• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

mintylurb

Metalmurphy said:
The number of steps seem to be exactly the same on both versions, even the position is very very close, ofcourse the tiny difference in distance and angle would mess that up. This would probably be compared better on a cutscene shot.
There shouldn't be any difference in distance and angle. I took those pics as soon as the game's tutorial started and you can't move your character during that time. You can only change the game's camera and that's what I did to take those pictures.

As Psychotext pointed out, the zoomed in comparison pics show that the 360 ver does have some sort of AA.

Take a look at these pics and you'll see the 360 version look quite a bit cleaner than the ps3 version. Now, the 360 version doesn't always look that clean and it does have jaggies but it's less pronounced than the ps3 version.

PS3
PS3_05.jpg

XBOX 360
xbox360_05.jpg

Y2Kev said:
Want to get rid of jaggies? Do what I did-- play on a 19" shit SDTV over composite. BEAUTIFULEST IMAGE EVAR~
Lulz at poor ppl!!
13.gif

NameIess

It's funny how some people think all Asians should have accents...
I guess there's no such thing as an Asian American. :lol:

-SD-

Banned
mintylurb said:
Whew, finally finished d/ling the 360 version and it does look a bit cleaner than the ps3 version. Both consoles are hooked up to my Sammy 46" via HDMI and calibrated.

pics...
PS3 version looks better. Some detail is lost on the 360 version and it's a bit too bright.

mintylurb said:
From those pics the 360 version looks better.

Odd how the sky isn't blue at the top of the 360 version... it's grey. Pollution in 360 version confirmed! :lol

mintylurb said:
As Psychotext pointed out, the zoomed in comparison pics show that the 360 ver does have some sort of AA.
Don't bring me into this, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about!

vpance

CosmicGroinPull said:
Indeed. Faith's VA is also bad. She's asian, she should have an asian accent. Like Mei Ling in MGS1.

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but I kind of agree. She sounded too white. :lol I don't think it has to be like MGS1 Mei Ling 5 dolla voice though..

I will ask again but does anyone have an extra PS3 code? I'd like to give this time trial a whirl...

Game is awesome after a few more demo plays, I love it. PS3 all the way.

mintylurb said:

Take a look at these pics and you'll see the 360 version look quite a bit cleaner than the ps3 version. Now, the 360 version doesn't always look that clean and it does have jaggies but it's less pronounced than the ps3 version.
Looking "cleaner" doesn't mean it has AA. Count the steps. It's the same number of steps.

Oh and btw, I'm not saying it doesn't look better, it clearly does. I just think neither is using AA.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I think she should have a swedish accent, because everyone knows swedish girls are the shit. (swedish dudes, however, can gtfo. )

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
WOW. I just beat the demo and I absolutely love it. EA is killing it with these new IPs...

I'm definitely going to pick this up used after a few months (after I beat Dead Space, Left 4 Dead will keep me plenty busy). <3 EA.

Jak140

People know that "sounding Asian" is genetically predisposed right? :lol

Reminds me of this Simpsons episode:

Grandpa: Watch Matlock! Hike up yer, pants, aiiiiiiir widdle. Make friends with a Chinese man!
Chinese Man: Mr. Simpson, you're not supposed to leave the home
Grandpa: [bowing] Thank ya Ping-Pong.
Chinese Man: Uh, my name is Craig.
Grandpa: Suuuuuuuuuuure it is.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Jumping off the buildings in story mode is freaky as shit..

Talk about realism.. (no not like I've experienced jumping off a rooftoop :lol )

I think that staticky panic omfg heartattack audio ans shrieking screen from the wind is what does it.

Tieno

Jak140 said:
People know that "sounding Asian" is genetically predisposed right? :lol

Reminds me of this Simpsons episode:
I've heard tons of asians sound totally like natives of the place they live.

Slayer-33 said:
Jumping off the buildings in story mode is freaky as shit..

Talk about realism.. (no not like I've experienced jumping off a rooftoop :lol )

I think that staticky panic omfg heartattack audio ans shrieking screen from the wind is what does it.

Oh yeah, the first time was really scary. THen there's the *crunch**splat*

Barrett2

jon bones said:
WOW. I just beat the demo and I absolutely love it. EA is killing it with these new IPs...

I'm definitely going to pick this up used after a few months (after I beat Dead Space, Left 4 Dead will keep me plenty busy). <3 EA.

Seriously. This will be the first year in many that EA is getting tons of my cash.

Jak140

Tieno said:
I've heard tons of asians sound totally like natives of the place they live.

Yeah, accents are developed based on the language people around you speak, not your ethnicity. Oh GAF.:lol

Do you have to press a button to grab the poles you jump onto? there was this long jump onto pole that took me many man tries and i mashed buttons and finally caught on one..

Ledsen

momolicious said:
Do you have to press a button to grab the poles you jump onto? there was this long jump onto pole that took me many man tries and i mashed buttons and finally caught on one..

nope.

lostxii

momolicious said:
There's no button, you just have to align yourself with he pole.

Metalmurphy said:
Looking "cleaner" doesn't mean it has AA. Count the steps. It's the same number of steps.

Oh and btw, I'm not saying it doesn't look better, it clearly does. I just think neither is using AA.

Actually beyond3D has confirmed the 360 w/ 2XAA PS3 with none..
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1234546&postcount=1556

THey also discuss the tearing on PS3 and the slightly lower FPS on occasion.

I've played them both on my Samsung 1080p - and it was pretty evident.
That said - it's not a nightmarishly unplayable difference. Quite the contrary - just noticeable.

The demo blew me away. I love how fluid it feels once you get a good run going. Of course, once you get good at it, the demo portion is like 5 minutes. Still, it was really cool and very cinematic. I love the sense of weight and momentum Faith's moves have. I will definitely pick this up at some point.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
op_ivy said:
wha?

mirrors-edge-20081003022943971_640w.jpg

looks quite amazing to me. there is a scene during the tutorial where celeste looks a little odd due to the self-shadowing technique and how her face is shaded, but aside from that the details look great and i think the modeling is spot on. the enemies dont seem to have as much attention to detial though.

I only just realize that was an ingame model and not some real model from E3 or something. :lol

The demo does a great job of leaving you wanting more, bordering on too short perhaps. I had to fight the impulse to explore and screw up the flow of the game, but once I did, I enjoyed it.

Brobzoid said:
I think she should have a swedish accent, because everyone knows swedish girls are the shit. (swedish dudes, however, can gtfo. )

Having her screaming out Swedish Chef quotes instead of actual dialogue as she leaps rooftops = 200 Million Seller.

kaskade

Does anyone have an extra time trial code for either the PS3 or 360 version. I can't get my account activated on the Spanish site.

Draft

Liked the demo a great deal, but I think I will wait for the PC version. I don't think analog control added anything substantial, and I kept feeling like the whole experience would have been much more enjoyable with the precision of mouse control.

Llyranor

I just preordered from EB (PS3) today, but they didn't seem to have any codes. And it looks like I missed this Spanish site.

Would love an extra code!

Gilgamesh

Loved the demo, but I still don't like the cutscenes. It reminded me of that 7th Dragon TGS trailer where the silly art style completely clashed with the serious story.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Volcynika said:
Hell yeah!

SD defense force, woo woo!

I'm actually quite pissed that this game is so good. I was hoping there wouldn't be another must-buy title for me so soon :( AND skate. 2 comes out in January? Fuck you, EA. Good thing I bought another 20 shares of ERTS at your lows this week. Call it a "gamers hedge" :D

eso76

Thanks for the links Pana, you could tell the game used some different lighting engine to make lights bounce off surfaces, it makes a huge difference in realism.
Similar lighting techniques will probably start spreading (the new splinter cell is said to be using something similar) a huge step forward towards photorealism.

Besides AA, the game could also use some PGR style motion blur, hope it's an option on pc.

eso76 said:
Thanks for the links Pana, you could tell the game used some different lighting engine to make lights bounce off surfaces, it makes a huge difference in realism.
Similar lighting techniques will probably start spreading (the new splinter cell is said to be using something similar) a huge step forward towards photorealism.

Besides AA, the game could also use some PGR style motion blur, hope it's an option on pc.

The lighting is pretty standard. Any reasonable modelling package with a renderer can achieve what Mirror's Edge does. Because it is all baked into textures they can do essentially anything they want. Thing is there is a massive memory overhead by keeping all those .hdr lightmaps in memory. They also suffer in the dynamic lighting department by going this route. They are not able to move the sun or do dynamic time of day or dynamic environmental shadows because it would require insane amounts of baked in textures.

However, for the look they were going for and the game they built they used the exact right solution. Art Direction wise, using lots of white buildings with pops of colour actually makes the lighting look better than if the scene were a mishmash of colours.

-Kh-

Banned
I was browsing 2ch when I found this image, but I don't want to post it on the official thread, so I'll do it here

medge212.jpg

I just thought it was funny and wanted to share it.

Y2Kev said:
Want to get rid of jaggies? Do what I did-- play on a 19" shit SDTV over composite. BEAUTIFULEST IMAGE EVAR~]

HK-47 said:
Rock da SD!

*high five*

I think the jaggies are better than tearing, seriously >.<

commariodore64 said:
Actually beyond3D has confirmed the 360 w/ 2XAA PS3 with none..
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1234546&postcount=1556

THey also discuss the tearing on PS3 and the slightly lower FPS on occasion.

I've played them both on my Samsung 1080p - and it was pretty evident.
That said - it's not a nightmarishly unplayable difference. Quite the contrary - just noticeable.

You have a Mcaine Avatar and you bullshit just like him......sad! Anyway, over on those "other" forums, they say, or rather Grandmaster and his magical machine - say that there is screen tear in both, the ps3 is more noticable in the opening fly by, and the 360 happens during the game play. He is very unwilling to admit that the 360 might actually be worse, considering that all that have played both say that the 360 version may have slightly less jaggies, but does drop frames during game play, but you know......it's his "Expert" opinion - or the tools don't lie.....

Either way...... I've played both, seen'em with my own eyes, and the ps3 is visually more appealing. The 360 does have slight stutter in some scenes....but Grandmaster states that that is just cause the PS3 version tears more!.........."sigh"

Just play the fuckin games people!!!:D

methodman

Banned
Are we going to be able to change the control buttons? LB and L2 is fucking crazy for Xbox360 as the main buttons for this game :lol

Top Bottom