• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

Actiss

Try uninstalling completely(everything gone, even registry if you have too :p) then reinstalling.

Well that was weird. I downloaded BioShock 2 after the update went out, but apparently it downloaded the game files prior to the update. I restarted Steam and now it's downloading a 3.3 gig update.

Crisis averted. :)

Grief.exe

Is anyone else getting the Securom errors that I screencap'd in my post above? I can't play the game. At all. :(

I thought Securom was supposed to be gone.

My advice would be similar to Morning Bus'

You probably have some kind of residual issue due to the patch being applied incorrectly, trying uninstalling/reinstalling.

I think he feels cheated because he could have just bought normal Bioshock 2 and gotten it for free in the future.

Or something.

My only response

iblwWktjDkxZum.gif

EDIT:
Well that was weird. I downloaded BioShock 2 after the update went out, but apparently it downloaded the game files prior to the update. I restarted Steam and now it's downloading a 3.3 gig update.

Crisis averted. :)

This seems consistent with how the registry page was updated.

Update went out to existing owners, Minerva's Den went up, eventually they changed the installation.

Your securom install was looking for a key that no longer existed.

If you owned Bioshock 2 prior to today, you got the dlc for free.

There is a strong possibility that the Bioshock franchise will be given an extra discount at some point during the coming weekend and, if you asked me to wager a guess, I would say that you'll probably be able to pick up a bundle of the base game and dlc for $5 to $7.50.

$5 is the correct answer. The Bioshock 1 and 2 bundle was recently $5 through Amazon. Bioshock 2 plus DLC should be the same price. If it's $7.50 I might have to cave any buy it anyway though. I beat Bioshock 2 ages ago but never played the DLC

Ifrit

I think he feels cheated because he could have just bought normal Bioshock 2 and gotten it for free in the future.

Or something.

I also bought Minerva's Den on GFWL, and I can't get mad that everyone else who already had the game got the DLC for free.

I think 2k handled this beautifully

I bought the game through Steam ages ago and when I click on DLC in the Steam page, it shows Minerva's Den as unpurchased.

I'm super confused. How do I get this DLC?

gabbo

Originally, I was goingto hold off playing Bioshock2 until this day, but just didn't think it was ever going to happen.

Now with Minerva's Den for free (!!!!), I have reason to go back after playing through it.

Also, your move Capcom.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
$5 is the correct answer. The Bioshock 1 and 2 bundle was recently $5 through Amazon. Bioshock 2 plus DLC should be the same price. If it's $7.50 I might have to cave any buy it anyway though. I beat Bioshock 2 ages ago but never played the DLC

I gave myself the wiggle room of guessing 7.50 because I think 2k may feel like they want to maxamize the amount of money they can get for the amount of work they put into this update. It'll certainly be under $10. And, if it it isn't $5 this weekend, it'll get there really soon.

I'm still amazed that they okayed updating multiplayer with the port. I don't even think I would have budgeted money for that if I were in their position.

Zeliard

Minerva's Den is my favorite piece of DLC from this gen. Highlights:

- It tells a great little self-contained, ultra-focused story with a perfect ending
- It delves into the philosophy of artificial intelligence with a lucidity uncommon to games
- Two primary characters have diametrically opposing views on the subject and comment on it in intriguing ways throughout the game, and Porter's musings in particular are always enjoyable to listen to, and often touching
- It's well-paced and doesn't wear out its welcome
- Its combat is more immediately and consistently enjoyable as you get access to a wide variety of plasmids, tonics, and weapons early on, and the new toys and baddies are fun

It's ideal DLC. Taken as a whole I think it's more successful in its execution than the main Bioshock games. Similarly to some of the better New Vegas DLC like Old World Blues, the devs used the idea of post-release content to take a stab at doing something strange and creative with an existing setting, and it worked beautifully.

Or something.

Or maybe he's just confused on how can he activate his Minerva's Den key? Because when you buy Minerva's Den on G4WL, it get linked to your gamertag without having an activation key.

v7eDZmc.jpg

Grief.exe

Minerva's Den is my favorite piece of DLC from this gen. Highlights:

- It tells a great little self-contained, ultra-focused story with a perfect ending
- It delves into the philosophy of artificial intelligence with a lucidity uncommon to games
- Two primary characters have diametrically opposing views on the subject and comment on it in intriguing ways throughout the game, and Porter's musings in particular are always enjoyable to listen to, and often touching
- It's well-paced and doesn't wear out its welcome
- Its combat is more immediately and consistently enjoyable as you get access to a wide variety of plasmids, tonics, and weapons early on, and the new toys and baddies are fun

It's ideal DLC. Taken as a whole I think it's more successful in its execution than the main Bioshock games. Similarly to some of the better New Vegas DLC like Old World Blues, the devs used the idea of post-release content to take a stab at doing something strange and creative with an existing setting, and it worked beautifully.

Can't wait to dive in, superb write up!

That did not work.

Restart your computer

post picture of this screen

gxGmRni.png

petran79

Banned

Or something.

Minerva's Den did cost 9.99 $ through GFWL Marketplace. I did buy it and enjoyed at that time, but its an old game anyway. No big deal.....they can offer it for free for all I care.

Blessed be thee, 2K Games. Now if only Capcom would go and at least patch SSFIV AE and RE5 to be GFWL free, even without free DLC, I'd be happy.

Restart your computer

post picture of this screen

gxGmRni.png

Oh, I was looking at the wrong page. I was clicking on the DLC link on the Bioshock 2 game summary page which would just take me to the store. I thought that was how you checked to see if you own DLC.

Well, I have it and everything's okay now. thanks.

Grief.exe

Or maybe he's just confused on how can he activate his Minerva's Den key? Because when you buy Minerva's Den on G4WL, it get linked to your gamertag without having an activation key.

v7eDZmc.jpg

GFWL does not assign keys to DLC, but the service does for the base game.

Activate that key in the Steam client and you will receive both Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den.

Blessed be thee, 2K Games. Now if only Capcom would go and at least patch SSFIV AE and RE5 to be GFWL free, even without free DLC, I'd be happy.

Ultra Street Fighter is removing GFWL in favor of Steamworks.

The previous versions of GFWL will no longer be supported or sold, Capcom will provide an upgrade option to Ultra.

Celegus

Oh man oh man oh man! Redownloading that tonight, I've always heard great things about it but it wasn't on Steam so no-go. That's awesome!

Ultra Street Fighter is removing GFWL in favor of Steamworks.

The previous versions of GFWL will no longer be supported or sold, Capcom will provide an upgrade option to Ultra.
Yes, I know about Ultra removing GFWL. Mostly I was concerned about having to pay for the Ultra upgrade.

Always wanted to play Minerva's Den. Hope to see one of these weekend sale days for Bioshock so I pick up Bio2+ Minerva's Den.

Glad to see Fables coming soon, maybe Halloween week? Does this mean Walking Dead Season 2 won't be out this year until Fables season is over? Or are they able to run two seasons at once.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The pad support seems to be near flawless. I have only seen one or two button prompts that only show the keyboard stuff and it was a non-issue.

The rumble and aiming feel significantly better than the garbage mouse setup they had previously and the even more garbage bind a pad to the MKB settings the community came up with.

Eusis

Or something.
That's how these things always go: you could've gotten Beyond Good & Evil for free if you didn't buy it at launch and instead bought some string cheese in Canada. I'm just going to be glad I got a free Steam copy of Minerva's Den and that I got all that MP DLC for free.

And glad that saves apparently are still there as that also implies I can safely play other games like Arkham City without waiting on GFWL scrapping.

So right now it's 50% off which puts the game at 9.99 euros and MD at 4.99. 15 euros is still expensive, I've seen the game for way less than that.

Edit: don't get me wrong, the game is well worth it but I already bought it (and minerva's den) for PS3 so I'll wait for a better deal to double-dip.

Grief.exe

I can safely play other games like Arkham City without waiting on GFWL scrapping.

Playing games with Securom and GFWL is never safe for your health.

The more you know.

So right now it's 50% off which puts the game at 9.99 euros and MD at 4.99. 15 euros is still expensive, I've seen the game for way less than that.

2K weekend sale right now

Shock will have a day dedicated to the series.

I don't seem to find the user.ini to bind the FOV changer. I can only find it in the old folder that's left from the retail version. Any help?

Feorax

Awesome news :)

Only downside is that I have 10g on my gamercard for the game that will be stuck like that forever now :p

I've never set FOV before, what values does it take for the #? Is that in screen resolution? Is that in degrees? What value, for example, was used in the second comparison screenshot?

It's your 'Field of view' or 'How many degrees of a circle you can see in front of you'.

The best possible outcome. Thanks, 2K.

Now for Dark Souls. Namco?
Valve takes the data from Bioshock 2 and shows the sales and activity spike to other publishers. Problem is they're going to be shipping new products. Ultra Street Fighter IV, Dark Souls II and Dead Rising 3 don't care.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man there's people playing the multiplayer now! I realise that doesn't mean much to most people but I really enjoyed B2's multi and it probably won't last long anyway so time to enjoy the few matches I can.

scitek

If anyone else has trouble with big picture mode, I fixed the overlay not showing up by forcing DX9, which I was going to do to use SGSSAA anyway. So yeah...

Top Bottom