• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

JDSN

Banned
If you are gonna report it select the spam option and post this picture, there have been many projects that have been obvious charities and they have allowed them because its not very clear and cut.

Durante

Also, this has gone viral because "Aww look at how young the girl is, and she wants to make a game. Cute!" sentiments. It's today's feelgood-story for gaming sites and tech blogs. Oh and the cute girl gets heckled by her big "mean brothers" who like to wear sexist shirts as you can see on the KS page. That's why we can't have female developers. Please give money.
Yeah, regardless of the economic situation of the family, this already seemed extremely shady to me simply because it appears to be designed to push exactly those buttons which have been successful on kickstarter before (RPGs, "hardcore gaming" and the representation of women in games), while also adding the "aww" twist of using a young girl.

Of course, that they are actually in a position where they don't need the money in any way, shape or form just makes it all the more egregious. It's basically a tailor-made exploitative kickstarter proposal. Disgusting.

The reactions in this thread are why those people are millionaires, and we aren't.
A normal middle-class family would earmark money to allow their daughter to go to this camp. They'd be out $829, while Ms. Wilson is already up $21,933. "I didn't get rich by signing checks" indeed.

Mikey Jr.

These kickstarter donators are so fucking naive.

I truly hope, beyond all hope, that the little girl does nothing with the money in the end, and in 1 year, the mom posts a pic of herself driving her new car with the words "Thanks Kickstarter!"

Please God in Heaven make this happen. Please! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!

First, why did anyone give money? Second, why does anyone give money after the goal has been met? It's not like it's a creative project where they can use the extra money to improve what they're making. It's paying for tuition at a camp which is a set amount. What are they going to do with all the extra money?

TheExodu5

Banned
8b459420ef6671408d6305f0a3f32f4a_large.png

I don't know...she can't even compute the ability modifiers correctly in D&D. I don't have much hope.

inky

First, why did anyone give money? Second, why does anyone give money after the goal has been met? It's not like it's a creative project where they can use the extra money to improve what they're making. It's paying for tuition at a camp which is a set amount. What are they going to do with all the extra money?

Some people must hate their money. That's all I got.

Gannd

Banned

Because this is a movement. It's not about "money" it's about supporting the movement. It's why this lady has been able to play the community so badly and take so much. This isn't logical. Also, it's set up that if you're against giving money to this little girl you're obviously a cynical anti-woman jerk.

I say let her take these idiots for as much money as she can. They deserve it.

A normal middle-class family would earmark money to allow their daughter to go to this camp. They'd be out $829, while Ms. Wilson is already up $21,933. "I didn't get rich by signing checks" indeed.
Exactly.

Come on, not all people with money are bad. There are many on GAF that have large amounts of wealth and see the wrong with this.
I'm not saying that people with money are "bad". I'm saying they're willing to exploit the foolishness of others.

LukeTim

Swim in it whilst laughing boisterously at the chumps who willingly gave it to them.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The fact that the mom has swindled idiots into giving her money doesn't bother me, but the fact that Kickstarter is allowing it to go on when it's clearly in violation of their TOS does.

Kinyou

Disgusting. It's like those people from facebook who make these "My dad will buy me a dog if I get 1. Million likes"

IrishNinja

she's responding in the comment section now, ya'll should see it.

OK, at this point, enough is enough. I can't even let Kenzie see this page and that's a shame because the first day, she sent every person that backed her a personal email and left for school so excited because she'd communicated with people who were supporting her (and her dream) from as far away as Australia, Belgium, Germany and England. How many other 3rd graders get to experience that? She was literally beaming and I think standing a good 2" taller!

As a parent, I don't regret that lesson or this process. Yes, I'll filter what she sees now but I won't apologize. For the record, "successful" is very different than rich. Our kids attend public school (like their parents did) because that's what we can afford and what we think is best.

This KS campaign WAS and IS about a little girl who wanted to prove to her brothers that she could build her own RPG. Think of it as a modern version of a "lemonade stand" because Kenzie HAS heard her mother preach about the power of the crowd (which I certainly won't apologize for either). Kickstarter reviewed and approved it and just let us know again how much they believe in it.

And as for my sons, I promise you that even they will admit they were being brats. Get over it. That doesn't mean they're horrible boys. Frankly they're pretty good kids. But this wasn't an isolated incident and there's no doubt that as their mom, I wanted to teach them a life lesson that they'd carry with them for life (one that as a woman AND a little sister I know about first hand). I didn't think it would happen with this Kickstarter campaign but I can't say I'm sorry it did. My boys will readily admit they've learned an important life lesson (the hard way).

As any parent knows, telling your kids something is fine but when they truly "experience" the lesson (and when you as a parent allow that to happen which isn't always easy), the end result is far more powerful than simple parental advice which eventually becomes nagging from your kids perspective. I don't claim to have all the parenting answers and raising teenagers is certainly more difficult than I expected. Anyone with teenagers (especially more than one) can attest to this - though it may look or feel "mean" if you don't have teenagers (or a sense of humor).

Having said all that, clearly something resonated with people that led to this campaign's success. If you'd like to discuss or comment on that, and how to use the extra funds in a positive, allowable, legitimate way, I'd love to hear more - because again, the crowd is way smarter than a few individuals (no matter where they went to school).

And btw, my oldest son Zach IS wearing a t-shirt that says, "I think I'm a lesbian" and he's wearing it with pride! It was given to him by his best friend Kristen who just happens to be a lesbian and has a matching shirt. They also have matching "I love girls with tattoos" shirts along with matching Ellen underwear. I won't apologize for that either.

The only reason there is a $10K tier is that it was added after we'd surpassed the goal and Brenda Romero (google her because she's got far more clout in this field than you do) asked me to do just that. I was specifically asked by industry leaders (who were total strangers prior to this campaign) to add more rewards because good people know good intentions and want to do good things. You should try it! I don't know exactly what's going to happen with the money but I can assure you it will go to Kenzie making the best RPG game and it will go to doing it in the coolest way possible that gets girls involved in playing and building games!

i said goddamn

Bedlam

First, why did anyone give money? Second, why does anyone give money after the goal has been met?
I'm honestly convinced that there's a number of people who are convinced they're fighting sexism by throwing money at this KS.

she's responding in the comment section now, ya'll should see it.
Want me to post anything? I'm the guy she responded to. (I must not forget to cancel my pledge later so I get my dollar back)

Durante

I'm honestly convinced that there's a number of people who are convinced they're fighting sexism by throwing money at this KS.
Absolutely. And while those people are the ones primarily to blame for that, it's undeniable that the whole KS is designed to engender
(I'm killing myself)
that emotion.

mattchuuu

Neo Member
Eventually, I'd love to see some kind of documentary or article interviewing adults who were exploited as children in viral videos and photos by their parents. Psychology must be busy trying to get a grip on what its like having a person's entire development shared with the world for entertainment, money, or even good intentions by impressed parents.

IrishNinja

Want me to post anything? I'm the guy she responded to.

ah, that's you then? nah man, you're quite concise & i can't think of much to add. shame she's not addressing a specific point of yours at all, but it's great that she managed to take a snide shot & namedrop instead.

Goon Boon

Banned
Neat, she's also a domain squatter.

http://fifty-shades.com/#

Fifty Shades
FOR SALE: www.Fifty-Shades.com

PLUS

FiftyShades.co and FiftyShades.me

FOR SALE BY OWNER
Now accepting offers to buy one or all domains.
Email offers to Fifty@FundHer.com.

I bought this domain name via GoDaddy after I read the first Fifty Shades book thinking I might do something with it, but I'm a wife, mother and entrepreneur working on other projects.

SO I'M SELLING IT! Interested buyers submit valid cash offers only.

Hermii

Then don't participate. I don't see how having money excludes you from being allowed to ask for more. The world's biggest donation collector is the Catholic Church. Which just happens to own billions.

And you dont see anything wrong with that ?

moka

Sweet Jesus.

Where does it end with this woman?

Want me to post anything? I'm the guy she responded to. (I must not forget to cancel my pledge later so I get my dollar back)

Ask her about some of the stuff we've discussed to death in this thread.

Shinta

Banned
Well if Brenda Romero suggested you add a personal apology for $10,000 I guess it's all okay then! She's an expert on $10,000 apologies! I mean ... what?

She wrote a lot, but actually didn't address any of the real points that people have. Like, at all.

[EDIT]And yeah, I just realized she name-dropped John Romero's wife. This just keeps getting better and better.

Too much, my sides, they hurt from laughter.

inky

Think of it as a modern version of a "lemonade stand"

LOL.

She is right tho, people are entitled to burn their money away of they so desire. Projects like this is why I decided to cancel my KS account and said, fuck it, if they want to approve garbage without proper screening I have no use for their services, I'll just find other ways to support what I think are worthwhile projects.

"MOOOOOOM Jimmy and Johnny say I can't make a video game, can I have money to go to RPG camp?"

"No dear, I'm not just going to give you money for that, you have to learn how to make your way in the world and earn things for yourself."

"So should I make a lemonade stand, or cut grass or maybe start a dog walking business?"

"Don't be silly, we'll just go earn the money by asking strangers for it on the internet."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How does this not go against Kickstarter's rules?:

It does.

Supportive backers are suggesting the game at the end is 'a project' by Kickstarter's definiton, and thus can be backed. But it's not a standalone venture. It's a a byproduct of tuition. And she straight up says the money is to cover the cost of the course.

If this passes, any KS to raise money to cover tuition can pass, as long as you wrap up artefacts of your education (your essays, your art portfolio, your final coding exercises etc.) as 'a project'.

Goon Boon

Banned
would you guys do a kickstarter for me to leave gaf

i'd require at least 10K upfront

Her first kickstarter asked for 20k and only got $400, while her one asking for $829 got over 20k, so it may be worth it to ask for far less than you want.

Do you have a daughter you could use as a emotional device for donations?

DaBuddaDa

It does.

Supportive backers are suggesting the game at the end is 'a project' by Kickstarter's definiton, and thus can be backed. But it's not a standalone venture. It's a a byproduct of tuition. And she straight up says the money is to cover the cost of the course.

If this passes, any KS to raise money to cover tuition can pass, as long as you wrap up artefacts of your education (your essays, your art portfolio, your final coding exercises etc.) as 'a project'.

That's exactly how I interpreted it also. "Please Kickstart my $100,000 MFA degree. Everything I produce is 'a project,' and I will share pictures."

Jenga

Banned
Her first kickstarter asked for 20k and only got $400, while her one asking for $829 got over 20k, so it may be worth it to ask for far less than you want.

Do you have a daughter you could use as a emotional device for donations?
I have a dog. I could propose that browsing gaf instead of playing with my dog makes him unhappy. I'll need at least $500 to make my dog happy.

Durante

I also went ahead and reported it. With my main kickstarter account, which has tons of backed projects, in case that matters.

"My name is Mackenzie Wilson and I'm 9 but because you have to be 18 to have a project on Kickstarter, I'm partnering with my mom, Susan Wilson who told me to say she's 29 but I made her a birthday cake last week so I know she's 43."

Right off the bat I'm supposed to believe this was written by a nine year old? Must be "creative licence"

It's what her daughter WOULD HAVE SAID. Uh huh... *Nods head incredulously

Don't really see the problem with it. Kickstarter is designed around people, often rich, taking advantage of the public. Just using the system.

Durante

Don't really see the problem with it. Kickstarter is designed around people, often rich, taking advantage of the public. Just using the system.
That's a really cynical attitude to have, considering the huge variety of great, deserving projects on KS.

Shinta

Banned
Susan Wilson said:
The only reason there is a $10K tier is that it was added after we'd surpassed the goal and Brenda Romero (google her because she's got far more clout in this field than you do) asked me to do just that. I was specifically asked by industry leaders (who were total strangers prior to this campaign) to add more rewards

This just blows my mind. So "industry leaders," including John Romero's wife, were contacting this family to make sure they added $10,000 reward options that humiliate the two boys?

This either is a lie, or it reflects really poorly on "industry leaders." Shows how much they value our money if they want $10,000 to go towards a 9 year old's RPG, even though the family are multi-millionaires.

This whole thing is too ridiculous to believe. So many things that she has yet to address still.

Orca

I'm confused how this whole thing is "proving she can do what they can't - BUILD HER OWN RPG game AND pay for it!"

I mean...she's NOT paying for it. That's the point. It's not like she got a job doing errands and is earning the money, her mom put up a KS and begged people for it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Outside of Mozart, a nine year old is not going to make a good anything.

I like the Mom encouraging her daughter, but don't say she's even gonna make a competant game, because she will not.

Can we get an apology when the game sucks?

It's fine if the game sucks. That's called learning.

Even if she is some kind of prodigy, she'll just be good relative to her peers. I'm sure 9 year old LeBron was great as basketball. I'm also sure if you put us on the half-court with 8' rims, I would have destroyed him.

Top Bottom