• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Windows 10 version

Red

I'm enjoying the beta, but it's strange to have Xbox edition achievements with Pocket Edition content. So you can't actually build enchantment tables or make potions etc despite the game indicating this is possible.

Gnubberen

Neo Member
Downloaded this on my PC. Not sure how I feel about it yet, don't really play much Minecraft but it seems like a step back as far as options go and somewhat seems like a way to charge you for skins.

Well if you hit the "browse" button in the skin menu, you will be able to attach any minecraft skin you have laying around on your pc... So maybe only for model altering skins.

Lazaro

I bought the Windows 10 version. My daughters Windows Store uses my MS account so she has access to my purchases. Anyone know if she could download Win10 Minecraft and sign in under her Live account or will it be tied to mine?

She should be able to. Just tested with my brothers laptop. The Store is using my Microsoft Account and Xbox Enabled games sign in on his Microsoft/Xbox Live account.

Just make sure she has her own User Account on the PC that's using her Microsoft Account.

onken

God this is bad. The mouse acceleration is revolting and no configuration at all. At least it doesn't need Java I guess?

Red

Does anyone know where this installs to? I'm trying to create a link in Steam but can't file the damn .exe.

epmode

Does anyone know where this installs to?

Probably installs like other Windows 10 apps so it'll be forced to use your Windows drive. I downloaded Crossy Road through the Windows Store and the executable is here:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Yodo1Ltd.CrossyRoad_s3s3f300emkze\AC\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\NativeImages\CrossyRoad\4294b51efbc82c5c900d628b9c1dff33

Red

Probably installs like other Windows 10 apps so it'll be forced to use your Windows drive. I downloaded Crossy Road through the Windows Store and the executable is here:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Yodo1Ltd.CrossyRoad_s3s3f300emkze\AC\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\NativeImages\CrossyRoad\4294b51efbc82c5c900d628b9c1dff33

There are minecraft .dat files within AppData, but the minecraft program itself must be somewhere else. I think it might be within the Program Files\WindowsApps folder, which is protected and has no apparent way of taking ownership.

shiyrley

Banned
I read everywhere that it's only free for java users while it's beta, so after it's out of beta, I can't play the game anymore or do I keep it?

Ecto311

If I download this on my laptop and desktop can I play with my daughter on different machines or do I need to buy 2 copies?

The good: Minecraft win10 runs really smooth on my nephews basic laptop compared to the java version which was sub-30fps most of the time even with low visuals, wind10 version stays around 60 with view distance set to 2 and fullscreen.

The bad: my windows tablet (quad core 1.3ghz) from last year is unsupported, the windows store is telling me I need a device with more features... This is a tablet which can play arkham asylum and a bunch of other steam games.

Rather annoyed at that otherwise the new build is good and much smoother, hope it stays that way as they add in more features.

bobawesome

Oooh, I forgot that I get a free copy. Time to dig through my Hotmail account for that code.

edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaand I redeemed it under the wrong account. Oh well.

Hold the phone, this is the first I've heard of this. Is there any way to override this? My SSD is small enough as it is, I'd use the W10 store even less if I was forced to install all their games on that drive.

Lazaro

Hold the phone, this is the first I've heard of this. Is there any way to override this? My SSD is small enough as it is, I'd use the W10 store even less if I was forced to install all their games on that drive.

There is a setting in the "System" page under "Storage" in the Settings app.

strata8

They're planning the option to install apps on another drive (or move existing ones) but it's not finished yet. You can see the options in 'Settings > System > Storage' and' Settings > System > Apps & features' but they're greyed out.

Lazaro

They're planning the option to install apps on another drive (or move existing ones) but it's not finished yet. You can see the options in 'Settings > System > Storage' and' Settings > System > Apps & features' but they're greyed out.

That makes sense. I thought something was preventing my drive. lol

mcrommert

Banned
The good: Minecraft win10 runs really smooth on my nephews basic laptop compared to the java version which was sub-30fps most of the time even with low visuals, wind10 version stays around 60 with view distance set to 2 and fullscreen.

The bad: my windows tablet (quad core 1.3ghz) from last year is unsupported, the windows store is telling me I need a device with more features... This is a tablet which can play arkham asylum and a bunch of other steam games.

Rather annoyed at that otherwise the new build is good and much smoother, hope it stays that way as they add in more features.
You are running 32 bit windows

shiyrley

Banned
You keep it.
Cool, thanks.

Right now I see little reason to use this version, but once it gets parity with the Java features I will see little reason not to use it.

Still what they should have done is update the Xbox One version to have infinite worlds and then port that version to PC with PC - Xbox One crossplay. But oh well.

RAWi

Does anyone know which are the minimum specs for this Windows 10 Beta version?

I am making a friend of mine get into Minecraft (I just bought this version, first time with minecraf, but we both are a lot into Terraria). But my friend's Laptop... well is weak as poop

Does anyone know which are the minimum specs for this Windows 10 Beta version?

I am making a friend of mine get into Minecraft (I just bought this version, first time with minecraf, but we both are a lot into Terraria). But my friend's Laptop... well is weak as poop

I don't think I've seen one, but if the laptop's capable of running Windows 10 it'll run this version of Minecraft just fine.

Tagyhag

I'm enjoying the beta, but it's strange to have Xbox edition achievements with Pocket Edition content. So you can't actually build enchantment tables or make potions etc despite the game indicating this is possible.

No enchantment tables? Just how old is this version? Why even bother?

ColdBrew

Neo Member
how did you connect the controller? I have a wireless 360 dongle for pc but never got it working in windows 10 when I tried a few weeks ago.

I did an upgrade from Windows 7 and it just worked. It works fine with the Xbox app to stream games but not with Minecraft Windows 10 version.

Lynn616

She should be able to. Just tested with my brothers laptop. The Store is using my Microsoft Account and Xbox Enabled games sign in on his Microsoft/Xbox Live account.

Just make sure she has her own User Account on the PC that's using her Microsoft Account.

Thanks.

Thanks, I will make him try as hard as possible. I need to play some 3D Terraria in co-op.

You can always turn down the settings (even on this version) to make it run better if he's struggling for framerate - Minecraft is an immersion game - framerate drops take you out of that. Render distance can be turned down, 'fancy graphics', 'beautiful skies' and animated water can all be turned off - although honestly, this shouldn't be necessary on anything that can run Windows 10. This game runs on a Nokia Lumia 520, remember.

belmonkey

Probably only Microsoft games. KI and Gears will no doubt be exclusive to the store.

I almost want to make a thread to discuss the idea because it just seems like a sure-fire way to make sure a game gets less sales, imo, unless they can initially draw in people wanting to get a first taste of DX12 games.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy it well enough compared to the PC and console verisons, but I'm bummed that the Android and iOS versions aren't the same as this so my kids can't play with my wife and me.

I almost want to make a thread to discuss the idea because it just seems like a sure-fire way to make sure a game gets less sales, imo, unless they can initially draw in people wanting to get a first taste of DX12 games.
I mean theoretically it will have the largest potential exposure, as everyone on Windows has the Store compared to a third-party download like Steam that people need to install (once we see mass adoption of Windows users to Windows 10).

We're going to see a bit of both though. I'd imagine most or all of Microsoft published games will probably be sold through their Store only, but nothing is stopping third-parties from releases through both. Rise of the Tomb Raider appears to be doing their PC release through Steam and Windows Store.

Still waiting for this update

https://twitter.com/_tomcc/status/626796518423592960
https://twitter.com/_tomcc/status/626797287080116224

But so far I like it. Very smooth, very fast load times. It's also very relaxing to play this with a pad &#128539; tried to make some stairs, didn't know that you need to make a stonecutter first in this version.

I hope it will be possible to use texture packs. Never was a fan of the low-res textures. &#128529;

I hope fullscreen is filed under "other pcgamerthings." The fact it wasn't included from the start is mind boggling.

Top Bottom