• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Windows 10 version

sangreal

I hope fullscreen is filed under "other pcgamerthings." The fact it wasn't included from the start is mind boggling.

My thoughts exactly.

Jds7VPG.png

mojang_tommo 11 points 6 hours ago

The next Windows 10 build is going to be submitted today! It should be out on the 12th or something :)
It adds 32 bit, full screen, the FOV slider and a ton of fixes, but no enchanting or cross play yet. That will happen in the version that comes out together with PE 0.12!

strata8

Just discovered you can increase the draw distance by editing options.txt in
Code:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\games\com.mojang\minecraftpe

Here's the in-game max (384):
iDTjpGf.png

And set to 1024:
HZuXhgW.png

Tarin02543

Code:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\games\com.mojang\minecraftpe

Very impressive.

What I really dislike is that there is no way to sign in on Live through the MC app. I am forced to generally log into windows 10 with my microsoft account before I can play MC.

I hope fullscreen is filed under "other pcgamerthings." The fact it wasn't included from the start is mind boggling.
It'll be in the next update. Talked to the guys at Mojang at GC during a presentation. It was a technical limitation that was out of their hands at release, which they've since fixed in a build.

Red

Code:
%LocalAppData%PackagesMicrosoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbweLocalStategamescom.mojangminecraftpe

http://i.imgur.com/iDTjpGf.png[IMG]

And set to 1024:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HZuXhgW.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
How's memory use with the increase?

belmonkey

I tested out the 1024 render distance and it completely destroys performance on my laptop that would otherwise run the game fine at 60 fps. Don't know how to monitor performance in this version, but it felt below 10 fps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I tested out the 1024 render distance and it completely destroys performance on my laptop that would otherwise run the game fine at 60 fps. Don't know how to monitor performance in this version, but it felt below 10 fps.

at 352 distance, about 8% CPU and 300MB memory usage. (3570k desktop)

at 1024, it settles down to about 37% CPU and 1.3GB memory usage (once the chunks have been generated)

Avalt

at 352 distance, about 8% CPU and 300MB memory usage. (3570k desktop)

at 1024, it settles down to about 37% CPU and 1.3GB memory usage (once the chunks have been generated)

At 1024 GPU-Z has show my 680 GTX to be using ALL of my cards 2GB memory which killed performance.

At 768 only 1.8GB were used and my performance returned to normal :p

System: i5 2500k @4.4GHz, 16GB, 256 Intel SSD, 680 GTX

Red

I have two PCs set up right now, one with a gtx660 and one with an A10-5800k. Both maintain 60fps easily by default. I'll have to see how far I can push the render distance before tanking performance.

Code:

iDTjpGf.png

And set to 1024:
HZuXhgW.png

did you get any kind of performance hit? the game runs like butter on my old pc but something like that I could see dropping my frames.

*edit* ok sounds like my gtx260 with 800~ MB ram would really suffer at that range.

My nephews basic laptop runs the game at 60fps if I keep the in-game draw distance on the second from left setting, otherwise it's 30fps and feels wrong to me.

Best thing about this windows 10 version is the big performance increase over the java version which runs like a dead horse on the same laptop at any setting.

Red

If I have the normal version of Minecraft, should I go get the Windows 10 edition now that I am using Windows 10?
The Windows 10 edition is based on the pocket edition. It is competent but behind the main PC release in quite a few ways. I like it for having controller support. Try it out and see if you like it. It's fine, but definitely doesn't replace the main branch.

belmonkey

Best thing about this windows 10 version is the big performance increase over the java version which runs like a dead horse on the same laptop at any setting.

I dunno how much of a performance increase there is over the java version yet due to the FPS lock on the W10 version. The java version used to run horribly for me, but updates over time seemed to push my fps solidly over 120 fps, which was a surprise after having given up that version for over a year due to performance issues. I find pop-in pretty bad on the java version though.

The Windows 10 edition is based on the pocket edition. It is competent but behind the main PC release in quite a few ways. I like it for having controller support. Try it out and see if you like it. It's fine, but definitely doesn't replace the main branch.
Not yet anyway. It's still a Beta, but in the long run it should rival the main release when it comes to features etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
when I play on win 10, my server shows up on my daughter's ipad. Red version number but hopefully it means we'll get cross-platform pretty soon.

Might look into realms as well. If you can't set up private servers on your own PC anymore, I'd be willing to look at renting an 'official' server so my kids can play with their friends.

Elija2

Have they said when they expect the W10 version to come out of beta? I wanna buy it before the price goes up but I also want to wait and see what features and improvements they add.

I've never understood why it needed a new version like this to add controller support to the pc version.

That's not all this new version does. It's completely rewritten in C++ so it runs more efficiently than its Java counterpart. But I do think the Java version should've supported controllers once they released the 360 version.

I've never understood why it needed a new version like this to add controller support to the pc version.

It's performance on older devices is 10 times better, it's going to be compatable with pocket edition for multiplayer, it's not a replacement for minecraft but more like a version that will run on windows 10 tablets, low end laptops and I think windows phone, could be wrong on that last one.

It's performance on older devices is 10 times better, it's going to be compatable with pocket edition for multiplayer, it's not a replacement for minecraft but more like a version that will run on windows 10 tablets, low end laptops and I think windows phone, could be wrong on that last one.
Yep it's meant to be a cross device game to fit with their universal app strategy

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/04/announcing-minecraft-windows-10-edition-beta/

Vecks

Trying to play on 2 computers with the Windows 10 edition, and I can't seem to get the local multiplayer or online working. Nothing shows up, and xbox on windows 10 is not cooperating. Is it supposed to be working now?

EDIT: Wait. They just released an update today? Gonna update first and see if that fixes the problem.

EDIT2: Yup. That did the trick.

MORT1S

I take it the update is one of Microsoft's "Wave" roll-outs?

I haven't received the update, nor can I force it in the store.

Stitch

Gold Member
well that's weird. went to the store to update minecraft but there was no update. launched minecraft and it was already updated.

jbug617

Banned
Here is info on the update
https://mojang.com/2015/08/windows-10-edition-beta-0-12-2-0/

Notable improvements & bug fixes:

Real fullscreen now enabled
Sprinting should work like PC
Make FOV changeable

Other things:

Anvil UI works better- you can access the main UI while renaming/repairing & can place items in the second slot
Minecarts don’t disappear when you enter the nether
“Repopulation” achievement fixed
Squid able to be pulled with a fishing rod
Creative world saves can be imported to the Trial version
Nether brick slab now craftable
You can keep chatting with your friends when you get on a boat
Fixed spawning/respawning in the Nether & in flat worlds
Mining emerald ore fixed for correct pickaxe types
Custom skins tab fixed
Enchanted books now include enchantment names
Fixed scenario where writing signs would cause the game to crash
Fixed issues with furnaces & chests not working
Fixed crashes when players repeatedly entered & left the Nether
Audio file fixes
Fixed crashes for players with non-ASCII characters in names.
Fixed world progress saved game issue.

Wil348

Since the latest update, I've been having an issue where the sound is completely absent. The first time I started the game up post-update, it was fine, the sound was there. I exit out and start again, gone. I've tried switching audio drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, nothing has worked for me and I'm honestly not sure what I can do. Any suggestions?

mdotkone

Neo Member
Would love to try it, but every since upgrading my PC to Windows 10 my wifi adaptor has disappeared completely... from device manager included!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I finally got the chance to try this out yesterday. I have to say it runs very well, I even increased the draw distance to 1024 and it still runs great. What sucks is how far behind in content it is compared to the java version. I just can't fathom any good reason to play this W10 version over the java version, so much stuff is missing from it. If they can get feature parity though, well that would be fantastic.

So maybe some day I'd play this new version, but for now, it's just a novelty for me that will go unplayed sadly.

MCN

Banned
Can't adjust the keyboard controls in the Windows 10 version: that is a pain as I'm left handen with the mouse.

It annoys me as well, because I've been instinctively using "B" for inventory ever since the very old "Classic" version that used to be available on the Minecraft website.

Dinskugga

The Windows 10 edition is so much better performance wise then the java version. its like night and day.

im hoping that Mojang are gonna push out updates to this version. So i can go away from the java version.

0.12.1 is out: Fluff

What's new in version 0.12.1

The Nether and all its inhabitants. Fight Ghasts and make friends with Pigmen
Cross platform play for up to five players between Pocket Edition and Windows 10
Revamped touch controls, controller support, and a controller mapping screen
Enhanced Weather effects! Accumulating snow and more
Ocelots! Try taming one with a fish
Experience, Anvils, Brewing, and enchantments. Time to up your game, crafter
Golems. We recommend you approach with caution
Flower pots. We recommend you fill them with flowers
Sneaking and sprinting! Express yourself through movement!
Loads of bug fixes that are too boring to list here
Lots, lots more!

Windows Phone and Amazon store versions updated, but no iOS or Android until tomorrow.

0.12.1 is out: Fluff

Windows Phone and Amazon store versions updated, but no iOS or Android until tomorrow.
And there is another update which came out today which brings with it multiplayer with friends on Xbox Live
https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingw...craft-windows-10-edition-beta-gets-an-update/

• NEW! For the first time ever, play cross-platform multiplayer on your local network with up to 4 friends using Minecraft: Pocket Edition.
  • NEW! Play in the beta with up to 4 of your Xbox LIVE friends both near and far in online multiplayer.
  • NEW! Buff up your equipment with special effects from enchanting tables.

Stupid question - Has mining been added to Survival yet? I cant get any rocks from punching.

You need to craft a pickaxe first.

Punch some trees, get some wood. Make a crafting table. Craft some wooden sticks and wooden planks, and you'll be able to make a wooden pickaxe, which you can use to mine stone and coal.

Top Bottom