• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Better Together |OT| Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?

Cerium

FfekGUA.png

so70HU7.png

ymQFymN.png

t9Opm3I.png

Realm created!

Quote this message for the Realms address.

Great OT! All I ask is that you include a link to the update faq @ minecraft.net and if you could add PS3, X360, and Vita to the unsupported section since those systems have Minecraft as well.

Cerium

Great OT! All I ask is that you include a link to the update faq @ minecraft.net and if you could add PS3, X360, and Vita to the unsupported section since those systems have Minecraft as well.

If you click on any part of the Features section it'll take you to the FAQ!

I left those systems out because they're last gen and/or no longer supported by their manufacturers.

qko

This OT is for the "Better Together" update... or are you suggesting that the OP put 360, PS3 and Vita on the "not supported" side?

So for PC, does the java version get this too or is it just the windows 10 app version?

How far along has the W10 gotten to since they released it. Is the java version still the definitive version of Minecraft?

Nice OP! Maybe edit in Java Edition to the “Not Included” section though, since it’s a major version that will continue seeing support, and lots of folks aren’t sure if it’s joining the club.

So for PC, does the java version get this too or is it just the windows 10 app version?

How far along has the W10 gotten to since they released it. Is the java version still the definitive version of Minecraft?
Win10 only. Java is its own separate thing, and has been rebranded “Java Edition”, with the Better Together (i.e. Bedrock engine based) versions taking up the subtitle-less “Minecraft” branding.

It’s a lot closer now-a-days, but I don’t think it’s 1:1.

If you click on any part of the Features section it'll take you to the FAQ!

I left those systems out because they're last gen and/or no longer supported by their manufacturers.

Ah I missed that since I'm on mobile. And that works, great job!

This OT is for the "Better Together" update... or are you suggesting that the OP put 360, PS3 and Vita on the "not supported" side?

That's exactly what I wrote! When it comes to software I've always erred on the side of caution when discussing multiple versions since a lot of folks can get confused on why their version is no longer updated/compatible.

I know this is gaf, but there's always someone who needs the information.

Hexer06

Nice OT :D. I'm waiting for that 4k update to hit and I'll probly mess around in the game a bit more. Couldn't help but laugh in the Better Together FAQ:
Q: Is the Better Together Update safe for kids?

A: The Better Together Update will enable players to discover new content and creations across all devices, as well as the option to find new and like-minded players, as with any multiplayer game. Helping keep kids safe online is a priority for Minecraft, and we provide parental controls across platforms via Xbox LIVE which help parents choose the content, communication and sharing settings that are right for their families. For many, the most important of these is making sure that your kids are using child accounts which you have control over. To do this on Xbox, you can find out more at https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox-one-privacy-and-online-safety

Win10 only. Java is its own separate thing, and has been rebranded “Java Edition”, with the Better Together (i.e. Bedrock engine based) versions taking up the subtitle-less “Minecraft” branding.

It’s a lot closer now-a-days, but I don’t think it’s 1:1.

I've been really out of the loop. I assumed the win10 version was still just a rebranded pocket edition. Don't care much for mods so I guess I should take a look at the windows 10 version one day.

I've been really out of the loop. I assumed the win10 version was still just a rebranded pocket edition. Don't care much for mods so I guess I should take a look at the windows 10 version one day.
It is. Well, was and sorta is.

The Bedrock Engine/Better Together update was built upon the Pocket Edition. That includes Xbox One and Switch as well, naturally, since all versions updated to the Better Together version are now inherently the same game, which is the founding principle of the update.

It is. Well, was and sorta is.

The Bedrock Engine/Better Together update was built upon the Pocket Edition. That includes Xbox One and Switch as well, naturally, since all versions updated to the Better Together version are now inherently the same game, which is the founding principle of the update.

Bedrock engine sounds promising. The FAQ made this a lot more clear. Thanks.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Brutal.
Sony cast the dagger into themselves and now we can continue to twist it in the hopes that may one day wake up.

mattm025

What's up with the limited period to update for the disc owners? Do they plan on charging for the update after Jan. 30 2018?

I have the Windows 10 version but don't think I've received the update. Is it supposed to be the beta branch or are they updating the default version?

What's up with the limited period to update for the disc owners? Do they plan on charging for the update after Jan. 30 2018?

It's due to the fact that on Xbox One (and Switch) the Better Together update isn't actually an update, technically speaking. It's a whole new game that downloads and installs entirely separately. This new version is automatically added to the Xbox account of anyone who owns a digital license of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition. For disc owners though, MS has to check your online play history since they can't verify you own the disc. The minimum play time is so that people just can't endlessly pass around the same disc to anyone and everyone. (owning DLC also counts though, so you don't necessarily need the minimum playtime)

iOS means Mac as well right?

No.

The only "Mac" edition of the game is the original Java edition, which will remain its own, separate version.

I have the Windows 10 version but don't think I've received the update. Is it supposed to be the beta branch or are they updating the default version?

Check the store for updates, it should be up. Just a normal update. The beta wasn't even released as a separate branch, it was just early access to the patch.

Sciz

Still confused over the Super Duper graphics pack.
They seem to impy Xbox One is the only console getting it here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WHYJH-JGk

There's two graphical updates coming, one free for most platforms, and the paid SDGP for Xbox/W10 on top of that:

Finally, this Fall, we'll be releasing a free update that allows you to boost Minecraft's graphics. Minecraft will get 4K HDR graphics which include improved lighting, shadows, water effects... basically, it'll be like giving your eyes a luxury massage. This'll be available to folks playing on Xbox One, Windows 10, iOS, mobile, and VR - essentially every platform that gets our Better Together update.

We'll also be releasing new DLC, the Super Duper Graphics Pack. On top of the free 4K update, the Super Duper Graphics Pack introduces features like dynamic shadows, lighting that streams through fog, movement in leaves and grass, new textures for mobs and villagers, directional lighting, edge highlighting and more! This Pack will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and the Xbox One X (formerly known as Project Scorpio).

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/all-news-e3

It's not an "update" as it is a new Minecraft product. On my Xbox I have both "Minecraft: Xbox One Edition" and "Minecraft". They're separate things.

I don't think players even need the disc anymore for Better Together (it's digital only as far as I know?). Thus, the market is likely to get flooded with discs, and you can then trade it to people and everyone will get free copies of minecraft essentially. Gotta put a stop to that at some point. Disc owners have more than 3 months to get at least 5 hours of playtime (or buy a single DLC item). That's more than enough time since it includes the previous 12 months as well.

After that point, the disc will simply function as the Xbox One Edition like normal, even though it's not getting updated anymore. If you want Better Together update, then you'll need to purchase it.

Is realms is a little later on Xbox? I've got a 8 year old lad coming in from school today VERY excited.

Realms is there on Xbox.

JoeLT

How isn’t this a play anywhere title with Windows 10? They’ve gone through the trouble of making the Xbox version a whole new game and they didn’t do this. Microsoft just baffles me a lot of the time.

I don't think players even need the disc anymore for Better Together (it's digital only as far as I know?).

Yup. They're gifting disc owners fully licensed digital copies.

Right now it's digital only, but I'd be shocked if the retail versions of Xbox One Edition (and Switch Edition) weren't eventually replaced with this.

Is the DLC you have supposed to be unlocked in the new version? I haven't bought any, but some skin packs that came included don't seem to be available.

Texture packs I understand somehow, but for adding new graphic options I don't :/

Wonder when EA will follow this and start to charge for "Ultra graphics DLC".

I mean, that's basically what this is, and then some though. It's a full new resource pack, and a hefty one at that. They're not really typical graphics options so much as entirely new visuals. The upcoming 4K HDR update, which is free, is the analog to "Ultra Graphics Settings" on other games.

I get where you're coming from, and it is kinda weird for sure though.

Lazaro

I believe all Java version owners (PC, Mac, Linux) can still get a free redeemable code for the Windows 10 Version.

See here: https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/2064007

Mojang Support said:
How do I get the Windows 10 Edition for free?
Players who have purchased the PC/Java edition of Minecraft can get the Windows 10 Edition for free by visiting their Mojang account. Log into account.mojang.com, and under the “Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition” heading you will find a button to claim your gift code. Pressing the button will generate a token and send you to a Microsoft redemption page.

groansey

I mean, that's basically what this is, and then some though. It's a full new resource pack, and a hefty one at that. They're not really typical graphics options so much as entirely new visuals. The upcoming 4K HDR update, which is free, is the analog to "Ultra Graphics Settings" on other games.

I get where you're coming from, and it is kinda weird for sure though.

So 1080p users on XB1 aren't going to get the benefits of dynamic lighting, new textures and shaders?
Those are changes which would make me give the game another go. Especially if they came to Switch too.

So 1080p users on XB1 aren't going to get the benefits of dynamic lighting, new textures and shaders?
Those are changes which would make me give the game another go. Especially if they came to Switch too.
The FAQ says:

This Pack will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and the Xbox One X (formerly known as Project Scorpio).

So it seems like vanilla Xbox One and X1S consoles will support that pack, but it will likely perform poorly. Probably too demanding for Switch to run playably if that’s the case.

shiyrley

Banned
So the switch won't get either of the packs? I'm confused, I thought it was gonna get the non-4k one. I mean, it's gonna be released on Android lmao

Minecraft though. It's a decade old.
But the Super Duper pack isn’t.

So the switch won't get either of the packs? I'm confused, I thought it was gonna get the non-4k one. I mean, it's gonna be released on Android lmao
The Super Duper pack is MS ecosystem exclusive. The features of the “4K HDR update” (which includes more than 4K and HDR) are coming to all versions, with the exception of 4K output and HDR where not supported by the platform itself.

Gowans

Booted it up, looks like realms is totally there on Xbox 👍 I’ll be spending when the lad gets home

Lom1lo

Two questions:

1. Will the super duper pack be compatible with the skyrim/halo/.. mash ups ?
2. Is there cross-save ? Starting a world on xbox, loading this world on pc/switch ? (not realms)

groansey

Minecraft is 8 years old.

Cool to see that first forum post when it was alpha, but yeah, 8y4m is the best part of a decade. Point is the game looked bad when it was released, and although the dev graphics became iconic in their own way, I wouldn't have expected MC to be troubling modern consoles even with a new lick of paint.

Top Bottom