• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra - Tipping Game Creators $10 or $20 on Top of the $70 Price is a Great Idea.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Can I choose who I tip? No? I’m shocked! I’m sure the multi billion dollar company will make that decision for me exactly how I’d have liked them to

Reactions: Gp1
Hell no. I already stopped eating out or getting deliveries cause tipping is getting out of hand. Even when I get take out the payment processor asks if I want to tip.

DragonNCM

medic.gif

Gp1

Yeah Mike...

I'm going to tip some 6 figure executive or some entitled developer that preach during the entire narrative and doesn't even like it's costumer...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Bro, this person is a joke character. And it's been a tired act for awhile now. I remember when gaf used to ban dipshits whose act lacked any nuance.
Its really a good question why some are allowed to repeatedly intentionally poke people and get away with it

Fredrik

I drop too many games early, $70 entry price is too much.

I rather see the initial cost becoming lower and then I can pay more if I like it.

$10 for the first 10% of the game, $50 when I’m half way through, $20 if I stay til the end and even more if I keep playing it afterwards.

Would easily pay $150 for 300+ hour games like Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Starfield, No Man’s Sky, Zelda BOTW. But not so much for shorter one and done story focused titles.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Its really a good question why some are allowed to repeatedly intentionally poke people and get away with it
Times have changed. It's an attention / engagement economy and people are actually incetivised to rile folks up... unfortunately. But there's also always been trolls, and we've been saying not to feed them for decades -- to the point you'd hope we'd know better. So, there's enough blame to go around I guess.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
… but you’re painting the entire field with the same brush when you talk about MP games being more profitable due to $20 skins.
No, I'm just pointing to the rising tide and explaining why it's happening.

These big companies are observing the same trends I am, with much higher resolution. Stomping your feet as AAA SP continues to fail might feel good but it's completely unhelpful to further the discussion.

For every Fortnite there’s 100 absolute failures like Halo Infinite’s multiplayer.
Again, these companies know the math waaaaay better than you or I. They're moving towards Live Service for a reason. Part of that reason is that SP gamers aren't as attractive as they used to be. Time to wake up to that fact.

The multiplayer scene is dominated by long standing games like Rocket League, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Destiny, Sea of Thieves, Counter Strike and the only giant annual multiplayer games are FIFA and CoD.

And $70 single player games are more than capable of this if the quality is there.
You can keep saying this, but your sentiment is clearly wrong. The industry would rather keep doing what they've done for the last 30 years (make formulaic AAA SP games + grow revenue & profits). They're not going in that direction because that market is capped.

These companies are more profitable than ever despite their own inability to control costs and development times.
"Companies" is a low resolution word.
Increase resolution by saying "Game types" or "Studios".

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I personally, as a single player gamer, don't think this is a bad idea actually. There were times, with both small and big games, where I was so enthralled by the game that i really wanted to somehow contribute more towards the continuing success of the studio.
And given the current single player environment, it's a nice way to pay more for good games, if you want, so that we get more such games. A nice way of patronizing and incentivizing good games.

Holammer

Tipping or gratuity is not normal everywhere in the world. In Japan there was an effort to make it a thing back in 2021, but it was met with a backlash and dropped. It's considered an insult to leave tips.
I had a tip once, when I worked alone at my sisters roadside restaurant. Tourists left money on the table, I was distraught because I thought someone forgot the money, so I put the money in the lost and found box.

If I want to support a game I love, I gift copies to my friends.

Hugare

Yeah, 'cause the tip would totally go to the devs, and not to executives that havent even played the game themselves

What a fucking idiot

Imagine leaving the cinema thinking "that was a damn good Marvel movie. I guess I'll tip them $20"

BTW, this US tip culture is also fucking idiotic and shouldn't spread at all

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Is there a way to support Mike Ybarras overall point without it being interpreted as "intentionally poking people and getting away with it"?

Some of you need thicker skin. Having opposing viewpoints is something adults should embrace.

Hugare

Devs are often payed based on certain financial benchmarks set by the publisher. So a tip system could easily benefit the developers if their contracts were set up in such a manner.
Reality check: they would actually get paid even less and most of their salary would be based on tips, like every other job that has a tipping system.

This system would only benefit the executives and etc., not developers.

Not only that, but most games that come out undercooked are released that way due to stupid decisions from executives. So imagine tipping being low due to idiotic decisions from suits.

I'm sure developers would love this system.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

We’re in need of a severe video game market crash to push the reset button on all of this. The insanity has gotten out of control. We’re already heading in that direction with all the consolidations and layoffs. The constant cadence of pitiful game releases over the last few years is just the icing on the cake along with industry “insiders” like this idiot.

Last edited:

Three

Deluxe editions are just that.
The difference is that you can buy a deluxe edition of a shit game not knowing if it's worth that extra $10. That's more like an entrance fee than a tip. His suggestion is to play a game till the end and have the option to tip at the end if you really thought it was a quality game. Maybe a message that says "if you enjoyed this game consider upgrading to the deluxe edition for $10" would be considered more akin to a tip and would work better than a simple donation to a megacorp.

Three

I've put a lot of time into a FTP game, I supported level one and level two of "Player support" payments but you can only make those once. Level 3 was half the price of a full priced game, get fucked you whale hunters. I would have been OK giving them $5 on the regular which on this game would have been more than $100. Except no, they wanted whales.

421aee6986e10a74dbc52aae7c3965ac.gif

I still play that game, for free.
What was the game if you don't mind me asking?

CuNi

Is today international "Shit take Saturday" or did I miss something?
Also, how come it's always the trashy AAA-Devs that have such disconnected-from-reality takes?

A few more of such news and I will start buying Indie games just out of spite, so I don't have the money to even be tempted to buy Tripple-Shit games.

Deerock71

The reason why the industry is headed in the direction it is, is because of the attitude in this very thread.

When SP gamers are asked to spend more money they riot.

MP gamers like spending $20 dollars on a new skin.

Do not be confused as to why you're no longer being catered to SP gamers.
This is the reason why gen Z is experiencing a retro game revival, too.
Shooting Star GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is there a way to support Mike Ybarras overall point without it being interpreted as "intentionally poking people and getting away with it"?

Some of you need thicker skin. Having opposing viewpoints is something adults should embrace.
Has nothing to do with me needing thicker skin and if someone wants to agree with Mike its cool thats up to them

My point is we have several accounts here that are constantly allowed to harass the other camp and its written off as jokes or whatever, its just old and tiresome

Certain sites have lost a lot of appeal to be apart of because of this and close to be removed from my favorites tab or frequented sites (which I know no one cares)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've been using the same Mikasa flatware set for probably 15 years. And my Henckels knife set for around 5 years. Rock solid stuff and I use this stuff every day.

Sorry Mike. I have no intention of tipping them. Grift elsewhere. That's video game employees for ya,

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
See this is why the industry says shit like this. People like you
Not really understanding how giving the ability to send an optional tip is ruining anything? I also back kick starter campaigns and support early access games. If I'm the problem then maybe gaming just isn't for me anymore.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reality check: they would actually get paid even less and most of their salary would be based on tips, like every other job that has a tipping system.
So a SP studio would get paid LESS for reaching LARGER financial goals via multiple new revenue streams?

jesse-lee-peterson-amazin.gif

No Mike, we don’t want that American tipping shit in gaming. I already paid for your product. If you think your game is worth more then ask for more!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If it went directly to the devs, and not the publisher, I wouldnt mind. I respect and admire good art. I would tip the entire TLOU 2 staff for making one my fav entertainment products of all time

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My point is we have several accounts here that are constantly allowed to harass the other camp and its written off as jokes or whatever, its just old and tiresome

Certain sites have lost a lot of appeal to be apart of because of this and close to be removed from my favorites tab or frequented sites (which I know no one cares)
I'm no fan of the sophomoric mud slinging either but that seems par for the course in online discourse. I guess I partake in it to tone match more than anything. I'd much prefer we embrace the ability to disagree without calling others "snake oil salesmen", for example.

As far as your last point, I appreciate your presence here. There's roughly a dozen NeoGAF members that don't seem insane to me and you're one of them. Losing you would be a costly percentage drop.

Red5

You want me to tip Rockstar, Ubisoft or Sony? Multi-Million or even Billion dollar corporations? I'll happily tip an indie dev but tipping EA or Ubisoft on top of paying a premium for a luxury commodity is as stupid as it gets.

StereoVsn

If you read his post he's actually saying it as a way to reward the studios that don't nickel and dime you with MTX and lootboxes. A way to say thanks for a good game that didn't do these things. I'm not sure it will have the intended effect though.
They are charging $70+ for a game. That’s the reward. And again, any money would go to the publisher. I ain’t tipping multi billion $ corpos.

Top Bottom