• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MINDHUNTER |OT| Netflix Original Series - Oct 13

diaspora

That's not how you do spoilers, I just spoiled myself for an episode I hadn't seen. Please put which episode you're referring to before the quote.
You clicked on a spoiler tag without finishing the show, take responsibility for fucking up.
Anna Torv is grossly under-utilized in film and television.
Which I never understood considering how brilliant Fringe was, as was her performance.

TheOddOne

For spoiler tagging, best to label the episode you're discussing.

Don't do this:
This thing happens in episode 6.

Do this: Episode 6:
This thing happens.

Well i was expecting more of a Zodiac vibe. but that would mean more dark, paranoid.
And there is something like that with the main protagonist actually. The tickling principle is a weird case of something completely out of the criminal style of the show, yet it's really relevant for building the paranoid theme for Groff character.

But this is the thing there. Is the show an ambitious and wide period piece, a light investigation buddy show, a character drama about a cop fucking up cause of its ambition and wrong morals.... My problem with it is that it's trying to be a little of everything and it's weird to follow.
Completely disagree with your assessment of the show. Pretty obvious it's supposed to be a show, as one poster posted above, about the people that stare into the abyss more then the crimes themselves. I'd say it's also a show about bureaucracy in institutions and probably most of all it's holding a mirror up to our society and showing us we are at least in part culpable for creating these monsters. They almost beat you over the head with this sentiment so I'm not sure how it could be more clear.

To be fair the show is subtle in many other places but this theme is strong throughout. As for the personal stories of the characters they're our window into the world and sometimes a little levity or personal touch is needed when a show is essentially just talking heads.

I'd say up to ep eight it's my favorite show this year and maybe in quite a bit longer. Really has me questioning what our society is representative of on a macro and micro level and the themes are quite topical. Poverty and abuse are rampant today as much as then. Really great stuff but I can see it's not for everyone

I wish this had the killing recreations that Zodiac did (unless it does later on). The “I will throw your baby out of the window”, taxi, lake, and opening scenes were all so memorable to me. But it might’ve been too much budget (and CGI blood) for Fincher.

RangerX

Banned
I just finished the first two episodes and the show is fantastic. Theres something really intriguing about Holden. There is something off about him but charismatic at the same time.

nitewulf

I finished it in one day....amazing show. Netflix is hitting it out of the park again after a little dip. American Vandal, Mindhunter and Stranger Things Season 2 later this month...

Thoughts on s2:
So I'm guessing that Holden is going to take his anxiety attack (heart attack?) as a sign that he needs to slow down and reconnect with those in his life. I can see him trying to reconnect with Debbie. As for the BTK Killer, I assume he will be the teams first "big case".

TraBuch

Banned
I'm not gonna read the rest of this topic because I want to avoid any accidental spoilers, but yeah, I watched the first episode and liked it but holy shit, did anyone find the scene where Holden meets the lady at the bar an unbearable slog? It just went on and on and I was bored out of my mind by the entire conversation.

I almost started skipping through that part and I never skip through things when I'm watching a show for the first time.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Episode 8.

Damn, I thought he was just being paranoid but she really was cheating on him. Shit sucks, yo.

Dalek

Second episode:

This interview is fucking incredible. There’s nothing else like this on TV. Amazing performances and dialogue.

Episode 8.

Damn, I thought he was just being paranoid but she really was cheating on him. Shit sucks, yo.

Episode 10:
It's sad, because it's very clear that Debbie wants to be with Holden and vice versa, and yet neither of them are willing to put in the emotional or mental effort required to confront his increasingly toxic behavior due to his job. Even their breakup consists of both of them refusing to actually say anything.

I wish this had the killing recreations that Zodiac did (unless it does later on). The “I will throw your baby out of the window”, taxi, lake, and opening scenes were all so memorable to me. But it might’ve been too much budget (and CGI blood) for Fincher.

Yeah, with a movie budget theres a lot more he could have done with this. Still pretty good after ep2 for a tv series though.

Regarding the cinematography, is it just my imagination or is there a bit of chromatic aberration to the look of the show, especially toward the edges of the frame? If it is there, I'm assuming it's deliberate.

orioto

Good Art™
Completely disagree with your assessment of the show. Pretty obvious it's supposed to be a show, as one poster posted above, about the people that stare into the abyss more then the crimes themselves. I'd say it's also a show about bureaucracy in institutions and probably most of all it's holding a mirror up to our society and showing us we are at least in part culpable for creating these monsters. They almost beat you over the head with this sentiment so I'm not sure how it could be more clear.

To be fair the show is subtle in many other places but this theme is strong throughout. As for the personal stories of the characters they're our window into the world and sometimes a little levity or personal touch is needed when a show is essentially just talking heads.

I'd say up to ep eight it's my favorite show this year and maybe in quite a bit longer. Really has me questioning what our society is representative of on a macro and micro level and the themes are quite topical. Poverty and abuse are rampant today as much as then. Really great stuff but I can see it's not for everyone

Lol yeah sure, i love when people automatically treat someone not agreeing with them as stupid. Maybe you're confusing me with other saying they would have liked more of a seven mooded procedural show. I didn't want that.

I want what you're saying, and i'm not seeing that in that show, cause it's focused on more practical and anecdotal things. You can always see ideas and concepts in any piece of fiction but there is also what it's showing and telling.

I think Masters of Sex is better at showing the struggle to change ideas.
I think the wire is better at showing the struggle with administration.
And i still think the interesting theme of that show's concept, to me, is the actual discovering of the complexity of the human mind. That's what it should be about, and the way it shows those interviews without any subtlety doesn't convey that at all, to me.

No need to act like it's a show for smart people and stupid people don't get it, really.

Regarding the cinematography, is it just my imagination or is there a bit of chromatic aberration to the look of the show, especially toward the edges of the frame? If it is there, I'm assuming it's deliberate.

Yeah it’s there and it’s very deliberate, it’s Fincher, or at least him establishing the look. He’s extremely deliberate and meticulous. Going for a slightly retro look with it and the grain and the grit and jittering of the location title cards (like it was done the old way). I think it comes together quite nicely, it’s a solid looking show.

Unrelated, I don’t especially care for Holden (both performance and writing wise) but I really quite like Bill and what he brings to the show and the duo.

About to start episode 5.

This show gives me chills. It's so methodical, the dialogue is delivered well by all the actors, and all the little touches elevate moments, like the end of episode 4:
the drawn out elevator scene, and eventually everyone starts to smile.
That was so small, but so satisfying because it's seeing what I felt on screen.

I love it. Certain scenes and dialogue exchanges also give me chills.

Will definitely buy this when it hits blu-ray, and I hope it's a success.

I missed Anna Torv. The trio are so fun to watch.

Unrelated, I don’t especially care for Holden (both performance and writing wise) but I really quite like Bill and what he brings to the show and the duo.

Agreed, from Bill's physical type and haircut I expected his character to be sort of a rigid hard-ass, but he's really shown himself to be intelligent, perceptive, and quite a sympathetic character.

Just started. The pilot is good, but the lead doesn't seem to have much screen presence.

He's such a doofus in this. I get that they are intentionally making him naive and innocent but he just ain't working much for me right now

Otherwise the first two episodes are great. Visually it looks pretty similar to finchers last few movies he shot and the subject matter is really interesting

Lol yeah sure, i love when people automatically treat someone not agreeing with them as stupid. Maybe you're confusing me with other saying they would have liked more of a seven mooded procedural show. I didn't want that.

I want what you're saying, and i'm not seeing that in that show, cause it's focused on more practical and anecdotal things. You can always see ideas and concepts in any piece of fiction but there is also what it's showing and telling.

And i still think the interesting theme of that show's concept, to me, is the actual discovering of the complexity of the human mind. That's what it should be about, and the way it shows those interviews without any subtlety doesn't convey that at all, to me.

No need to act like it's a show for smart people and stupid people don't get it, really.
Lol that wasnt my intent at all. I was on a 15 minute break from my 14 hours work shift so apologies if I came off sounding like I thought you were too stupid to get it.

I was only offering my thoughts on the show. I'd agree that it's not even worth mentioning next to some of the greats (although using the wire as an example isn't even fair cause nothing matches that nor likely ever will last season aside) but I still think it's a well thought out show that conveys it's ideas pretty evenly. It's a five season plan supposedly so it may be that certain themes are only in there nascent form though.

I also think the interviews are meant to be salacious a bit but half of them are word for word the actual interviews so complaining about lack of subtlety isn't a fair argument against the show

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

This has been my takeaway so far. I've watched the first 7 episodes. I did think Episode 2 and 3 were stronger than the opener. But this has all the subtly of a freight train. Some of the interview scenes are well acted, that turned me around enough to keep watching. Maybe I'm just being spoiled by The Deuce right now.

This has been my takeaway so far. I've watched the first 7 episodes. I did think Episode 2 and 3 were stronger than the opener. But this has all the subtly of a freight train. Some of the interview scenes are well acted, that turned me around enough to keep watching. Maybe I'm just being spoiled by The Deuce right now.
I wonder if that’s one on the issues with the expectations? People were expecting more unsettling horror rather than methodical historical portrayal? A lot of those interviews are pulled straight from the actual transcripts

I wonder if that’s one on the issues with the expectations? People were expecting more unsettling horror rather than methodical historical portrayal? A lot of those interviews are pulled straight from the actual transcripts
Curious myself cause there's lots of complaints about the interviews and they're pretty clearly unfounded. The show lacks nuance for sure but I don't think it's worse for it. To my eyes it's painting with really broad strokes on purpose. The stories with the agents and side crimes are more ancillary. There to keep us interested etc. Not that they're devoid of value but I don't think they're the main point of the stories told.

I also think with a planned five season arc already mostly laid out there will be lots of room to grow the characters and flesh out some of the finer points

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I think a documentary would've worked better for me, maybe even one that is spruced up with re-enactments. The interview scenes are the best part, but they're also a little jarring in how they don't match the voice of the rest of the show. And none of the outside drama has really connected. So if the parts that they've probably spruced up for tv aren't keeping my interest, I'd rather just get full on accuracy. I wish they went more in depth with their theories or the methodology they're changing. That would kick up the FBI scenes another notch for me.

I think a documentary would've worked better for me, maybe even one that is spruced up with re-enactments. The interview scenes are the best part, but they're also a little jarring in how they don't match the voice of the rest of the show. And none of the outside drama has really connected. So if the parts that they've probably spruced up for tv aren't keeping my interest, I'd rather just get full on accuracy. I wish they went more in depth with their theories or the methodology they're changing. That would kick up the FBI scenes another notch for me.
I could definitely get behind your theory and methodologies statement but I'm not sure if it would work. May make the show too dry.

Honestly I wonder if the lack of it isn't actually by design. Since they're so clearly saying that there was no methodology and the FBI was all thrill kills and "the other" perhaps there's not much worth mining.

They're only just beginning to develop a sort of serial killer method for catching perps so maybe we'll get lucky and they'll dive deeper into that set of rules next season

You clicked on a spoiler tag without finishing the show, take responsibility for fucking up.

Are you fucked kidding me with that bullshit? If we have to finish the show before we can come in the thread why bother with spoiler tags at all.

Take the L dude for fucking up.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The show got me to google Sam Berkowitz and I had no fucking idea he is still ALIVE.

And just did an interview not too long ago

[CBSN]

Dalek

Man I’ve missed Anna Torv.

Episode 3-this show is right up my alley. Shaping up to be one of my favorite shows in a long, long time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When I saw Edmund Kemper (he's in the trailers, this is just a generic comment) I thought "damn could you be any more serial killer cliche? Come on guys..."

Then I saw his actual picture online, and he actually looks (or looked at least) exactly like that lol >_<

120v

just finished...

pretty sublime. definitely not your standard netflix insta-hook n binge so if the first few episodes left you a little iffy give it another shot

Like zodiac, this is a bit of a hard watch at times. Being based on true events.

4 episodes in and I'm really liking it. It has the heavyness of Zodiac. Great cinematography and look of the era.

Enjoy the elder FBI-agent alot. But can't place the actor.

neoanarch

Mention the episode number. That’s how you do spoiler tags for Netflix shows
That's a bit of an asinine rule especially when trying to discuss something not specific to a single episode. Which in a Netflix show is pretty common because of the binge. Isn't it best to assume that any unmarked spoilers are for the entire show? I don't even remember which episode the spoiler occured in.

Saw the entire show in one sitting. I didn't realize or recognize Anna Torv until like halfway into the show. I think I might be a bit face blind.

TheOddOne

That's a bit of an asinine rule especially when trying to discuss something not specific to a single episode. Which in a Netflix show is pretty common because of the binge. Isn't it best to assume that any unmarked spoilers are for the entire show? I don't even remember which episode the spoiler occured in.
Then spoiler tag accordingly. You're not tied to the episode number if you want to discuss aspects of the whole season.

For example:

Thoughts on Holden and Bill's relationship in S1:
Thoughts.
About Edmund Kemper in S1:
Thoughts.

Just give people enough information on what you're trying to discuss, so they know what they might get into (and potentially spoil for themselves).

neoanarch

Then spoiler tag accordingly. You're not tied to the episode number if you want to discuss aspects of the whole season.

For example:

Thoughts on Holden and Bill's relationship in S1:
Thoughts.
About Edmund Kemper in S1:
Thoughts.

Just give people enough information on what you're trying to discuss, so they know what they might get into (and potentially spoil for themselves).
But... When a spoiler is untagged just treat it like the second part.

TheOddOne

But... When a spoiler is untagged just treat it like the second part.
Because it's just common courtesy, because a) not everybody binge watches all the episodes at once, b) people tend to visit this thread after watching some episodes to discuss and compare notes, c) we have people who might be interested in the show after seeing the OP and it would be a shame to have all the major plotpoints on display without warning. Just respect your fellow viewer and spoiler tag accordingly.

The structure of the first season may suffer a bit from having everything planned out. It definitely feels like the introduction to a series rather than a complete chapter of one.

duckroll

Episode 8 was really good.
Totally agree with the rest of the team that Holden is in the wrong here. The Foot Tickler might sound like the genesis of another weirdo psychopath but it was definitely not a FBI matter and he should have left it alone. The final scene just proves that he's being vindictive and taking his own frustration about Debby out on a guy's career. What a prick.

neoanarch

Because it's just common courtesy, because a) not everybody binge watches all the episodes at once, b) people tend to visit this thread after watching some episodes to discuss and compare notes, c) we have people who might be interested in the show after seeing the OP and it would be a shame to have all the major plotpoints on display without warning. Just respect your fellow viewer and spoiler tag accordingly.
This is definitely not the place to get into it. But I don't see how it's disrespectful. Spoilers are spoilers. Its foremost a discussion thread so having to stop an go look up whether something you're discussing is a spoiler and which specific episode something is really kills discussion. I've found myself repeatedly just not bothering to get into threads because it's just not worth the hassle looking up a minor plotpoint.

Top Bottom