• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 special demo now live

"The demo we're putting out as apology for the game being delayed is delayed" is amazing.

ahaha

..and yet, if the gameplay was better it would be forgivable. Instead, it's just a really bad package. The enemies take inconsistent amounts of damage. The game wants to you to shoot really fast, but if you shoot too fast it won't detect the hits (not just on bosses, normal enemies too.) Annoying as piss for speed runs. I'm still working on getting S rank on the oil level though.

...Seriously? These are unforgivable bugs considering they made a game that clearly was designed around speedrunning.

MrBadger

Here's a 1080p 60FPS playthrough of the Special Demo. This is highest graphics settings running on a GTX 970. It has framerate problems even on that video card so I wouldn't expect solid performance out of the final game (which this basically is.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikR6h0EV5tI

The low budget story segments are great.

"The security bot is out of control!"

*security bot stands there motionless*

"YOU'LL HAVE TO FIGHT YOUR WAY OUT"

Nose Master

Is there a canon timeline for Inafune/Comcept's buffoonery? These are the major points I know of, but I might be off on some of the times and information:

-Launches MN9 Kickstarter, does extremely well
-Launches a second "kickstarter" for MN9 because money, fans feel taken advantage of.
-Announces awkward cartoon for MN9.
-Releases real screenshots of MN9, doesn't look like concept art.
-Announces live-action movie for MN9 that will never happen, ever.
-Launches Red Ash kickstarter. Red Ash kickstarter's base goal is to create a "prologue" chapter of the game, with the actual game being stretch goals. Red Ash kickstarter is also tied to a Red Ash Anime.
-Red Ash kickstarter crashes and burns, announces delay of MN9 almost immediately after.
-Red Ash is being made anyways, because they had a partnership with a Chinese publisher the entire time.
-As an apology for the MN9 delay, everyone (not even the beta tier backers) receive a "trial" version of the game with one more stage than the beta, and their shitty story on September 15th.
-Whoops! We can't even release a trial version on schedule, despite the fact that it was accidentally released on September 11th and then taken down.

I feel like I'm missing a lot.

Crocodile

I'm confused. Why exactly was the trail delayed? Some people have it and it works so it seems ready to go. Why is distribution an issue? They are only putting out through Steam. Just e-mail Steam codes to all the backers and it should be good to go? Is there some issue on their database where the trial ROM is being held or something? I'm not getting it.

Here's a 1080p 60FPS playthrough of the Special Demo. This is highest graphics settings running on a GTX 970. It has framerate problems even on that video card so I wouldn't expect solid performance out of the final game (which this basically is.)

There are some legit critiques in this video but the persistent whiny and bitchy tone of it makes it hard to watch :/

Kriken

t3XpKIb.jpg

dead2.gif

This is beyond embarrassing at this point

Honestly I don't even think it looks that bad. I can't even bring myself to be concerned about the art style. At this point all I care about is how it plays, and -now- I'm getting concerned.

This is rapidly sounding like something I'll beat once and never care to revisit outside of the soundtrack.

Exile20

Wow that looks bad in every way. Glad I didn't back this.

Is the gameplay just shoot shoot dash? No weapon upgrades, interesting ways of travesal, interesting levels, nothing?

Not meaning to derail, but no way. I mean, I disagree strongly. X8 isn't up there with X, X2, for sure, but it's a really fun game and no way the worst in the series. X3, X6 and X7 are right there.
I am sorry, meant Megaman 8 and not X8. I like X8, I rank it 4th in my X games list.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Between the KS and today at least we got the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I can't believe I am more excited now towards anything Mega Man from Capcom, rather than this POS from Compshit.

Forget the art direction, the 3D models during cutscreen look like pile of shit (also that explosion effect). Platform parity at work? Is this what we should get for giving them more money to port to more platforms?

me0wish

Forget the art direction, the 3D models during cutscreen look like pile of shit (also that explosion effect). Platform parity at work? Is this what we should get for giving them more money to port to more platforms?

When I played the beta and said that the game is absolute trash, it had its graphics downgraded to fit into portables, people called me salty and paranoid. Concept sucks, Mighty GV was depressingly bad and GV was ok at best, I doubt they even needed more money for other platforms, they just wanted to exploit our faith in them.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually hilarious how they don't even seem to care.

Like how is it that damage control hasn't kicked in yet.
How is it that no emails have been issued informing backers about the delay.
How is it that there still isn't a kickstarter page update on it.
How is it that the only thing out from their side informing us of the delay is this
http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150915 ????????
KIMOKIMO CUP PART 7: Blue Area!! what a great title for delay information.

It makes no sense. How does anyone there think this is ok.
Again like with the original delay most backers probably will get their news from sites reporting on that.
Urgh... I really should just stop caring... but shit like this frustrates me, because that stuff isn't about the game it's about respecting your backers.

Vamphuntr

I was wondering where my trial key was and I learned here they are having issues with keys. Bwahaha this is beyond pathetic at this point.

Cmagus

It's actually hilarious how they don't even seem to care.

Like how is it that damage control hasn't kicked in yet.
How is it that no emails have been issued informing backers about the delay.
How is it that there still isn't a kickstarter page update on it.
How is it that the only thing out from their side informing us of the delay is this
http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150915 ????????
KIMOKIMO CUP PART 7: Blue Area!! what a great title for delay information.

It makes no sense. How does anyone there think this is ok.
Again like with the original delay most backers probably will get their news from sites reporting on that.
Urgh... I really should just stop caring... but shit like this frustrates me, because that stuff isn't about the game it's about respecting your backers.

They literally have no community managers anymore they all left. It seems like the biggest problem is communication, it was certainly what killed Red Ash. It's frustrating but delays and hiccups do happen it's part of development the only difference is we get to see it happening since we paid for it to be made.This company has been taking a beating it's probably best they remain quiet and focus on getting it out no matter how much it pisses off fans.

I'm not sure why they buried the news though it makes no sense like people were gonna find out anyways when the demo didn't come on the 15th.

There is no doubt Comcept is a talented company with some really good people working there but this all just seems so disorganized. I wouldn't keep waiting for it and when it's ready it'll be ready. I honestly believe that most of what they have been doing has been done with good intentions 9they had some fun community stuff going) but it all just seemed to collapse so fast.

I thinking the possible delay may have them going back making some changes due to all the datamining that happened and all the other stuff that was left in the game.I think it's probably not a distribution thing because they already distributed Mighty Gunvolt to everyone on steam so I don't believe this is the problem.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
They literally have no community managers anymore they all left. It seems like the biggest problem is communication, it was certainly what killed Red Ash. It's frustrating but delays and hiccups do happen it's part of development the only difference is we get to see it happening since we paid for it to be made.This company has been taking a beating it's probably best they remain quiet and focus on getting it out no matter how much it pisses off fans.

I'm not sure why they buried the news though it makes no sense like people were gonna find out anyways when the demo didn't come on the 15th.

There is no doubt Comcept is a talented company with some really good people working there but this all just seems so disorganized. I wouldn't keep waiting for it and when it's ready it'll be ready.

I thinking the possible delay may have them going back making some changes due to all the datamining that happened and all the other stuff that was left in the game.I think it's probably not a distribution thing because they already distributed Mighty Gunvolt to everyone on steam so I don't believe this is the problem.

Did only backers at a specific tier receive the mighty Gunvolt key or are there still ones going out?

As for them staying silent I can't agree with that. I strongly feel that good communication is the very least that should be owed to you on kickstarter.
There are so many other things that you can't totally control. Like how the game is perceived. How good the game will be, etc etc. On those fronts you just do your best.

And we as backers have to understand that this was a risk we were willing to take.
That we might not exactly get what we hoped.

But that said communication is totally in your control. I understand it takes time and all that stuff, but that's what you chose. When you work with a publisher you can't skip out on important meetings either. Communication with your backers is kind of the equivalent to that.
Just because you're not contractually obligated doesn't make it ok to skip out on that stuff.

And for us backers who can only wait and hope it is the one safe way to repay our trust.
It's to be open, honest and communicative.

A dev that has shitty communication has no place on kickstarter to me.

Cmagus

Did only backers at a specific tier receive the mighty Gunvolt key or are there still ones going out?

As for them staying silent I can't agree with that. I strongly feel that good communication is the very least that should be owed to you on kickstarter.
There are so many other things that you can't totally control. Like how the game is perceived. How good the game will be, etc etc. On those fronts you just do your best.

And we as backers have to understand that this was a risk we were willing to take.
That we might not exactly get what we hoped.

But that said communication is totally in your control. I understand it takes time and all that stuff, but that's what you chose. When you work with a publisher you can't skip out on important meetings either. Communication with your backers is kind of the equivalent to that.
Just because you're not contractually obligated doesn't make it ok to skip out on that stuff.

And for us backers who can only wait and hope it is the one safe way to repay our trust.
It's to be open, honest and communicative.

A dev that has shitty communication has now place on kickstarter to me.

All backers were emailed a code for a free copy of Mighty Gunvolt which isn't out yet.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
All backers were emailed a code for a free copy of Mighty Gunvolt which isn't out yet.

Nice stuff I wasn't even aware of that *sigh*. Thanks for the info, appreciate that!
Guess I'll wait until the game comes out and see if a code shows up.

Just read up on all the latest news. Wow, I gave money to this project. This all looks awful.

The hell Inafune. Guess I'm glad he left Capcom.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I watched that video and I can tell unless there's an option to turn off the audio, I'll be muting the TV during gameplay. Already sick of "here we go"

Between the KS and today at least we got the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I can't believe I am more excited now towards anything Mega Man from Capcom, rather than this POS from Compshit.

We also got the wonderful Shovel Knight, which might not be exactly like Mega Man but it certainly shares quite a few similarities, including one of Mega Man's composers!

Danji

ahaha

...Seriously? These are unforgivable bugs considering they made a game that clearly was designed around speedrunning.

The graphics, audio, and other presentation issues would be forgiveable. The glitches (and design flaws) ARE the gameplay, so clearly it's not okay.

Is there a canon timeline for Inafune/Comcept's buffoonery?

The Rant is GO: Mighty No. 9 (THE RIDE NEVER ENDS!) [Development Timeline]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWoVGPYVf_A

Zomba13

Just started watching this. What does "It is the present year" even mean? Of course it's the present year. Even in a flashback a character would say it and be right.

Ultimadrago

The graphics, audio, and other presentation issues would be forgiveable. The glitches (and design flaws) ARE the gameplay, so clearly it's not okay.

Honestly, I still wouldn't forgive the presentation issues if the game played okay. It's a major piece of the pie for games I keep in my books. For the money and development experience behind the title, the game should look and sound considerably better. The glitches and subpar play design is the garbage pile on top.

Danji

Can you toggle off the fucking chatting and dialogue eating up the bottom of the screen?

I just checked, and no.

Is it present in every stage?

It is inescapable.

Honestly, I still wouldn't forgive the presentation issues if the game played okay. It's a major piece of the pie for games I keep in my books. For the money and development experience behind the title, the game should look and sound considerably better. The glitches and subpar play design is the garbage pile on top.

I wouldn't either. It would still look and sound like ass. I wouldn't be as angry about Inafune saying that he has classic design sensibilities and other such nonsense if there weren't such rampant problems with everything about the game. He's such a hack.

epmode

That is what I am wondering. Is that the whole game? Shoot shoot dash?

It looks like you can actually destroy enemies without dashing but it takes several additional bullets. They really want you to love that dash.

Edge grabbing feels really out of place here, BTW.

Exile20

It looks like you can actually destroy enemies without dashing but it takes several additional bullets. They really want you to love that dash.

Edge grabbing feels really out of place here, BTW.

No new weapons? abilities? Nothing? Use the same gun and dash for everything?

Sure, I just meant it seems most egregious to me that they've missed/not yet fixed a bug that so affects the central core system of the entire game.

I just checked, and no.

It is inescapable.

Maybe I can write this off on my taxes if I donate my code for the final product

This is going to hurt any futher japaness Kickstarter project,

IGA better don't make the freaking same mistake !

Isn't Bloodstained going to be made by the same developer that did MN9 which is underwhelming and disappointing?

Why should I be excited and expect much better things from Bloodstained after seeing what Inti Creates did with MN9?

Zukkoyaki

Isn't Bloodstained going to be made by the same developer that did MN9 which is underwhelming and disappointing?

Why should I be excited and expect much better things from Bloodstained after seeing what Inti Creates did with MN9?
Because despite the negativity surrounding MN9, Inti Creates is actually quite the proven developer. Just look at their Gunvolt games. They're also divided into several different teams kind of like Rare, Bioware, etc. There are also different people leading the project on Bloodstained.

I completely understand the hesitancy though, but I personally wouldn't let Comcept's fail impact your perception of what Iga and his guys are doing.

poncle

4 million dollars...

My favourite glaring issues are oversaturated palette, overlapping text, and punishing gameplay.

Because despite the negativity surrounding MN9, Inti Creates is actually quite the proven developer. Just look at their Gunvolt games. They're also divided into several different teams kind of like Rare, Bioware, etc. There are also different people leading the project on Bloodstained.

I completely understand the hesitancy though, but I personally wouldn't let Comcept's fail impact your perception of what Iga and his guys are doing.

I want to believe you. After all I backed Bloodstained for $100 but only after backing MN9 for $60 back in 2013 and I cant help but feel disapointed. I just dont want the same thing happening to Iga's creation.

Also just got a new MN9 update:

Regarding the Mighty No. 9 Special Demo Delay

Hey Mighties!

We want to give you some more clarity on the demo situation.

Although the demo had been finished and was ready to go, we ran into some very last-minute and unexpected complications with distributing the demo exclusively to all our backers through Steam. We’ve also been listening to your feedback about preferring to have a demo that is not time-limited. Given the complications with giving you the demo, we came to the conclusion that it would be better to make the demo DRM-free without any time restrictions.

Because this demo is exclusively for you, our backers, we still needed to have a way to get the demo to each of you individually and we’ve been looking into all the options. We’re currently working with our partners at Humble Bundle to prepare the demo for delivery through their service.

Unfortunately this change in our plans means that the release of the demo is going to be slightly delayed as we are currently working on retooling the demo for a DRM-free release. Comcept and all of our partners are working hard to get the demo ready and in our backers’ hands as soon as possible.

We sincerely apologize for this delay, but we hope you’ll like the resulting changes! We will keep our backers up-to-date regarding the release of this demo as soon as we have more information.

Cheers,
The Mighty Team

JeanPi

Banned
I already hate Beck and every other character and the game isn't even out yet. I hate the "here we go" and other shit he spits out, makes my ears bleed.

brett2

Why bother with all of the cutscenes if you aren't going to animate them properly? Either have short but well done ones or remove them entirely.

"I forgot the game at my mom's house," says your classmate Inafune, "I'll get it to you by tomorrow for sure!"

You know he's lying, but you nod and smile anyway. It's your nightmare; you're back in school with Inafune.

Top Bottom