• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials Are to Blame for America's Vacation Problem (Travel+Leisure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
Fortunately people at my company use up all of their vacation time. My manager has been with the company for 30+ years and has been on vacation for like 30 days in the last 3 months.

This is such a bad sentiment though. Because one of the major points of visiting other countries is to experience a different culture and broaden your horizons.

Not worth the extra $500-1000 and 8-12 hour plane ride usually

US has access to a lot of variety of climates and locations from short plane rides or even car trips. I mean, the cultural aspect is nice but its a lot of extra cost/time. You could spend that extra day of travel and and money in a more local area on other things.

entremet

Not worth the extra $500-1000 and 8-12 hour plane ride usually

US has access to a lot of variety of climates and locations from short plane rides or even car trips. I mean, the cultural aspect is nice but its a lot of extra cost/time. You could spend that extra day of travel and and money in a more local area on other things.

As someone that has traveled a lot overseas and domestically, I do think it the extra 1000 is worth it.

Staying domestic alone is really limiting your experiences.

I can't speak for American culture as an authority as I do not live there, but I do think rampant consumerism is also a factor.

Obviously its foolish to tar people with broad brushes, but I do feel the millennial generation are less reluctant to give up their luxury goods and activities unless they absolutely have to.

This in turn leads to more people being in debt to fund lifrstyles they can't afford, which in turn leads to having to work every hour under the sun to get by.

Compare that to our parents generation where many people would forgo creature comforts just to service their bills, even if it made them miserable. I'm sure you all have aunts and uncles that have homes that haven't seen a lick of redecoration for 30 some years:- something that seems almost alien now.

Damn, must be nice to be able to afford a home.

entremet

Where is the data to back this up?

Millennials have far less purchasing power than any generation before them because real wage growth has been stagnant since the Reagan era. Combined with the fact that there are more "necessities" to modern life, such as internet bill, cell phone bill, self-paid insurance (in the past your workplace paid 100% of your health insurance and retirement).

Millennials are significantly more debt adverse than any generation before them. You claiming they rack up debt to fund their luxury lifestyle is straight-up wrong.

So again, show me the receipts for your opinion.

The only millennials I know that are living high on the hog are ones that have wealthy families that are footing the bill.

Most millennials can't even afford to go to the dentist or doctor.

Also your comment on redecoration - wow. Most people furnish their homes with hand me down stuff or crap they scrounged from Goodwill and Craigslist. You are living good if you can afford some Ikea mixed in. Just look at the gaming setup thread here on NeoGAF. The vast majority are using old stuff or Ikea/Walmart furniture. Nothing wrong with that but a far cry from your claims.

Yeah, the myth that millennials are consumer whores is a myth. The data doesn't pan out. So much so that Millenials are being blamed for some industries starting to decline to due their lack of participation!

gatti-man

Babyboomers ruin everything, group that has to deal with the problem given all the blame.

True. I'm not a millennial and I can plainly see millennials have been given a shit stick. Opportunities across the board aren't the same now as they were 20 years ago for people in their 20s. Why aren't they vacationing? That takes money, extra money. If millennials aren't buying cars they certainly aren't going to Disney world.

I'm thankful my company offers unlimited vacation and encourages us to use it. Ultimately I am always available when I'm out of the office which maybe is a bad thing but I like to be reachable and willing to help.

I feel bad for those who have less than 10 days. It's just not enough time.

Grimalkin

I struggle with this. I work for a great company that really cares about their employees. I can take time off basically whenever I want, for however long I want (as long as I have the PTO) and they have many other awesome benefits. But I could probably make more money if I leave them and find a different job. Not that the money I make is bad, but I could probably get a significant raise by leaving.

Do I make more money or enjoy a relatively stress-free workplace that actually cares about employees?

Do you need more money? If you switched jobs to make more, what would you do with the extra money? Keep in mind it won't really be that much more because taxes - unless you are going to double or triple your income by switching.

Making more money just to make more money doesn't really get you anywhere. Statistically you will end up spending it on crap. But if you have a specific goal in mind it might be worth it.

Personally speaking if I got a low stress job where I could actually take time off and it paid me enough that I could pay all of my bills I would keep it. My personal viewpoint is that time is more valuable than money so I'd rather have more time than more money.

ezrarh

It's naive to think you're irreplaceable. Everybody is replaceable. It's also not in a business' best interest to design a process around one single person.

I left my left job where I did really well and would have had opportunities to get bigger promotions for a new place in a much different field for a lot more vacation time. Fortunately my take home pay is about the same. I've been fortunate enough to pay off most of my debt (except mortgage) so at this point, I definitely balance out vacation, job duties, stress level, and money and not just money.

Hazmat

This article is horseshit. Millenials have seen a small recession after 9/11 and then a huge one (that disproportionately affected us) after 2008. Take that uncertainty, add in stagnant wages, student debt, the absurd increases in the cost of buying a house, and the furthering mentality that your job is a 24/7 commitment due to the availability provided by laptops, email, and cell phones and it's no wonder many of us don't enough vacations.

I haven't taken all of mine the last two years, but it rolls over so I haven't lost anything. Millenials are the worst lazy workaholics ever.

Nipo

America is so big and varied that it is kinda pointless to visit other countries. You'd really only do it to visit historical landmarks if you don't have family there. Otherwise, just travel to a different part of the US.

Spoken like someone who hasn't traveled much internationally. Visiting internal locations is completely different than what you get in the US.

Grimalkin

Millennials should just pool their financial resources and do modern communes lol.

They basically are on a micro scale. If they did research I would not at all be surprised to find out most millennials are living with 3+ roommates if they are living outside of the parental home.

I really worry about what sort of future is left. What on earth is the job market going to be like in 2030?

I'll be honest.

I'm a millennial and I havent used any of my v vacation time this year. But that's becuase there is pressure at my company not to use them

BajiBoxer

Banned
Generation Y has created an era of “work martyrdom” in the U.S., a new study reveals.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/travel-trends/millennial-work-vacation-problem

Some quick refutation to this article since I'm both at the older end of this group and have hired those in younger end.

-This is the Generation that saw the 08 collapse. They know that employment isn't guaranteed, nor is job security. So how do they react, they're paranoid. They try to make themselves indispensable. And American work culture rewards these people.

-Many of these kids have ridiculous student debt that they can never bankrupt. They're living with their parents and some can't even afford moving out with roommates due to their student loan debt. How are they're gonna afford fancy vacations?

-A good portion of the new job opportunities are in the start up sector, which tends to breed very unhealthy work/life balance.

It almost seems that these blame Millennial articles forget to see how the world has changed:

Housing is more expensive.
Jobs have moved to urban centers which are more expensive to live.
Wages haven't really grown much since the 70s.
Companies can layoff and fire at will.
College itself is amalgamation of academics and job training. It serves too many masters and does the latter poorly.

How else will a working population react when they're up their eyeballs in debt, could barely afford rent, are scared to death if they do lose their jobs, and see things like marriage, family and homeownership very far goals?

A few generations a couple could buy a home out of HS (not college) and support one on single income. Your job was pretty guaranteed unless you were a fuck up and you could retire with comfort. They were playing life on Easy Mode.

So don't blame Millennials here. They're acting very rationally given these new realities.

Your response mirrors what I was going to say. I'm also at that genx/millineal transition age group, and it's crazy the amount of undeserved flak millineals get as a whole.

Also wanted to add how screwy it is how vacation time is calculated for some companies, especially for lower wage positions. At my workplace it's accumulated throughout the year despite being told you get 1 week, 2 weeks, etc (based on years with the company). And it doesn't roll over. So every year, unless I take vacation right at the end, I will either lose some vacation time, or will lose part of a day's wages like if I take a vacation day with only 5 hours accumulated.

entremet

I'll be honest.

I'm a millennial and I havent used any of my v vacation time this year. But that's becuase there is pressure at my company not to use them

Get another job. Start hunting now.

No one says, "I wish I would have spent more time at the office" on their deathbed.

Everyone takes vacation at my job. Which is expected as it doesn't carry over. If they don't want folks taking time then offer the time to carry over each year.

Even then can't get shocked that they use their time they earned.

Zoe

I'm thankful my company offers unlimited vacation and encourages us to use it. Ultimately I am always available when I'm out of the office which maybe is a bad thing but I like to be reachable and willing to help.

I feel bad for those who have less than 10 days. It's just not enough time.
Many companies have reported that people take less vacation when it's unlimited. One of the reasons I've seen is that it becomes too informal, so people don't know how to broach it.

FStubbs

They basically are on a micro scale. If they did research I would not at all be surprised to find out most millennials are living with 3+ roommates if they are living outside of the parental home.

I really worry about what sort of future is left. What on earth is the job market going to be like in 2030?

If it ends up being THAT grim forget the Bernie Revolution. You'd have a "CEOs getting shot in the streets" revolution.

Though I guess that's why companies like Blackwater exist.

legbone

The problem at my job is if you decide to take a vacation you are still expected to make quota for that month. They will not prorate. They say "that is why we average the months". So if you take a week off you have to bust your ass to make it up somewhere else. When people say government employees (don't ask because i had rather not disclose exactly what i do and which government i work for) have it easy, i think to myself "not all government employees", just the ones at the top.

I lose probably 40 hours of vacation each year, and that's with taking a day here and there to whittle it down (i get about 12 hours per month of vacation time added to my total each month, and it will soon go to 14 hours).

I donate it to a leave bank for people that don't have enough sick leave and come down with some catastrophic illness. I figure i can use my vacation time when i have a stroke from the stress of my job and not getting enough vacations and run out of sick leave (i already have several stress related illnesses due to 18 years of working in a toxic stress environment).

I get 10 days annually and can carry over 5 each year. I lose the other 5 if i don't use it which my bosses have specifically said is so you have to take it and get out of the office.

It's a small company that's out of the start up phase and the partners actually really do care about your well being and a good work life balance. I feel like I hit the lottery with this job.

they also gave us sick days recently too instead of having the pto be pooled and i'm happy about that.

sinxtanx

Millennials should just pool their financial resources and do modern communes lol.

millenial in 3.5 person household, can confirm (one guy is living here temporarily while they look for an apartment)

opportunities just aren't around

If it ends up being THAT grim forget the Bernie Revolution. You'd have a "CEOs getting shot in the streets" revolution.

Though I guess that's why companies like Blackwater exist.

eh

sharing economy is growing, this generation will just replace the boomer's economic system with our own

with blockchain tech people might decide to set up more accurate democracies too

Boomers complain about how lazy we are and how we want "work life balance." Hmm... I wonder why millennial a wouldn't be taking heir vacation...

Akainu

wait but I thought millennials were lazy. are they both lazy and hard working?

Just like those lazy mexicans stealing all the jobs.
cPCaHNs.png

Going to be interesting to see how big the list grows on things blamed specifically on millennials instead of, you know, the actual times we're living in.

What. Are millennials fucking in McDonald's?

hermit7

I get unlimited vacation so long as I don't "abuse" it. I don't hardly take it though because I schedule myself and take days off or schedule light days if I don't want to work too much.

I could plan a week vacation and not break a sweat but I typically just plan half days if I need or want the time.

Overall I am pretty happy with the job and enjoy the flexibility so no complaints from me.

Right, the problem are the millennials, not a lack of clear federal / states guidelines of how employers should provide time off for their employees.

I think the major problem with this article is that it barely touches service industry jobs or the vast majority of jobs where there are no vacation days.

I personally can't take vacation days because I have none at either job and can't take any time off from one of them due to the position. I get to sleep in on Sundays, that's my vacation. And then back to work at 9pm. I'd take a third job to fill some of the time between my other two, but I kinda need the downtime.

Too bad the cash isn't great.

Crosseyes

Banned
Yeah let me get right on that. Just actually had to cancel my honeymoon to Disney with my wife after having no wedding after the realities of this poisoned society hit me hard after being fired from my place.

Let me get right on that trip with a maxed credit card, overdue student loans that are better off ignored (let that bubble burst and make the incoming recession sort that out) and enough money in the bank to cover only next months rent while I job search.

Even if you have to sit at home. Take your vacation days, damn.

Its free money to do what you want, Its crazy how people sell themselves short

legbone

Right, the problem are the millennials, not a lack of clear federal / states guidelines of how employers should provide time off for their employees.

I agree. Unfortunately, in the US, the american way is blaming a section of the population for the problems with the american way instead of changing the system. If that makes sense.

I'm almost glad we are the heralds of the apocalypse.

Millennials are the first modern generation to...

Have a job market that typically requires a post-secondary degree for basic employment.
Have a post-secondary education system that puts the typical student in more debt than they can expect to make in entry-level salary.
Not be able to afford reasonable housing on a basic employment salary.
Simultaneously put themselves in massive debt by spending too much on frivolous niceties and not be spending enough to keep the frivolous nicety industry afloat.
Actually have to deal with the real effects of climate change.
Not be able to depend on Social Security and pensions to sustain post-retirement life.
Simultaneously not be able to afford health insurance and not be able to afford doctor's visits - with or without insurance.
Simultaneously be labeled as lazy and work more hours, take less time off, and have less benefits than previous generations.

And instead of the general response to that being "Holy fucking shit, we need to fix this!"; it's "Ugh, fucking millennials."

Excuse me while I prepare my pale horse.

Cutebrute

My bank REQUIRES that all us investment and managers take 5 consecutive PTO days.

I work at a bank as a Teller and we have that requirement too. The problem for me is that there is only one other Teller and I am often working by myself because of various reasons. I've only used 1 full vacation day out of 10 because we don't have the staff to afford missing someone in such a front-facing customer service position. My boss bitches at me about not refreshing myself and taking time off, but I've had multiple vacation time requests denied due to our staffing issue. I literally cannot take a week despite it being a requirement.

And I've been told that I will not be promoted in the next year because they don't want to move me up until they abolish the Teller position enitrely, so I'm busting my ass for no reward to my long term career goals. The only way to win in this situation is to leave the company outright.

I definitely do this, as do most of my other college friends. It's only way we make enough money to save anything for the future, but many of us still can't afford to save and also live a little.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
First millennials don't use napkins anymore and now they don't want to go on vacation. Self absorbed bastards!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
America is so big and varied that it is kinda pointless to visit other countries. You'd really only do it to visit historical landmarks if you don't have family there. Otherwise, just travel to a different part of the US.
Have you actually traveled to another country or you just talking out your ass? I've been to most corners of the US and it's NOTHING like traveling to a foreign country.

cPCaHNs.png

Going to be interesting to see how big the list grows on things blamed specifically on millennials instead of, you know, the actual times we're living in.

Ahh yes because most millennials I know choose to wipe off their face with the insides of their shirt rather than using a napkin.

Window

Millennials are to blame for shitty economics policies of the last 50 years exactly how? They've become job slaves for necessity, it's not some "hip" thing. This article is disgusting.

To be fair the article does not attach some intrinsic quality to millennials and actually does acknowledge possible factors which maybe causing this change in preferences. The headline is terrible though and seems to be an attempt to fit in with the recent trend of other such articles. I wonder who website's biggest reader demographic is.

The article is really not as accusatory as the reaction it seems to have received. Seems more like an advert for the tourism industry (disguised as a news piece) reminding people to take a break/vacation.

Late Flag

I think this is really an American thing, not a millennial thing. Americans as a group have been working more hours and taking fewer vacation days than Europeans for decades. This isn't some sort of new development.

(Full disclosure: I'm an American and I'm guilty of this. I get four weeks of PTO each year and use only a fraction of it. I really like my job though).

RibMan

Babyboomers ruin everything, group that has to deal with the problem given all the blame.

You could call it the United States of Blamerica. Let's take 50+ years of poor decisions and blame it on the most blameable of us.

Meanwhile, let's not question why five hundred and ninety eight billion dollars were spent on defense last year. Let's not question that.

cdyhybrid

Yeah we're definitely working long hours and never taking vacation because we value work over everything else.

It's not because of crippling debt, low wages, and understaffing. No sir.

Kieli

Yeah, the myth that millennials are consumer whores is a myth. The data doesn't pan out. So much so that Millenials are being blamed for some industries starting to decline to due their lack of participation!

Yeah, the argument doesn't hold when we're single-handedly responsible for the demise of the gas-powered automobile and cable TV industry.

Good riddance.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Living in SF for 4 years, I never really went on vacation. Shit's just too far and expensive to fly to. And like, Portland and Seattle and LA are cool, but not all that different of a place. One year in Ireland, and I've traveled to like 7 or 8 different cities in Europe. This is all on the same vacation policy, which I'll admit is a pretty good one for a US company. What kind of vacations were older generations going on? I remember all my vacations with my parents to be very stressful, which is also why I have a bit of an aversion to going on trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom