• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

Eusis

Yes, Arkham City actually removed the CD Keys from the registry and the on launch command a couple months ago. Still waiting on that update.
Man, they're going to remove it just in time for Origins, aren't they? Would rather beat City ahead of time but ah well.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Kinda sad that this game has the worst netcode ever, but im hoping it was just the host. Wasn't even able to see if it was because of the host because there was only one match available.

Grief.exe

Man, they're going to remove it just in time for Origins, aren't they? Would rather beat City ahead of time but ah well.

That is my guess, Warner is waiting for a promotional opportunity with the release of Origins.

Kinda sad that this game has the worst netcode ever, but im hoping it was just the host. Wasn't even able to see if it was because of the host because there was only one match available.

P2P...

i3jKDUlcwgHWU.png

Grief.exe

Just started, and loving the atmosphere so far. I love when games put you in the middle of a strange world and let you discover the story and circumstances on your own.

How do you get rid of that damn overhead compass?

This isn't downsampled, but next time I start up the game I think I will increase the resolution to 1440p.

Going for the Big Brass Balls and Against All Odds achievements.

vjcqkEP.png

Grief.exe

Turned off the Helmet and Quest Arrow in the options menu, props to Beast Legacy for pointing me in the right direction. I was too absorbed in the atmosphere to look around the menus.

Ran into an interesting bug. When I quick loaded my sensitivity dropped tremendously, when I hit quick load again, it dropped more. The sensitivity I had set in game and my DPI didn't change, but I was experiencing a severe drop that kept increasing with every subsequent load.

Chiming in here: I'm not sure if this update was supposed to improve performance at all, but I'm getting a much smoother experience now. I booted the game up before and I was getting stuttering all over the place whereas Bio1 was perfect, after this update the stuttering is gone. I'm just running the APU in my laptop, an A10-5745M, if that mattered. Now I need to finish the first game so I can get to this one!

Is the multiplayer in this any good?

Grief.exe

Chiming in here: I'm not sure if this update was supposed to improve performance at all, but I'm getting a much smoother experience now. I booted the game up before and I was getting stuttering all over the place whereas Bio1 was perfect, after this update the stuttering is gone. I'm just running the APU in my laptop, an A10-5745M, if that mattered. Now I need to finish the first game so I can get to this one!

Is the multiplayer in this any good?

I watched some videos on it while I was doing some research for the game and it looked like a good time. Can't wait to jump in.

Bittercup

yay nice update :)

I think fallout 3 goty version has it removed, but yeah, the rest need to be removed as well.
Fallout 3 never used GfWL for DRM. It was always optional in case you want achievements. You can simply ignore GfWL and play without using it and if you don't want it to even start with the game, there are mods for this.
I never registered the key that came with my retail copy.
A patch removing all traces of GfWL from the game so a mod isn't necessary still would be nice.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Great news to come home to. Gonna play Minerva's Den for the first time!

ugh, the sound problems are still here. oh well.

Eusis

I was afraid Bioshock 2 would be too samey and thus way less enjoyable, but I actually REALLY liked the game! In contrast Bioshock Infinite, gameplay wise anyway, was different for all the wrong reasons and thus ended up being my least favorite of the three games, despite being the one I may've gotten the most excited for at one point. Figures really, though at least I was turning to pessimism before launch so I didn'[t get myself TOO hyped up.

wazoo

Via Twitter, Bulletstorm and Grid are being discussed internally.
Halo 2 also has some Steam Registry and Twitter rumors as well.

Iron Brigade will probably be patched. Double Fine is too much invested in the preservation of their IP.

Dirt will be patched but they do not feel pressed before the shutdown of the service.

Most of the games I tried can be played offline except dirt 3 and bulletstorm.

Eusis

Iron Brigade will probably be patched. Double Fine is too much invested in the preservation of their IP.
Seems Microsoft owns that IP and probably won't let it go, not fully anyway, but at least it seems they can be reasonably easy to work with. Sometimes.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Seems Microsoft owns that IP and probably won't let it go, not fully anyway, but at least it seems they can be reasonably easy to work with. Sometimes.

Yeah Double Fine can't do anything unless MS asks them to/lets them. Let's hope they do though.

Grief.exe

Dirt will be patched but they do not feel pressed before the shutdown of the service.

Most of the games I tried can be played offline except dirt 3 and bulletstorm.

According to Tim, the ball is in Microsoft's court on that one right now.

There is another PC game Epic has GFWL in...

hell people can fly worked on the port too.

Oh god yes

Gears, Halo, and Viva Pinata would fit right in on Steam

Grief.exe

Holy shit THIS is the real megaton. I don't really care about GFWL, but this will make me play this game.

While controller support is very nice, GFWL sets the precedent going forward. Now we know that companies see a profit in removing multiple forms of DRM from their games.

Hopefully that precedent is carried forward to Microsoft, Namco, and Capcom to follow suit with their games.
Also provides credence to the speculation on Bioshock 2 as well as the Arkham games.

Worst case scenario on controller support is you have to wait until the Valve controller is officially released for M/KB emulation.

Ledsen

While controller support is very nice, GFWL sets the precedent going forward. Now we know that companies see a profit in removing multiple forms of DRM from their games.

Hopefully that precedent is carried forward to Microsoft, Namco, and Capcom to follow suit with their games.
Also provides credence to the speculation on Bioshock 2 as well as the Arkham games.

Worst case scenario on controller support is you have to wait until the Valve controller is officially released for M/KB emulation.

Yeah, I do care a lot about devs keeping a game playable beyond the death of GFWL. It's just that I never had any problems playing the game previously and my biggest complaint by far was lack of controller support.

Dion

Banned
Never had an issue with GFWL. I would prefer all games have no DRM.. Including steam. But the free DLC is a nice bonus. Been wanting to get it.

Blastoise

Banned
This is awesome. I have been putting off playing bioshock 2 due to lack of controller support. Looking forward to playing Minerva's Den this weekend.

Great job everyone.

Atruvius

What sound issues are you running into? I've heard that this game has audio issues, but never heard the specific details.

The audio mixing is busted. Voice audio is pretty loud and guns are really really quiet, like they were silenced weapons. Do the drill attack at someone, or at a wall and the brrr sound is really quiet and cuts out after half a second.

Tried changing audio levels but voice effect audio level is already at the max.

I'm getting a weird issue where upon loading a save the mouse controls feel very sluggish until I go into the control settings and hit "Apply." After that everything feels normal. It's been a couple months since I played through this game, but I certainly never had this issue before. Any idea what's causing it? I'm considering just doing a fresh reinstall now that GFWL is finally gone.

A little disappointed that "Walk" and "Reload Eve" are still absent from keyboard bindings, but I never expected that to be added. Kudos for fixing everything else.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The audio mixing is busted. Voice audio is pretty loud and guns are really really quiet, like they were silenced weapons. Do the drill attack at someone, or at a wall and the brrr sound is really quiet and cuts out after half a second.

Tried changing audio levels but voice effect audio level is already at the max.

Yeah I remember this from my first playthrough, getting the same thing now. Not fun. :/
I'm getting a weird issue where upon loading a save the mouse controls feel very sluggish until I go into the control settings and hit "Apply." After that everything feels normal. It's been a couple months since I played through this game, but I certainly never had this issue before. Any idea what's causing it? I'm considering just doing a fresh reinstall now that GFWL is finally gone.

A little disappointed that "Walk" and "Reload Eve" are still absent from keyboard bindings, but I never expected that to be added. Kudos for fixing everything else.
I'm having the same mouse issue. I just move/crouch until it goes away. Also feel the same way about the bindings and the fixes.

O.DOGG

Wow, just saw this thread. So now I own Minerva's Den? I remember refusing to buy it off GFWL marketplace. Good news!

This is great news. I'm really happy to have received Minerva's Den for free, basically. In fact, I bought BioShock 2 about two years ago and have never even downloaded and installed it. Will do so now, but to be honest it's the full controller support that I'm even happier about.

I counted it up, and I own exactly 30 GfWL titles on Steam (actually, it'll be 29 now after this). I really hope that all the others come through like this. I'm mostly concerned for Dark Souls, as well as Batman AA & AC, DiRT 2&3, F1 2010, Bulletstorm, RE5 & SFIV & Lost Planet 1 & 2, Ace Combat.... Christ!, there's a lot of them.

I wonder what's going to happen.

Top Bottom