Well, I'm looking back and laughing at it but it's because of how much better it looks.

glad i didn't fall for the mindless hype. the KS hype was disgusting back then with lots of fanboyism.

hopefully bloodstained is the real deal. that's where my bet was placed.

I believe we will have an opposite deal with bloodstained. What do I know though as I actually thought Mighty No. 9 could not be as bad as it is at release.

Kensuke

I think the most interesting element in the reviews are the opinions on the difficulty. Some reviews are calling the game very hard, particularly the bosses. Sterling says the challenge is nearly insurmountable and Eurogamer even goes as far as calling it one of the hardest games ever made. Look at this bit:
The result is one of the toughest video games yet made (even on the deceitfully titled 'normal' mode; 'Hard', 'Hyper' and 'Maniac' await the prodigies) and, as your performance on each stage is ranked, arguably the hardest S-rank in video games.

Meanwhile IGN says this:
This held doubly true for boss battles; yes, in true Mega Man style you'll find there's one weapon that works particularly well against any given boss, but if I didn't have it, I never had any difficulty plowing through with ye olde standard blaster.

Gamespot:
Mighty No. 9's bosses can all be defeated using your default weapon with reasonable effort, and thus you rarely feel compelled to explore your weapon upgrades out of necessity

Reading through other reviews I've noticed similar discrepancies on the subject of the difficulty. It makes you wonder how big a role the (lack) of experience with this type of game played a role. Even then the scores they dished out were similar, but it seems they might have disliked the game for different reasons.

killatopak

Gold Member
I don't think people know how little money 4 million dollars really is when it comes to paying for professional development from actual game studios.

Bloodstained is currently funded at $5.5m. Dunno if they have more money coming out of publishers but if they don't we can compare the effort put into developing a game.

MilkBeard

I'm surprised at how so much of the criticism is over how hard the game is. The game looked many things in preview footage, but I never would have guessed aggravatingly difficult.

Yeah I agree. All of the footage I've seen makes the game look mind-numbingly easy.

At least it's finally out. We can all move on.

lol, Tell me about that. I've got a bunch of people on the internet that took it very personal when I said I actually liked the demos.

Even if the game looks crappy I think I may enjoy it. I'm kinda confused after reading some of the reviews though: ign gave it 56 while the Italy and UK branches gave it 80; other reviews say the game is fun but the graphics are crap (which is pretty obvious), which is pretty much the same I thought after playing the demos.

Edit: the complains about the difficulty of the game are kind of interesting...

Is it too late for them to introduce a new kickstarter donation tier? People who donated enough to appear in the credits can donate an extra $5 to have it patched out.

Crocodile

I'm still looking forward to playing the game (I already paid for it :p) but its a shame its getting mixed reviews. Some critiques seem to be for things that are common to all Mega Man like games (Hard Bosses, you never need to use the special weapons, etc.) which seems a bit weird but perhaps I've misuderstood them? A shame to hear the special weapon implementation isn't up to the gold standard of Mega Man 9 though. Hearing about framerate issues does piss me off if those pan out. Also presentation and graphics issues but I could tell that on my own just from looking at the game.

I don't think people know how little money 4 million dollars really is when it comes to paying for professional development from actual game studios.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell people this, they will still scream "$4 million dollars!!!!". You see the same shit with every Kickstarter project ("It costs how much to do that?! I can do that in an afternoon in my underwear for $10!")

Bloodstained is currently funded at $5.5m. Dunno if they have more money coming out of publishers but if they don't we can compare the effort put into developing a game.

Deep Silver is putting $4.5 million into the game (separate of the KS funds)/ We've known this from basically the start.

You have more belief in it than me. I'm not that trusting of stuff that there's not much of to gauge. Bloodstained looks like it'll be good. Yooka-Laylee looks like it'll be good. Shenmue 3? Eh...I'm pretty doubtful.

What kind of logic is this? Shenmue III is still like 2 years away, and from what they've shown and said, it couldn't look and sound any more promising than it does at the moment.

The lack of faith in Yu Suzuki in here is disturbing.

duckroll

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...arashi_returns_with_new_game_Bloodstained.php

The details I received say that the game already has funding -- can you talk about the source of that funding, and why you are also going to Kickstarter?

KI: All I can say right now is that after over a year of talking with just about every publisher out there, I was able to secure funding for about 90 percent of the game with the condition that I prove the market still wants an Igavania game. Kickstarter proved to be a great solution, as it would (hopefully) show that people still want an Igavania game while simultaneously providing funds for the core game.

That being said, I'm hoping to clear a few stretch goals so I can add some new features and modes that I've always wanted to do but was never able to in the past. Hopefully, the fact that I've been able to gather most of the investment myself will put to rest any fears that backers may have about this title not being released.

90% of the funding would come from the publisher, 10% was the Kickstarter goal ($500k). All the other stretch goals would be to add content.

So that's $4.5 million from Deep Silver, and $5.5 million from Kickstarter. Sure, let's compare.

Card Boy

Banned
I will never use kickstarter again.

I think its worth it for physical goods like boardgames, card games, technology etc because you know the product you are basically getting. But for movies, gaming or music where there is always a subjective view and an extremely high risk of it being a dud. Just don't back fucken Videogames,there is way too much risk.

If i back the Pebble 2 right i know 100% what i am getting.

I'm gonna be honest,these are better than I thought it would get after all the ridiculous delays and problems.Lots of variants on the difficulty of it in reviews as well.

KingBroly

Banned
What kind of logic is this? Shenmue III is still like 2 years away, and from what they've shown and said, it couldn't look and sound any more promising than it does at the moment.

The lack of faith in Yu Suzuki in here is disturbing.

I'd like a progress report every once in a while. Bloodstained provides one regularly. As do other kickstarters and early access games. Shenmue 3's been a thing for a year and we basically have nothing.

Do you have a point you're attempting to make?

It's impossible to reason with anyone in a review thread, especially about this game. But still I wanted to put things in perspective for people who just drive-by post those cheap arguments but haven't even played the game yet.

MilkBeard

As a Shenmue backer I am not concerned...at all.

Neither am I. It's obvious to me that Suzuki is really passionate about the project. So I at least know that, even if it doesn't turn out well, he will have given it his best effort at the amount funded.

Inafune, on the other hand, is harder to gauge.

Crocodile

I will never use kickstarter again.

Yeah its not like Shovel Knight or Undertale or Pillar of Eternity or etc. weren't high quality, very successful video games that wouldn't have existed without Kickstarter (and that's just the tip of the iceberg, there are many more games that one could point to). Oh wait!

FuturusX

Neither am I. It's obvious to me that Suzuki is really passionate about the project. So I at least know that, even if it doesn't turn out well, he will have given it his best effort at the amount funded.

Inafune, on the other hand, is harder to gauge.

Just the chance for Shenmue to exist again was enough for me. Good or bad, at least it's alive. That is a good thing.

duckroll

It doesn't matter how many times you tell people this, they will still scream "$4 million dollars!!!!". You see the same shit with every Kickstarter project ("It costs how much to do that?! I can do that in an afternoon in my underwear for $10!")

It's sad because it really undermines the perspective of actual talent and effort. Money is not everything. People who throw numbers around not knowing how much it takes to make a game seem to think that budget equates quality. It's so stupid. The simplest answer is not that Inafune "scammed" anyone by stealing the money, it's just that he took the money, put it into developing a game, and well, they just did a bad job of it. It happens. Good games aren't easy to make!

MilkBeard

I'd like a progress report every once in a while. Bloodstained provides one regularly. As do other kickstarters and early access games. Shenmue 3's been a thing for a year and we basically have nothing.

It's true that there hasn't been much yet, but at the same time, there's a LOT more legwork that goes into creating a fully explorable 3D world. I just don't really think much about it myself, and will check back when they have something to show.

Thoraxes

We've had at least 1 a month this year for Shenmue.

Bloodstained is at the end/start (depending on the timing) of every month.

We do get progress reports, just not as frequently as Bloodstained. Big deal? Doubting the legendary Yu Suzuki is uncalled for. But whatever, the game will speak for it's self soon enough.

While that's true, Ori and the Blind Forest had a much lower budget and we were able to work with that for 4 years.

It's sad because it really undermines the perspective of actual talent and effort. Money is not everything. People who throw numbers around not knowing how much it takes to make a game seem to think that budget equates quality. It's so stupid. The simplest answer is not that Inafune "scammed" anyone by stealing the money, it's just that he took the money, put it into developing a game, and well, they just did a bad job of it. It happens. Good games aren't easy to make!

This is true, but I'm pretty sure we've seen better looking games that had significantly smaller budgets.

I didn't expect cutting edge visuals but this looks like the bare minimum amount of effort went into rhat side of the game...

duckroll

While that's true, Ori and the Blind Forest had a much lower budget and we were able to work with that for 4 years.

Yes but indie development has flexibility which larger studios don't. It's ultimately a question of who is using the money and how. A small team not working on any other projects and dedicated to making a single game they own over a longer period of time can make money stretch. A studio contracted to make a game for someone else, having to consider the overhead of their staff and manage a schedule to ensure they can continue to divide their resources to different projects to keep operating, will have very different economic division.

Zaru

The amount of money thrown on the game matters little when the core gameplay and design philosophy aren't good enough to begin with.

Top Bottom