• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecrafts Better Together Cross Play is already magical in my house

Neptonic

Kids these days with their Realms, back in my day we had to port-forward this shit to make our own private servers. 7th grade was good times.

jotun?

Would be better if it allowed for hosting your own home server (like you can do with the Java version) instead of needing to pay for realms

RdN

This is a game changer in my house, as well.

This morning, I set up a realms server and already invite the kids, nephews and girlfriend.

Having one of our worlds, available to play at any time, anywhere.. It's going to be awesome!

4YDGlHu.jpg

I know there is a Minecraft thread but this is one of those crazy moments with my lad playing on his Xbox joined by his sister on the iPad.

They are HYPED! Is so cool to finally have realms and have them playing in the same game on completely different platforms.
Anyone downplaying how huge this move is, is either delusional or a complete moron.

Will my son and I be able to play together using the same MS account? I'd be on PC, and he'd be on XBO.

You actually can be on the same MS account and play together. I've done crossplay with the same account on Xbox One, Windows 10 , and iOS at the same time. Everyone shows up with the same gamertag.

iiicon

Yep, had a similar experience last night in our home. One kid on an Xbox, another on a tablet, and me on my phone, all playing in the same world, working together. It's such a great feature. Can't wait for the Switch update because a traditional controller makes more sense to my old man brain. I'm not even a huge Minecraft fan, but having my own dedicated device so I can play with the kids is much better than the alternative (split-screen).

hyp

is your name tied to your Xbox live account in Realms? i want to get an account for my daughter to use with her cousin but will she be able to change her name online if she uses my account?

Gestault

That's absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing this. This is one of those developments that's legitimately just making a game better for people to play, no extra cost, no extra platform BS.

Kintaco

Played with my son a little bit earlier. Pretty cool to see that you can use custom skins. Love that now when we play we don't have to have the four player split screen. We can do two player on Xbox and one on PC for now then, each one on their own screen when released on the Switch.

Little do you know OP, your kids are actually suffering. Replace all of their hardware with PlayStation 4's immediately, or I will be forced to report you to CPS for child endangerment from crossplay.

Gowans

Another level of cool tonight too, we went out for a meal tonight and after he finished his meal he dropped into his world on my phone to show me his base he built on Xbox.

AovKVqm.jpg

Awesome. Awaiting the Switch version update so I can play with my nieces and nephews. I'm on PC one is on Xbox and two are on the switch. Gonna make some good memories.
Played with my son a little bit earlier. Pretty cool to see that you can use custom skins. Love that now when we play we don't have to have the four player split screen. We can do two player on Xbox and one on PC for now then, each one on their own screen when released on the Switch.
Custom as in dlc or?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
https://minecraft.net/en-us/realms/faq/
How much does a Realms subscription cost?
Realms has slightly different pricing plans for different platforms.
The cheapest is $3.99 per month for a server supporting up to 3 simultaneous players (including the owner) on the version that runs on mobile, console and Windows 10. It's $7.99 for a server supporting up to 11 simultaneous players.
The PC / Mac version starts at $7.99 for a server supporting up to 11 players. You'll get the best deal if you've set up a recurring subscription, or buy multiple months at once. Windows 10 doesn't allow recurring subscriptions.
Think of it a a persistent server.

So you can create a world, but it doesn't go away when you log off cause someone else is hosting the world for you. So your friends or family or whomever can play in your created world even when you log off.
Microsoft's biggest Azure customers will be 10 year olds.

U2NUMB

I just called my 10 year old son down stairs and explained this to him and I think he just hit a 4 foot vert in excitement. Then went off to call his best friend. He said the biggest issue is they have to be online at the same time so the server thing sounded perfect.

He did however say he was upset he did not have a job to pay for the server so ole daddy might have to help him out.

So this is also cross with PC correct?

Cerium

I just called my 10 year old son down stairs and explained this to him and I think he just hit a 4 foot vert in excitement. Then went off to call his best friend. He said the biggest issue is they have to be online at the same time so the server thing sounded perfect.

He did however say he was upset he did not have a job to pay for the server so ole daddy might have to help him out.

So this is also cross with PC correct?

It's cross with everything.

Here's the OT I made for the release yesterday.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is a room of hell with the red room ambience and kids playing minecraft together on different platforms 😭 sony pls save them!

CookTrain

This is going to be big. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to look around themselves from time to time.

This is one of a handful of reasons why crossplay is magnificent.

No on PC you can download player made skins from places like www.minecraftskins.com. Then you can use it in the game on the PC, and it shows up on Xbox. Although if you add the custom skin on PC you can't select it on the Xbox. So it's mainly just seeing my son run around my world in a Jason Vorheess skin (in my situation).

So other people can see the custom skin you are using?

Top Bottom