• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials Are to Blame for America's Vacation Problem (Travel+Leisure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article itself buries at the end the report's analysis that millennials are beholden to economic pressures and that change needs to come from management.

The report also looks at many factors, including the burgeoning student loan debt that is plaguing a majority of America’s millennial workers, as well as the fact that many millennials entered the workforce during the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression.

How can the trend be reversed?
“To change this trend, it has to come from the top. We need bosses who know the value that time off can bring to an organization,” Denis says. “It costs nothing to tell workers it’s OK to take a vacation. It starts with simple encouragement and a reminder for employees to use their vacation days.”

But, gotta have stupid fucking clickbait headlines about millennials in a stupid fucking WASPy magazine.

gcubed

American Millennials, because of the USA's shitty vacation time policies.

I don't know 1 friend here in the UK that doesn't use their holiday hours, even if they don't go somewhere. They'll use it and just stay home watching Bargain Hunt and Judge Rinder. I'm entitled to 26 paid holidays days a year, you think I'm just gonna work that?

Now if I was in the USA and was somewhere were i didn't get paid for my vacation time? I probably would work through most of those hours. What a shitty way to treat employees.

This conversation is based on paid time off. People don't take paid leave. I have free time off, so it's unlimited. I take far fewer long weekends but more lengthy periods off, but I can definitely see how it encourages to not take days off

In some countries if you don't take your paid leave employers are forced to pay those days as overtime, which is much more expensive. So if you start stacking up too many days to the point you can't roll them to the next year they can basicaly force you to go on vacation.

The problem rests with employers, not employees. My work doesn't stop when I go on vacation. When I accrue vacation time, I will still get work put into my to-do list that I either have to rapidly clear before I leave, or do a lot of late days when I get back.

It's the nature of the world now.

Bingo. Going on vacation is great but it's usually not worth the avalanche of shit you have to deal with when you get back. I'd rather just keep working normal hours without vacation then go on a trip for a week and be doubly stressed when I get back staying late to play catchup the following week.

TheRed

Damn another thing to blame on millennials? I'm losing count of how many things are the fault of young people who had almost nothing to do with the direction of the world seeing as they were children while baby boomers were voting us into conservative Hell.
Yup. It's pretty annoying, and I get shit from family like I'm to blame for my life not being great (I am a little bit :p but I work hard.) I wish I was able to get a house and everything as easily as they could.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm heading to Secrets Capri on September 10th in Mexico. Super pumped. Haven't seen my wife since March so double the excitement.

secrets_capri.jpg

Last year I didn't get to go on a real vacation due to starting a new job in a different province so I'm really looking forward to this. I think it's important to get away once a year even if it's just camping in province/state. There's still cheap ways to have a good vacation.

Not sure about the US but in Canada it feels like 3 weeks (15 days) is standard vacation allotment in office jobs. It used to be 2 weeks (10 days) but seems to have increased at some point in the 90s.

Hazmat

I'm bummed reading about all the people who work in places that make taking vacations difficult. My boss insists on it. He even "made" me take a day off 4-5 months after I started when I was on a crazy demanding project. He told me I could take it off the books, and I countered with making it one of the many sick days that I knew I wouldn't use all of (I just didn't want the reporting of my hours to look weird).

Rked

I lived in Dubai i got 1 month off no complaints no questions asked (government mandated). I just moved back to the states and the whole work life balance thing here is embarrassing and depressing. Nothing beats one month off coming back refreshed and ready for work.. This whole work yourself to death is beyond counter productive

The article itself buries at the end the report's analysis that millennials are beholden to economic pressures and that change needs to come from management.

But, gotta have stupid fucking clickbait headlines about millennials in a stupid fucking WASPy magazine.

I was gonna say, there was a lot of correlation within the article without much examining what is causing all of this.

Synless

I use every single day of my 4 weeks vacation, my floating holidays and I use my sick days when I don't feel good. The rest of you millennials are crazy, use that shit.

FStubbs

I'm almost glad we are the heralds of the apocalypse.

Millennials are the first modern generation to...

Have a job market that typically requires a post-secondary degree for basic employment.
Have a post-secondary education system that puts the typical student in more debt than they can expect to make in entry-level salary.
Not be able to afford reasonable housing on a basic employment salary.
Simultaneously put themselves in massive debt by spending too much on frivolous niceties and not be spending enough to keep the frivolous nicety industry afloat.
Actually have to deal with the real effects of climate change.
Not be able to depend on Social Security and pensions to sustain post-retirement life.
Simultaneously not be able to afford health insurance and not be able to afford doctor's visits - with or without insurance.
Simultaneously be labeled as lazy and work more hours, take less time off, and have less benefits than previous generations.

And instead of the general response to that being "Holy fucking shit, we need to fix this!"; it's "Ugh, fucking millennials."

Excuse me while I prepare my pale horse.

How about being a Gen Xer where a lot of this same stuff was happening but no one even bothered to listen or pay attention? And then get blamed by Millenials for it along with the Boomers?

Liberty4all

Banned
How about being a Gen Xer where a lot of this same stuff was happening but no one even bothered to listen or pay attention? And then get blamed by Millenials for it along with the Boomers?

I've been noticing that lately too that Gen X is getting more and more lumped in with Boomers.

Gen X graduated into a job market that consisted of boomers in their 40s, prime working years, while simultaneously outsourcing was picking up. Imagine a 30 year stretch knowing all the best jobs are taken by boomers with no end in sight.

It meant that a lot of Gen Xers had delayed careers ... I know for myself I've finally broken into a career job (government) at 39 that a boomer could expect to land at 25.

This is part of the reason why Gen X has little patience when we hear 20 somethings complain. If there's any one thing that got pounded into our heads, both by boomers and our own life experiences, it was the concept of 'paying your dues'. It sucked for us too for many many years.

With that said, as more boomers finally exit the workplace things are finally looking up for Gen X ... Most of us have 10 - 20 years work experience and are positioned well to take some of those good paying jobs boomers held for years. And for Milennials this will hopefully mean more opportunity too ... Boomers are going to leave gaping holes in many companies and there's not enough Gen Xers to pick up the slack.

Are people buying them monthly?

I upgrade my phone about once every two years.

No but they're still expensive. I remember before getting an iPhone seemed like no big deal. Then I'm finally out of college, starting to pay for my own shit, and getting an iPhone on a two-year payment plan.

Now I'm starting to think "shit, do I really need something this expensive?"

I think our generation is a bit contradictory. There's work matryrdom and student loans but also the heightened state of social media, seeing everyones highlight reel, FOMO...it makes people act in weird ways. At least to me. I'm budgeting out my life, paying my bills, getting insurance, but going on instagram just makes me want to drop everything and buy something stupid.

I wouldn't chalk it up to millenials when these anti-worker rights measures were pushed forward since at least the 80's, Millenials just were born into them. The work martyrdom is an effect of the increasingly creeping of work into the life bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom