• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials Are to Blame for America's Vacation Problem (Travel+Leisure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we're definitely working long hours and never taking vacation because we value work over everything else.

It's not because of crippling debt, low wages, and understaffing. No sir.

Except that people aren't just not taking vacations, they aren't even taking their paid time off. Unless you're working a lot of overtime, you shouldn't be losing money by taking PTO.

Kurdel

Banned

Going to be interesting to see how big the list grows on things blamed specifically on millennials instead of, you know, the actual times we're living in.[/QUOTE]

If those articles are all like this one, that means they at least have some data to corroborate the claim.

Saying "if everyone blames millenials, it must mean they are all wrong" is pretty shallow way of assesing the impact millenials are having.

You could call it the United States of Blamerica. Let's take 50+ years of poor decisions and blame it on the most blameable of us.

Meanwhile, let's not question why five hundred and ninety eight billion dollars were spent on defense last year. Let's not question that.

Considering the majority of people in Congress and the House of Reps are baby boomers, and they pretty much decide where money is going. Yes, the baby boomers are most likely at fault.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Many companies have reported that people take less vacation when it's unlimited. One of the reasons I've seen is that it becomes too informal, so people don't know how to broach it.

Unlimited vacation is a bookkeeping scheme, only people who benefit is the company who no longer has to pay out accrued vacation.

5oLI3oK.jpg

Breads

Banned
If those articles are all like this one, that means they at least have some data to corroborate the claim.

Saying "if everyone blames millenials, it must mean they are all wrong" is pretty shallow way of assesing the impact millenials are having.

I never said "if everyone blames millenials, it must mean they are all wrong" nor are you paraphrasing what I said. You just made that up. I am not a man of straw. Do not make me out as one.

My issue is with the click bait nature of the titles and the style of writing in a lot of these articles. Articles that used to be articles on a subject are now framed as "millenials are ruining [blank]" which is reductive and dumb when the context is much more complex than that. One of the ones in the image I used called millenials "promiscuous" while blaming them for killing McDonalds and within the article they call them "sluts" just because millenials exhibit less brand loyalty compared to older demographics while there simply exists more options today than there was a decade ago.

This I have issue with. It was cute at first. Now it's memes in journalism. If the article was framed as "Issues that are currently happening" then I might be more inclined to read it. Articles framed as "millenials are ruining [blank]" make me cringe.

hermit7

Unlimited vacation is a bookkeeping scheme, only people who benefit is the company who no longer has to pay out accrued vacation.

Eh I get unlimited vacation but am salaried so I will get paid regardless.

I guess if I were to leave there would be a difference in being paid out based on unused vacation but that may be for hourly employees only anyways.

Lmo911

Except that people aren't just not taking vacations, they aren't even taking their paid time off. Unless you're working a lot of overtime, you shouldn't be losing money by taking PTO.

Modern work culture just isn't like that now. I mean sure you have time to take off, but when? You could just take it if you want, but then you aren't there when something needs to be done. Suddenly instead of "he never takes time off!" it's "I can't believe he left us hanging here like this!" It's a side effect of making everyone do the jobs of two/three people. You have a reason for it and it's a good one, but the social implications in an over worked environment will bleed through.

Our culture is very "what have you done for me lately" and in a job environment where you can be quickly replaced, it's creates paranoia.

it's pretty rough. like, last year i finally worked a job where i earned paid vacation days, by the end of last year i had accrued almost two weeks worth. turns out i only ended using one paid day off just to make a border run to renew my work permit (US citizen working in canada). when i left, my HR person was asking me "what!? you have all these vacation days! how come you didn't take them?" and i just kind of like nervously laughed. felt pretty bad, but they did pay the remaining days out to me at the end of the year. i regret it now because i wish i could have maybe taken a trip somewhere, would have been nice.

Thorgal

There is a saying we have here :

"I work to live" not " I live to work "

Those words are sacred to me

Luckily I have 20 days + 8 paid days off a year .

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Babyboomers ruin everything, group that has to deal with the problem given all the blame.

100% this.

Millennials aren't the ones putting the pressure on themselves to skip vacation days.

charsace

The fuck do people want from folks born 1980 or later? I'm in debt up to my neck. Hate these articles from people who don't look at the big picture.

Toki767

I get 15 days a year and unlimited sick days.

My company does encourage work/life balance though so I don't feel too bad talking time off most of the time.

Nipo

Yup. There was a study that people who work at companies with unlimited pto take less time off than industry average.

Where is the data to back this up?

Millennials have far less purchasing power than any generation before them because real wage growth has been stagnant since the Reagan era. Combined with the fact that there are more "necessities" to modern life, such as internet bill, cell phone bill, self-paid insurance (in the past your workplace paid 100% of your health insurance and retirement).

Millennials are significantly more debt adverse than any generation before them. You claiming they rack up debt to fund their luxury lifestyle is straight-up wrong.

So again, show me the receipts for your opinion.

The only millennials I know that are living high on the hog are ones that have wealthy families that are footing the bill.

Most millennials can't even afford to go to the dentist or doctor.

Also your comment on redecoration - wow. Most people furnish their homes with hand me down stuff or crap they scrounged from Goodwill and Craigslist. You are living good if you can afford some Ikea mixed in. Just look at the gaming setup thread here on NeoGAF. The vast majority are using old stuff or Ikea/Walmart furniture. Nothing wrong with that but a far cry from your claims.

Neither internet bills nor cellphone bills are necessities. Yes, life is increasingly difficult to manage without both, but they are not necessary for survival the way food utilities and shelter are.

As for your points about a gaming setup having to lower to using IKEA and Walmart furniture, come on bro. You can't be that dense.

injurai

Banned
The fuck do people want from folks born 1980 or later? I'm in debt up to my neck. Hate these articles from people who don't look at the big picture.

In the past, if debt based economies became too bloated, the people would rise up and demand unfair debts to be cleared. But in our modern "civil" society that is no longer the case.

Fluvian

Banned
Who actually cares? god I hate time off, just sitting around hoping I die, at least at work I can distract myself from my horrible existence.

Cyan

Banned
What happened to being lazy, entitled, and wanting participation trophies for showing up? Millennials need to make up their damn minds already.

BlueEyedBeast

Neo Member
I remember about a year and a half ago I was working somewhere where there was literally not enough staff to cover the organizations daily duties, let alone allow employees any time off. I recall days when people would call in sick and I would literally work frantically to try to cover their operations (which I depended on to do MY job). It was almost impossible for me to sit still during lunch because every minute I just sat there was a minute I fell further behind.

It reached the point where I had to resign to myself that I wasn't doing anything wrong: the work just could not feasibly be completed in the provided circumstances.

Luckily Ive since moved to a better job with a better working environment, but I can still see traces of higher ups trying to squeeze every last drop of usefulness out of each employee (by keeping required company quotas the same despite losing employees and not increasing wages).

Guilty.

I have 300+ hours of saved vacation. I'm the only one that can do the things I do at work. And if I take a vacation, things pile up and sh!t hits the fan. So while I'm "encouraged" to take vacation, I can't really do much of that. And at the same time, as much as it sounds contradictory, they can get rid of me with someone after training someone for 6-8 months.

I work extremely long hours. I'm doing my MBA so I can become more "valuable" to the company. I have spent almost no time with my family this past two weeks. My son keeps coming to me to spend time with me. Plus, I had to empty my entire life savings to get my home. So I'm a little on-edge about money.

I'm 34 years old and I take blood pressure medication due to all the stress.

Piggus

I live and work in the US and I can save up to 500 hrs of PTO if I want. I currently have 90 hrs saved but I've taken 6 weeks of vacation so far this year, two of those were taken 2 weeks consecutively. By Xmas I'll have around 200 hours in the bank again.

#notallamericans

Seriously, this. People act like PTO is a rare thing here. It's not.

My company pushes people to use their PTO since they realize that an occasional break is healthy and helps keep stress down. We get a large lump sum of hours at the start of the year to use how we want, and hours carry over to an extent.

The thing I really don't understand about people not taking vacation is why not just give yourself a three day weekend or four if you want to push it. It's not like you need to go all out and take a whole week or two off at once.

Crosseyes

Banned

My company pushes people to use their PTO since they realize that an occasional break is healthy and helps keep stress down. We get a large lump sum of hours at the start of the year to use how we want, and hours carry over to an extent.
Well at least some people can live comfortably in America. 10 days for sick days or vacation combined for me. Wanna take vacation? Well roll the dice and hope you don't get sick and need those days later!

Fox Mulder

I'm about to take 10 days and feel like an asshole.

Work environments pretty much discourage taking vacations because everyone is already overworked, and only get more dumped on when people are off.

Opto

Banned
Blame at-will work contracts and a lack of leverage from employees. I can be fired for any reason that doesn't involve certain groups protections.

entremet

The article doesn't say it's rare. It's saying Millenials aren't taking them for presumable job security reasons.

cdyhybrid

That's why I mentioned understaffing. Many companies try and scrape by with as few employees as possible to cut costs and this makes taking a vacation less attractive since you'll just come back to an absolute mess.

American Millennials, because of the USA's shitty vacation time policies.

I don't know 1 friend here in the UK that doesn't use their holiday hours, even if they don't go somewhere. They'll use it and just stay home watching Bargain Hunt and Judge Rinder. I'm entitled to 26 paid holidays days a year, you think I'm just gonna work that?

Now if I was in the USA and was somewhere were i didn't get paid for my vacation time? I probably would work through most of those hours. What a shitty way to treat employees.

Bio-Frost

Meh, I use my PTO whenever I want as long as I ok it with my boss. Who also believes people should take breaks. Pretty lucky in that regard.

Lexad

I get 3 weeks of vacation and I am constantly near zero. I am hoping this next year I can save up some vacation to do some longer stuff (maybe go to Europe).

I have a sneaking suspicion that Millennials wouldn't be getting blamed for everything if they controlled the media instead of the Baby Boomers.

I use my PTO because my company doesn't roll over or compensate PTO accumulated above the cap. I can leave PTO I've accumulated below the cap sitting there forever though which is nice when I'm saving up for longer vacations.

nel e nel

I agree with everthing except for the job security point. There's never been job security, it's largely a myth because baby boomers grew up in a time of economic prosperity while the rest of the world was rebuilding after WWII. Auto companies began moving production overseas in the 30s and 40s, and we've also had the dot com crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom