• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 special demo now live

Wereroku

So apparently the beta was delayed so they could redevelop it into a standalone DRM-free version that is going to be released on Humble.

The story bits remind me of this.

tumblr_ly66o6Jm3a1r29pfko1_400.gif

Wasn't he saying that's how a modern Mega Man game would be? How prophetic of him.

Here's a 1080p 60FPS playthrough of the Special Demo. This is highest graphics settings running on a GTX 970. It has framerate problems even on that video card so I wouldn't expect solid performance out of the final game (which this basically is.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikR6h0EV5tI

Holy shit, that looks bad. The constant 'story' interruptions, the godawful dialogue and VA, the bland visuals and awful art style, the enemies which are lifted straight out of Mega Man, the weird design decisions and questionable level design, the poor technical performance, and so on.

bumpkin

Holy shit, that looks bad. The constant 'story' interruptions, the godawful dialogue and VA, the bland visuals and awful art style, the enemies which are lifted straight out of Mega Man, the weird design decisions and questionable level design, the poor technical performance, and so on.
Blame this in UE3, IMHO. They should have used Unity.

Have you played it, or you just joining the gaf-hive mind in bashing it? Everyone who has played it likes it.

Yeah people who invested in it and have exclusive access are going to like things more than than would otherwise.

It is like when Kevin Smith had an advanced preview of Star Wars episode 1 and told everyone it was awesome.

bumpkin

Why would you blame UE3? There are tons of games made with UE3 that look way better, and run awesome on PC.
Because Unity runs better across more platforms for 2D games. Using UE3 for MN9 is like using a bazooka to kill a mosquito.

Yeah people who invested in it and have exclusive access are going to like things more than than would otherwise.

It is like when Kevin Smith had an advanced preview of Star Wars episode 1 and told everyone it was awesome.

Don't forget there's alsoa hive mind for hating things that other people hate (sometimes when people haven't played it for themselves).

I think what would be a good idea at this point is for backers with valid concerns to voice them in the proper channels. I hope this one turns out nice or at least leads to nicer things. Capcom needs to see that the public matters. Can't see that happening if this tanks

PSqueak

Banned
So watching this game demo in action...

-Something is making normal people Robots go haywire.
-Hero can absorb nanites "Xel" into his body for his own use.
-Hero can use Xel to make new weapons out of his body.
-Hero has the ability to cure the Evos Mighty by absorbing their Xel.

So basically, this is Generator Rex with a store brand megaman coat of paint?

Wasn't he saying that's how a modern Mega Man game would be? How prophetic of him.

Hardly, this was on Megaman X5, predating his video by years, in fact i straight up assumed he was making fun of Megaman X5.

PSqueak

Banned
Not a fan of the dashing mechanic.

I actually like it, it's the one mechanic that sets it appart from being a carbon copy of megaman, plus it has a risk reward thing going, will you snipe everything from far or will you go dashing to absorb the most so you can have a subtank when you need it?

Parsnip

I actually like it, it's the one mechanic that sets it appart from being a carbon copy of megaman, plus it has a risk reward thing going, will you snipe everything from far or will you go dashing to absorb the most so you can have a subtank when you need it?

Perhaps.
But that's not the game I had in mind when I backed this to be honest.
I'll still play the final game when it comes out, but I'll probably ignore the "dash to kill" entirely if at all feasible.

OmegaX

Because Unity runs better across more platforms for 2D games. Using UE3 for MN9 is like using a bazooka to kill a mosquito.

It's not a 2D game though. It's a 3D game with a fixed side camera. Unity may run better across more platforms but MN9 is having performance problems on a PC with specs that are better than recommended.
It'd say don't blame the engine but blame the developers.

Pizza

The biggest nitpick I have about this game is Beck's standing/running animations. idk why. I just hate em.

Looks like mighty no 9 though!

Giolon

The demo is now releasing to backers via Humble Bundle. It seems to be releasing in waves though. Some people have it, some don't yet. Mine didn't come until about 15 minutes ago and the announcement was an hour ago.

I gave it a quick spin. Game looks like ass, but the gameplay is solid.

Why couldn't they cell shade this? >.<

Crayolan

Game doesn't show up on my Humble Bundle page at all.

Why couldn't they just link us to the page where we can enter our e-mail for the code?

Squishy3

this gameplay is so simple my god

granted i guess its the tutorial boss but the boss went through like 5 animation cycles before i beat him

jacobeid

Banned
Game doesn't show up on my Humble Bundle page at all.

Why couldn't they just link us to the page where we can enter our e-mail for the code?

Mine still isn't showing and I did use the order resender.

Maybe it's better this way.

Edit: Got mine to show up after hitting the order resender a third time. First impressions are pretty meh. It's like PSAS...it's 99% Mega Man but that other 1% just makes me wish that I were playing the MMX instead.

BiggNife

So am I missing something or is there actually any way to tell whether Pyro is going to just sprint or do the sumo splash? It feels like it's just a dice roll.

I don't hate this demo, it just feels...kinda sloppy? Like they have some good ideas in here but they didn't take enough time to playtest and refine it so you're left wondering what could've been.

me0wish

What a terrible demo, inconsistency in texture resolution and quality, terrible pacing with poorly designed 3 minutes long levels (with hardly any platforming), beyond bad boss fights, atrocious character design with even worse voice acting, laughable effects with piss poor animations (you could see Beck's neck not connected to his head in one of the cutscenes), meh OST, random fps drop.

This game is anything but polished, feels like playing one of these indie games that Jim Sterling complains about, after being disappointed by the beta demo (old demo), I had no expectations for the game, yet it managed to somehow disappoint me even further. I stated before that the old demo felt like worse than the worst Megaman, I was wrong, I've played Mario Maker levels made by kids that were more fun than this trash.

Didn't mean to offended anyone but I'm pissed.

RiggyRob

Probably the wrong thread to bump but I can't find a more relevant one that isn't a couple of months old - they're shipping out the first wave of physical rewards now:

DEAREST HUMAN RiggyRob,

HAIKU BOT SHIPPING...
PREPARING DELIVERY...
LOCATION CONFIRMED!
-------------------
Order KICKMIGHTYNO9

1x Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter Shirt - M / Japanese Design / Unisex
1x Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter Shirt - M / Western Design / Unisex
1x Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter Items - Plushie

Your package may take up to six weeks to arrive.

If you have any questions about this order, feel free to email orders@fangamer.com .

---------------------
HAIKU BOT PRO-TIP:
END HAIKUS WITH SINGLE WORDS.
KALEIDOSCOPIC!

Bit concerning that it hasn't included the poster, signed artbook and game manuals, I suppose they should come in another wave. I haven't had the time to even try out the special demo.

Probably the wrong thread to bump but I can't find a more relevant one that isn't a couple of months old - they're shipping out the first wave of physical rewards now:

Bit concerning that it hasn't included the poster, signed artbook and game manuals, I suppose they should come in another wave. I haven't had the time to even try out the special demo.
Printed stuff might be coming from a separate warehouse / supplier.

bumpkin

Got the same email and yeah, bit weird that it's not all of the physical goodies.

I've tried the demo (at the lowest detail settings), but only by the luck of having a Windows PC for work that just *barely* runs it. All of my home computers are Macs and I chose PS4 for my copy of the game. :(

Top Bottom