• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open world, [Update: More game info, won't be a shooter]

Or additionally these more open levels allow people to do more alternate routes either longer/flasher/quicker as they want compared to the straight-forward "tube" level design of the last game.

And come on: How many of you didn't want to explore more of the city from ground to roof?

If they take advantage of the reboot and make the city less sterile/empty, multiple paths will be more feasible. The downtown city backdrop in ME was quite barren — though it fit the game's style — a city with more air ducts, fire escapes, flag poles, construction, Etc, would be best.

And we're totally going to ignore the dude in the interview saying that sometimes missing your jumps is what was wrong with the first game? I really want a Mirror's Edge 2, but they haven't yet proven that this hasn't been EA'd to death.

All of the optimism I could have in this situation has been well and truly EA'd though.

neoism

So I commented on Solar Fields Facebook and asked him if he will do the next OST. He said " No Comment" so better than no I guess hopfully he's working on getting it now. :D

sleepykyo

And we're totally going to ignore the dude in the interview saying that sometimes missing your jumps is what was wrong with the first game? I really want a Mirror's Edge 2, but they haven't yet proven that this hasn't been EA'd to death.

All of the optimism I could have in this situation has been well and truly EA'd though.

That isn't just EA though. In general, platforming is less about making jumps and more about providing the downtime/unwind between shooting galleries.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Even with the 'linear' design of the first one, there was a shitload off different ways to traverse areas and try and shave off that extra fraction of a second. I'm skeptical that you can have that level of detail translate over to an open world.

All I'd really like changed about the first one are long pipe climbing segments, but that might just be a 'loading, please wait' thing.

Eh... This could be good news. But it could also mean a lot of weak traversal gameplay ala AC or POP 2008. I'm not sure people are thinking ahead on this one...

XAL

Dear god, I just thought of something.

A race across the rooftops and through the buildings of the city.
Online multiplayer.

THE ROUTES THE ROUTES

Blizzard

Banned
Dear god, I just thought of something.

A race across the rooftops and through the buildings of the city.
Online multiplayer.

THE ROUTES THE ROUTES
I don't think it would be as fun as it sounds. For one thing, as soon as you fall behind missing a shortcut, you would have very little chance to catch up unless the person ahead also makes a huge mistake. For another thing, depending on how they do the mechanics, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something like the hop boosting while running in ME1 (not just the sideways standing start). Kind of like Mario Kart snaking. To get an idea of what it would be like, try chasing a ghost with a high time trial rating in Mirror's Edge 1, if the online server is still up.

If I recall correctly from the Mirror's Edge editor, there are actually bits and pieces of bag carrying/whatever multiplayer game modes that were either prototyped, or partially tried, or so forth and then scrapped because they did not seem to work out.

sublimit

Banned
I really hope they are not going to dumb down the platforming.Mirror's Edge was the only game last gen where i really enjoyed traversing the environments.That was my major draw in the game.

Otherwise Mirror's Edge 2 is going to be a huge disappointment for me.

Top Bottom