• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open world, [Update: More game info, won't be a shooter]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So she's more powerful in a game that's supposed to be a prequel? That sounds weird, but okay.

To my knowledge they've rebooted the entire plotline.

I get the impression Mirror's Edge 1 isn't canon anymore.

I could be wrong however. They haven't been super clear.

eso76

open world action adventure ?

holy shit.
Action adventure ?
this is exactly what the game needed.
I'm hype.

I loved the game, but ME1 structure was too limited, admittedly.
This is the best thing ever !

StuBurns

Banned
You absolutely, positively can. You create the main thoroughfares, add shortcuts and barriers in the environments like you always would.

The only limit is time and creativity, but its definitely possible.
Well of course it is, did you think I meant you can't even if you spend infinite time and money on it? Sure, but they obviously can't do that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not story, no! That was the worst part of the first game, along with the shooting mechanics (and the fact that sometimes you were pretty much forced to shoot).

I liked running away from things. Damn, now I'm afraid those changes aren't going to be for the better...

Well of course it is, did you think I meant you can't even if you spend infinite time and money on it? Sure, but they obviously can't do that.
Ye of little Faith ;P

It really depends on how constrained the open world is - the term can mean a lot of things when it comes to scale. Are we talking Arkham City level of scale in terms of direct gameplay space? Because I'd think that's doable.

Akira_83

Banned
As far as shooting goes... I haven't played through Mirror's Edge without doing the no-weapon thing, but I almost wonder if the game is best when players take a few shots. It seems like some encounters in the game would have been way more fluid had I just taken a gun or two and cleared the room. But I never tried it thanks to that dumb achievement.

nope

anyone who played the game and so much as fired a bullet is whats wrong with the industry IMO

they would probably want some Irons sights in ME2

"Again, we're not going to turn this into a shooter. On the contrary, in fact. But we are going to evolve Faith and the story. Once we show more of this people will be genuinely excited. I am personally extremely excited about it."

Open world, won't be a shooter?

Gaming Gods, you have heard my prayers. Praise Be. PRAISE BE.

fbNs2t5.gif

I know I'm in the minority but I'm not a big fan of open world games. There are very few that i like (FC3). I liked that the first games were broken into levels and were mostly chase scenes. If its open world, I feel like I'm just going to run around and not get shit done. Hopefully the design will be well directed to.

RedSwirl

I just hope they don't fuck up the parkour controls. Part of the fun of the game was mastering the levels and parkour controls.

I also hope it's not too focused on combat. Figuring out how to completely avoid and outsmart enemies in the first game felt better than directly confronting them.

Open world first person martial arts parkour sim in Ghost In The Shell Land!! ... I came...

Multiplayer can work. Open Map, two players, two paths, who get's from Point A to B first?
You could even have relay racing! Cop dodging! Capture the Flag!

Tain

nope

anyone who played the game and so much as fired a bullet is whats wrong with the industry IMO

"Wrong with the industry"? lol, do you seriously believe this?

What an unbelievably basic view.

Blizzard

Banned
The story, and stopping to do combat, were probably two of the weakest things about the original Mirror's Edge.

Adding more of both seems questionable, but good luck I guess. :S

sublimit

Banned
I'm glad it will have less shooting than the first,i always thought the shooting aspects of the first game never really fitted in the game's context.

Just keep the platforming the same as it was in the first game (no automatic crap) and we're set.

I still can't believe EA let them go ahead and make a sequel that looks like, y'know, a sequel, without focus-testing-why-dont-you-make-it-a-third-person-cover-shooter-or-something bullshit.

DICE must have some crazy goodwill from the big dogs at EA.

Edit:
nope

Nah, shooting enemies was more fun than hand-to-hand combat. The disarm gameplay was just banjaxed. That said, as long as they fix the disarm stuff, I'll be happy to see gunplay kept to a bare minimum.

sublimit

Banned
I still can't believe EA let them go ahead and make a sequel that looks like, y'know, a sequel, without focus-testing-why-dont-you-make-it-a-third-person-cover-shooter-or-something bullshit.

DICE must have some crazy goodwill from the big dogs at EA.

It's still too early to tell though.They may have dumbed down the platforming for all we know so far.

boingball

No shooter: Assuring
Open world: what? well, I will keep an open mind about this, but I am not sure how that will work out.
Hopefully does not become a brawler.

Mirror's Edge is a cult classic not because it was a great game (it had many flaws) but because it was DIFFERENT. So please, don't focus test the "reboot" and add too many bulletpoints to the game!

As far as shooting goes... I haven't played through Mirror's Edge without doing the no-weapon thing, but I almost wonder if the game is best when players take a few shots. It seems like some encounters in the game would have been way more fluid had I just taken a gun or two and cleared the room. But I never tried it thanks to that dumb achievement.

Test of Faith achievement was tempting (and symbolic for many gamers) but DICE has said that ToF achievement was meant for a second playthrough and it absolutely makes some parts very frustrating, since the levels weren't designed that way in the end.

Imagine scaling a skyscraper from street level to the top! There should be one at least!
Now imagine the climb with Oculus Rift. Imagine the the rush of air as you fall to your doom until... *crunch!*

sono

I was so happy that this appeared at E3. Open world sounds v interesting.

When its ready is fine in that case.

next month please ?

sleepykyo

More hand-to-hand combat.

This is going to sound so weak sauce but I hope they widen the timing on the reversals or something. I kept trying to do reversals at the moment of impact rather than at the red flash, a habit from how fighting games usually require last possible frames before hit.

Ditto. It seems like guns shouldn't be used but Faith keeps the weapon after disarms instead of destroying the weapon ala Batman AC. And in the story she has no problem threatening people at gunpoint (the disarm against the male cop). At the very least the server room and the sniper walkways would have been less frustrating.

Ninjimbo

That's kind of disappointing. I liked Faith and the world they created in the first one. I know it didn't live up to its potential in the end, but I still appreciated what they were able to craft. It's going be odd pretending like that game didn't exist.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Open world parkour? Into my veeeeeiiinnnsss

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's kind of disappointing. I liked Faith and the world they created in the first one. I know it didn't live up to its potential in the end, but I still appreciated what they were able to craft. It's going be odd pretending like that game didn't exist.
It still seems to be like the same general world and character, just like... starting over.

Riposte

nope

Ah yes, shooting guns in a game with guns in them, what vile little videogame players.

Huh. Okay, this is the first bad news I've heard so far. I won't judge too much yet, but this is certainly disappointing.

I hope we still see characters like Drake and Jacknife return tho. Wouldn't say no to some other runners either, perhaps challenging Faith to some open ended races....

Jay Sosa

I really hope that next gen won't make the same mistake as this gen did. Meaning a looot of games were basically TPS at their core even if it didn't make sense at all (I'm looking at you Alan Wake)...

eh, I completely forgot the story from the first (even though it's one of my favorite games this gen) anyway..wasn't very memorable. And considering the love for the game that wasn't much of an issue.

It's still too early to tell though.They may have dumbed down the platforming for all we know so far.

Dumb down from what exactly? First one wasn't very challenging to begin with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Huh. Okay, this is the first bad news I've heard so far. I won't judge too much yet, but this is certainly disappointing.

I hope we still see characters like Drake and Jacknife return tho. Wouldn't say no to some other runners either, perhaps challenging Faith to some open ended races....

I could be wrong, but I'm not entirely sure what else would be getting rebooted here.

nope

Then everyone who played that game is what's wrong with the industry

I'm cool with ME1 being rebooted or a separate story. Look at it like how Aeon Flux was handled and it works fine. The only characters I gave a shit about were Faith and Kate anyway. Make it like a folk tale.

Tuck

The best part of Mirrors Edge was running and jumping, so I hope there isn't too much hand to hand combat. But, if they can make it flow with the rest of the game (The original had moments of this), it could be fun. But I don't want it to be a major focus.

As for open world... concerning. I want really tight, well designed levels, and I'm not sure if open world is beneficial for that. But if they make it work, it could be glorious. Just... keep it to the roofs and inside big, open buildings. Street level is ok at times but the best part of the original was running on roof tops.

No shooting. None. Zero. Please. Don't get me wrong - people can shoot at me. But I don't want to be shooting at them.

Anyways, they seem passionate. I'm glad its a reboot. A chance to set their own vision and right the faults of the original.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not a shooter? Day one.

UrbanRats

I'm ok with this.
More open ended approach was one thing i really wanted from the first ME, which sometimes could get really arbitrary in its escape routes.
I'm not a big ME fan to begin with, but i'll probably get this for the visuals alone.

We'll see if i'll also be able to play it, it being first person and all.

Open world and no forced gunplay for Faith... Now just confirm Solar Fields for the soundtrack and I'm buying whatever limited edition you can offer.

Cannot wait and so glad that DICE is able to make this game happen.

Top Bottom