• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Haru

I'm very disappointed in the way Kickstarter has been handling this mess. I've backed several legitimate projects in the past, but if they can't handle an obvious scam like this then Kickstarter will never see another dime from me.

Odd Susan is still bothered by trolls and naysayers, why? You are quite obviously the winner out of all this, your kid's been funded for RPG Camp 20x over, and you have been given some amazing opportunities and freebies, and yet all you can focus on is the "terrible trolls" at NeoGaf and the $1 backers who decide to enact their right to free speech. You can't even take the time to appreciate the backers that got you this far, or be grateful that people are willing to be charitable towards your cause, and that's the saddest thing of all IMO.

I imagine some people backed this project out of the goodness of their own hearts, their intentions were good, if misled by the child angle of this kickstarter. But they still backed and kept their pledges up to this point despite warnings to the contrary. But some people let kindness or a desire to support a child's developing dreams override their better judgement. The least you can do is show them some respect by trying to do right by their pledges and focusing on getting things going, more than continuing to fight us (which is rather silly really, considering your backers are sticking, the only thing we maybe managed was stopping more people pledging, and I suspect making your Kickstarter private had a bigger effect on that than we did)

Still, it's sad but things like this happen, I backed Shovel Knight this week and I've backed other projects before and I imagine I will back more projects on Kickstarter, but in future will be making sure I know the full details before I pledge a penny.

Metallix87

I'm very disappointed in the way Kickstarter has been handling this mess. I've backed several legitimate projects in the past, but if they can't handle an obvious scam like this then Kickstarter will never see another dime from me.

I just canceled my pledge to the new Divinity, and won't be backing anymore video game Kickstarters in the future. This entire ordeal has just soured me on the entire Kickstarter concept, at least for the time being.

Pride

Just noticed good ole Suze gave a call out to this thread in her comments!

Suze - No one is trying to prevent a 9 year old girl from making an RPG, however lots of folks have pushed back on you violating KS TOS (Twitter bombs). There were also some that felt it was a fund my life project (also against KS TOS) and at the very beginning YOU (no one but YOU) made it a boys vs girls issue by stating your daughter wanted to prove your horrible sons wrong. Remember the $10k pledge that would get backers a signed apology from your sons?!? I'm curious as if the original intention was to prove that women were empowered why that isn't the basis for the RPG story vs internet trolls? Had your KS started where it is now you would have never seen the uprising against it but then again nor would you have broken the $10k mark so at the end of the day only you and your family can decide if it was worth it. Once the money is spent my hope is that your family has learned something valuable out of all this.

Suze - No one is trying to prevent a 9 year old girl from making an RPG, however lots of folks have pushed back on you violating KS TOS (Twitter bombs). There were also some that felt it was a fund my life project (also against KS TOS) and at the very beginning YOU (no one but YOU) made it a boys vs girls issue by stating your daughter wanted to prove your horrible sons wrong. Remember the $10k pledge that would get backers a signed apology from your sons?!? I'm curious as if the original intention was to prove that women were empowered why that isn't the basis for the RPG story vs internet trolls? Had your KS started where it is now you would have never seen the uprising against it but then again nor would you have broken the $10k mark so at the end of the day only you and your family can decide if it was worth it. Once the money is spent my hope is that your family has learned something valuable out of all this.

Thanks for this post :)

also, Kenzie was going to attend RPG Game STEM camp.

seriously.

Muku

Wow, finally caught up on reading everything. Expands beyond comments on the KS and here, but the continuing discussion on The Mommy Gamers site was interesting. Mad props to them for letting folks discuss it there without just censoring everything and all. Was interesting to read some of the comments over that way. Also went to GamingTrends, since Maria copy/pastad some stuff from there to Mommy Gamers site or something. And quite a few walls of text on the Kickstarter.

Sadly though, in the end, Susan won't be accountable. Would I love folks to come back, see what has happened, and remove their funding? Sure. But only because Susan refuses to answer some of the basic questions like: where is this money going to now that everything has been taken care of that she initially set the KS for? For someone so about truth and transparency, she is sure one to not really dabble in either, but rather use her kids as some kind of shield. Don't like being questioned even about something like your previous Kickstarter? Why answer it when you can go THIS IS ABOUT THE KIDS!!

EDIT: Curious, but has anyone heard from Dell regarding Susan apparently getting offered to go to Turkey and/or the laptop deal? I know she posted that one email from KS, the legitimacy I'm still skeptical of the authenticity of that letter due to it being poorly written, but was wondering if anyone has heard or seen anything from Dell?

EDIT: Curious, but has anyone heard from Dell regarding Susan apparently getting offered to go to Turkey and/or the laptop deal? I know she posted that one email from KS, the legitimacy I'm still skeptical of the authenticity of that letter due to it being poorly written, but was wondering if anyone has heard or seen anything from Dell?

I don't think so far she's caught lying about anything really. She's just been diverting the attention from any hot topics.

The only thing about the Dell story is that she could've reached out to Dell for "sponsoring" rather than Dell reaching out to her initially, as she stated it.

Muku

I don't think so far she's caught lying about anything really. She's just been diverting the attention from any hot topics.

The only thing about the Dell story is that she could've reached out to Dell for "sponsoring" rather than Dell reaching out to her initially, as she stated it.

That's possible, but my husband made a good point earlier today. When they do stuff like that, they put out press releases and stuff. They want folks to know about it. It's good press. So I'm thinking it's one or multiple things:

- she's making it up
- Dell won't say shit on this because while it's a feel good thing, they don't want potential backlash
- they're waiting until the end of this thing before they send it to them and/or maybe do a write up on it
- ??? (fill in with your own ideas)

I only really bring it up because I was filling my husband earlier today on the goings on. He hasn't kept up with it, so I keep him up to date mostly. I told him the recent stuff (trip, laptop, etc) and he asked me if we'd seen or heard anything from Dell. And I was like "You know what? We haven't..." which makes me question the validity. Not saying it's not true, but would seem odd that they keep the lid on such feel-good* news.

* I use this term loosely. It can be either/or depending on how you look at this.

That's possible, but my husband made a good point earlier today. When they do stuff like that, they put out press releases and stuff. They want folks to know about it. It's good press. So I'm thinking it's one or multiple things:

- she's making it up
- Dell won't say shit on this because while it's a feel good thing, they don't want potential backlash
- they're waiting until the end of this thing before they send it to them and/or maybe do a write up on it
- ??? (fill in with your own ideas)

I only really bring it up because I was filling my husband earlier today on the goings on. He hasn't kept up with it, so I keep him up to date mostly. I told him the recent stuff (trip, laptop, etc) and he asked me if we'd seen or heard anything from Dell. And I was like "You know what? We haven't..." which makes me question the validity. Not saying it's not true, but would seem odd that they keep the lid on such feel-good* news.

* I use this term loosely. It can be either/or depending on how you look at this.

Well, all of her "supporters" (Dell, Kickstarter, MIT, ...) are awfully quiet about it. Maybe she's been collecting debts for Dell with her company in the past and is that how this 'deal' came to be?

Edit: almost can't believe the project managed to raise another $163 these past two days... who are these people?

Brera

Banned
I've kinda skipped this thread but it keeps coming up.

I would totally boink her. Being a scammer makes it even more sexy!

Muku

Well, all of her "supporters" (Dell, Kickstarter, MIT, ...) are awfully quiet about it. Maybe she's been collecting debts for Dell with her company in the past and is that how this 'deal' came to be?

LOL @ last part. At least we've had confirmation that she is getting private lessons at MIT this summer. Kickstarter just sees dollar signs. Still think she knows someone in there to KEEP
it
UP.

Newest commenter on there .. I'm not sure what point they're trying to make in that. I mean I know she's irritated by the "trolls"... but in the middle I got lost as hell.

Seriously, an article on how old the girl is really? I could have a kid now and when I'm 43 she would be 9...I'm 34 and normally would be still able to have kids.

Wow... these people are clearly aware of what they're doing... they just don't care.

Ann Williams ~ Dream Traveler ~ said:
Seriously, this money could go towards (and probably won't make a dent in really though) her college education which is enough for me;

Muku

Wow... these people are clearly aware of what they're doing... they just don't care.

They're totally okay with breaking KS rules! Isn't it so nice? But if we were to do that we'd be shut down faster than you can say "Believe!"

Also, I should note that womans bio on Kickstarter is awkward as well. :/

RpgN

Can't believe it's still up. Even though it's still up, the money didn't increase a lot within a month. Last time it was around 21k, now it's something like 23k. This thread and other places definitely helped in preventing them from receiving a sickening amount of money.

They're totally okay with breaking KS rules! Isn't it so nice? But if we were to do that we'd be shut down faster than you can say "Believe!"

Anyway, this is awesome news for everyone willing to go to college and not being able to afford it. Just start a Kickstarter about whatever and Ann Williams (and probably 1400 others) will pledge.

I wonder if she would pledge if you start a Kickstarter that literally says "I want to go to college."

Funny because KS has strict rules that prevent something like this.

Damn, those rules are so in place! I can just feel them clicking the "cancel" button... [/sarcasm]

I also believe this comment will be deleted sooner or later, as it is against the rules guidelines.

Edit: lol @ Julie

w4SNs9t.jpg

Of course the "trolls" (surprisingly named "non backers" here, even though non backers can't leave comments) use code names, Julie! Where would be the fun for you, when you're going your fascist ways in trying to locate their real identitities and professions through your debt collector agency, if their names and pictures were just out there?

Edit 2: Just for reference: a bit later someone realised her argument wasn't all that credible, given her own avatar.

V6I3nlr.jpg

Muku

More than that, people in general should be a bit more wary of putting their real names out there. JCS found that out. But he was also only asked a simple question but freaked the hell out. I like how Julie says that but has no last name attached to it.

I like Benjamin's response. Also, TSIB has a good reminder for folks. Especially any Gaffers that might still have money tied to it. If you don't want your dollar going to Susan, be sure to remove it soon!
Not that I think it'll somehow miraculously go below the goal. Sigh.
But it is a good reminder time draws near.

Nokterian

I also believe this comment will be deleted sooner or later, as it is against the rules guidelines.

w4SNs9t.jpg

Of course the "trolls" (surprisingly named "non backers" here, even though non backers can't leave comments) use code names, Julie! Where would be the fun for you, when you're going your fascist ways in trying to locate their real identitities and professions through your debt collector agency, if their names and pictures were just out there?

She clearly doesn't understand that this is a forum. And that we are people who know what is happening and loads of them are having there roze tinted glasses on.

Zoe

w4SNs9t.jpg

OMG, she updated her profile picture since posting this :lol

Also, TSIB has a good reminder for folks. Especially any Gaffers that might still have money tied to it. If you don't want your dollar going to Susan, be sure to remove it soon!

Based on what can anyone with a dollar in there decide whether to leave it there or not? There is no budget note. Our best guess is that it will go to McKenzie's college education...

Nokterian said:
She clearly doesn't understand that this is a forum. And that we are people who know what is happening and loads of them are having there roze tinted glasses on.

I don't think it's about not understanding things. She's like the bulldog of the project that barks at every dissonant voice. Especially the foreign ones. :)

Nokterian

Based on what can anyone with a dollar in there decide whether to leave it there or not? There is no budget note. Our best guess is that it will go to McKenzie's college education...

I don't think it's about not understanding things. She's like the bulldog of the project that barks at every dissonant voice. Especially the foreign ones. :)

And i am foreign,guess she hates dutch people also. Utter disgracefull person to say the least.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
More than that, people in general should be a bit more wary of putting their real names out there. JCS found that out. But he was also only asked a simple question but freaked the hell out. I like how Julie says that but has no last name attached to it.

I like Benjamin's response. Also, TSIB has a good reminder for folks. Especially any Gaffers that might still have money tied to it. If you don't want your dollar going to Susan, be sure to remove it soon!
Not that I think it'll somehow miraculously go below the goal. Sigh.
But it is a good reminder time draws near.

Someone should reply to her.... "I agree, Julie Main Brown, you're correct. Nice pics! https://www.facebook.com/julie.m.brown.940"

I just noticed Kickstarter changed their guidelines... how long has this been like this?

Kickstarter said:
What is not allowed?

Kickstarter cannot be used to raise money for causes, whether it's the Red Cross or a scholarship, or for "fund my life" projects, like tuition or bills.

Originally

31mZ1Vz.jpg

So you CAN go on vacation now or buy a laptop. Bahamas, here we come! :)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
WTF is the funding going up, people are dumb as shit, but this is just a big ball of WUT that takes the cake.

"
Ann Williams ~ Dream Traveler ~ about 5 hours ago

Seriously, this money could go towards (and probably won't make a dent in really though) her college education which is enough for me; not sure what is going on here exactly but I knew there would be the trolls appearing who have nothing better to do with their lives than over-analyze a woman's effort to get her kid interested in something for when she is older."

I hope this woman will back my future children and their college educations on Kickstarter smh Make some sense before you type shit up.

Julie doesn't even deserve to be addressed, she's in Joseph's category of crazy in my book at this point.

lol at the guy saying the Veronica mars movie is more suspect than this.

Is RC talking about his own daughters here?

RC said:
@To the Backers
I am involved in the project right now and I know for a FACT of a child who will be working on the game, that if they get paid will use it to get a bunkbed for themselves and their siblings, something she always wanted. --- So, I will again say, 'Why is it anyone's concern on how the money is being spent, as long as it is towards the game'. ---- Your pledges will be helping the child, who will be working earnestly on the game. You guys should be proud of yourself... not only did you help Makenzie with her game, but also your generousity is helping a child, and maybe many others along the way.

So basically his daughters get paid and they will buy a bunkbed. :)

Also funny how he mentions that Susan told him how she plans on spending the money. Then why doesn't she tell that to all the backers?

They're thinking of selling the game? Someone should suggest that their stretch goal be map packs for paid DLC...preorder bonuses such as extra gold and golden shield of truth deflecting..Gamers love that type of stuff...

They're thinking of selling the game? Someone should suggest that their stretch goal be map packs for paid DLC...preorder bonuses such as extra gold and golden shield of truth deflecting..Gamers love that type of stuff...

For $200 you can actually name a shield, I think. So that Golden Shield of Truth Deflecting is a given if you got $200 to spare for Susan.

Gaspode_T

I just used the "Report this Project" button to report to Kickstarter. If people want to donate lots of money for children sake, donate it to Childrens Hospitals or research centers please. Kickstarter should not be for the charity of one 9 year old girl.

I just used the "Report this Project" button to report to Kickstarter. If people want to donate lots of money for children sake, donate it to Childrens Hospitals or research centers please. Kickstarter should not be for the charity of one 9 year old girl.

Plenty of people have reported the project. Kickstarter doesn't care.

Nokterian

I reported it also when it started,guess a lot of gaffers did but kickstarter did nothing about it.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Reported it along time ago, totally ignored. No fucks given by Kickstarter.

A new project update.

Let's see:

PROJECT UPDATE:
Susan said:
Whether it’s someone you love, someone you hate or someone you love to hate, 5 lucky backers will get to name their very own troll. At the close of this campaign, the 3 highest backers along with 2 backers from any level who will be randomly selected will earn the right to name a troll.

KICKSTARTER GUIDELINE:
Kickstarter said:
No contests, raffles, coupons, or lifetime memberships.

PROJECT UPDATE:
Susan said:
Truth & Trolls: The Pen and Paper Companion is an RPG sourcebook for people who enjoy the game and want to keep the experience going.
The book will be made available through PDF to backers and then available for sale on DriveThruRPG. The book will be developed by Rain Pletcher, a longtime gamer with a background in film and theater.

KICKSTARTER GUIDELINE:
Kickstarter said:
Projects cannot resell items or offer rewards not produced by the project or its creator.

Note from Kickstarter

About these guidelines
Kickstarter’s mission is to help bring creative projects to life. Since launching in April 2009, we’ve adjusted these guidelines several times — to add more of them to fit new uses, or to simplify them as we learn (and after seeing 100,000+ projects, we’ve learned a ton). The guidelines are never perfect, but we care deeply about trying to get them right. We aim to be as open as possible while protecting the health and creative spirit of Kickstarter for the long term. Thanks for reading.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The raffle thing is definitely valid.

She, and Kickstarter, would just argue that the book is part of the project. It wouldn't exist without the project, etc. Far from a slam dunk as a rules violation.

Top Bottom