• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 1 - Review Thread

FDC1

Game is up on EU PS stores.

Episode 1 is 5.99€

Season pass (5 episodes) is 29.99€

Yes, it's more espensive to buy the season pass than each episode individually, don't ask.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You know who doesn't care about TWAU? Kids who care about Minecraft... also pretty much everybody else.

So on that note, what is the verdict for kids? The IGN review states "family friendly" but is there a feel for the age range that would enjoy it?

To a large extent this. I'd say almost all of those reviews above hold zero water for my 12 year old. He'll want to play regardless, and I'm not sure a single one of those reviews actually speak to him anyways in any meaningful way.

The entrenched old games media just doesn't seem capable of really reviewing thing such as these.

This is a game where I wish Peer Schneider or John Davison were doing the review.

Just give us TWAU 2 please.

First post gets it ahhh I love all this TWAU love that gets brought up in every Telltale thread. It's still my favorite TT game. The soundtrack and graphics style and overall mood are totally unmatched.

Anyway, back on topic, but I know I'll probably pick this up eventually, but unlike almost any other Telltale release it'll probably be after the season is over and it's on sale or something. Not feeling the excitement but I'm sure it'll end up being better than people probably expect.

eksy

Banned
storafötter;181463022 said:
Seems like their releases are started to see a drain in quality according to these reviews. Game of Thrones was rubbish of what I tried and Tales of Boarderlands despite its charms it still nothing outstanding or too memorable. Starting to believe that the magic they made on The Walking Dead season 1 wont ever come back any time soon.

You are not mistaken. Although I favor Tales ot Borderlands (mainly because of Laura Bailey).

TTG quality has dropped since then, or has been very spotty. (TWAU was good IMO). But they just haven't been consistent with the quality for consumers to put full faith into them (and commit to purchasing Season Passes blindly anymore).

They set off with TWD S1 because the time it released was ripe; it was all about zombies and they dev. good characters and plot. The novelty then began to wear off, similar to how overplayed the "this character will remember this" prompt had become.

I'm sure this will sell like crazy. At this point you could take a turd, label it minecraft and sell a shit ton. Sounds like this is one of the worst Tell Tale games, but still decent enough.

storafötter;181463022 said:
Seems like their releases are started to see a drain in quality according to these reviews. Game of Thrones was rubbish of what I tried and Tales of Boarderlands despite its charms it still nothing outstanding or too memorable. Starting to believe that the magic they made on The Walking Dead season 1 wont ever come back any time soon.

You are not mistaken. Although I favor Tales ot Borderlands (mainly because of Laura Bailey).

TTG quality has dropped since then, or has been very spotty. (TWAU was good IMO). But they just haven't been consistent with the quality for consumers to put full faith into them (and commit to purchasing Season Passes blindly anymore).

They set off with TWD S1 because the time it released was ripe; it was all about zombies and they dev. good characters and plot. The novelty then began to wear off, similar to how overplayed the "this character will remember this" prompt had become.

They are mistaken, Tales and Wolf Among Us are better or at least on par with the first season of walking dead. The writing is miles ahead of like 90% of all the other games out there, the only thing inconsistent about them is their shitty ass engine which they deserve all the flak for. Also if you don't find Tales from the Borderlands memorable then your memory is rubbish.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Probably gonna be the first Telltale game since TWD S1 that I don't buy at episode 1. I'm certainly open to it after being wrong about Borderlands though.

Akiraptor

I downloaded this on Steam on my Mac, and it basically completed the download instantaneously, which shouldn't happen. When I try to run the game, it says that it's "Missing Executable."

I did what Steam said to do (delete the Appcache folder and restart everything) but that didn't work. I don't use Steam very often, so I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone know a fix?

Karak

My review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gffci5Vhnc

If you don't like video reviews basically:

In my opinion the best start to a game series Telltale has done with excellent gameplay that actually somewhat mirrors the title its cribbing from. Overall a great reflection of the original fiction and an even better extension of it. I enjoyed this easily as much as any of the episodes in Wolf.

My review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gffci5Vhnc

If you don't like video reviews basically:

In my opinion the best start to a game series Telltale has done with excellent gameplay that actually somewhat mirrors the title its cribbing from. Overall a great reflection of the original fiction and an even better extension of it. I enjoyed this easily as much as any of the episodes in Wolf.

Interesting, but still doesn't seem like my kind of thing. I will check it out when it comes out on disc assuming it cheap enough, more than likely.

WillyFive

Some of the little details, like how a tree will catch fire one block at a time, are wonderful; but stuff like the art for the characters' faces are simply terrible. Possibly the least likable face design and animation anyone could consciously go after.

Story so far is certainly not as witty as the Lego Movie, but if you were a kid to would be wonderful, with a lot of interesting twists in the plot that keep it moving and developing.

ElNino

My son is going to love this I think. Not sure if I'll give it a shot, but I am a big fan of the TWD and TWAU games.

Overside

Banned
If you put actual minecraft and this side to side, its like a representation of the de evolution of design of sixth gen to seventh gen.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I think it's interesting that my review on IGN and GameSpot's review both use the word "pleasant" as our primary descriptor for the game.

I enjoyed the episode - I liked my time with it. But once it was over, it was easy to forget.

Might as well ask this in a Telltale thread since knowledgeable people are here: is Tales from the Borderlands worth a look for someone who liked The Walking Dead well enough (but not enough to follow it into Season 2) and liked the Borderlands 2 campaign well enough (but not enough to follow it into the DLC or Pre-Sequel)? For reference, I love old point-and-click adventures with robust dialogue trees, but thought The Walking Dead was a bit insubstantial once it became clear that the choices were mostly illusory and all about defining the character and attitude of the protagonist, plus a few minor variations, rather than making any serious branching impact on the story.

Karak

Interesting, but still doesn't seem like my kind of thing. I will check it out when it comes out on disc assuming it cheap enough, more than likely.

It didn't seem like my kind of thing either but I consider it a far more enjoyable start to a series than most of the other titles. Additionally the extension of the fiction into a different title allows you to explore Minecraft here and understand or at least pick up on more concerning Minecraft as a title. I loved that. It really is a better reflection of its mother fiction than most of the other Telltale titles to me. It might be because its a bit less angsty and backstabby than the others and so in a way the younger age range helps.

Might as well ask this in a Telltale thread since knowledgeable people are here: is Tales from the Borderlands worth a look for someone who liked The Walking Dead well enough (but not enough to follow it into Season 2) and liked the Borderlands 2 campaign well enough (but not enough to follow it into the DLC or Pre-Sequel)? For reference, I love old point-and-click adventures with robust dialogue trees, but thought The Walking Dead was a bit insubstantial once it became clear that the choices were mostly illusory and all about defining the character and attitude of the protagonist, plus a few minor variations, rather than making any serious branching impact on the story.
You pretty much just described me to a t. Tales is interesting if a bit unsurprising overall. I also find it has the most variability between titles and my enjoyment.

Humdinger

I suspect from what you say that you are too particular about choice/consequence to enjoy it. If the lack of meaningful choice in TWD Season 1 bothered you, you should note that there is much less c/c in Tales from the Borderlands. And if you considered TWD Season 1 "insubstantial," then Tales from the Borderlands will seem like a wisp in the wind.

For my money, it's the second best series Telltale has done. You are probably better off looking elsewhere, though.

N° 2048

Wow this game has surpassed all expectations so far. Decent dialogue, fun interaction and the
montage QTEs
were fucking hilarious.

Also kudos for being able to choose a male or female character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Borderlands ended up being amazing even tho I wrote it off based on the premise, but having said that, I still have zero interest in this one :/

I'm sure this will sell like crazy. At this point you could take a turd, label it minecraft and sell a shit ton. Sounds like this is one of the worst Tell Tale games, but still decent enough.
They still made that terrible Jurassic Park game. This is middle of the road for them.
But I agree this will sell buckets.

Karak

Wow this game has surpassed all expectations so far. Decent dialogue, fun interaction and the
montage QTEs
were fucking hilarious.

Also kudos for being able to choose a male or female character.

Same here. One of their most enjoyable titles

FrsDvl

Considering my 4 year old daughter played through the whole thing (with my help) in one sitting, I think they did a pretty decent job. There isn't much out there that can keep her attention for 2 hours straight in one sitting.

I'm not a fan of telltale games, haven't enjoyed any of them myself, but this is a good way to get some new and younger fans for them. It's a nice little break from just playing Minecraft.

I'll be firing this up for my son tonight and just sitting back to watch him enjoy the story mode. Can it be played via online coop? Also is it available only for consoles or can I get it on Windows 10 beta Minecraft version as well?

Sendero

This was exactly me. Long story short: Tales from the Borderlands is nothing like The Walking Dead. You don't fear for the life of your partners or major consequences, the choices (with few exceptions) feels mostly meaningless.

-But- if you are willing to accept it as a fun on-rails adventure (more akin to a cartoon with interactive parts), and you embraced the weird characters on Borderlands 2, I think you will like it.

And all for the same reason: You don't have to weight your options, so you just sit and enjoy the moment. It does have some dull parts, but I did laugh a couple of times (specially one cameo) and the main characters are sort of endearing. Chapter 1 is kind of slow, but it sets everything in motion.

Edit: Actually, found a bug where some interactable hotspots dissappear, but you can fix it by picking others and retry.

Zolo

Yeah kinda crazy. Gaf doesn't seem to give two shits about this one. Curious if the market notices it, or if it just slips by unnoticed.

That's not surprising since I don't think I've even seen a Minecraft thread around here before.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'll be firing this up for my son tonight and just sitting back to watch him enjoy the story mode. Can it be played via online coop? Also is it available only for consoles or can I get it on Windows 10 beta Minecraft version as well?

This is a separate game not actually directly associated with the main Minecraft client.

Top Bottom