• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Bedlam

What I really "love" about this is how some people in the games industry and the press fell for this shit amidst the current "We need more women in game development! Support women!"-craze. We are talking about a NINE YEAR OLD CHILD here.

See the Destructoid article about it, for example. And apparently the KS was mentioned on a PAX panel with the former 38 Studios guys, too. *sigh*

Spwn

I come from a secret society family so I find it interesting whenever people don't believe it's an issue. I don't even know if she is. I'm just saying the ones I have met, were. In fact that's how we got to meet.

You sound awfully like my brother. It makes me feel uneasy.

What I really "love" about this is how some people in the games industry and the press fell for this shit amidst the current "We need more women in game development! Support women!"-craze. We are talking about a NINE YEAR OLD CHILD here.

See the Destructoid article about it, for example. And apparently the KS was mentioned on a PAX panel with the former 38 Studios guys, too. *sigh*

Yeah, this is what I was referring too in my earlier post. And this topic being on the table all the time right now is pretty much the biggest reason I don't trust this project is legit.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
It's called being wealthy. There, saved you an entire blob of text.

Not all wealthy people are crooks though. And not all wealthy people are above the law.

I'm talking about a certain segment within the wealthy demographic. Remember the near market crash of 2008? Do you remember what caused it? A small group of wealthy people wanted to make billions on betting against toxic mortgage loans that were rated triple A. Was anyone even charged with a crime for this obvious fraud that affected the entire nation? Basically we're talking about the same segment of people.

You sound awfully like my brother. It makes me feel uneasy.

This was another lifetime. Long time ago. I'm a peon.

Shinta

Banned

I didn't realize they already picked this story up. Anyone else ran with this? We need to make a list, for posterity.

Any link to what was said on the panel?

I love how the Destructoid article even links to Sarkeesian again. Priceless.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Well they are both reptilian so it would make sense that they sound alike.

This is the sort of thing that makes it so easy for them to do what they do. The crazy people mixed in a little bit of the truth with crazy gibberish, so of course that must mean none of it is true. People "Conspire" every day to do disparaging things. Are wealthy and powerful people so ethical that they would never use their resources or influence to conspire for very selfish ends? No.

As if I needed more reason to think Destroctoid is a piece of shit website.

Journalism :bow

Bedlam

I didn't realize they already picked this story up. Anyone else ran with this? We need to make a list, for posterity.

Any link to what was said on the panel?
The bit about the PAX panel was mentioned in the KS comments. I just hope it wasn't Rich Gallup who promoted this scam.

This is the sort of thing that makes it so easy for them to do what they do. The crazy people mixed in a little bit of the truth with crazy gibberish, so of course that must mean none of it is true.
You're not completely wrong but you said it yourself: mixing in crazy gibberish will make you sound completely nuts. Also, let's not have this discussion here in this thread.

As if I needed more reason to think Destroctoid is a piece of shit website.

Journalism :bow
Well, the article is horseshit and was obviously written without doing any research but at least their community has responded reasonably.

Hmm, at first this seemed like a bit of a non issue, but the more I think about this, the more it feels like pure exploitation and deceit.

I would have absolutely no problem with this had the girl come from a disadvantaged background, I think it's important that kids can achieve their goals....But Kenzie comes from a very advantageous situation, her mother has wealth, power and influence, and it simply comes down to the fact that she doesn't really need my help, or anyone's help.

That said, I genuinely hope she enjoys camp and continues to maintain an interest in computing - if bad press comes of this, then I hope the vitriol is not aimed towards her.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You're not completely wrong but you said it yourself: mixing in crazy gibberish will make you sound completely nuts. Also, let's not have this discussion here in this thread.
Yeah I'm done with it. I was just trying to explain why we probably have little to no chance in stopping this KS even when it wreaks of fraudulent intentions. I now see that I took it further than I needed to.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I come from a secret society family so I find it interesting whenever people don't believe it's an issue. I don't even know if she is. I'm just saying the ones I have met, were. In fact that's how we got to meet.

You have the right to not believe and mock, but everything I said is 100% true. Just because you're ignorant of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I wasn't trying to imply that only Caucasian people would do something like this so I definitely retract that. My comment wasn't a "whitey always keeping folks down" intention because the majority of the people they rip off are Caucasian. I apologize if that's what you took from it.

Shouldn't you have a lot of money then?

Do you have a sister or cousin that I can marry?

Dunan

This mother is skin-crawlingly disgusting, and I second the posters who think that this girl's two brothers are the real victims in this scam.

Actually, if the $10,000 that supposedly gets an apology from the two brothers is in fact given to the brothers, I'd be happy.

But we all know that's not what's going to happen. That $10k will go to either the mother or to the daughter's college fund, and the two boys will have to grovel while mother and daughter gloat about how their underprivileged gender scores a victory against the evil oppressors. Teenage oppressors who get tossed under the bus routinely by their scheming mother. Right.

Respawn

Banned
Rich people are people too.

tumblr_mbwx7sJu101ripwzwo1_1280.jpg
Its like the devil is laughing at us

Bedlam

Yeah I'm done with it. I was just trying to explain why we probably have little to no chance in stopping this KS even when it wreaks of fraudulent intentions. I now see that I took it further than I needed to.
If the (valid) criticism is loud enough and generates too much negative publicity for KS, they will likely shut it down. This has nothing to do with secret societies. KS wants to make money, too. That's all there is to it. No need to go into conspiracy territory.

Midou

Kickstater should not be the 'I want this one thing but don't want to pay for it' service. Guys I can't afford Bioshock Infinite, please pledge to my $67.80 kickstarter (tax included), at the $10,000 tier I can buy all the bioshocks that come out until the end of eternity.

Erasus

This is right from the Kickstarter Help section:

"Kickstarter does not allow charity, cause, or "fund my life" projects. Check out our project guidelines for details."

Honestly I have an extremely difficult time seeing this as anything but that. While there's a finished game to come out of it this isn't to fund the game. This is to pay for a kid to go to camp and hopefully get extra money for...who the hell really knows.

This is pretty terrible, at least the way it's written and presented. I don't think the idea in itself is bad, to help a kid get what they need to work on a game but as noted above, this isn't about a singular project and instead is both charity and a cause.

Edit: And this is in the project guidelines:

"No "fund my life" projects.

Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera."

This, it should not be there on kickstarter, no product will come out of it. Period. Thi is just her "omgeee my daughter wants to code so smart plz send her to rpg camp" , also putting her kids out like that?

Bedlam

All of that was very obviously written by the mother, probaby without the daughter even knowing about it. "Zach was being mean to me and my mom" -- really?
The first sentence about the mothers birthday already sounds like an adult came up with that joke.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
If the (valid) criticism is loud enough and generates too much negative publicity for KS, they will likely shut it down. This has nothing to do with secret societies. KS wants to make money, too. That's all there is to it. No need to go into conspiracy territory.

I never connected the two. I was more thinking about her colorful employment record. If she didn't get in trouble for some of that stuff, KS is not an issue.

You're an optimist though. I like that. I almost envy you.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I reported it too.

Can't believe the write up they have for it:

my friends at home are great but they're not really gamers like me so it'll awesome to hang out with hardcore gamers like me that are my age

Oh my god.

Midou

Hanging out with hardcore gamers of her age?

My favorite PS3 game right now is Dragon Age II.

I think not, CASUAL.

It's funny because it's true.

I think Richard Garriot was the only millionaire game dev. I doubt anyone in inXile or Obsidian is rolling that many millions.. especially not the damn designers.

moka

I reported it too.

Can't believe the write up they have for it:

my friends at home are great but they're not really gamers like me so it'll awesome to hang out with hardcore gamers like me that are my age

Oh my god.

>hardcore gamers
>my age

9 Years old.

Pq1vF2S.gif

So what if she goes to camp, cannot make an rpg and it turns out her brothers were right? What happens then?

...then things get very awkward.

Midou

It's no secret there aren't enough females in STEM professions so part of my Kickstarter campaign is aimed at raising awareness and getting girls thinking about careers in technology at an early age.

All 9 year olds talk like this..

But my Mom just told me about the Veronica Mars campaign so now I'm secretly hoping to raise more.

Yep, jumping on the bandwagon.. *sigh*

Polari

Reported. I only wish it was legal for Kickstarter to close down the project but also take all the money rubes have pledged and donate it to a genuinely worthwhile cause.

I also reported it. I really hope this is cancelled and if not Kickstarter somehow addresses it to explain how they feel this is appropriate. I understand the concept that people are allowed to use their money how they please so let uninformed people throw their money at something like this but not on Kickstarter where this abuses the purpose of the site.

Yep, also reported. Its against the first rule. I thought that kickstaer read the projects before putting them up, or at least that is what its rules say. Seems not.

Midou

Comments say she got backing from some industry people and Adobe gave 'her' a free licence for something or other according to some post, maybe they are in too deep and KS won't budge on removing it.

moka

Comments say she got backing from some industry people and Adobe gave 'her' a free licence for something or other according to some post, maybe they are in too deep and KS won't budge on removing it.

KS are going to be in some deep shit if they don't remove it. This has more or less gone viral now!

Some one should just make a site like Kickstarter for people who want charity, if there isn't one already. Call it "fund my life" or "Give me money"

Edit: Might be legit, but the more I read, the more it sounds like a scam.

Midou

Some one should just make a site like Kickstarter for people who want charity, if there isn't one already. Call it "fund my life" or "Give me money"

Edit: Might be legit, but the more I read, the more it sounds like a scam.

I don't think it's a scam as much as not appropriate for KS.

Top Bottom