• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Faiz

Anyone else kinda let down by Shadows over Hammerhall?

All those previous released models, a sorcerer lord that was already included in another set branded for WHQ, and still $150.

Eh. I dunno. I like the GM direction of this one, but I really want an equivalent to the old RP book. :/

All those previous released models, a sorcerer lord that was already included in another set branded for WHQ, and still $150.

Eh. I dunno. I like the GM direction of this one, but I really want an equivalent to the old RP book. :/

It's an obviously rushed follow-up to Silver Tower made up of pre-existing miniatures. However, the additional tiles an game master additions take out the sting a bit IMO. I like to home brew a lot so more tools are always welcome. It still does not compare to Silver Tower's $150 price tag, which is already high.

barik

WIP of a couple of RT Orks; pretty ugly models (and colors!) but fun to paint.

IMG_0749.jpg

Rowena

Neo Member
Long shot here but curious to see if anyone here has a Maw Krusha base (just the base) for sale? I have a Triarch Stalker that doesn't come with a base and absolutely hate the look with out one. Thank you in advance please PM if you do :)

Those old-school Orks are a lot of fun, the RT-era minis are very characterful even if they've aged badly in most cases.

I finished painting the 5 guys up front here this evening! And this is my 540 point army for a 550-point doubles tournament. Contains:

1 Lord Relictor (80pts)
5 Liberators with paired blades + Grandblade
5 Judicators with Skybolt Bows + Shockbolt Bow
5 Protectors with 2 Starsoul Maces

Hopefully should see me right alongside what my teammate will be using. When we've actually picked his army anyway, that's tomorrows job along with some practice.

Leunam

Anyone have experience with Heresy era Warhammer? Small community here at my local shop and I was always very interested in the theme. Currently thinking of doing Salamanders, Iron Hands, World Eaters, or Emperors Children.

Anyone have experience with Heresy era Warhammer? Small community here at my local shop and I was always very interested in the theme. Currently thinking of doing Salamanders, Iron Hands, World Eaters, or Emperors Children.

Prepare to spend even more money than normal 40k

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Those old-school Orks are a lot of fun, the RT-era minis are very characterful even if they've aged badly in most cases.

I finished painting the 5 guys up front here this evening! And this is my 540 point army for a 550-point doubles tournament. Contains:

1 Lord Relictor (80pts)
5 Liberators with paired blades + Grandblade
5 Judicators with Skybolt Bows + Shockbolt Bow
5 Protectors with 2 Starsoul Maces

Hopefully should see me right alongside what my teammate will be using. When we've actually picked his army anyway, that's tomorrows job along with some practice.

Gorgeous. I've been painting up some Celestial Vindicators myself, love em.

Grab Burning of Prospero. Absolute bargain set. Though MK3 doesn't fit aesthetically with Emperors Children IMO. The only book you need is the red legion army book from FW. It is pretty good, but important to have like minded gamers to play with because some of the forgeworld stuff is (deliberately) obscene. It is nicely balanced when you leave out super heavies, mostly because the majority of lists are space marines.

Plus, modelling wise the opportunities for weathering and battle damage are terrific. Some of the most beautiful 40k armies I've seen were Heresy era.

Yes. I really don't like the DM addition to a game that has traditionally been exclusively co-op. I already have a Lord-Castellant. The new Gryph-Hounds are way better than the older model they have in the box. I already got a Chaos Sorcerer from Arcane Heroes. Already got Kairic Acolytes in Silver Tower. Already got Bloodreavers in the starter box.

Which makes it $150 for a Cogsmith, Fleetmaster, Loremaster, and Putrid Blightkings and a game that I probably won't like unless there's a no-DM supplement that has it play like, oh, every other Warhammer Quest game.

This is especially disappointing when they also release the absolutely amazing Lord-Aquilor and Vanguard-Palladors, a full set of which is basically the same price.

The details took this from an absolute must-have purchase to "maybe I'll get it when there's a couple of months I don't want anything else".

I'm sure some people will get Shadows over Hammerhal purely for the minis, in which case I'll gladly pick up the boards/tokens/books from eBay on the cheap since the only minis in the entire set I don't own are the Cogsmith and Loremaster.

Personally I like the idea of having the GM back like in the original 90s Warhammer Quest, it'll take me back to my childhood. (The Gamesmaster was a feature in the back of the Adventure book I think). I'm most disappointed by the lack of plastic door pieces to clip the tiles together, myself!

Faiz

I'm sure some people will get Shadows over Hammerhal purely for the minis, in which case I'll gladly pick up the boards/tokens/books from eBay on the cheap since the only minis in the entire set I don't own are the Cogsmith and Loremaster.

Personally I like the idea of having the GM back like in the original 90s Warhammer Quest, it'll take me back to my childhood. (The Gamesmaster was a feature in the back of the Adventure book I think). I'm most disappointed by the lack of plastic door pieces to clip the tiles together, myself!

I really really thought they were gonna bring doors back. :(

Tried my hand at airbrush primer last night with Stynylrez and holy cow I am never going back.

I want an airbrush at some point but it feels like I can't justify the cost just yet.

I dream of getting an airbrush and starting an Eldar army for those sweet sweet blendings.

Faiz

I want an airbrush at some point but it feels like I can't justify the cost just yet.

I dream of getting an airbrush and starting an Eldar army for those sweet sweet blendings.

Yeah it took me a bit to put together the kit due to expense. There are good deals to be had on brushes if you take your time, and the cheap Chinese compressors are actually pretty decent.

For me I just decided I had to. I wasn't getting things done fast enough, I was getting frustrated with waiting for the right weather to prime, and in the back of my head I'd like to get back into Gundam models without relying on rattle cans.

Yeah it took me a bit to put together the kit due to expense. There are good deals to be had on brushes if you take your time, and the cheap Chinese compressors are actually pretty decent.

For me I just decided I had to. I wasn't getting things done fast enough, I was getting frustrated with waiting for the right weather to prime, and in the back of my head I'd like to get back into Gundam models without relying on rattle cans.

Out of curiosity, what is your setup like and how much did you spend?

Ohnonono

I picked up the start collecting Ironjawz, a box of Brutes, and a Warboss. Started assembling the Ardboys last night. My goal is to have all of it put together by the weekend and then start assembling my beastbird army. So thats 20 models this week, then 25 next week. Then I will start to paint the Ironjawz first most likely.

Faiz

Out of curiosity, what is your setup like and how much did you spend?

$125 on an Iwata Eclipse
$120 on a Master TC-40T compressor.

But I nearly bought a Badger Patriot for $50 (missed that but can still get for $70 often) and a TC-20T compressor for $100.

Then a few peripheral items like a mask, airbrush thinner, stand if your compressor doesn't have one.

Eventually I'll get one of those $80 portable spray booths but it isn't a high priority ATM. Even priming 20 models last night the paint didn't show up on anything except the papertowel I placed on the bottom of the makeshift spray booth I made out of a cardboard box.

Palmer_v1

I really want to sell my Warmachine/Hordes stuff, but it's such a hassle. Like I'd happily sell it all as one mega lot for like 40-50% MSRP, but I know people are just going to beg to have it parted out, and have tons of pictures taken, etc.

Leunam

Prepare to spend even more money than normal 40k

Hell yeah.

Grab Burning of Prospero. Absolute bargain set. Though MK3 doesn't fit aesthetically with Emperors Children IMO. The only book you need is the red legion army book from FW. It is pretty good, but important to have like minded gamers to play with because some of the forgeworld stuff is (deliberately) obscene. It is nicely balanced when you leave out super heavies, mostly because the majority of lists are space marines.

Plus, modelling wise the opportunities for weathering and battle damage are terrific. Some of the most beautiful 40k armies I've seen were Heresy era.

Prospero or Calth?

Yeah one of the people I met here mentioned the red books, he's bringing them next week so I'm going to flip through them and make a decision on what I want to play. I've always had a love for sonic weapons so I may end up playing Emperors Children after all.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Prospero or Calth?

Both box sets are really good deals. Without modification, Calth has Word Bearers and Ultramarines right out the box. And Prospero has Thousand Sons, Space Wolves, Sisters, and Custodians.

I have both because why not. But I've seen a lot of other players make the decision based on whether they want/can use the Contemptor Dreadnought or the Sisters.

Oohh I wanna see some Space pirates!

...I still haven't gotten any of the minis I have ordered. Feels weird having nothing to paint. Looks like this month's challenge is a no show from me. Grrrr

Nice work SillyEskimo, they look super smashing great!

I'm currently working on Stormcast Vanguard-Hunters. Here's the Prime for the unit, the other four will be done together next now I've got my head around the colours :D

Fou-Lu

Nice looking Vanguard-Hunter! I really like the new minis that came out for Stormcasts.

I've been thinking of starting a small Age of Sigmar force, but I would prefer to have one of the modern updated armies and I am not sure if any of the quite speak to me. I've always been an Elf, Vampire Count or Bretonnia guy, but I've moved away from Undead in recent years (and they kind of feel like you can't be your own Vampire anymore, you have to be Nagash's slave), and Elves don't have anything new yet and Bretonnia well... we all know what happened to them.

10 more dogz

CFB647F3-518D-47C9-9C5F-8D4F48525D75.jpg

Group shot of all 20. Dogz are complete!

9ED1D8B6-9812-40DE-85BF-907A8599CFC5.jpg

6 dog companions are up next so the players can even the playing field a bit, lol.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Cross posting from the board game thread and thought I would share some of my painted minis from Mansions of Madness and Halo Fleet Battles

Some of MoM painted minis. Just started painting minis last year. Really enjoy it.

Faiz

Forgive me if this link doesn't work immediately, I always have a hard time getting Imgur linked from my phone.

Pretty happy with the way the skin tones have come out so far. They'll get another light pass from above at 80-90 degrees with Vallejo pale flesh to final highlight but was so pleased I had to share.

Process so far - airbrush prime with Badger Stynylrez, zenithal highlight, airbrush light base of some Vallejo fleshes following the zentithal, then a mix of reikland, army painter flesh tone ink, and army painter purple inks.

Forgive me if this link doesn't work immediately, I always have a hard time getting Imgur linked from my phone.

Pretty happy with the way the skin tones have come out so far. They'll get another light pass from above at 80-90 degrees with Vallejo pale flesh to final highlight but was so pleased I had to share.

g8pYn

Process so far - airbrush prime with Badger Stynylrez, zenithal highlight, airbrush light base of some Vallejo fleshes following the zentithal, then a mix of reikland, army painter flesh tone ink, and army painter purple inks.

Here you go man:

Violet_0

Banned
say, can it be that infantry got substantially weaker in AoS compared to WHF? I've been reading a bit about the WE and I sort of get the impression that infantry is mostly just useable as meatshield now. Not to mention that you can apparently just summon a bunch of free units now. The new models, which mosty seem to be of the monster-sized variety, all sound kinda crazy

Top Bottom