• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 1 - Review Thread

Reset

An 80 doesn't equal a B in NY schools? Outside of a select few college courses I've never seen otherwise.

B's are mediocre??

Yes? Low 80's isn't very good, 85/B is considered to be average. C's are you barely passing the class, anything below that is basically failing.
Even in middle/high school, the 80's range/B was consider to be average. Nothing really to be proud of.

Considering my 4 year old daughter played through the whole thing (with my help) in one sitting, I think they did a pretty decent job. There isn't much out there that can keep her attention for 2 hours straight in one sitting.

I'm not a fan of telltale games, haven't enjoyed any of them myself, but this is a good way to get some new and younger fans for them. It's a nice little break from just playing Minecraft.

Thanks for providing some actual information about the game!

FaintDeftone

Just finished it. The podcast I co-host called The Gaming Outsider will be recording a review episode on this game tomorrow.

The game is certainly aimed towards children. The story was kinda boring up until the halfway point where it became a little more fun. Didn't really care for any of the characters. One of the lesser Telltale games but kids will enjoy it.

Yes? Low 80's isn't very good, 85/B is considered to be average. C's are you barely passing the class, anything below that is basically failing.
Even in middle/high school, the 80's range/B was consider to be average. Nothing really to be proud of.

In NY Public Schools a B isn't good and is only "average"?

As a public school teacher myself, B's are good, you are performing well, but you could do better and have room for improvement. Probably a few areas you can improve, give more effort, could have had 1 poor test, etc.

Also, assuming you were talking NY Public schools (I do not teach in NY btw, I am in Indianapolis) I know NY Public School still use the same GPA Scales as all other schools. So a B is still a 3.0, and these are the exact same GPA Scales used by colleges for entrance requirements. Sure, some colleges may not let you in with a 3.0 average GPA because of their specific requirements, but some smaller colleges will still accept that for entrance.

SURGEdude

Telltale is the worst with discounts before they even finish the series. Never buy the season non-discounted.

Nothing fucking worse than getting 75% off for new buyers before the series is even over.

Orca

Played the first chapter and it's pretty funny. Controls are better than most of the TTG titles have been, not slow and clunky like I found Game of Thrones. My kids are going to love it.

Plasma

Banned
Telltale is the worst with discounts before they even finish the series. Never buy the season non-discounted.

Nothing fucking worse than getting 75% off for new buyers before the series is even over.
Think what makes it worse as well is that this is coming out before they've even announced a date for the last Game of Thrones episode. Basically saying yeah fuck those guys we already have their money lets try and sell our new thing first.

antitrop

Think what makes it worse as well is that this is coming out before they've even announced a date for the last Game of Thrones episode. Basically saying yeah fuck those guys we already have their money lets try and sell our new thing first.

Tell me about it. Game of Thrones is terrible and I'm only looking forward to the last episode at this point for the Platinum Trophy, but yeah, fucking Telltale.

I have no idea why Game of Thrones was an uncharacteristic 6-episode series, in the first place. 5 is clearly the sweet-spot, no idea why they decided to fuck with that.

I'll pick it up during the 2016 winter sale. I'm not even worried about the reviews, I've just played too many Telltale games this year.

ekim

Played the first episode yesterday and it is WAY to easy and obviously directed at kids but it's a nice feel-good game. The voice acting is very good but I would've wished for some more epic music.

Cmagus

Just finished episode one and I gotta say it was pretty enjoyable. This is the first Tell Tale game I've played and I like what they did with it. Playing this though just made me want the real Minecraft to add things like better lighting and effects because honestly this game looks incredible and even though there are mods it would be nice to see Minecraft get a nice graphical upgrade. Overall it was very easy and easy to 100% but I'm interested to see where the story goes.

Here are some screens and it would be totally doable as well to make Minecraft look this good without taxing systems that much.
QcjjDi2.png

WMiJWaz.png

NgUZQ6H.png

i63tjiE.png

Tizoc

^It's a price error; when you go to buy it, the discount racks up to 85% just got this one for under $4 XP

Long have my nephews asked me to get Minecraft for my PS4 so they could play it whenever they visit.
How is this game for 6 year olds and older to play? Would they enjoy it?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Considering getting the story mode since its on deal on xbox for black friday

is it worth it?

Camjo-Z

Considering getting the story mode since its on deal on xbox for black friday

is it worth it?

Unless you have a younger relative who also wants to play it... not really. It's clearly a game designed for kids with everyone else as an afterthought. The plot is really simplistic and generic, and the gameplay is even more linear than the typical Telltale game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Unless you have a younger relative who also wants to play it... not really. It's clearly a game designed for kids with everyone else as an afterthought. The plot is really simplistic and generic, and the gameplay is even more linear than the typical Telltale game.

Ah :(

I'll not bother. Thanks though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got episode 1 for 10c and my son beat it. Ended up using my Google rewards credit to buy the season pass for 15 on Android. I actually ran through it this morning and quite enjoyed episode 1. My son is playing episode 2 on a spare phone as I type this. I might end up double dipping on PC or console down the line.

MaKTaiL

There is no OT for this game? I couldn't find it.

Anyway, I just got the full season pass on PSN for $11,99. Pretty great deal IMO. I'm a huge fan of Telltale and Minecraft was the only one I was missing out. I just finished Episode 1 and I loved it. It has that Borderlands comic vibe that was so great on Tales. I personally never played the original Minecraft and I don't plan too but the story Telltale created is really compeling. Can't wait to play the rest.

Go Order of The Pig!

Top Bottom