• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open world, [Update: More game info, won't be a shooter]

Talon

Not too sure about this. The level design wasn't super tight in ME, partially due to the controls, and they were pretty linear. Some of the levels (the mid-late buildings) were great. Others (the first half of the boat) were messy.

jbttwin

tumblr_lfpnz4lIn21qcfccuo1_500.gif

Best. News. Ever.

Dennis

Banned
They are rebooting the franchise so you gotta wonder how much like the first game this will end up being - if at all.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Hmmm, that sounds cool, but I feel like it will be one of those games that shoehorns scalable objects everywhere they can. Kinda breaks the immersion when you do that. I guess we'll see.

nope

i actually earned an achievement for not firing a single shot on my playthrough

obviously you didnt get that one!

You mean the one I got on PC and on PS3 for both playthroughs?

Spoilers for Mirror's Edge
You have to snipe the convoy vehicle carrying Kate. There is no escaping that. It's pass/fail. So yes, you have to shoot a gun.

They are rebooting the franchise so you gotta wonder how much like the first game this will end up being - if at all.

More spoilers for Mirror's Edge
The ending makes what they could do with a sequel real close-ended. Kate and Faith are both wanted fugitives now. Kinda hard yo

ezekial45

Banned
They are rebooting the franchise so you gotta wonder how much like the first game this will end being - if at all.

I don't blame for wanting to try something different, to make it more approachable. I definitely think open world for this game is a great idea. The ideas in this thread (multiplayer races, time trials, scavenger hunts side missions, etc) are all great, and can work really really well in this style of game.

giapel

Problem is you either go open world meaning you can go anywhere you want or you don't and there are only specific paths within the game world that you can take. It's one or the other, no middle grounds. The problem with going open world is that it inherently removes the challenge of platforming. That's what made scaling of buildings in Assassin's Creed boring. It was open world, every object followed the same ruleset, therefore everything was climbable. Result? You weren't required to plan your route, find the way to the top or "solve" the climb. You were basically spiderman. Not to sound pessimistic but I can't see ME2 pulling it off. Hope it's not truly open world and they mean something else

Instro

Hopefully the story missions are actually linear though, that was the biggest strengths the original, forcing the player the keep moving as quickly as possible through very narrow parkour areas. Would be disappointed if a lot of that goes away in favor of open world missions.

YES. I remember thinking that I wish Mirror's Edge was open world, or at least an open world until you get to the building to start a linear mission. It's a game dying to unlock more parkour potential.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think the Mirror's Edge sequel needs to be treated carefully. The original game followed a certain formula that made it so addictive and one of the things that was central to it was the level design. The sequel needs to improve on that but keep a lot of things untouched, however, it seems that they are changing things around a bit which makes me a bit skeptical.

The first game had a small fanbase so maybe DICE feel that they can take a bunch of risks and expand their audience this time around. The trailer does show a lot of promise though so I won't doubt them.

Alpende

I think the Mirror's Edge sequel needs to be treated carefully. The original game followed a certain formula that made it so addictive and one of the things that was central to it was the level design. The sequel needs to improve on that but keep a lot of things untouched, however, it seems that they are changing things around a bit which makes me a bit skeptical.

The first game had a small fanbase so maybe DICE feel that they can take a bunch of risks and expand their audience this time around. The trailer does show a lot of promise though so I won't doubt them.

They said this is a reboot so maybe because of this they're taking more risks.

I, however, am fine with an open world Mirror's Edge game.

Omikaru

I have no objections to this. Open world rooftop free running in first person sounds too good to be true.

I'm generally not buying EA games this gen, but I think I'll make an exception for Mirror's Edge if they maintain the gameplay cues of preferring escape to confrontation, and where confrontation is inevitably opting for disarming rather than ultra violence, killing and shooty bang bang. Part of what made Mirror's Edge so refreshing is that combat was generally unfun as opposed to just getting away as non-lethally as possible.

The trailer at least convinced me they are opting for disarming enemies rather than killing them, so I'm going to assume the exhilarating escape moments will survive too. You can never be sure with EA, however.

weevles

I'm ok with open world. To me, it seemed like the direction a sequel was going to go anyway. I mean, parkour anywhere...

Akira_83

Banned
You mean the one I got on PC and on PS3 for both playthroughs?

Spoilers for Mirror's Edge
You have to snipe the convoy vehicle carrying Kate. There is no escaping that. It's pass/fail. So yes, you have to shoot a gun.

More spoilers for Mirror's Edge
The ending makes what they could do with a sequel real close-ended. Kate and Faith are both wanted fugitives now. Kinda hard yo

yeah well thats part of a cinematic and a story bit so its not exactly gameplay related

the fact that they made an achievement for not shooting a gun and you dont have to during GAMEPLAY spoke volumes to me

i would be dissappointed if they sold out to the dudebro crowd

Muffdraul

YES. I remember thinking that I wish Mirror's Edge was open world, or at least an open world until you get to the building to start a linear mission. It's a game dying to unlock more parkour potential.

I remember wishing every mission began with me leaving HQ and making my way to the starting point of the mission... not just being warped there instantly after an eSurance commercial.

MechaZain

Banned
Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.

Someone's never played Skate

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They said this is a reboot so maybe because of this they're taking more risks.

I, however, am fine with an open world Mirror's Edge game.
I'm fine with it too but the chances of screwing it up are high. But the game is being developed by a quality studio so I won't be too vocal about it.

Espada

Excellent news, that kind of setting is perfect for ME gameplay. It seems like we're going from corridor games to open world ones and I have no problem with that at all. Now they just need to get the music right, the first game's music was legit.

Tain

I loved Mirror's Edge, and the act of moving around was enjoyable enough to warrant even traversing the same section multiple times over, but time trials and competing for score aren't very appealing to me so I didn't get extremely well-acquainted with any specific stretch of the game.

Being free-roaming gives players a much more natural reason to run through a given stretch multiple times. It sounds like a good fit.

GolazoDan

You're running across the rooftops, leaping from building to building. Running off walls, sliding under obstacles, jumping over anything that gets in your way. The city is yours to navigate as you wish.

The camera pans out to reveal other players running around buildings all across the world.

This is next gen.

Parallacs

I didn't even like ME the first time I played it. It wasn't until someone told me to think of it as a racer did I start to like it.

I know they can pull it off with open world, I just don't see any added benefit to what I liked in the first game.

You're running across the rooftops, leaping from building to building. Running off walls, sliding under obstacles, jumping over anything that gets in your way. The city is yours to navigate as you wish.

The camera pans out to reveal other players running around buildings all across the world.

This is next gen.

#gerstmanned

And I don't even care. Gimme this.

Although, one flaw about Mirror's Edge I've thought about lately: There should've been more stock put into the fact that Faith is the best at this, or hell, make her the only one doing it.

Tain

As far as shooting goes... I haven't played through Mirror's Edge without doing the no-weapon thing, but I almost wonder if the game is best when players take a few shots. It seems like some encounters in the game would have been way more fluid had I just taken a gun or two and cleared the room. But I never tried it thanks to that dumb achievement.

This is next gen.

I could name 5 other games that are doing the same thing.

It's next gen alright.

batbeg

I do hope if there is synchronous multiplayer then the other players still act like ghosts like in Trackmania. Would be super weak otherwise.

Window

This could be terrible or great depending on how meticulous they are with their level design. Either way can't wait.

Saty

Proceed with caution?

"I can tell you one thing," he said. "It's a very different Mirror's Edge experience than the first game.

"Obviously as you saw in the trailer there are some things that will clearly remain the same. We're not going to break what the game was good at. But in general, though, there are some changes, which are for the better I think."

Söderlund promised developer DICE won't turn Mirror's Edge into a shooter, but did confirm that Faith will be a more powerful character than she was in the first game.
"The first game was a lot about running away from things," he said. "And, even though you want to have sections with that, you also want Faith... she's a powerful character and you want her to take control. You'll see a little bit more of that in this game.

"Again, we're not going to turn this into a shooter. On the contrary, in fact. But we are going to evolve Faith and the story. Once we show more of this people will be genuinely excited. I am personally extremely excited about it.
"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ry-different-compared-to-the-original-ea-says

GolazoDan

I didn't even like ME the first time I played it. It wasn't until someone told me to think of it as a racer did I start to like it.

I know they can pull it off with open world, I just don't see any added benefit to what I liked in the first game.
This is true. The dudes with the guns are merely obstacles to avoid. Saw a few dudes on Twitter not hyped for Mirror's Edge 2 because "the guns were terrible" or whatever. Don't even bother with the guns - disarm and throw.

Fucking awesome news for me. One of the frustrating things about the original Mirror's Edge (besides the 5 Guys Trying to Gun you Down rooms and the occasional "NO FAITH! Why are you hopping of the railing to the very long fall!") was I wanted to have no reason to run, just run and jump off buildings and stuff. Hell, I was fine with doing that in early levels, but it becomes comparatively rare later in the game.

Jhriad

Sounds cool but is the combat still garbage? The most annoying part about that game was trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be going next while getting shot up by helicopters and assholes with guns.

Darktails

The level design needs to be exceptional in order to create the sense of flow characteristic of the original. When I play Mirror's Edge, I rarely stop moving; it's a continuous wave of movements - it's fast, beautifully smooth and feels fantastic. This will be really hard to pull off in a non-linear open world setting.

.la1n

Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.

My first thoughts as well. I will remain hopeful but Mirror's Edge is not exactly a game I envisioned going open world. I hope they keep combat to a minimum as well.

"The first game was a lot about running away from things," he said. "And, even though you want to have sections with that, you also want Faith... she's a powerful character and you want her to take control
Uhm... No, not at all. When you were the hunted, not the hunter, the game was best imo. I don't like how this quote sounds...

As far as shooting goes... I haven't played through Mirror's Edge without doing the no-weapon thing, but I almost wonder if the game is best when players take a few shots. It seems like some encounters in the game would have been way more fluid had I just taken a gun or two and cleared the room. But I never tried it thanks to that dumb achievement.
You're right. Grabbing the gun, shooting the ones you see, then dropping it again and taking the others out in meelee makes a way better flow than forced meelee approaches.

EA won't turn Mirror's Edge into a shooter - but it has vowed to create a "very different" experience compared to the original with the just-announced game.

As expected, during its press conference EA announced a new Mirror's Edge game - not called Mirror's Edge 2 - that's a reboot of sorts. It tells the origin story of Parkour expert Faith and is set for release on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

EA Games Label boss Patrick Söderlund, who gave the game the go-ahead, declined to go into specifics about the gameplay we'll see in the new Mirror's Edge in an interview with Eurogamer, but did encourage fans to get excited.

"I can tell you one thing," he said. "It's a very different Mirror's Edge experience than the first game.

"Obviously as you saw in the trailer there are some things that will clearly remain the same. We're not going to break what the game was good at. But in general, though, there are some changes, which are for the better I think."

Speaking of the trailer, some have expressed concern that it suggests the new Mirror's Edge will be more action-orientated than the first game, which focused more on escaping enemies than it did killing them.

Söderlund promised developer DICE won't turn Mirror's Edge into a shooter, but did confirm that Faith will be a more powerful character than she was in the first game.

"The first game was a lot about running away from things. And, even though you want to have sections with that, you also want Faith... she's a powerful character and you want her to take control. You'll see a little bit more of that in this game."

EA Games Label boss Patrick Söderlund

"The first game was a lot about running away from things," he said. "And, even though you want to have sections with that, you also want Faith... she's a powerful character and you want her to take control. You'll see a little bit more of that in this game.

"Again, we're not going to turn this into a shooter. On the contrary, in fact. But we are going to evolve Faith and the story. Once we show more of this people will be genuinely excited. I am personally extremely excited about it."

Today EA executive Frank Gibeau described the new Mirror's Edge as an "open-world action adventure game".It's built using DICE's own Frostbite engine and is still in early development.

It had been rumoured to be in development for years prior to the announcement, with its existence somewhat of an open secret.

Söderlund said DICE has had a small team working on concepts for some time, but it wasn't until senior producer Sarah Jansson's eye-catching pitch that it was greenlit.

"Mirror's Edge is a game that's been very close to my heart and to DICE's heart for a long time," he said. "It was a new IP we made in 2008. It's a game that was loved by many. It's a game that frustrated some, to be fair.

"We knew we were going to come back to it one day, and we've had a small team on it on and off in conceptual mode. Not until Sarah approached me and [General Manager] Karl-Magnus Troedsson and said, 'I have something I want to pitch to you guys,' - we got that pitch and I was amazed by what she showed us. I said, 'yes, this is it. We're now going to do it.'

"We were waiting for the right idea. I'm so excited that the idea itself is so different and spectacular that it can only work on future machines, like the Xbox One and PS4 and PC. That's when I knew we had the right idea."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ry-different-compared-to-the-original-ea-says

You absolutely, positively can. You create the main thoroughfares, add shortcuts and barriers in the environments like you always would.

The only limit is time and creativity, but its definitely possible.

Top Bottom