• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials Are to Blame for America's Vacation Problem (Travel+Leisure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can kind of get behind the "nobody can do my job" angle.

The portion of my job that is time-sensitive is really quite simple and I could train anyone in it in about 2 days. The company refuses to let anyone take time off their tasks to learn to be my backup. An example of this biting them in the ass was when I was sick last Thursday and the whole machine screeched to a halt, and I had my phone on silent cause I needed to sleep. Woke up to 18 missed calls, and got my ass chewed like bubblegum on Friday when I came into work.

I'm taking 2 days of vacation time starting next Friday and it's got me seriously worried.

Yup, companies run too lean.

bman94

Things are expensive...I really don't see the argument here. The cost of living is steadily going up, in order to live comfortably you've got to make some sacrifices. As a "millennium" I don't want to be in my parent's current situation, working to the bone and having less than $100 in their bank accounts until pay day because of shit they have to pay for.

My mom works 3 jobs and my dad works 12 hours a day and they still don't have "play" money cause expenses is always popping up. My dad just got off a little over a thousand cause we needed a new air conditioner for our house. Before that he needed to pay for some new wheels for my SUV, pay the mortgage and pay for a trick out of state for a funeral of a family member. He also doesn't get the benefits that me and my mother get from out job so he has to pay for his health benefits as well.

I literally just got my first paycheck on Friday and I already spent about $100 of it SPECIFICALLY for my job. I doubt I'm getting reimbursed for it but it's something completely necessary for me to do my job effectively, and judging by how quickly the last person in my position was let go, I'm not trying to lose this job. Even my Mom, who was born in 1955 always told me to not take my sick days even if I need them cause if your employer sees that you can muscle though pain for the sake of your job then you'll most likely be someone they'll keep and rely on in the future. So far it's worked out well for her, with her taking up two leadership roles in two of her jobs and a basically only works two days a week for her other job, so her work mentality really worked in her favor.

gaugebozo

351833.gif

Davey Cakes

Isn't this going to make millennials burn out if they don't take enough vacation? That can't be good for their health :/
I have an answer for that

Yes, and NOBODY CARES.

Our generation was dealt a bad hand and we're just trying to make due, but society and the media continue to paint us as entitled and lazy. We can't win.

Arc

"Big Pharma misses earnings, blames millennials for smoking pot instead of using opioid pain killers"

Lets make more headlines!

FStubbs

Short answer, yes. It's not sustainable.

Our entire social net is based on old people (Baby Boomers) being supported by healthy young people (Millenials), then Millenials being subsidized by the following generation.

Only Millenials are being crushed into an unhealthy state and can't afford to have the next generation.

Baby Boomers are the worst generation.

Cathcart

USA USA USA!!!

When I was younger I dreamed about working there some time. Now having 28 paid vacation days+overtime (I do a lot), which meant nearly 3 months of vacation this year for me makes me think I just won't fit in there.

Yeah idk what this article is on about. I'm a software engineer in the US, I have 4 weeks paid vacation and almost never work overtime. I think maybe millennials are overestimating how much anyone else gives a shit about their vacations.

Nipo

Our work recently stopped letting you carry over pto but at the same time they bumped it up to 30 days a year. If nothing else I'll take off from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Jinkies

The portion of my job that is time-sensitive is really quite simple and I could train anyone in it in about 2 days. The company refuses to let anyone take time off their tasks to learn to be my backup. An example of this biting them in the ass was when I was sick last Thursday and the whole machine screeched to a halt, and I had my phone on silent cause I needed to sleep. Woke up to 18 missed calls, and got my ass chewed like bubblegum on Friday when I came into work.

I'm taking 2 days of vacation time starting next Friday and it's got me seriously worried.

In this situation, I would inform my employer that I refuse to be a bottleneck. Then, let them make the decision between giving in to my reasonable, pragmatic demands or really taking a risk by firing me and trying to find someone simultaneously as qualified and more willing to fall on a pike for them.

James93

Or they are afraid of being replaced in an increasing competitive workplace, while wages have not grown with productivity and living costs over the last decades. So then they feel the need to show their dedication for job safety.

This times a million. All of us saw what happened in 08. Most of us have a friend or several who have been laid off do to downsizing. I'm lucky enough to be a fairly strong company, and that still sits in the back of my mind.

entremet

Our entire social net is based on old people (Baby Boomers) being supported by healthy young people (Millenials), then Millenials being subsidized by the following generation.

Only Millenials are being crushed into an unhealthy state and can't afford to have the next generation.

Baby Boomers are the worst generation.

This is all Western societies though. It's why falling birthrates are a concern in places like Japan. Our social safety nets are based on math that assumes a growing population, which then subsidizes an older one.

But with a falling population, the next generation isn't generating enough tax revenue to support the larger older one.

Baby boomers didn't do this intentionally. It was mostly second order effects.

Anyone who feels guilty for taking their paid time off needs to examine themselves and their job. Always take your time off.

Can't afford a full vacation? Fine. Stay at home. Relax. You still take your time off.
Pretty much, and it literally doesn't benefit you as a work martyr. You don't get promoted or anything else, you just get dumped on even more than the rest because they know you're happy to soak it up.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, the article implies that if you didn't take the days during the year that they were "lost". Is that how it works in the US? I thought the standard in most countries would be that they just roll over to the next year.

entremet

Wait, the article implies that if you didn't take the days during the year that they were "lost". Is that how it works in the US? I thought the standard in most countries would be that they just roll over to the next year.

They roll over, but there's usually a limit.

Nipo

Depends on the employer and state. Some let you roll over up to a limit some are use it or lose it. Pto is recorded as a liability for companies so they don't want people to have too much of it on the books.

Isn't this going to make millennials burn out if they don't take enough vacation? That can't be good for their health :/

Companies and employers don't care about health, they just care about work output and if someone burns out there's a thousand other people clawing at the door who need a job.

Just unscrew the busted light bulb, toss it, and put a new one in.

Zoe

My parents never took us on vacations growing up, so the concept is still hard for me to grasp. If I take a vacation, I try to stack it with days already designated as holidays.

dem

Any days we aren't allowed to roll over we get paid out.. Where I work anyway.

I can carry over 10 days

USA USA USA!!!

When I was younger I dreamed about working there some time. Now having 28 paid vacation days+overtime (I do a lot), which meant nearly 3 months of vacation this year for me makes me think I just won't fit in there.

Uhhh, depends on what you do in the US. I'm only 2.5 years in and I get 20 vacation days, 3 personal days and 6 sick days per year. I mean I guess you get overtime but I don't know how much you get paid either but I guess I live a rough life that you could never endure?

Davey Cakes

My parents never took us on vacations growing up, so the concept is still hard for me to grasp. If I take a vacation, I try to stack it with days already designated as holidays.
Me too. I would always tack on a day or two to a long weekend. I wouldn't take a full week off. Some people would take two weeks at once but that's all of the allotted vacation time. I'd rather parse the days out then go all at once. Not like I ever had the money to take a week or two-week long trip anyway.

It's kind of funny. I'm talking about 10 days like it's some crazy amount. Then you have people coming in talking about 30 days of PTO per year, which blows my mind.

Tripon

Im a teacher at a charter school. I get 12 personal days, 10 paid days off. I plan to use the 2 non paid days for when I need them and will try to hoard the 10 days as much as possible. I can't bank them, but the organization will give me $125 per day for each unused day.

kewlmyc

I get 2 weeks a year now of just vacation days since I've been with my company for 2 years now. I'm taking a vacation next year that is going to further push me into debt. Won't be able to move out for a long while, but at least I can cross going to Japan off my bucket list.

Also I'm currently on vacation now, but just staying in my house.

Plum

That's exactly what will happen. I'm fully expecting medical problems relating to stress, overworking and fatigue to boom in 20 years or so. Couple that with a growing population, the potential rise in anti-biotic resistant diseases and less government funding and we've got a recipe for disaster. Gonna be fun.

RDreamer

Depends on the company. Sometimes it rolls over, but usually there's a limit to how much you can accrue. Sometimes it doesn't roll over and you lose it. Sometimes if doesn't roll over but you get equivalent pay for it.

Nipo

That's exactly what will happen. I'm fully expecting medical problems relating to stress, overworking and fatigue to boom in 20 years or so. Couple that with a growing population, the potential rise in anti-biotic resistant diseases and less government funding and we've got a recipe for disaster. Gonna be fun.

In reality most people won't be working like they do now in 20 years.

The first big test is going to be around 2023 when autonomous cars are mainstream and 3.5 million truck drivers are out of work. It is the largest profession in 29 states and going to be one of the first destroyed by automation.

Apt101

Damn another thing to blame on millennials? I'm losing count of how many things are the fault of young people who had almost nothing to do with the direction of the world seeing as they were children while baby boomers were voting us into conservative Hell.

Plum

The first big test is going to be around 2023 when autonomous cars are mainstream and 3.5 million truck drivers are out of work. It is the largest profession in 29 states and going to be one of the first destroyed by automation.

Yeah, automation will kill a lot of jobs but it definitely won't kill those issues. Society isn't just start going to let people off, after all "they picked a job that robots can do so they're worthless."

andthebeatgoeson

That's a really sparse article. I guess they know no one wants to read an in depth critique of the issues.

I'm gen X but I've had two bosses that don't a good job of making it clear and unstressed to take vacation. There is a significant component that comes from older generations that make people not want to take vacations.

sk3

Banned
All these "millennials are killing XXX" articles make sense when you realize its just click bait and their target audience for these articles is millennials.

Aren't they supposed to be the most narcissistic generation? Of course they would love to read how much they are affecting/killing/causing these other issues.

Amagon

I know this feeling. :/

Wilsongt

Millennials don't get killed or sent to prison just for walking on the street. What an outrageous and offensive comparison.

It's more of a sheer volume of news stories that blame millenials for all the troubles in the world. Wasn't meant to be offensive.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

If you get chewed out again, tell them: "I told you before: This is why you should let me train someone to be a back-up."

This is enfuriating.

People aren't work martyrs because they choose to be. They're doing it because they don't have the same opportunities that the baby boomers enjoyed before working to dismantle.

Smug European here. I've got 20 vacation days for this calendar year, and I've already used half of them and I've already booked off Christmas week. Plus, there's the ten public holidays, the eighth of which is tomorrow.

FStubbs

Any days we aren't allowed to roll over we get paid out.. Where I work anyway.

I can carry over 10 days

I worked a job that had use it or lose it. I blocked off a week and change at the end of the year. Then they came in mid December, thew me on an emergency project due Jan 1, and threatened me if it wasn't done. And refused to roll over my leave. I was blessed to get it done without losing time but I had to work like a dog and it was not fun.

If you get chewed out again, tell them: "I told you before: This is why you should let me train someone to be a back-up."

"We can't do that, we must keep costs low."

"You're only as valuable to me as much as you are here. I don't need people who aren't here no matter who you are."

I'm about to take a vacation to the UK. I know I'm one of the lucky ones thanks to nice IT salaries.

They roll over, but there's usually a limit.
My company lets you roll over the amount you would accrue in a calendar year. So say you get 15 days. You could carry over that to next year and have 30 days but if you don't take any time off that year you lose the extra 15 and stay at 30 for the next year, etc.

Now government jobs, it's an endless bounty. All my relatives with gov jobs have like 90+ days stashed away.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This American will take off every day they will give me. I don't give a shit what happens when I'm not there. That's not my responsibility. Its theirs to make sure they can suitably replace me. I feel sorry for people who give in to that kind of pressure.

Future

This is a world where there are a lot of always online services that need to be maintained, packages that need to be delivered within hours, software that needs to come out on time with dlc and support coming soon.... Everything is more on demand and now requires more continuous work.

now the jobs that are like this... Do they hire enough staff to accurately allow people to take their vacation days? Or do they save money and become more profitable by implying to their few employees that if they aren't putting in the work they will find someone else who can?

I'd bet one vacation day this is less about a generations attitude on life and more about the types of jobs out there these days.

I literally have a part time job in a grocery store where I'm replaceable at the drop of a hat and nearly everyone can do my job, but I get three week's paid vacation because I have a great union and I make sure to take each and every day of it. Done more than a couple "staycations" as well. You can pry my vacation days from my cold, dead hands.

They'll just hire those drivers back as ride along guards because autonomous freight vehicles will be prime targets for crimes.

My boss was the worst with this. You'd get the impression you would be punished for taking vacation that you earned.

It wasn't uncommon for someone if they took vacation to come back and find they were now working 10-12 hour days, and the weekend as well, even if they never work the weekend anyway.

“No one else at my company can do the work while I’m away.”
“I want to show complete dedication to my company and job.”
“I don’t want others to think I am replaceable.”

Well that's a good way to set youself up for a nasty surprise when you find out everyone is replaceable and your company and job do not have any loyalty to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom