• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra taking aim at XB leadership?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's peak irony that it's him of all people taking cheap shots from the sidelines when his own stints in leadship positions (CEO of Blizzard among other things) did not have anything to do with "making great games".
Having known Mike on a personal level for years him and Phil butted heads often on games and he usually lost

He actually laughed at the private showing of the Halo Infinite trailer that gave us Craig because he thought him and Phil were being trolled

Once Mike found out it was the actual trailer he ever said something along the lines of "We can't release this" but Phil said it looked good and we got that first hideous trailer.

So yeah he is taking shots at XB Brass

Hudo

Having known Mike on a personal level for years him and Phil butted heads often on games and he usually lost

He actually laughed at the private showing of the Halo Infinite trailer that gave us Craig because he thought him and Phil were being trolled

Once Mike found out it was the actual trailer he ever said something along the lines of "We can't release this" but Phil said it looked good and we got that first hideous trailer.

He also greenlit the now thankfully cancelled survival game that Blizzard wasted time and resources on while also ignoring the shitshow that still is WarCraft 3 Reforged and had no solution for how to save WoW other than going back on his own words of "you think you do. But you don't" regarding a classic verison of WoW.

Cool that he's your friend but from outside observation, he also made bad decisions.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
He also greenlit the now thankfully cancelled survival game that Blizzard wasted time and resources on while also ignoring the shitshow that still is WarCraft 3 Reforged and had no solution for how to save WoW other than going back on his own words of "you think you do. But you don't" regarding a classic verison of WoW.

Cool that he's your friend but from outside observation, he also made bad decisions.
Without a doubt he isn't the all knowing type because talking to him personally he really enjoyed that canceled game which I saw some very early gameplay of and looked ok at best to me, not something I would play

I am just agreeing that his post is very likely aimed at XB because he was over ruled often.

One other little story I have told here many times but worth repeating

XB has a roundtable when they gather and when Mike left XB the first time on his own accord Phil said they would leave his chair open to represent the gamer (since Mike was the only actual gamer there) to always remind them who XB worked for and how is that something XB would need to be reminded of

Without a doubt he isn't the all knowing type because talking to him personally he really enjoyed that canceled game which I saw some very early gameplay of and looked ok at best to me, not something I would play

I am just agreeing that his post is very likely aimed at XB because he was over ruled often.

XB has a roundtable when they gather and when Mike left XB the first time on his own accord Phil said they would leave his chair open to represent the gamer (since Mike was the only actual gamer there) to always remind them who XB worked for and how is that something XB would need to be reminded of

Wow, so Phil is delusional as well as not being the "gamer" his lunatic proponents purport him as?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

His resume aside, this post - whoever it's aimed at - is spot on. A lot of the problems Xbox has faced over the last 2 generations now would be seen as "growing pains" if they were consistently releasing great games.

It's also why I shake my head at all the news of what hardware they want to build/release next. Xbox Series is fine. People just need a reason to buy it over PS5. As it stands they're increasingly chipping away at any value proposition their console has.

It's still baffling to me how they managed to completely mismanage their first party studios to this point.

Last edited:
It’s too late, Xbox is too far to gone to save. You can’t just turn a dial and start pumping out good games. Making good games requires years of planning and decision making.

He would be foolish to want to take the captain position on a sinking ship. Xbox has to throw everything at game pass and hope it works.

GTA 6’s release will at least keep them a float to barely make it into a potential new console but even that seems unlikely because I’m sure most people will just get it on PS5 instead especially if the PS5 pro is real and it ends up improving the games performance compared to the Xbox edition.

Last edited:
ae1ciz5.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
People on forums hating Mike Ybarra is one thing, but people hate him in person, too. He's a total ass, but he probably already knows that.

I was highlighting his change of attitude towards PlayStation. At the end of the day, he’s eager to experience PlayStation greatness while at the same time taking digs at Xbox.

Yeah but it's in that passive-aggressive port-begging, almost-trolling kind of way to egg on yet more PC ports from Sony.

Even when, IMHO, that continuing as it has currently or especially if it becomes more aggressive, is going to lead PlayStation consoles down a similar path of irrelevance that Xbox has seen.

solidus12

Yeah but it's in that passive-aggressive port-begging, almost-trolling kind of way to egg on yet more PC ports from Sony.

Even when, IMHO, that continuing as it has currently or especially if it becomes more aggressive, is going to lead PlayStation consoles down a similar path of irrelevance that Xbox has seen.
I was/am against the PlayStation pc initiative from day one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom