• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mii March 2015

Tyeforce

I made a thread here two years ago for the first Mii March, but since that thread's so old now I figured it'd be best to make a new one.

This video explains what Mii March is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qiOCbSJqG8

During Mii March, Nintendo fans are encouraged to change their online profile pictures to their Mii characters for the month. Basically, Mii March is just a fun way for Nintendo fans to join together for a month to show their love for Nintendo, much like many Pokémon fans do in December for Pokémon Profile Picture Month. It's not some kind of promotion or anything, it's just for fun! It's not unlike NeoGAF's own Real Pic January.

If you don't know how to get an image of your Mii, here are instructions:
HOW TO GET AN IMAGE OF YOUR Mii:

On Nintendo 3DS:
1. Ensure there is an SD Card inserted into the Nintendo 3DS before continuing.
2. Select the Mii Maker icon on the HOME Menu, and tap "Open."
3. Tap the "QR Code/Image Options" button.
4. Tap "Save Mii as Image."
5. Select the desired Mii Character, press "OK," and select "Face."

On Wii U:
1. Ensure there is an SD Card inserted into the Wii U before continuing.
2. From the Wii U Menu, select "Mii Maker."
3. Tap "QR Code/Image Options."
4. Tap "Save Mii as Image."
5. Select the desired Mii Character, press "Create," and select "Face."

Once you've saved the image of your Mii to the SD Card, you can copy the image from your SD Card to your computer, or you can upload it directly from your Nintendo 3DS via the Internet Browser (uploading images saved to an SD Card isn't supported on the Wii U Internet Browser).

The easiest way to upload photos from your Nintendo 3DS is to visit https://i.nintendo.net/ from the Nintendo 3DS Internet Browser, where you can upload photos from your SD Card directly to Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr.

If you'd like, you can even get creative and use an image of your Mii from games that utilize Mii characters, such as Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, Nintendo Land, and more! You can use an image that you've shared to Miiverse (https://miiverse.nintendo.net/), or you can upload a screenshot from suspended software on Wii U directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr by visiting https://i.nintendo.net/ from the Wii U Internet Browser.

Alternatively, you can just visit https://miiverse.nintendo.net from your computer, sign in, click on your User Page, and either save or copy the image address of your Mii there. This works great for NeoGAF avatars, and Mii images obtained this way even have transparent backgrounds, as well!

If you're participating on Facebook, here's an event page that you can invite your friends to, if you'd like, and you can use the hashtag #MiiMarch to spread the word on Twitter and other sites.

Gaffers have participated in previous years, so hopefully the same will happen this year, too!

Tyeforce

Okay, avatars are working again, so now we can actually see the Miis. =P Bad timing for making this thread, lol.

AgeEighty

OK, I'm a big Mii fan, so I'm on board.

By the way, I make a lot of Miis and have my own website for them. If any of you are dissatisfied with your Miis of yourself and want me to take a crack at it, you can PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I'll try to make something decent from SSB 4 3DS or Wii U.

It's not that I'm into "Nintendo fans represent" thing but Mihos post made me change my mind.

Edit : yeah I know I already have a Nintendo avatar and everyone knows I'm a huge Nintendo fan but still doing a "Mii march" seems big but I'll join anyway ^^

OP, You know that you can also grab an image of a Mii through the miiverse website right?

Just go to your profile page and right click and save the image of the Mii. You can even modify the address to include all the Yeah emotes your Mii can do on miiverse.

Tyeforce

OP, You know that you can also grab an image of a Mii through the miiverse website right?

Just go to your profile page and right click and save the image of the Mii. You can even modify the address to include all the Yeah emotes your Mii can do on miiverse.
Yeah, I know, but the Mii images from Miiverse are pretty low resolution. They have transparent backgrounds, which is nice, but other than that the exported images from 3DS or Wii U are much better.

Is there a difference in resolution between getting an image from Wii U and uploading from 3DS?
Both images export at 480x480, but Mii images exported from a Wii U will look nicer than on a 3DS, since it uses the Wii U model.

Yeah, I know, but the Mii images from Miiverse are pretty low resolution. They have transparent backgrounds, which is nice, but other than that the exported images from 3DS or Wii U are much better.

Both images export at 480x480, but Mii images exported from a Wii U will look nicer than on a 3DS, since it uses the Wii U model.

Yeah but it wouldn't look all that great on a tiny forum avatar anyway. My way is more simple and the results are arguably better with the transparent background.

Robin64

Sure, why not!

Using my Miiverse one because they're 96 x 96, which is only a few pixels away from max width on here anyway. Plus transparency, mmm.

Tyeforce

Yeah but it wouldn't look all that great on a tiny forum avatar anyway. My way is more simple and the results are arguably better with the transparent background.
True, for NeoGAF the Miiverse Mii images work well. Maybe not so much on other sites like Facebook and such, though, which is why I omitted that in the instructions. But since it's easy and works well for GAF, I'll add it to the OP!

Just did the online Miiverse thing. I'm getting lazy but it looks fine. It's a weird version of real pic January.

I wonder how many Neogaf Mii's are made with photos? I didn't transfer my Wii Mii to 3DS I used the create from photo and transferred that Mii to Wii U.

69wpm

Done.

Btw: You don't really have to export your Mii from your Wii U or 3DS. You can just go to mariokart.tv or Miiverse and look at the source code to grab your mii image.

For example: In Safari, visit your userpage on Miiverse and look at the source code. You should be able to download your Mii from there.

e2i7ESJ.jpg

In Chrome, you have to look for this part. Just open the link in a new tab and save the image.

b4uBUsy.jpg

Tyeforce

Done.

Btw: You don't really have to export your Mii from your Wii U or 3DS. You can just go to mariokart.tv or Miiverse and look at the source code to grab your mii image.

For example: In Safari, visit your userpage on Miiverse and look at the source code. You should be able to download your Mii from there.

e2i7ESJ.jpg

In Chrome, you have to look for this part. Just open the link in a new tab and save the image.

b4uBUsy.jpg
I did add the Miiverse method to the end of the instructions on the OP! I detailed the export from 3DS/Wii U method first since it creates a larger image, however, but either way works!

I always stick with my avatar (well, sort of, I always theme it with some character(s) depending on what I'm hyped on) because avatars is pretty much how I, and most other people on forums, identify other users. I know more users by avatar than by name. But even still, this is kind of cute. Ya'all look great.

I just want to say; the dude in the video told you to change your Facebook profile picture as well, and I know some people on GAF are socially awkward so just a tip: don't do that.

Tyeforce

I always stick with my avatar (well, sort of, I always theme it with some character(s) depending on what I'm hyped on) because avatars is pretty much how I, and most other people on forums, identify other users. I know more users by avatar than by name. But even still, this is kind of cute. Ya'all look great.

I just want to say; the dude in the video told you to change your Facebook profile picture as well, and I know some people on GAF are socially awkward so just a tip: don't do that.
That's why I always use my Mii as my avatar, lol. But I totally understand why some people wouldn't want to change theirs.

I'm not sure why you'd think it's not a good idea to change your Facebook profile picture, though. Why does it matter so much? It's just a change in your profile picture, and a temporary one at that. Plenty of people put even sillier things as their profile picture. Who cares what you set your profile picture to? And if someone does care...why should you worry about what they think? If they're going to judge you for that, that's pretty shallow of them.

Top Bottom