• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open world, [Update: More game info, won't be a shooter]

hamchan

Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.

Explain, why can't they?

batbeg

I don't see this affecting time trials at all. One of the fun parts about time trials was finding the fastest route to the next marker, not just flawlessly reaching it. Open world game design kind of goes hand in hand with that.

I expect amazing things from this games social features, something like SSX and Infamous 2 (Note: I didn't play either of these games besides the demo of SSX). I expect amazing things from this game period. I just can't believe it.

Though I do share leadbelly's concern that this could negatively impact the "puzzle chamber" experience in many levels, hopefully the team will intelligently account for this...

Cyrano

Sounds great for a game about parkour. Just hope it doesn't become too much like a GTA clone... the "punching of dudes" is not exactly encouraging in that regard...

Absolutely fucking terrible. Mirror's Edge is a series about linear obstacle courses, not exploration. That's why the first game's appeal was time trials.

This seems like it misses the point of the series entirely. Open world is not suited for all games. This is one of them.

I think its a great idea. Hopefully they can figure out a good system of routes to take to wherever you want to go.

(I never cared about the time trials.)

red731

big-bang-theory-hyperventilating.gif

hold me

Holy shit. I've long dreamt of an open world Mirror's Edge.

The possibilities, just think of the parkour opportunities.

HOLY SHIT. It's too much, I need to go lie down.

AJ_Wings

I... don't know how to feel about this. Despite the final forced combat segment which was terrible, ME was all about finely crafted linear obstacles that encouraged the player to complete them as fast as possible. I loved how runner vision clued the player on where to go while still remaining consistent with the phenomenal art direction.

If they still had linear time trials and levels, I don't mind this new direction.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda tried posting this the day it was announced, but GAF died on me so I gave up. I thought you guys had read the description hehe.

But nevertheless, this is freaking amazing! Now keep MP out of it, and make using guns not good for me, and only let me go to the ground as long as it's not the streets, DICE, and we got something special. Take all you want doing the game, if it's not good, fans will kill you.

border

I suppose this was pretty much inevitable.

There is no way that EA would have greenlit a Mirror's Edge title where the game design is "15 linear stages that can be beaten in 6-8 hours, no multiplayer".

Open world allows them to bloat the game to 20-30 hours of collecting useless doodads, participating in haphazardly designed races from checkpoint to checkpoint, side missions, multiplayer. Not to mention that the microtransaction opportunities increase.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
YESYESYES.gif

I'm fine with this. If there's no rush and no time-limit as a mode I'm completely HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG DICE HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG-ing.

AJ_Wings said:
I... don't know how to feel about this. Despite the final forced combat segment which was terrible, ME was all about finely crafted linear obstacles that encouraged the player to complete them as fast as possible. I loved how runner vision clued the player on where to go while still renaming consistent with the phenomenal art direction.

I'm sure DICE is still going to have that. Alternate Routes besides the obvious existed in the first outing's story mode (instead of climbing a roof and jumping over to another one, you could wall around->180->jump to next wall->wallclimb->180->jump to the roof you were jumping to in the initial sequence) just now they're opening the world instead of being a "tube" like the first one.

I... don't know how to feel about this. Despite the final forced combat segment which was terrible, ME was all about finely crafted linear obstacles that encouraged the player to complete them as fast as possible. I loved how runner vision clued the player on where to go while still renaming consistent with the phenomenal art direction.

If they still had linear time trials and level, I don't mind this new direction.

Honestly, if it's a hub world with linear levels then I don't mind at all. But if the entire game is in an open world then they can't possibly design fine tuned obstacle courses that can be approached from all sides. The sheer nature of an obstacle course requires you to go through the...you know...obstacles.

Rampant uncharted style linearity in the past few years was bad because there were certain games that didn't need it and needed to be more open, that were more based around exploration and the corridors didn't allow it. Well Mirror's Edge is designed entirely around being linear; It doesn't need to be open.

Homogenization is terrible. Just let the game excel at what it does best.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If that's the case, then my interest would drop significantly. I view the original game as one of the greatest platformers ever made, and it'd be a shame if it were transformed into something else for the sequel.
Well I mean the debut trailer consisted of:

1.) A precision platforming section.
2.) A room where you were melee fighting five people.
3.) Faith standing on a building ledge overlooking a giant area.
4.) A cinematic cutscene of getting tattoos.

StuBurns

Banned
Explain, why can't they?
Okay.

Imagine you have to produce a single level, it's one building wide, and it covers ten buildings long. Mirror's Edge's 'tracks' are like that. The density of the design allows for multiple paths through those, despite being very geometrically narrow. If you remove all linear limitations, and make it basically like first person Assassin's Creed, it's just not possible to design every possible path with the minute detail of the tracks in the original.

That's not really a problem if you don't care about the time trails, because you don't need to pay much attention to the design to find shorter paths, as you'll just run a single mission once, but I personally don't care about the freedom of being open world, lots of games do that, no other games do what Mirror's Edge did. Truly 3D platforming.

Trickster

Okay.

Imagine you have to produce a single level, it's one building wide, and it covers ten buildings long. Mirror's Edge's 'tracks' are like that. The density of the design allows for multiple paths through those, despite being very geometrically narrow. If you remove all linear limitations, and make it basically like first person Assassin's Creed, it's just not possible to design every possible path with the minute detail of the tracks in the original.

That's not really a problem if you don't care about the time trails, because you don't need to pay much attention to the design to find shorter paths, as you'll just run a single mission once, but I personally don't care about the freedom of being open world, lots of games do that, no other games do what Mirror's Edge did. Truly 3D platforming.

Kinda feels like you're taking the pessimistic viewpoint in this. We have not really seen a single thing so far that would indicate any of what you seem to fear could/will happen.

I'd imagine that the guys at dice are smart enough to know that people want a mirror's edge 2 to feel and play like the first one, especially since it's a such a unique game, and people have been very vocal about wanting another one.

Roubjon

I really wish this wasn't the case. I don't need every game to be some uninspired arrangement of buildings so it can give me the illusion of moving within a city. I'd much rather have a more linear game that can focus on details that actually make the city come to life. I know I'm in the minority though.

ngff02

I wnated the original to be open world so when it wasn't I was let down quite a bit.

This is amazing news. The style/gameplay of Mirrors Edge lends well to open world.

Akira_83

Banned
dont care about linear vs open world either way to be honest

i care about combat

and if its NOT possible to beat this entire game without firing a single shot or engaging in combat, then fuck ME2, fuck DICE, etc etc

way to ruin my favorite game this gen

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Thank you Based DICE.

i care about combat

and if its NOT possible to beat this entire game without firing a single shot or engaging in combat, then fuck ME2, fuck DICE, etc etc

Since the trailer showed only speedy takedowns I'd say your worry is unfounded.

StuBurns

Banned
Kinda feels like you're taking the pessimistic viewpoint in this. We have not really seen a single thing so far that would indicate any of what you seem to fear could/will happen.

I'd imagine that the guys at dice are smart enough to know that people want a mirror's edge 2 to feel and play like the first one, especially since it's a such a unique game, and people have been very vocal about wanting another one.
Knowing what people want, and doing what those people want are not inherently connected. Appeasing the maybe a quarter of a million people who got into the time trails of ME is hardly going to be something EA give a shit about, and if they don't want resources put into that aspect of the design, Dice don't get to do it.

I thought Mirror's Edge 1 was boring, and I think it was due to it's linearity. Now that the second one is potentially open-world, it will be so much better. Can't wait for additional details.

i care about combat

You had to shoot guns and fight people in the first one you know

Also like I said in the other thread, open world traversal, scripted story levels and sections, like Far Cry 3. BRING THE HEAT.

Trickster

I'm not sure what to think of this. I have to see it in action.

My prediction: This news won't change much really. It will look like a prettier version of ME1, play pretty much the same with some tweaks. Running around will be as good and fun ( probably even better ) as it was in ME1, but rather than running through linear levels, you get to run around an "open" world on the roofs of buildings.

Personally can't see a downside to this.

Knowing what people want, and doing what those people want are not inherently connected. Appeasing the maybe a quarter of a million people who got into the time trails of ME is hardly going to be something EA give a shit about, and if they don't want resources put into that aspect of the design, Dice don't get to do it.

I'm sure there are multiplayer modes or maps in Battlefield 3 that very few people play, but they're still in the game. Dice is a good developer. I'd like to think they appreciate and respect the people that buy and play they're games.

And let's be honest here, the hook to ME is that it's fun as hell to move through the enviroment, and trying to do that as quickly and efficiently as possible. The game was practically build around it. Wouldn't make any sense for dice to change that in a negative way, just because they change from linear levels, to open world.

And my main point to my first post was that I think it's just to early to get so fearful/negative about the fact that it's open world. At least give them the benefit of the doubt until the first gameplay footage :)

Blizzard

Banned
It could be good due to freedom which could be lacking in the originals, or it could be bad due to lack of focused design.

I can see both sides, but I don't think I can really draw a conclusion so I'll just wait for more. :S

TripOpt55

This worries me as well. Open world isn't always better. The first game had this amazing level design. It had just enough options in routes so you had to figure out which to take. Same with moves in those routes. Which do you use to shave a little more time. There was this great risk reward aspect. Do I go for the tough part here or play it safe and try and shave time elsewhere. In an open world I feel we might lose some of that tight level design. Too many options. Too much world to build. Might dilute things. Even if they had some linear sections in that open world for missions it feels like it might make for a lot less platforming focus regardless.

But that is jumping to a lot of conclusions, so I will wait and see what happens when the game is ready to really be shown.

ezekial45

Banned
From the sound of it, MEreboot is like Jet Set Radio Future, as ME1 is like the original Jet Set Radio.

We might be even bound for the same type of divide amongst fans who prefer one over the other.

Akira_83

Banned
You had to shoot guns and fight people in the first one you know

Also like I said in the other thread, open world traversal, scripted story levels and sections, like Far Cry 3. BRING THE HEAT.

nope

i actually earned an achievement for not firing a single shot on my playthrough

obviously you didnt get that one!

pringles

Some levels/areas were pretty open already in the first one, so this is no surprise. I'm sure they'll still steer you in the right direction by the way rooftops are connected for example.

The game relies too much on sense of direction and speed that making it parkour-Skyrim wouldn't make sense. I'm not worried.

This is a big change from the original game. I mean it could be good and hey, open world is a big PR bullet point these days, but I just hope the tightness of the design in the first game isn't severely compromised.

Top Bottom