• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials Are to Blame for America's Vacation Problem (Travel+Leisure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, let me just ask my boss for more leave time and a raise so I can afford a vacation with all my student loan debt. That won't result in me being quickly replaced for the next young buck out of school.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
eh I get 4 weeks off a year but on average I've only taken about 3 days a year.

That said, I've now got like 4 months worth of leave built up and I'm going to be forced to take leave. I won't really know what to do with myself.

IvanJ

Banned
One thing I've learned from GAF is crazy vacation practices in the US workplace, so I am not surprised by them anymore.

Here I am depressed because I need to go to my office tomorrow, I haven't been there since June 15th.

Sure, let me just ask my boss for more leave time and a raise so I can afford a vacation with all my student loan debt. That won't result in me being quickly replaced for the next young buck out of school.

You don't have to go anywhere to take your vacation days. Why are so many people spouting this line?

Ahasverus

Given that I'm eyeing some countries to emigrate to in the median term, this is the thing that scares me the most about working in the US. They country is great, I love it blah blah blah but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be slaved for a few bucks. I'd rather settle with a lower wage in Canada. Let's see what I can get.

Tabris

When I was abroad in Asia and Middle East, I didn't meet many American tourists at all.

Western tourists were mainly Australians, Canadians, Germans, Scandinavians, Swiss, Belgians, and Dutch. Lots of Russians in Dubai.

From my anecdotal experience both being abroad and talking to a lot of Americans, they seem to rarely travel outside the US, and when they do it's for a single backpack trip to Europe. Not sure on the actual statistics though.

VariantX

Last I checked, if people aren't taking their vacations, its more likely a work culture problem. And people at the top are likely dictating what that culture is. Those folks are not likely to be millenials yet.

When I was abroad in Asia and Middle East, I didn't meet many American tourists at all.

Western tourists were mainly Australians, Canadians, Germans, Scandinavians, Swiss, Belgians, and Dutch. Lots of Russians in Dubai.

From my anecdotal experience both being abroad and talking to a lot of Americans, they seem to rarely travel outside the US, and when they do it's for a single backpack trip to Europe. Not sure on the actual statistics though.

America is so big and varied that it is kinda pointless to visit other countries. You'd really only do it to visit historical landmarks if you don't have family there. Otherwise, just travel to a different part of the US.

Ah, yes, of course the Great Scapegoat Generation is to blame for everything, even shit they literally weren't around for when it happened. If only they could stop being so lazy and work hard, but not work too hard and take it easy sometimes and spend money on holidays they likely can't afford because of a lifelong commitment to paying off their enormous student loans whilst also saving up for a house previous generations wouldn't have paid half as much for.

It always cracks me up that millenials work low wage jobs without any benefits and they are constantly being exploited. They should get real jobs like their parents.

Tabris

America is so big and varied that it is kinda pointless to visit other countries. You'd really only do it to visit historical landmarks if you don't have family there. Otherwise, just travel to a different part of the US.

This is such a bad sentiment though. Because one of the major points of visiting other countries is to experience a different culture and broaden your horizons.

studyguy

I took one half day my first year at my current job. On the last day if work. Because my HR forced me to lol.

I took a week off last year. Never again.

This is such a bad sentiment though. Because one of the major points of visiting other countries is to experience a different culture and broaden your horizons.

America is a melting pot. We have some many varied cultures here. It's not homogenous like other countries.

I'd take vacation, but I only have three PTO days. Saving those for concerts or the days after concerts.

I spent so many years temping and having ZERO PTO days becuase it's all I could find that I've never had a real vacation since I was...I dunno, in high school and went on one with my parents.

If I'm around long enough at the new job to get more PTO though, I'll def be planning something. Would like to visit some friends in CA or TX.

spuckthew

I want to move to the States at some point with my American girlfriend, but my biggest fear in doing so is the reduced time off and the perceived mentality that you can never (or rarely) clock off.

I get 25 days (with an additional 8 public holidays) with my company in the UK, and the rest of Europe is pretty similar regarding time off too (some countries have fewer working hours to boot).

---

I can kind of see someone not using the entirety of their PTO if they had ~25 or more days available (I've been reminded twice in previous years towards the end of the year that I have a few days left to take), but when you only get 10 or 12? Take a fucking vacation goddamnit.

Tabris

America is a melting pot. We have some many varied cultures here. It's not homogenous like other countries.

I've been to half of the US states (inc NY city), and live in Vancouver, which close to half the population is Asian demographics. It's not at all the same.

Going to Koreatown in Manhattan is nothing at all like being in Seoul for example.

Generation that came after another generation doing things that aren't the norm: News at a 11

While there is a legit work martyrdom problem right now (I blame SV), I bet if you looked at other generations you'd see wide sweeping trends too.

watershed

Banned
Not denying that millennials are taking less vacation or facing more pressure to work more than previous generations, but US work culture has been toxic for employees for a long time now. The fact is US workers take less vacation days than workers in other countries and have done so for generations.

I think labor laws, almost non-existent guaranteed vacation/leave time, bad work culture and an overall workaholic social mentality are to blame. Then heap on financial instability and pressure on top of that to make matters worse.

I treasure my time off and will make full use of my sick days/leave time as best I can. Getting out of the work mentality is super important to me.

vypek

eh I get 4 weeks off a year but on average I've only taken about 3 days a year.

That said, I've now got like 4 months worth of leave built up and I'm going to be forced to take leave. I won't really know what to do with myself.

Will they force you to take all 4 months at once?

Fuck that. I use all my vacation, personal and sick time. That's like 3 weeks paid off and it doesn't roll over.

I tend not to use sick time as much even though I should. No kind of your rolls over for me either unless it's a very special reason which would almost never apply for me. I'm all for taking time off. The bulk of my time will be in December. I'll have nearly the whole month off

I've been to half of the US states (inc NY city), and live in Vancouver, which close to half the population is Asian demographics. It's not at all the same.

Going to Koreatown in Manhattan is nothing at all like being in Seoul for example.

how can a Vancouverite afford vacations when their rent and mortgage are unafforadble?

tokkun

Ah, yes, of course the Great Scapegoat Generation is to blame for everything, even shit they literally weren't around for when it happened. If only they could stop being so lazy and work hard, but not work too hard and take it easy sometimes and spend money on holidays they likely can't afford because of a lifelong commitment to paying off their enormous student loans whilst also saving up for a house previous generations wouldn't have paid half as much for.

Tale as old as time. There is nothing special about a generation getting criticized as it enters dominance of mainstream culture in an uncertain time. In the 1970s, the Boomers were constantly scapegoated as the "Me Generation".

Gen X got off lightly since the 90s were a pretty optimistic decade, but they were still criticized pretty heavily as being slackers who were uninterested in participating in society.

My company does PTO, 15 days for entry level employees (an additional 5 for every 5 years with the company up to I think 25). It's a good number of days but there is no difference between sick and personal, and they don't carry over. But they absolutely want you to use them and they are all available the first day of the year, so some people take serious time off around Christmas/New Years. Thankfully my company is also pushing cross training so time off is truly time off. It's a small company and employee engagement is very important and they don't want to burn people.

I'm 31, and I use all of my vacation every year.

However, I come into work early every single day (my department has a "scorecard" meeting at 7:50). I work until at least 5:30 every day, and I work through most lunches.

Am I part of the problem or part of the solution? I take my vacation because I want to spend time with my wife and kids, I work hard and late so that I can get my projects done.

zero_suit

I'm 31, and I use all of my vacation every year.

However, I come into work early every single day (my department has a "scorecard" meeting at 7:50). I work until at least 5:30 every day, and I work through most lunches.

Am I part of the problem or part of the solution? I take my vacation because I want to spend time with my wife and kids, I work hard and late so that I can get my projects done.

No. You would be part of the problem if you did all that and never used vacation time.

I love how every industry is trying to blame millennials for everything instead of trying to adapt to their new customer base. Baby boomers fucked this country big time and were trying to pick up the pieces.

Eidt: Im 32 so im still classified as a millennial, I work 9-10 hours a day Monday-Friday but I make sure to use all my vacation time every year. I get 4 weeks vacation and 6 personal days a year, I use all of it.

kswiston

How many millenials were really entering the workforce in 2000? I am a 1982 kid, which makes me among the oldest of that cohort and I was still in grade 12 when the millenium was rung in. None of the millenials would have been through college yet.

2000 drops would have been the tail end of the previous generation laying the foundations of their careers.

Mathieran

Banned
I use my vacation but I feel bad about it. When I'm off most of my work gets spread around to everyone else so I always feel guilty. This especially comes into play for sick time. Never take any sick days for myself, because I have kids so any sick days I use are for them.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I get 15 vacation days + 1 floating holiday, and 10 days for national holidays. I've either used or scheduled all but one day off this year. Also, I don't need to take sick leave, I just tell my boss I'm working from home and that's it.

So maybe it's shitty companies with shitty corporate culture and not my generation?

bozeman

My bank REQUIRES that all us investment and managers take 5 consecutive PTO days.

Not sure where you're at but at the bank where I work every employee is required to take 5 consecutive PTO days bookended by weekends. The reason is that if you're doing something shady, it's likely to be caught while you're off and unable to get into the system.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Only work martyrs that I know work like they do because they believe it will get them to earning big money someday. Mostly actuaries and young CPAs really chasing that future partnership (good luck). I'm personally an accountant and, generally speaking, nobody trusts an accountant that won't take vacation so it's never been an issue for me.

The study also showed that only 16% of Millenials have management that discourages taking vacation time which kinda jives with what I've observed personally in my life and my friends lives. I don't think many are actively discouraged from taking time off (the study also shows that Millenial managers are bigger supporters of their direct reports taking time off than other generations).

I do wonder if being a work martyr is more prevalent in certain industries. The only IT people I personally know work for one of the world's largest corporations either directly or as an independent business dependent on said corporation. However based on all the horror stories that are on the internet, I suspect that maybe it's different in other places in the country in that field. The other fields where my peers work are all middle management in medical sales, engineering, oil and gas, and agriculture...everyone takes vacation except the workaholic actuaries and CPAs.

tl;dr = Are certain industries and occupations more susceptible to work martyrism and how much of it is people believing that it'll land them some high paying job in the future?

Headline: Millennials, now that the extremely broad classification covers most working-age adults, are responsible for basically everything except politics and playground injuries.

Shocking.

Swig_

I struggle with this. I work for a great company that really cares about their employees. I can take time off basically whenever I want, for however long I want (as long as I have the PTO) and they have many other awesome benefits. But I could probably make more money if I leave them and find a different job. Not that the money I make is bad, but I could probably get a significant raise by leaving.

Do I make more money or enjoy a relatively stress-free workplace that actually cares about employees?

All these "millennials are killing XXX" articles make sense when you realize its just click bait and their target audience for these articles is millennials.

Aren't they supposed to be the most narcissistic generation? Of course they would love to read how much they are affecting/killing/causing these other issues.

For such a tech savvy generation to not pick up on this is amazing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Taken some of my days this year. Did a week at the beach this summer. Then one or two other days when I needed to get some personal shit done.

Will bank the rest I have to use around the Holidays. Probably use one for BF to have a 4 day weekend. Then use whatever I got left around Xmas.

Grimalkin

I can't speak for American culture as an authority as I do not live there, but I do think rampant consumerism is also a factor.

Obviously its foolish to tar people with broad brushes, but I do feel the millennial generation are less reluctant to give up their luxury goods and activities unless they absolutely have to.

This in turn leads to more people being in debt to fund lifrstyles they can't afford, which in turn leads to having to work every hour under the sun to get by.

Compare that to our parents generation where many people would forgo creature comforts just to service their bills, even if it made them miserable. I'm sure you all have aunts and uncles that have homes that haven't seen a lick of redecoration for 30 some years:- something that seems almost alien now.

Where is the data to back this up?

Millennials have far less purchasing power than any generation before them because real wage growth has been stagnant since the Reagan era. Combined with the fact that there are more "necessities" to modern life, such as internet bill, cell phone bill, self-paid insurance (in the past your workplace paid 100% of your health insurance and retirement).

Millennials are significantly more debt adverse than any generation before them. You claiming they rack up debt to fund their luxury lifestyle is straight-up wrong.

So again, show me the receipts for your opinion.

The only millennials I know that are living high on the hog are ones that have wealthy families that are footing the bill.

Most millennials can't even afford to go to the dentist or doctor.

Also your comment on redecoration - wow. Most people furnish their homes with hand me down stuff or crap they scrounged from Goodwill and Craigslist. You are living good if you can afford some Ikea mixed in. Just look at the gaming setup thread here on NeoGAF. The vast majority are using old stuff or Ikea/Walmart furniture. Nothing wrong with that but a far cry from your claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom