• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Storm360

1. If it was a male it would have failed already.
2. Why is a nine year old playing Borderlands 2?
3. Why does a camp for RPG Maker even exist?

Even then, this woman posting on it would be preposterous, look how rich she is.

I personally have no problems with her being wealthy and asking for money. She could be teaching her "child" a life lesson on how to achieve goals or something like that. I don't think its the "right" thing to do though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This reeks of red flags. I really hope they don't see a dime of this and also catch some heat if they indeed are rich.

Midou

for point 2, also Dragon Age II, that is like the opposite of 'empowering girl gamer'. I guess it does have the 'lesser controls' she wants though.

This is why you only support Kick starters that have viable, working proofs of concept, and not funding some guy's "cool idea" he thought about the night before, or helping sun worshippers spread the gospel faster

Spwn

Can anyone find the website for the RPG maker camp? Just curious, quick googling not giving me results. I'm guessing it's not this since that doesn't allow kids to stay overnight if they're under 10. Also doesn't seem to be like a place you send you kid to for the whole summer.

Bedlam

Also, this has gone viral because "Aww look at how young the girl is, and she wants to make a game. Cute!" sentiments. It's today's feelgood-story for gaming sites and tech blogs. Oh and the cute girl gets heckled by her big "mean brothers" who like to wear sexist shirts as you can see on the KS page. That's why we can't have female developers. Please give money.

moka

Can anyone find the website for the RPG maker camp? Just curious, quick googling not giving me results. I'm guessing it's not this since that doesn't allow kids to stay overnight if they're under 10. Also doesn't seem to be like a place you send you kid to for the whole summer.

It has to be that! Look at the screenshot on the KS page, I just can't seem to find the right package though.

d10c0c5025274e04e6b9971bc8152842_large.png

Edit: Found it!

Storm360

Also, this has gone viral because "Aww look at how young the girl is, and she wants to make a game. Cute!" sentiments. It's today's feelgood-story for gaming sites and tech blogs. Oh and the cute girl gets heckled by her big "mean brothers", who like to wear sexist shirts as you can see on the KS page. That's why we can't have female developers. Please give money.

Its a joke, Parents need to actually parent for a start and tell their kids they can't wear sexist shirts etc (Oh wait, they most likely bought the shirt to make them look worse)

I also love the fact they're playing the whole no female developers approach, the reason we have no female developers is either
1. A male with higher qualifications and experience has applied for the same place
2. They're simply not applying (9 times out of 10)

If anything it harms females wanting to get into games, they see stuff like this and assume its the case

Here's the course BTW http://www.internaldrive.com/course...amps/role-playing-game-design-with-rpg-maker/

ido

This is fucking disgusting.

I love how she has no problem exploiting her entire family. And good job letting your 9 year old play mature rated games, you troglodyte.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
To be honest, if KS allows this to exist I will not support any of their stuff anymore.

Period. If this is what it is, I am not backing anything else. I don't back hardly anything anyways but this kind of stuff seems too exploitative.

Chinner

Banned
this is just basically a business experiment to see how much you can capitalize on kickstarter projects with good marketing a human focus. the rpg maker/800$ was just a test to see how much they can get.

and hey they're not doing so bad, 20k in the bank.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
If idiots want to waste their money on this shit, I don't see the problem. Wish I had thought of it.

I'm gonna start a KS promising videos of me walking up to celebrities and farting on them. Money in the bank.

Drek

this is just basically a business experiment to see how much you can capitalize on kickstarter projects with good marketing a human focus. the rpg maker/800$ was just a test to see how much they can get.

Its not funded yet. Hopefully enough people report it to kickstarter and it gets taken down as the charity/give me free money plug that it really is.

ymmv

Banned
If idiots want to waste their money on this shit, I don't see the problem. Wish I had thought of it.

A scam is a scam.

Unless this KS project is canceled before the cash out.

Rapstah

As of right now they can afford 11.25 OVERNIGHT CAMPS© at the maximum price those go for, all weekends booked as ULTIMATE GAMING WEEKENDS©. This assumes she is ten years old or above and studies at Stanford, but I'm sure her mother can make the necessary arrangements.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I guess the kid is having a birthday before this?

Age is nothing $20k and secret society contacts can't change.

But seriously, this mother seems to have a problem reading the fine print, in general. Perhaps we can launch a kickstarter to fund her through a course for that?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RPG Maker school? WHAT?

How about teaching the kid to use Google and finding sites for tutorials. About nine gazzilion three hundred and seventy four and a half kids around the world worked out how to use RPG Maker on their lonesome (well with a bit of help from Don's Adventure). It really isn't that hard.

And VX, nah son. That's ugly and blocky. Use XP instead (or be even cooler with 2k/3)

Oh wait it's a massive con.

Gannd

Banned
I didn't know identity politics could be so profitable. Maybe, I should stop pocking fun of liberal arts majors.

apesh1t

Banned
I personally have no problems with her being wealthy and asking for money. She could be teaching her "child" a life lesson on how to achieve goals or something like that. I don't think its the "right" thing to do though.

is the lesson: You can never have enough money and it's good to take money from naive people on the internet?

LukeTim

This makes sense. A modest ask at first, to see if you can double it... triple it... quadruple it...

Then if it proves successful, let the real manipulation begin.

Gannd

Banned
is the lesson: You can never have enough money and it's good to take money from naive people on the internet?

I actually don't have a problem with her doing this. People are being fools because of identity politics and want to be apart of a movement. Sometimes, after a few bad experiences people will not be so gullible when it comes to joining a movement. My problem is that this clearly violates the TOS and I don't believe the woman at all when it comes to this story. I think this women is just going to pocket the money. The store isn't believable.

kadotsu

Banned
There are two possible routes this will take.

1. The proposal will get funded on Kickstarter at around 50k. Backers will feel they contributed to a great scause everyone else will bitch.

2. Kickstarter cancels this, social media will bitch and the proposal will be funded at around 50k+ at another panhandler site. Backers will feel they contributed to a great scause everyone else will bitch.

I, personally, find it appalling to make your kid go public to pursue her dreams, especially if you have the means of support.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
RPG Maker school? WHAT?

How about teaching the kid to use Google and finding sites for tutorials. About nine gazzilion three hundred and seventy four and a half kids around the world worked out how to use RPG Maker on their lonesome (well with a bit of help from Don's Adventure). It really isn't that hard.

And VX, nah son. That's ugly and blocky. Use XP instead (or be even cooler with 2k/3)

Oh wait it's a massive con.

http://www.internaldrive.com/course...computer-camps/3d-game-design-with-minecraft/

Minecraft camp ahhhh

Bedlam

This makes sense. A modest ask at first, to see if you can double it... triple it... quadruple it...

Then if it proves successful, let the real manipulation begin.
Quadruple? The hopes are already higher...

"My goal is to raise $829 to cover the cost of RPG Camp. But my Mom just told me about the Veronica Mars campaign so now I'm secretly hoping to raise more"

The VM Kickstarter is almost at $ 4Million. Mom wants that money.

chifanpoe

What a joke this is going to make of ks. This mom is exploiting ks and who are these idiots backing this. This pissed me off enough to report this charity self funding project.

Cmagus

This just seems all kinds of wrong. Now if it was the 9 year old doing it herself and promoting her game and ideas I wouldn't see a problem with it even if her mom is rich. Nothing wrong with her pursuing something on her own independently regardless of income but her mom is clearly exploiting this and the idea of her daughter making a game is just an afterthought.

jcm

This is just gross. That mom should be ashamed of herself. There are so many disadvantaged girls and boys that could really use this kind of help.

Kikujiro

There are two possible routes this will take.

1. The proposal will get funded on Kickstarter at around 50k. Backers will feel they contributed to a great scause everyone else will bitch.

2. Kickstarter cancels this, social media will bitch and the proposal will be funded at around 50k+ at another panhandler site. Backers will feel they contributed to a great scause everyone else will bitch.

I, personally, find it appalling to make your kid go public to pursue her dreams, especially if you have the means of support.

I totally see the second route. We already lost. People will only see the little kid "dream", not the scam behind it, and she can easily pulls the sexism card.

Kickstarter is becoming a joke with what they are allowing. But why would they care, they just are reaping tons in fees from allowing pretty much anything on their site.

Muku

Reading that just made me cringe. And this is what I feared about KS. I have never really been a big fan of it, but I know some folks have gotten the funding they needed to do their projects, and that's great. Just don't think it's for me. But this pile of crap was obviously written by the mom. It just screamed that way to me the whole way through. I can't imagine that even if someone did donate 10k, they'd even get a letter from the brothers. It'd probably be written by her as well.

If I had a Kickstarter account, I'd definitely report it. I'm actually almost tempted to make one to do so. She is on a fine line there, but a time or two clearly state it's for an "education".

Also, this is total hogwash. The thing about her not being able to wait to go to be with hardcore gamers her age. What a bunch of bullocks. She tell her daughter not to make friends with the opposite sex? Growing up there were no girls that were into gaming like I was. Only one or two at most that even played them at all. So I made guy friends to talk about games with. Especially since there was no internet for help, it was nice to pass information back and forth.

MBison

As a father of a 9 year old girl who gets straight As and is also very tech savvy, there is no chance an actual 9 year old had anything to do with that kickstarter.

Top Bottom